Farangs Equally To Blame For Crime In Pattaya

Ungabunga

I just read a story that appeared on Pattaya Daily News, wrote seemingly by a Thai journalist - who is keen to point out crimes perpetrated by farangs, saying that farangs are equally to blame.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.p...NEWS=0000002532

Ofcourse there is an 'undesirable' farang element here in Pattaya as with many places in the world and it makes me angry when I see british or other foreigners being arrested for paedphilia etc. on TV, but can they seriously blame farangs 'equally' for crime here? Surely they have conveniently forget all the shootings and drugs busts over the past few years mostly perpetrated by Thais? Could this be a kneejerk reaction to the recent bad publicity for Pattaya and they're looking for someone to blame and take attention away from them?

Interested to hear others thoughts on this..

What a strange article :o Is it supposed to take attention away from crimes committed by Thais?

I'm surprised it stopped short at blaming the victims of crime by being here.

The Alleged Paedophile was working and living in Bangkok, so why used as an example of crime by Farang in Pattaya?

Re the Brit accused of stabbing his wife

"The public prosecutor declined to prosecute as he believes, after consideration of the evidence, that there was a struggle with a knife in which she accidentally died. Witnesses testified to this.

So apparently no crime, but an accident.

Re" A British man has been arrested with the murder of his girlfriend."

He is suspected of the crime carried out in the UK - Not Pattaya.!!!!

Re "Italian convicts arrested by Pattaya Immigration"

Suspected of money laundering in ITALY - not Pattaya

Re " Pattaya Tourist Police caught young German man who has escaped fraudulent lawsui"

Again, wanted in GERMANY - not Pattaya. But he was here with an expired passport

The writer uses 19 cases as examples, 5 were not crimes committed in Pattaya, so he found 14 cases in an 18 month period to prove his point.

If he is a paid writer - he's not too good.

A very strange article

The farangs tourists are just as bad as the Thai`s in Pattaya I think that is fairly obvious

I can't recall many occasions where tourists have been responisble for shootings (apart from themselves at a shooting range perhaps).

The farangs tourists are just as bad as the Thai`s in Pattaya I think that is fairly obvious

I can't recall many occasions where tourists have been responisble for shootings (apart from themselves at a shooting range perhaps).

This is just another case of Farlangs bring all the problems to Thailand. Lets blame it on the Farlangs that way we can save FACE. Now lets look at all the kids that get raped by their Thai uncles in the village up- country and very little of this gets into the news papers.

I worked here with Father Brennen and co with the street kids project in 1991 so I have seen a lot of this with my own eyes. Look at the kids in the Camillian center all have HIV not all got it from their mother at birth.

Ask any Thai and they will tell you that none of this would happen if the foreigners were not here.

A lot of this would not happen if the Thai parents would stop selling their Kids.

My rant for Wednesday.

Cheers Tony :o

Besides from the pedophilia, the other cases were provoked or came from some type of conflict. The cases that are worrying that involve Thais are the unprovoked ones. Robberies gone bad are very scary for some people going there since there isn't much they can do about it. But the cases with the foreigners can easily be avoided by avoiding conflict with drunk people.

Its quite funny though that this would actually get published. Sort of shows what the Thais at this paper think of foreigners. Its shows the nationalism of Thais by it being able to get published.

Written by a foreigner? Charles Hackman?

Edited by jbsears

Very strange article. 'Another case of credit card fraud relates to Koreans, (who are obviously not farang)': I thought that 'farang' was Thai for foreigner !! ?? ie not Thai !!

I thought so too that "farang" means foreigner. That would means anyone outside of Thai nationality, would be a "farang", a foreigner. But somehow, the word 'farang" now denotes a foreigner from a western country. So, I wonder what they would call an Asian in Thai soil. :o

Next thing you know, they'll be blaming us bread-eaters for the screwed up airport. :o

Nationalism is a very dangerous and could end up in more Thai on Westerner violence. I'm packing these days... got one of those stun guns and one of them extendable clubs. I'd carry a gun if it was legal. Luckily I don't drink so I don't run into many drunk Thais.

Next thing you know, they'll be blaming us bread-eaters for the screwed up airport. :D

Nationalism is a very dangerous and could end up in more Thai on Westerner violence. I'm packing these days... got one of those stun guns and one of them extendable clubs. I'd carry a gun if it was legal. Luckily I don't drink so I don't run into many drunk Thais.

I checked with my tgf. she aren't sure about the legality of carrying a stun gun or extendable clubs. Is it legal? :o

Next thing you know, they'll be blaming us bread-eaters for the screwed up airport. :D

I checked with my tgf. she aren't sure about the legality of carrying a stun gun or extendable clubs. Is it legal? :o

Its not legal for foreigners, to carry any weapon except money and that is a must.

Cheers Tony

Very strange article. 'Another case of credit card fraud relates to Koreans, (who are obviously not farang)': I thought that 'farang' was Thai for foreigner !! ?? ie not Thai !!

I thought so too that "farang" means foreigner. That would means anyone outside of Thai nationality, would be a "farang", a foreigner. But somehow, the word 'farang" now denotes a foreigner from a western country. So, I wonder what they would call an Asian in Thai soil. :o

If you are Asian or Black, you are not farang.

Farang is the word used for a 'white westerner' not for everybody foreign.

After I posted the original message, they changed the title of the article from 'Farangs equally to blame for crime' to 'farangs contribute to crime' and inserted a farang name as the writer of the article instead of the thai name. Fair play for at least recognising the original article heading was cats piss.

When the new airport first opened I put on this forum that the Thais should be ashamed of the new Airport and it was a ###### disgrace well a lot of thai members came on telling me it was built by foreign companys. Now what does that tell you.

Cheers Tony :o

After I posted the original message, they changed the title of the article from 'Farangs equally to blame for crime' to 'farangs contribute to crime' and inserted a farang name as the writer of the article instead of the thai name. Fair play for at least recognising the original article heading was cats piss.

Yes I noticed that too, the journalist that the article was attributed to changed from a Thai to a farang. Obviously a high standard publication with impecible journalistic standards, morals and ethics.

Or is it just another outlet for crap hack journalists?

Correct! "Farang" comes from a derivative of the Thai word for French "Farangset". It may be a leftover from the days of Jesuit missionaries. It was the French who provided the first transliteration of the Thai alphabet into western alpha-numerics.

Correct! "Farang" comes from a derivative of the Thai word for French "Farangset". It may be a leftover from the days of Jesuit missionaries. It was the French who provided the first transliteration of the Thai alphabet into western alpha-numerics.

It's basically used to describe caucasians, though African-Americans will sometimes also be known as farang or as farang dam ('black farang').Other Asians are generally known by their country of origin (e.g. kon jeen - "Chinese people", kon yee-bpun - "Japanese people"), while people from the Indian Subcontinent are often known as kairk (which translates as "guest").

As for the origin of the word farang, it is open to debate,The term Arabs used for Eastern Europe in the seventh century was Rum, For Western Europe, the term Firinjia came to be used somewhat after that, and specially during the Crusades, since a large percentage of the Crusaders were Franks. Hence the term Firinjah stuck to all Western Europeans.

As Arab traders travelled to East Asia, the term was borrowed into the languages of that region. Initially describing the Portuguese, it was used for all "whites" later.

Edit. I had added a table showing the word variations in different languages but the table did not come out correctly when posted.

Edited by Acquiesce

Dead.