Large Scale Forest Fire Alert For Chiang Rai

george

Chiang Rai on Thai-Myanmar forest fire alert

CHIANG RAI: -- A large-scale forest fire raging out of control for three days is carrying dust, dirt and darkness from Myanmar to wide areas along the Thai-Myanmar border and Thai authorities are preparing for a possible spread of the conflagration across the mountainous frontier.

Seen from the Thai side, heavy smoke has been filling the skies of Mae Sai, Mae Fa Luang, Chiang Saen and Mae Chan districts for three days and ash has been deposited across a wide landscape.

As a result, many local residents at Thai-Myanmar border are suffering from eye irritation and fear of respiratory ailments from dirt, dust and possible toxic pollutants.

The fire broke out in a forest in Myanmar territory on the opposite of Huay Nam Rin village, Viangphangkham sub-district, Mae Sai district and spread to an area of about 200 rai or 320,000 square metres.

The severe fire has been raging through bamboo forest and dry deciduous forest leaves, which are tinder-dry before the onset on the rainy season, according to forestry observers.

Provincial officials are expressing concern that the wide-ranging blaze appears to be moving closer to Thai territory, prompting Thai officials to prepare for firefighting duties, especially near the Thai Army's 3rd Cavalry base in Chiang Rai province.

Many soldiers have been assigned to dig fire blocking trenches and to prepare for other possible fire-fighting duties.

It has been speculated that the ongoing forest fire may have been caused by villagers who may have negligently lighted a fire during land clearing and preparation for the new planting season, or irresponsibly burning forest tracks to drive wildlife out of the forest for hunting purposes.

--TNA 2007-03-09

Blame it on Myanmar and the hilltribes is a nice try.

This has been going on in whole northern thailand since December. I live 14 km south of Chiang Rai and our farm has been hit by two fires in February. In that area there have been quite big fires every day the last month.

Travelling by car from CR via Payao, Phrae, Uttaradit, Phitsanalok to Chaiyaphum two days ago we saw fires or traces of fire absolute everywhere. Not two km without a fire or ashes from old fires.

But this year it is worst than ever or as long I have been here, 5 years.

It is time for someone to tell Thai people that this is not good and try to stop it.

Someone that Thai people listen to.

:D:o:D

Jaidee has just been up north with his wife.He was complaining on how all the haze smelt like smoke and that you couldn't see the sun after 3pm.Now I know why.

You just thought he must be drunk and passed out in a BBQ place somewhere? :o

Update:

Over 400 children at risk from northern forest fire haze

CHIANG MAI: -- More than 400 children and childcare workers at a child care centre in this northern province are suffering from irritated eyes and breathing difficulties for several days due to bush fires in the surrounding mountains.

Bush fires and smog caused by villagers burning forest lands are the main culprits and the authorities are urging the villagers to stop the malpractice.

The burning of forestry land area has also created air pollution resulting in a smog of small particles of dust in the provincial seat, especially near reservoir in Mae Rim district, an area where bush fires have occurred frequently in the past.

Local residents, both adults and youngsters, often exercise near the reservoir but now must cover their mouths and noses with masks. Many are experiencing breathing difficulty.

Because of the prolonged dry spell and air pollution, artificial rainmaking workers are scheduled to begin their activities by seeding the cloud cover on Monday, but problems remain due to low air moisture and thick haze in the province.

It is not yet known whether visibility will be sufficient to allow helicopters and other small aircraft to fly that day.

--TNA 2007-03-10

It is time for someone to tell Thai people that this is not good and try to stop it.

Maybe with your anger you should join that crazy man down on Patong.

People in the region have been burning fallow fields in the hills and valleys in the region for alot longer than your five years in-country. Perhaps you can come up with a more economical method for clearing and fertilizing land.

Maybe with your anger you should join that crazy man down on Patong.

People in the region have been burning fallow fields in the hills and valleys in the region for alot longer than your five years in-country. Perhaps you can come up with a more economical method for clearing and fertilizing land.

You call that anger ?????

They have been using other methods in the west for long time. Maybe one of them would work even in Southeast Asia?

Regards

I just made a mention in the general topics forum,but everybody is allready speaking of it.Here also,can't see the sky for days,eyes getting burned,dry and it is really annoying.Hope the rain comes early this year,nobody can stay longterm like this.is it really true the air is equal as five sigarette packets a day when breathing??

or only in the most poluted areas??Really amazes me,good health to all and everybody in the north.

What amazes me more is that the local governmetn does not seem to be doing about it. We blame the Burmese for causing the haze. However, I also think that Thais are also partly responsible for this. Just go outside and see your neighbor burn dry leaves!

The smoke rises a bit, cools and then just hungs there right above you almost hugging the ground.

This is the worst haze/smog I have experienced in my eight years in Chiang Rai.

Chiang Rai on Thai-Myanmar forest fire alert

CHIANG RAI: -- A large-scale forest fire raging out of control for three days is carrying dust, dirt and darkness from Myanmar to wide areas along the Thai-Myanmar border and Thai authorities are preparing for a possible spread of the conflagration across the mountainous frontier.

Seen from the Thai side, heavy smoke has been filling the skies of Mae Sai, Mae Fa Luang, Chiang Saen and Mae Chan districts for three days and ash has been deposited across a wide landscape.

As a result, many local residents at Thai-Myanmar border are suffering from eye irritation and fear of respiratory ailments from dirt, dust and possible toxic pollutants.

The fire broke out in a forest in Myanmar territory on the opposite of Huay Nam Rin village, Viangphangkham sub-district, Mae Sai district and spread to an area of about 200 rai or 320,000 square metres.

The severe fire has been raging through bamboo forest and dry deciduous forest leaves, which are tinder-dry before the onset on the rainy season, according to forestry observers.

Provincial officials are expressing concern that the wide-ranging blaze appears to be moving closer to Thai territory, prompting Thai officials to prepare for firefighting duties, especially near the Thai Army's 3rd Cavalry base in Chiang Rai province.

Many soldiers have been assigned to dig fire blocking trenches and to prepare for other possible fire-fighting duties.

It has been speculated that the ongoing forest fire may have been caused by villagers who may have negligently lighted a fire during land clearing and preparation for the new planting season, or irresponsibly burning forest tracks to drive wildlife out of the forest for hunting purposes.

--TNA 2007-03-09

This has been going on in whole northern thailand since December. I live 14 km south of Chiang Rai and our farm has been hit by two fires in February. In that area there have been quite big fires every day the last month.

Travelling by car from CR via Payao, Phrae, Uttaradit, Phitsanalok to Chaiyaphum two days ago we saw fires or traces of fire absolute everywhere. Not two km without a fire or ashes from old fires.

I thought he already did tell them to stop setting fire to anything that will burn... I'm sure he did..??

Anyway it's true, I've also seen alot of fires in the north this year and today especially the smoke is BAD! It's reduced visability alot. The only positive is the sun looks great when setting.

Today is utterly dreadful in C Rai, it really is something to behold.

Is it lots of little fires....... I suspect not.

But I do see big 1-2 rai fires going on around my house at all times of day. They are not controlled or monitored and honestly do not serve any purpose other than laziness. People here try to burn Banana trees :o and then leave the blackened stalks standing. There is another way which is to just cut them down. Ever heard of the creeping forest?

I've asked my wife ( native of this area ) who will not offer any excuse other than thats how it has always been .

Anyways I'm a smoker , so what the heck can I say :D

Marlboro Man

Edited by OneeyedJohn

Controlled firing of fields in the dry season is extremely important to stop wild fires.

When farmers fire the dry grass of their fields this is a natural barrier against the wild fires, who otherwise rage through the land and burn everything. In addition to that the ashes give necessary minerals to the earth for the new planting season.

You should understand the details before going off on a misplaced rant.

And yes, been a few days ago in the area near the Laos border when the haze just started, reminded me a bit of Borneo many years ago where wildfires were raging through the island and left the sun just a small pale orange spot in the grey sky.

Edited by ColPyat

Fair comment Colpyat, but that applies to the rice paddies only.........surely?

They burn the stalks flood with water and start again, even here they are trying to do a rice crop bi-annually.

Depends.

On our farm after the maize harvest the remaining stalks are directly plowed under as they make excellent fertilizer (we do not use any chemical fertilizer at all). The grass that grows later will be fired off on all farms in a controlled way. That is the biggest danger in the dry season, when it is head high and bone dry. Farmers who fail to do that do get reprimanded by the Puyai as the fires are a danger to everyone. More than a few houses have been burned because of that, and orchards destroyed.

Wildfires are a natural event anyhow, to some extend, and help the forest to rejuvenate itself.

burns are a mixed bag. on the good side, control burning often keeps brush from getting too untenable. There's too much fallow area in northern Thailand to keep down by cutting or scraping, so if no burning were done, the fodder would accumulate and the rare fire would become a firestorm.

I come from northern California where the rainy seasons are opposite what they are here. In CA there's also a long drawn-out dry season. Oddly, even though CA has lots more infrastructure to fight fires (and few thatch and bamboo huts), a lot more homes burn over there than over here.

Of course, burning gets overdone here. I have one Chinese/Thai worker who has a habit of flicking his lighter at roadside fodder wherever he roams.

I have an 8 rai hillside with 220 baby pine trees we planted - that is weed chocked (3 meters high on average) and I'm worried some ding-dong like my friend will stroll along and casually flick his lighter at some dry grass at the base of the hill. FPOOFff - the whole hill would go up in ten minutes with flames sixty feet high. I know, 'cause we've burned that hill a few times in past years. I'm hoping the pines survive long enough to slowly choke out the weeds - and to someday have a nice little pine forest - but it's a tenuous hope at best.

I'm hoping the pines survive long enough to slowly choke out the weeds - and to someday have a nice little pine forest - but it's a tenuous hope at best.

The best thing to do is to keep a few meters at the borders of your plantation free of any plant, as a barrier against fires. many fires do happen also naturally, come from one overgrown field to the next. An area without any grass or burnable plants does help to stop it.

Aye that is true, i've seen a natural fire start from a lightning strike which is another miracle of nature (and watch the Thai's run for cover), but the point is, in my opinion, the excess haze which everybody who has lived here for a while says is unusual is caused by excessive man made burning off.. Burning off is good for the soil, sometimes, but you are also loosing minerals to the air from the combustion reaction. I believe mulching/composting is the best way to go, yeah ok burn off now and then but this is ridiculous. :o

Anyway i think we can all agree on hoping the smoke f's off sooner rather than later...

The burning of gabbage and dry leaves in the countryside is also one major cause to the haze in the north. The haze was so bad that visibility is as low as less than 30 meters in some areas in Chiangrai. Driving cars head lights has to be turned on. :o

Jaidee has just been up north with his wife.He was complaining on how all the haze smelt like smoke and that you couldn't see the sun after 3pm.Now I know why.

I'm back in sunny Chonburi now... after a couple of rainy days the air is clear of haze here.

Last week when we drove through the northern provinces, the smoke haze got worse as we headed east towards Nan.

The burning off was going on everywhere we went... from Mae Hong Son through to Phrae... including the national parks.

I heard on the radio this morning that some airlines have refused to land at CM International Airport, citing lack of visibility is a major safety concern.

I heard on the radio this morning that some airlines have refused to land at CM International Airport, citing lack of visibility is a major safety concern.

That can't be good! For all who care it's worse today, has gotten worse and worse over the last few days, eyes starting to sting now. Could see a nice long glow along Suthep last night from the Highway...

There is another thread "What is the source of the pollution in chaing mai" or something like that with some very good posts and sat images, maybe these threads should/could be merged.. I can't find that thread anymore... :o

Edited by drenoi

Burning isn't the best way to deal with good land stewartship. The stubble should be plowed into the soil. This adds humus to the soil and helps prevent both wind and water erosion. Most of the burnt material ends up flying around in the air and does very little good for the soil.

That can't be good! For all who care it's worse today, has gotten worse and worse over the last few days, eyes starting to sting now. Could see a nice long glow along Suthep last night from the Highway...

There is another thread "What is the source of the pollution in chaing mai" or something like that with some very good posts and sat images, maybe these threads should/could be merged.. I can't find that thread anymore... :D

Hear hear to:

"Burning isn't the best way to deal with good land stewartship. The stubble should be plowed into the soil. This adds humus to the soil and helps prevent both wind and water erosion. Most of the burnt material ends up flying around in the air and does very little good for the soil."

Does Thailand have the equivalent of an "Environmental Protection Agency" ??? 55555 :o

I think the LOS needs some serious protection on many levels... Too many burners of all kinds... Ever see folks burning their plastic trash in their front yards -- UGH!!! Disgusting!!! Do Thais know how toxic burning plastic is???

As for slash and burn farming methods, Thais (and the rest of the world!!!) need to get hip to the 21st century!!!

Composting is loving soil generation and it saves water as well! Increasing Biomass is increasing the health of the Planet!!!

Burning excess Biomass is a sin against Nature and it is a "no-brainer" technique of farming that ultimately results in decreased soil nutrients and decreased crop yields!!! Google "permaculture" is you want to learn sane and sensible farming methods!

Burning is a HUGE waste of good cellulose (which could be converted into Biofuels with the right ingenuity!!!)

This kind of pollution SUCKS BIG TIME!!!

It is one of the BIG REASONS why I moved out of the Chiang Mai area after one year of sucking in such nasty air...

It is one of the BIG REASONS why Chiang Mai and surrounding areas have a VERY HIGH rate of LUNG CANCER!!!

Who do we CONTACT to get active on this level of environmental obscenity!!!

BURNING TRASH and excess vegetation went out of style in the USA a GENERATION AGO!!! Time to learn how to compost!!! Can you say "permaculture" ???

When will SouthEast Asians get hip to these realities and starting TREASURING their ENVIRONMENT???

Who do we CONTACT to help people WAKE UP and GET EDUCATED???

Just a few thoughts from a person who has seen MANY Thai mountains on fire while driving at night --- check it for yourself if you don't believe me... The satellite pics show that there are PLENTY of fires in THAILAND!

TIT,

dseawarrior

now situated near a sea breeze ~~~ mmmmmm!

:D

It is one of the BIG REASONS why Chiang Mai and surrounding areas have a VERY HIGH rate of LUNG CANCER!!!

dseawarrior

now situated near a sea breeze ~~~ mmmmmm!

:o

where do you get your stats? do you have a webpage link to health stats in CM and/or other cities in Thailand? Something like that would be very helpful to someone (like me) planning to retire to LOS.

thanks

zippy

need to get hip to the 21st century!

where do you get your stats? do you have a webpage link to health stats in CM and/or other cities in Thailand? Something like that would be very helpful to someone (like me) planning to retire to LOS.

thanks

zippy

There are stats, some very good ones, somewhere on this site too, get zippy and have a look around yourself, he is certainly (and unfortunately) correct.

need to get hip to the 21st century! I like that! and I think you're right, the only way they will get it to stop is if they make 'recycling' trendy (or profitable) to the Thais.

A Thai person told me yesterday that from today onwards they will lock up anyone who is caught lighting a fire! Doesn't make me feel any better, it still feels like a nuclear winter here!!

In my opinion, free of charge, to get change in this part of the world is going to be hard. We need to go to the UN and tell them - there is little point in already developed countries trying to limit their pollution when Asian countries are doing NOTHING. We need to get the funding to put together a team of combustion experts who can travel to sites (manufacturing, refining, mining etc) and do a free analysis (because there is no way they will want to pay for it) on how they can improve their emissions, then the funding needs to be there to actually implement the changes. If you have ever seen a flue stack in Thailand you can clearly see the pollutants coming out the top (yellow smoke, bright white smoke, dark smoke). This is the industrial side of things. On the other front we need education teams of Thais & westerners (they wont like that) who can travel to each province say and present the hazards of burning off. I once saw a picture of a set of lungs riddled with black spots from smog, we need graphic images pretty colours and games that the Thais can relate to (and stop them from falling asleep).

I hate legal paperwork so if anyone knows about how to make proposals to the UN or even overseas protection agencies for funding I am willing to help and can travel to sites to advise on cleaning up their act! This could be a good business oppurtunity if anyone is interested...

"When Toxin was the PM the haze wasn't NEARLY so bad!!!!" - Surely then Toxsin has paid all his northern cronies to start the fires? :o