People In Northern Regions Warned Of Possible Earthquakes

Jai Dee

People in Northern regions warned of possible earthquakes

Director of the National Disaster Warning Center, Mr.Smith Thamasaros (สมิทธ ธรรมสโรช) warns people in Chiang Rai (เชียงราย), Chiang Mai (เชียงใหม่), Phayao (พะเยา), and Mae Hong Son (แม่ฮ่องสอน) to stay cautious of earthquakes.

Mr. Smith say the 4.5-Ritcher earthquake yesterday (April 22) had the center at the north part of Wiengpapao (เวียงป่าเป้า) District in Chiang Rai. The earthquake reportedly caused landslides in Mae Ta (แม่ทา) District. He says earthquakes may happen again around the area. He says it is difficult to predict whether earthquakes may erupt; therefore, he would like people to stay vigilant of possible the natural disaster.

Mr. Smith says warning towers have been set up at Mae Sai (แม่สาย) District in Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, and Mae Hong Son, planning to set up nationwide. The warning towers will be developed to cover air pollution warning.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 23 April 2007

Related topic:

Earthquakes!, Would Thai Condoes come tumbling down?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=117416

...Mr.Smith Thamasaros?

A thai-farang ?

People in Northern regions warned of possible earthquakes

Director of the National Disaster Warning Center, Mr.Smith Thamasaros (สมิทธ ธรรมสโรช) warns people in Chiang Rai (เชียงราย), Chiang Mai (เชียงใหม่), Phayao (พะเยา), and Mae Hong Son (แม่ฮ่องสอน) to stay cautious of earthquakes.

Mr. Smith say the 4.5-Ritcher earthquake yesterday (April 22) had the center at the north part of Wiengpapao (เวียงป่าเป้า) District in Chiang Rai. The earthquake reportedly caused landslides in Mae Ta (แม่ทา) District. He says earthquakes may happen again around the area. He says it is difficult to predict whether earthquakes may erupt; therefore, he would like people to stay vigilant of possible the natural disaster.

Mr. Smith says warning towers have been set up at Mae Sai (แม่สาย) District in Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, and Mae Hong Son, planning to set up nationwide. The warning towers will be developed to cover air pollution warning.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 23 April 2007

Related topic:

Earthquakes!, Would Thai Condoes come tumbling down?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=117416

Living most of my life in California (very active earthquake area), there is an unproven "urban myth" that often earthquakes happen when there is unusually hot weather. My company workmates were discussing this one day years ago during a spell of very hot weather. One person loudly declaimed that the idea was complete bull...t, scientifically unproven, etc. The NEXT DAY, Loma Prieta earthquake occured in Northern California/San Francisco Bay area...pancaked freeway overpasses, collapsed building, etc. The doubter was noteably silent on the subject thereafter.

I think I'm moving to a hut in the jungle..... :o

You enjoyed the pollution last month? :o

Enjoy? No, can't say that I did. But it didn't particularly bother me, either, and certainly isn't written down in my book as bad luck. Guess I'm just not much of a whinger yet. Patience, patience, all in good time. :D

More warning towers? I only hope that they are built to withstand earthquakes.

Thailand the hub of warning towers…….Tsunami, flash floods, air pollution what next?

Thailand the hub of warning towers…….Tsunami, flash floods, air pollution what next?

Earthquake warning towers will be built to fall over in the case of an earthquake. In that manner, if you happen to glance out of your window and notice the eyesore is no longer there, you can be sure there has been an earthquake - or a large truck has rumbled past.

You enjoyed the pollution last month? :o

Enjoy? No, can't say that I did. But it didn't particularly bother me, either, and certainly isn't written down in my book as bad luck. Guess I'm just not much of a whinger yet. Patience, patience, all in good time. :D

Actually, it didn't bother me either, until the Beeb and CNN started broadcasting from the middle of a cloud on Doi Intanon 24 hours a day claiming that it was puffs of smoke in downtown Chiang Mai. Didn't do much for tourist-oriented businesses, if you know what I mean. :D

Earthquake warning towers will be built to fall over in the case of an earthquake. In that manner, if you happen to glance out of your window and notice the eyesore is no longer there, you can be sure there has been an earthquake - or a large truck has rumbled past.

Splendid idea and if they could be engineered to fall in a specific direction on to a large gong then they wouldn’t need to put any loud speakers on top to warn people the bonggggg would alert you to the recent quake.