If You Have Happy Dtac, Read This

Hey,

I don't think anyone has written anything about this yet :o , so let me explain:

DTAC has a new "deal" allowing you to extend the validity of your SIM card for up to 365 days ( :D ) for a very reasonable fee (and nope, it is not the SIMPLE SIM that I am talking about).

- 2 Baht for 30 days

- 6 Baht for 90 days

- 12 Baht for 180 days (up to 365 Days).

From any Happy Dtac package (even the cheapest ones 25 Satangs/min), do the following:

- Dial *1013, listen to the prompt and dial 9 for English

- Follow the step by step procedure

- You will get an SMS confirming the new validity of your SIM card.

You may call as many times as you need... until you reach 360 days. You may have to add 30 days at a time when close to 360 days.

It works, I was able to extend 2 SIM cards (one with the 1B/min promotion and one with the 25 satang/min (3B first min) promotion) up to 360 days. :D :D :bah:

:D

Maybe worth a sticky?

Enjoy,

Laurent

PS: Who still wants an AIS or TrueMove prepaid SIM after that?

Edited by laurent

Good tip Laurant!

Is there an equally simple way to subscribe to cheap gprs/Edge packages, like one2call offers by dialling *138?

I have a Dtac sim as a back-up for when the AIS gprs slows to a halt, but the best I could manage was to let the call center change the auto deduction to 1 Baht/min instead of the 0.01Baht/kb. On the latter system I ended up with a simcard with -240 Baht credit (yes that's minus) after an hour of surfing Thaivisa :o

If you're downloading on a good day with Edge you get 15 kBps or 120kbps which equals to 1.2 Baht per second!!!

Ouch...

Good tip Laurant!

Is there an equally simple way to subscribe to cheap gprs/Edge packages, like one2call offers by dialling *138?

I have a Dtac sim as a back-up for when the AIS gprs slows to a halt, but the best I could manage was to let the call center change the auto deduction to 1 Baht/min instead of the 0.01Baht/kb. On the latter system I ended up with a simcard with -240 Baht credit (yes that's minus) after an hour of surfing Thaivisa :o

If you're downloading on a good day with Edge you get 15 kBps or 120kbps which equals to 1.2 Baht per second!!!

Ouch...

I think they have 2 packages: 39 Baht for unlimited GPRS for 1 day, or 239 Baht for unlimited GPRS for 7 days.

Hope that helps :D

GPRS 1 วัน 39 ใช้ GPRS ได้ไม่จำกัดปริมาณ ในระยะเวลา 1 วันเต็ม

GPRS 7 วัน 249 ใช้ GPRS ได้ไม่จำกัดปริมาณ ในระยะเวลา 7 วันเต็

Laurent

packages depend on which SIM you have, I checked with the DTAC shop when I bought my Happy Sim but they turned out to be wrong when I did the call centre... anyone know a more direct route to set up the packages as per AIS? happy.co.th has a useful registration site where you can check useage and see which packages you have but no way to set them up there that I could see. they have itemised billing as well. BY the way you have to pay for the call centre, 3 baht and the english service is crap ended up at voice mail. So far AIS much better!

That's the problem with Dtac...

I use maybe 1 hour per day. No package would mean 60 Baht/day=1800 Baht/month.

If I take the 7 days for 239 Baht it's still over 1000 Baht/month.

On AIS I get 60 hours for 200 Baht, at the moment they even throw in an extra 40 hours for free!

Plus it's so easy to subscribe to a 10 year old can do it...

In my location (mostly Pattaya, about 15 km outside the center) 80% of the time AIS is about 50% faster then Dtac. International speeds hovering at 150-200kbps.

The other 20% of the time it simply doesn't work at all! That's where Dtac comes in.

Still Dtac seldom gives me over 100kbps and in my scenario would cost 5 times of what AIS would cost me! (1 hour/day)

A simpler method of getting the extension without having to go through the 'press 1 for...' routine is the following:

2) apply via Express Mobile Service at *113* following with number of required usage date and then press #, and

apply via www.happy.co.th. The system will send SMS to confirm once a request is completed.

Example: *113*180# and you have a 180 day extension. I punched it in twice (365 days max) and now have service until this time next year. :o

BTW laurent, thanks for the tip, very nice.

A simpler method of getting the extension without having to go through the 'press 1 for...' routine is the following:

2) apply via Express Mobile Service at *113* following with number of required usage date and then press #, and

apply via www.happy.co.th. The system will send SMS to confirm once a request is completed.

Example: *113*180# and you have a 180 day extension. I punched it in twice (365 days max) and now have service until this time next year. :o

Thanks Tywais. Actually when I wrote the post, the Express service was not up and running yet.

YES, it is definitely easier :D

Thanks Tywais. Actually when I wrote the post, the Express service was not up and running yet.

YES, it is definitely easier :D

Do it exactly as the Example: *113*180# and you have a 180 day extension.

I tried the way Laurent the original poster said and could not get it to work but when I tried the *113*180# it worked perfectly and I got an SMS from DTAC right away.

Thanks to both posters and admin, this really needs to be a sticky.

LSM :D

Just tried it and it said my number has been active for less than 3 months, so they won't extend. :o

Yes, good point. I confirm that your SIM has to have been active for at least 3 months before you can extend your validity for a year.

They just want to avoid having people keeping 10 Sim cards with 1 year validity and never use them.

Laurent

Edited by laurent

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
packages depend on which SIM you have, I checked with the DTAC shop when I bought my Happy Sim but they turned out to be wrong when I did the call centre... anyone know a more direct route to set up the packages as per AIS? happy.co.th has a useful registration site where you can check useage and see which packages you have but no way to set them up there that I could see. they have itemised billing as well. BY the way you have to pay for the call centre, 3 baht and the english service is crap ended up at voice mail. So far AIS much better!

Im moving to Thailand in January, can you enlighten me as to what I need to go wireless with my laptop in Bangkok, with these Sim Cards or DTAC, I am a novice, You seem to know what your talking about. Thank You.

• 3 weeks later...

Im moving to Thailand in January, can you enlighten me as to what I need to go wireless with my laptop in Bangkok, with these Sim Cards or DTAC, I am a novice, You seem to know what your talking about. Thank You.

all info here:

http://www.happy.co.th/main_en.htm

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Good tip Laurant!

I have a Dtac sim as a back-up for when the AIS gprs slows to a halt, but the best I could manage was to let the call center change the auto deduction to 1 Baht/min instead of the 0.01Baht/kb. On the latter system I ended up with a simcard with -240 Baht credit (yes that's minus) after an hour of surfing Thaivisa sad.gif

Ouch...

Math's a bit off there Monty... 120kbps is kiloBITS per second. They charge 0.01 per kiloBYTE...

Still criminally expensive though (out-of-bundle kilobytes or minutes, that is)

Good tip Laurant!

I have a Dtac sim as a back-up for when the AIS gprs slows to a halt, but the best I could manage was to let the call center change the auto deduction to 1 Baht/min instead of the 0.01Baht/kb. On the latter system I ended up with a simcard with -240 Baht credit (yes that's minus) after an hour of surfing Thaivisa sad.gif

Ouch...

Math's a bit off there Monty... 120kbps is kiloBITS per second. They charge 0.01 per kiloBYTE...

5 year old numbers, check the date of the OP

Good tip Laurant!

Ouch...

5 year old numbers, check the date of the OP

Oops. Lol.

They don't appear (from a cursory check) to have a "per kbyte" rate any more, but... the "out of bundle" rate is still B1/minute

The question of lengthening validity or expiration dates to their maximum comes up often here.

The process described in the original post is still valid, at least through March 31, 2012.

Regarding data packages, and the charges per Kb or Mb or even per Min (for time-based plans) may have changed so those should be re-verified. For most time-based packages the overage fee is 1.07 baht/min, some plans, I recall, have an overage charge of 0.002 baht/Kb (don't hold me to that).