Thailand Still The World's Top Holiday Destination

george

Thailand still the world's top holiday destination

A recent survey of international travellers has identified Thailand as the world's top travel destination despite a widespread perception that the country suffers from "civil unrest".

The survey, conducted by Visa International Asia Pacific and the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA), found that 52 per cent of respondents were considering Asia as their next travel destination, 9 per cent more than in the previous year's survey.

The survey, called "Asia Travel Intentions 2007", questioned more than 5,000 international travellers from 10 key travel markets around the world and examined their travel intentions, as well as the drivers of and barriers to their travel.

Thailand was again rated the No1 destination on travellers' holiday lists, followed by Japan and China. At least half of the respondents in each market surveyed chose Thailand as their most likely holiday spot despite international media attention on Thailand's civil unrest in the weeks before the survey was conducted. They emphasised the country's reputation as a relaxing place where visitors could enjoy the local culture, natural beauty and friendly people.

-- The Nation 2007-05-01

well if this isn't taylor made for google fun ........................... :D

Australia voted world's top destination

By Christine Flatley

December 20, 2006

More than 33,000 people from 170 countries took part in the survey, answering questions about travel behaviour and motivations.

They were also asked to rate their favourite country, with 10 per cent of those surveyed preferring Australia above all others.

Australia was most popular among British and American travellers, and was even rated the best country by Aussies themselves.

Italy came in second with 6.3 per cent of the votes, followed by Thailand with 5.7 per cent.

Thailand still most likely holiday destination -- survey

Agence France-Presse

Last updated 10:28pm (Mla time) 04/24/2007

ignoring the FACT that Australia blows them out of the water .................... :o

it's also interesting to note the editing of the title from the international release to the domestic release ................ :D

talking it up alone WILL NOT solve the problem ....................... :D

"Civil unrest"????

The Thais are incapable of it, and that is (fundamentally) what makes Thailand so attractive as a holiday destination.

"Some chattering amongst the chattering classes" doesn't get a journalist's piece past the editor, though.

The library that had a section for "Newspapers and non-fiction" was run by someone with clarity of mind.

You'd think these lovely, smiling folks would run out of their gee-aren't-we-the-greatest stuff eventually, but I gather not. There seems to be an an iron law of mathmatics at work here: an inverse ratio between the significance of the country and the amount of self-congratulatory rubbish it puts out.

A recent survey of international travellers has identified Thailand as the world's top travel destination despite a widespread perception that the country suffers from "civil unrest".

The survey, conducted by Visa International Asia Pacific and the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA), found that 52 per cent of respondents were considering Asia as their next travel destination, 9 per cent more than in the previous year's survey.

The survey, called "Asia Travel Intentions 2007", questioned more than 5,000 international travellers from 10 key travel markets around the world and examined their travel intentions, as well as the drivers of and barriers to their travel.

Thailand was again rated the No1 destination on travellers' holiday lists, followed by Japan and China. At least half of the respondents in each market surveyed chose Thailand as their most likely holiday spot despite international media attention on Thailand's civil unrest in the weeks before the survey was conducted. They emphasised the country's reputation as a relaxing place where visitors could enjoy the local culture, natural beauty and friendly people.

-- The Nation 2007-05-01

1. Bad journalism and VERY bad and misleading headline.

2. Thailand might be -one of*- Asia's top-destinations but not "the world's top travel destination" as the article claims.

3. Thailand will probably reach some 13-16 million tourists in the next few years but cannot reach, by far, other popular World destinations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_Rankings

http://www.world-tourism.org/newsroom/Rele...5/May/asian.htm

ps: more recent info not available.

* -one of- Asia's top-destinations: China (International 41+ million) and Hong Kong (Chinese tourists mainly 21+ million) attract many more tourists.

LaoPo

You'd think these lovely, smiling folks would run out of their gee-aren't-we-the-greatest stuff eventually, but I gather not. There seems to be an an iron law of mathmatics at work here: an inverse ratio between the significance of the country and the amount of self-congratulatory rubbish it puts out.

I think (IMHO)that they are only trying to follow the USA model. If it works for America, why shouldn't it work for them. I think the American constitution covers these issues quite clearly! :o

"Civil unrest"????

The Thais are incapable of it, and that is (fundamentally) what makes Thailand so attractive as a holiday destination.

"Some chattering amongst the chattering classes" doesn't get a journalist's piece past the editor, though.

The library that had a section for "Newspapers and non-fiction" was run by someone with clarity of mind.

Ehem, i believe you forget that the southernmost provinces experience an insurgency/soon to be war. Seems that Thais are perfectly capable of civil unrest. Also contemporary history shows us that Thais are very human, and Thailand has experienced many periods previously of civil unrest.

As to the "world's top tourist destination" - i doubt that Thailand comes anywhere close to Italy or Spain.

I think (IMHO)that they are only trying to follow the USA model. If it works for America, why shouldn't it work for them. I think the American constitution covers these issues quite clearly! :o

<deleted> ????????

care to explain how you worked america into this ...........................

-- The Nation 2007-05-01

1. Bad journalism and VERY bad and misleading headline.

2. Thailand might be -one of*- Asia's top-destinations but not "the world's top travel destination" as the article claims.

3. Thailand will probably reach some 13-16 million tourists in the next few years but cannot reach, by far, other popular World destinations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_Rankings

http://www.world-tourism.org/newsroom/Rele...5/May/asian.htm

ps: more recent info not available.

* -one of- Asia's top-destinations: China (International 41+ million) and Hong Kong (Chinese tourists mainly 21+ million) attract many more tourists.

LaoPo

your far to polite , Sir

Official Thai statistics this month showed Asian tourists have begun turning away from Thailand, prompting concern that holidaymakers might be avoiding the kingdom because of its continuing political woes.

The VISA-PATA survey found that of those intending to make an international trip in the next two years, 52 percent were considering Asia as their next travel destination, a nine percent increase from the previous year's survey.

Sweden had the highest number of people considering Asia, it said.

Nearly half, or 47 percent of respondents in the VISA-PATA survey identified "terrorism" as the top barrier to travel, and Indonesia was the destination most commonly identified as affected by it. Sri Lanka and the Philippines followed.

"In an atmosphere of conflict and misunderstanding, the travel and tourism industry can be an incredibly powerful force for conciliation," said PATA president and chief executive officer Peter de Jong.

The survey was conducted in Australia, Canada, China, Germany, India, Japan, South Korea, Sweden, United Kingdom and the United States.

PATA, a not-for-profit organization, represents government tourism bodies, airlines and other travel industry companies.

Cite

Every year I see a press release saying Thailand is the top tourist destination, yet when the numbers come in they are always in the high teens when it comes to ranking.

2004 (pre-coup/tsunami)

1. France

2. Spain

3. United States

4. China

5. Italy

6. United Kingdom

7. Mexico

8. Turkey

9. Germany

10. Russian Federation

11. Austria

12. Canada

13. Malaysia

14. Ukraine

15. Poland

16. Hong Kong

17. Greece

18. Hungary

19. Thailand

20. Portugal

21. Netherlands

22. Saudi Arabia

23. Macao (China)

24. Croatia

25. Egypt

Source: World Tourism Organization (WTO)

Edited by cdnvic

Every year I see a press release saying Thailand is the top tourist destination, yet when the numbers come in they are always in the high teens when it comes to ranking.

2004 (pre-coup/tsunami)

1. France

2. Spain

3. United States

4. China

5. Italy

6. United Kingdom

7. Mexico

8. Turkey

9. Germany

10. Russian Federation

11. Austria

12. Canada

13. Malaysia

14. Ukraine

15. Poland

16. Hong Kong

17. Greece

18. Hungary

19. Thailand

20. Portugal

21. Netherlands

22. Saudi Arabia

23. Macao (China)

24. Croatia

25. Egypt

JR Texas: Thailand is the World's Top Tourist Destination....... :o:D :D :D :D Actually, I thought it is the US and has been for a very long time. But I guess 9/11 and the Bad Bush have not been good for US tourism. The actual figures might be here: www.world-tourism.org

From those stats it appears that nations like Poland and Turkey are more well travelled destinations than Thailand. I think a lot of the tourism hype might be coming from Thai tourism business groups. If it's printed in the Nation or Bangkok post there's even more cause to doubt its integrity.

2004 (pre-coup/tsunami)

1. France

2. Spain

3. United States

4. China

5. Italy

6. United Kingdom

7. Mexico

8. Turkey

9. Germany

10. Russian Federation

11. Austria

12. Canada

13. Malaysia

14. Ukraine

15. Poland

16. Hong Kong

17. Greece

18. Hungary

19. Thailand

20. Portugal

21. Netherlands

22. Saudi Arabia

23. Macao (China)

24. Croatia

25. Egypt

<deleted> ????????

It's a new game on ThaiVisa, didn't you know about it? It's called "Be the first to turn a thread into America bashing?".

OP : Where can I buy labrador puppies in Thailand?

Reply : Used to be a lovely place somewhere in Issan, can't remember exactly where, until the Americans took it over and turned it into a secret underground CIA death camp. It was all done as part of a hush-hush deal between George "baby killer" Bush and Thaksin "what 70 billion?" Shinawatra.

how many respondents ?

42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot. :o

I would be pretty interested to see who is behind Visa International Asia Pacific and the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA). I would bet money that they are official sounding "organizations" funded by Thai businesses.

I would be pretty interested to see who is behind Visa International Asia Pacific and the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA). I would bet money that they are official sounding "organizations" funded by Thai businesses.

Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) has a direct connection to Thailand in that they moved their headquarters to Bangkok a few years back. Don't recollect where it was located previously but I do recall the move to BKK making the news at that time. Even assuming these organizations are relatively legit, a group like PATA certainly wants one of the countries its umbrella covers to be the top tourist destination of the world. Does them no good whatsoever to say that France or Spain is number one.

I believe the surview covered only Asia Pacific and most popular doesn't mean most travelled - people might want to go to Asia but settle on Spain instead.

I've seen an interview with Visa manager who conducted the surview and I wrote about it in some other thread already. The anchor, Enrique Quason (sp?), started off with the usual: "In the past few months we have tried very hard to tarnish Thailand's reputation with the news and stories about the coup, political instability, economic problems and so on". The Visa guy replied that people don't care much about BBC. When asked about why Singapore and Hong Kong, BBC's darlings in the region, were not high on the list the Visa guy said that people don't think of them as destinations but rather "must see" stopovers.

Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) has a direct connection to Thailand in that they moved their headquarters to Bangkok a few years back. Don't recollect where it was located previously but I do recall the move to BKK making the news at that time. Even assuming these organizations are relatively legit, a group like PATA certainly wants one of the countries its umbrella covers to be the top tourist destination of the world. Does them no good whatsoever to say that France or Spain is number one.

Here's the blurb on PATA "PATA, a not-for-profit organization, represents government tourism bodies, airlines and other travel industry companies."

*cough* that's most certainly a lobby group. :o

missing the point guys ,

PATA is obviously a lobby group ,

however ,

it was the Nation paper that edited the article ................................

and most damningly the headline

A recent survey of international travellers has identified Thailand as the world's top travel destination

-- The Nation 2007-05-01

:o

What a load of BS

1. France (about 75 million foreign visitors)

2. Spain (about 50 million foreign visitors)

With "only" 12 millions tourists, Thailand is far from the top spot.

Hornswaggle alert! :D

OK. What's better?

#1. The idea that the Thai brilliance in International finance has the Baht is beating up on the US Dollar?

or

#2. Thailand is the world's top tourist destination?

Vote here: :o

This one gets a letter to the editor. Somebody has to say something about how utterly RIDICULOUS these ideas are.

I know, I know, Thais congratulating Thais as usual. But this is getting out of hand, it makes them look like mind boggling blithering bufoons: ie. "I know, let's just make up some really far out stuff so we can all look cool to our mia noi."

Disgusting.

Hummph.

<deleted> ????????

I was refering to the gee-aren't-we-the-greatest-stuff...and self congratulatory rubbish in the aforementioned post. Freedom of speech and all that. Sorry if you have been offended.

<deleted> ????????

It's a new game on ThaiVisa, didn't you know about it? It's called "Be the first to turn a thread into America bashing?".

OP : Where can I buy labrador puppies in Thailand?

Reply : Used to be a lovely place somewhere in Issan, can't remember exactly where, until the Americans took it over and turned it into a secret underground CIA death camp. It was all done as part of a hush-hush deal between George "baby killer" Bush and Thaksin "what 70 billion?" Shinawatra.

Correction, THAI BASHING is THE new game on ThaiVisa or have we not already noticed? Don't need to work in Langley to notice that! The perceptions of America and Americans is what we make of it. It is our democratic right. CondyRiceGP_USflag.jpg

Edited by dingue2rep