Police And Tourist Police

In another topic about an accident with a drunken thai driver, SamuiExpress has suggested to submit any good experiences about Police and Tourist Police. I think it is worth a new topic.

I want to start:

Last 15 years (mostly for holidays) I had to deal just two times with the police:

A car hit our rented jeep car. I called the jeep owner, she called the police, the police came quickly, I didnt have to pay for the damage.

Then another time I got fined 300 Bahts (with receipt) for driving without helmet.

So 100 % of good experiences!

Please share your own experiences.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In another topic about an accident with a drunken thai driver, SamuiExpress has suggested to submit any good experiences about Police and Tourist Police. I think it is worth a new topic.

I want to start:

Last 15 years (mostly for holidays) I had to deal just two times with the police:

A car hit our rented jeep car. I called the jeep owner, she called the police, the police came quickly, I didnt have to pay for the damage.

Then another time I got fined 300 Bahts (with receipt) for driving without helmet.

I have no first hand experience with the police which I guess is a good thing.

I did hear a rumour though that the farang tourist police volunteers have been disbanded following the 'disaproval' of some local influential Thai's.

Has anyone heard this?

I want to start:

I have no first hand experience with the police which I guess is a good thing.

I did hear a rumour though that the farang tourist police volunteers have been disbanded following the 'disaproval' of some local influential Thai's.

Has anyone heard this?

Coming to think of it, I haven't seen them around lately.....

Like PaulAllen I to am wondering if they can subtract the car on taxes, or how does this work? (is it givin' to them) Who and how are they paid? and how much?

Couldn't a TP please expain it to us, this might make the TP more popular with the expates, and to PaulAllen and myself. Not to mention the public at large.

Hope to hear from you, I hear the leader is a Dane, as I am, and you could PM me with answers if you don't want to go public.

Edited by SamuiJens

My friend and I were robbed of about $5000 US worth of stuff on Chaweng last year. It was stupid of us to have had stuff of that value in our room, I know. I suspect it was the staff of the bungalows, for various reasons. Went to both the normal police and the tourist police. The normal police were too busy checking out our asses to listen to anything we said. They had no interest whatsoever in helping us. The tourist police, on the other hand, went out of their way to try to help us, and were very nice. They were twin brothers. We didn't find our stuff, but had a good experience with them anyway.

I think I'm going to be sick :o

Anyway, I cannot believe that no one here doesn't know a TP person and can get us some answers.

They (the TP) just ran an ad in the Samui Express looking for volunteers to help but of course there is no phone number or any way to contact them if you wanted to help. Real smart.

Anyway, I cannot believe that no one here doesn't know a TP person and can get us some answers.

They (the TP) just ran an ad in the Samui Express looking for volunteers to help but of course there is no phone number or any way to contact them if you wanted to help. Real smart.

After my posting here I got an PM from one USAMAX that said he was willing to answer my questions.

He noted some ppl here on forum are putting them down without cause, so if you got questions PM USAMAX.

At least he answered saying they are here and working.

Tourist police were usually better, even for long-stayers. One guy broke with gf and she took all his property, incl rental bikes. TP have heard this many times and just went and rounded up his stuff.

I had a prob with a farang who demanded I go to Nathon reg police. Called my lawyer and he met us there; the police ignored us until lawyer showed up and after the back-slapping (he is an ex cop), we got a room where my lawyer sorted it out.

Most tourist police spoke fair English before, but maybe that is changing? What is this volunteer squad? Sounds interesting.

After my posting here I got an PM from one USAMAX that said he was willing to answer my questions.

He noted some ppl here on forum are putting them down without cause, so if you got questions PM USAMAX.

I opened this topic about "Good experiences" with Police and Tourist Police because a general bashing will led to nothing but to misunderstandings and bad mood. Maybe one of the farang volunteers can explain their job and can give some useful contact phone numbers here in this forum.

I opened this topic about "Good experiences" with Police and Tourist Police because a general bashing will led to nothing but to misunderstandings and bad mood. Maybe one of the farang volunteers can explain their job and can give some useful contact phone numbers here in this forum.

had one experience witht the thai police my crazy neibour asked me to turn my t.v down at 8pm. then he started a fight with me. then he called the old bill. when they came,. they were as confused as i was and left.

i did hear that the police will not lift a finger unless they are looked after. then i just heard that.

as for tourist police. they didn;t really do much anyway. just people that had been hear for a long time wanted to do something for the community. maybe they always wanted to be a copper in thier own country but though while they are miles away from home they could be one without having any actual powers.

if i am a victims of crime i would not have called them. i also do not do things that invlove crime so i would not be arrested by them. so hear or not i don;t care.

saying that every country people not like police so the forang police must have know that speaking bad about them would go with the job.

Edited by BigC

yes i would like to know exactly what a T.P police man job involves. what powers they have and what they can do to help. also how to contact them.

if contacting them is not easy. then there is not much point in having them.

would like to know the job discription of a forang TP and what there daily work consists of. maybe it would make things mor clear.

if they want to crack down on crimes. surely they would be better off plane clothes

so watch the eyes are everywhere

Here is the Phone #s you are wanting. Tourist police box *077421281 Chaweng *077414198 Nathon fax 077421360 Tpd Mobile *0836001694 Chaweng

Must people know where both office are so if you like you can stop by and ask what ever you like. I will talk with the Major of the tourist police and we can set up interview or meeting of what ever you like to know about us . Also the ad for Volunteers you can come down to office in Nathon or Chewang if interested in Voluntering.

Here is the Phone #s you are wanting. Tourist police box *077421281 Chaweng *077414198 Nathon fax 077421360 Tpd Mobile *0836001694 Chaweng

Must people know where both office are so if you like you can stop by and ask what ever you like. I will talk with the Major of the tourist police and we can set up interview or meeting of what ever you like to know about us . Also the ad for Volunteers you can come down to office in Nathon or Chewang if interested in Voluntering.

Dear MAX

as you are from the TP . please tell us if you heard anyhting about the case of tyhe german friend of claudfellar that was runned over?

I know that this is the job of the traffic police however maybe you guys geard something about it.

A nice rant for Saturday Avo. :o

My experience on Koh Samui over the last 10 years with the police ranges from nul to pretty good. No serious complaints at all.

I rarely get into trouble, they are not interested from that point of view.

When somebody causes me and/or mine trouble we normally sort such issues out ourselves and not go bother the cops. Our house got burgled, we went to our landlord, she went to the Pu Yai Baan, he went to the (construction worker's) village, we got our stuff back and the lads got a decent wollopping for the troubles.

Sometime though we must resort to contacting the boys-in-brown.

The tourist police have, to my knowledge, on many occasions been of great assistance in cases involving visitors from afar. However, I am one of those who criticized them heavily for allowing boy racers to wear dangerous weapons, handcuffs and pretend to be "real" cops.

I saw a cop in Nathon once, he stopped the traffic so an elderly lady could cross the road.

When I had a bar in Nathon the local cops used to drop in daily just to have a cup of coffee (fresh brewed of course) and see if things were OK. They always paid for their coffee.

Once a drunken Welsh lady got wasted in our bar, collapsed in a heap on the floor and made a bit of a mess. When we tried to remove her she got violent, there was a fight with her and my g/f. Her hubby was a (Thai) cop. Next morning they came and arrested my g/f. By midday I had gone and talked to them, they went and got the Welsh woman and told her "her b/f has now counter charged you and you will now have to go into the same cell as his (Thai) g/f - along with about 4 other Thai women. She dropped the charges. The whole show was directed and produced by myself and some senior Nathon cops at the station. They were, at that time, of great assistance to me and the g/f.

Generally I find them slow, not to interested unless it is a big deal. But that is just the way it is here. This island has its very own culture, it was cut off from the world until the early 70's when the first rough / backpacker tourists arrived here. The culture is based on agriculture, fishing and living in small villages with a village head telling you what's what and what's not.

I think it takes years and years for local cultures like this to adapt or collapse. I think we have some waiting time yet before they sort it all out. This goes for cops, roads, planning, development, infrastructure, big-family corruption, local govt. corruption and the host of other evils confronting them today. Remember, 30 years ago the whole thing here was coconuts and fish. Now it's billions of Baht worth to touro-dollars.

There is nothing that we, as visitors, can do about this. Even trying to tell them there are problems goes totally against the grain of their culture. To admit there is even a small problem is to loose face. Herein, amongst all this cultural and societal schtuff lies many problems confronting not only Thailand but the whole of Asia as it slowly but surely moves into the new world of global economies and societies.

The cops? They're OK in my books. I stay off their turf, they generally stay of mine.

A nice rant for Saturday Avo. :o

My experience on Koh Samui over the last 10 years with the police ranges from nul to pretty good. No serious complaints at all.

I rarely get into trouble, they are not interested from that point of view.

When somebody causes me and/or mine trouble we normally sort such issues out ourselves and not go bother the cops. Our house got burgled, we went to our landlord, she went to the Pu Yai Baan, he went to the (construction worker's) village, we got our stuff back and the lads got a decent wollopping for the troubles.

Sometime though we must resort to contacting the boys-in-brown.

The tourist police have, to my knowledge, on many occasions been of great assistance in cases involving visitors from afar. However, I am one of those who criticized them heavily for allowing boy racers to wear dangerous weapons, handcuffs and pretend to be "real" cops.

I saw a cop in Nathon once, he stopped the traffic so an elderly lady could cross the road.

When I had a bar in Nathon the local cops used to drop in daily just to have a cup of coffee (fresh brewed of course) and see if things were OK. They always paid for their coffee.

Once a drunken Welsh lady got wasted in our bar, collapsed in a heap on the floor and made a bit of a mess. When we tried to remove her she got violent, there was a fight with her and my g/f. Her hubby was a (Thai) cop. Next morning they came and arrested my g/f. By midday I had gone and talked to them, they went and got the Welsh woman and told her "her b/f has now counter charged you and you will now have to go into the same cell as his (Thai) g/f - along with about 4 other Thai women. She dropped the charges. The whole show was directed and produced by myself and some senior Nathon cops at the station. They were, at that time, of great assistance to me and the g/f.

Generally I find them slow, not to interested unless it is a big deal. But that is just the way it is here. This island has its very own culture, it was cut off from the world until the early 70's when the first rough / backpacker tourists arrived here. The culture is based on agriculture, fishing and living in small villages with a village head telling you what's what and what's not.

I think it takes years and years for local cultures like this to adapt or collapse. I think we have some waiting time yet before they sort it all out. This goes for cops, roads, planning, development, infrastructure, big-family corruption, local govt. corruption and the host of other evils confronting them today. Remember, 30 years ago the whole thing here was coconuts and fish. Now it's billions of Baht worth to touro-dollars.

There is nothing that we, as visitors, can do about this. Even trying to tell them there are problems goes totally against the grain of their culture. To admit there is even a small problem is to loose face. Herein, amongst all this cultural and societal schtuff lies many problems confronting not only Thailand but the whole of Asia as it slowly but surely moves into the new world of global economies and societies.

The cops? They're OK in my books. I stay off their turf, they generally stay of mine.

One of the most interesting, true, eye-opening and fair comments on this forum for a long time.Thanks

The samui tourist police used to be much more high profile.

They had a mobile office permanently parked opposite where the Tops plaza is.

TP officers could be seen every day on the beach road using mountain bikes to patrol. very easy to stop an officer if you needed to.

Now they are a bit hidden away in patrol cars and offices with blinds closed.

As for farang tourist police, if someone has the language skills and is prepared to give their time to offer help to others, they're all right by me.

I am no longer a resient of Samui. That said, i do nip back every now and then and i can not recall seeing Charlie and his Angels keeping the peace. Where are those guys hanging out? I have been to Samui several times this year and as yet, I have not seen any ferang police on any street corner - 'taking care of business.'

I dunno. I guess they are all hanging out in the 'Bat Cave' when i arive and the Batmobile is on the blink. Needs a new clutch. apparently. They are waiting for delivery of said clutch from a garage in Surrathani.

So where exactly are they keeping an eye on things? last time i was on the island - last month - I stood outside Burger King at 4am... i seen a 9 foot lady boy beating seven colours of <deleted> out of a ferang dwarf - didnt see any uniformed ferang prevent this episode. i seen a bloke the size of a house run rampage in a Soi mango bar - pissed everyone off, including me - i was refrained from twating the guy as i was rather hoping a ferang police ninja would swing in through the window, Die Hard style, and cuff the guy. Didnt happen.

And so - what exactly do they do and further more - do they exist? I am waiting for conformation - and proof that they make a difference. I will keep my eyes open for a news alert that one of these guys has been awarded the congresional medal of honor, for guiding a Swiss tourist to the nearest 7/11. 'Just down the there, on the left.... 50 yards love'

Im gonna capture a ferang police guy. I plan on making it my hobby. Just to prove they exist.

I should be carefull with my words here. These guys are affiliated with Spiderman, Iceman, and The Incredible Hulk. I dont wish to piss the wrong people off.

Ahh... Im just having a laugh. Dont ban me again, you misserable buggers.

I think I'm going to be sick :D

Here SKO, phone or go have a chat, you don't seem to read well!? :o

I am no longer a resient of Samui. That said, i do nip back every now and then and i can not recall seeing Charlie and his Angels keeping the peace. Where are those guys hanging out? I have been to Samui several times this year and as yet, I have not seen any ferang police on any street corner - 'taking care of business.'

I dunno. I guess they are all hanging out in the 'Bat Cave' when i arive and the Batmobile is on the blink. Needs a new clutch. apparently. They are waiting for delivery of said clutch from a garage in Surrathani.

So where exactly are they keeping an eye on things? last time i was on the island - last month - I stood outside Burger King at 4am... i seen a 9 foot lady boy beating seven colours of <deleted> out of a ferang dwarf - didnt see any uniformed ferang prevent this episode. i seen a bloke the size of a house run rampage in a Soi mango bar - pissed everyone off, including me - i was refrained from twating the guy as i was rather hoping a ferang police ninja would swing in through the window, Die Hard style, and cuff the guy. Didnt happen.

And so - what exactly do they do and further more - do they exist? I am waiting for conformation - and proof that they make a difference. I will keep my eyes open for a news alert that one of these guys has been awarded the congresional medal of honor, for guiding a Swiss tourist to the nearest 7/11. 'Just down the there, on the left.... 50 yards love'

Im gonna capture a ferang police guy. I plan on making it my hobby. Just to prove they exist.

I should be carefull with my words here. These guys are affiliated with Spiderman, Iceman, and The Incredible Hulk. I dont wish to piss the wrong people off.

Good to hear from you again Stick,anyway,i heard that the volunteer 'cops' are no more,told to close up shop due to pissing off the wrong locals,thats what i was told anyway.Shame,i kinda liked seeing them around,brought a smile to my face :o

OK, my experience with -Nathon- police:

1. house robbed between 7.00PM and 11.00PM as a birthday-present in Ban-Po... :o Our house was the only one out of 6, rented out.

2. Resort Lady-manager calls police; they came with 5 (!) men within 45 minutes; the one who spoke a bit of English nested himself at the table with a nice Heineken, offered by me... :D

3. They even searched (well...sort of) for fingerprints and searched the 'bushy' area...having no torchlamp...but they were all very nice to us; shrugging their shoulders...'happens all the time Sir"; nothing we can do.

4. Next day I went to the Nathon police station and it took me (and lady-manager) 4 hours to file a report. In Thai of course. Couldn't have a copy; instead another policeman wrote the whole report by hand -again- in a book... :D

5. Than another short handwritten report, in Thai, was made and I handed 10 Baht to have a copy made (across the street)

6. After that, the Lady manager (extremely helpful) managed to have an English translation made for another 200 Baht 3 days later.

Never heard anything anymore.

Case closed; another experience in life.

LaoPo

So in case of robbery or accident:

Do we farang have to contact the normal police or the Tourist police???

Personally i would not contact either just live with it and learn. however if you here on tourist visa then tourist police, if on non immigrant then the regulars

Having said that my landlords family are the police, also own most of Bohput beach front and involved in Buddy beer bar lamai so good help the sucker who broke into my house. has to be said it is one of the main reasons i live where i live.