Good Tea Shops

mild7even

The coffee situation is much better now than 13 years ago when I first came here as a student... fresh coffee was a rarity then, and forget about espresso.

The tea situation still lags though. I found a good tea shop the other day on the east side of the river, down from Riverside. Can't remember the name but the building was conspicuously pink and couldn't be missed. The interior was well done in an Indian style, and they had many, many different kinds of tea. It was like a tea shop in San Francisco's Chinatown. I had a pot of rose tea and would recommend it.

However... are there any other tea shops that you know of? Looking for more than Lipton, of course.

The relatively new Teavana hotel serves its namesake drink in a little area up front. Very nice decor, views of the river and the chic hotel courtyard. It's next to Duke's and serves a wide variety of fancy teas. I don't remember it being pink or Indian, but it's been night when I've been there, so maybe we are talking about the same place.

• 2 weeks later...
The relatively new Teavana hotel serves its namesake drink in a little area up front. Very nice decor, views of the river and the chic hotel courtyard. It's next to Duke's and serves a wide variety of fancy teas. I don't remember it being pink or Indian, but it's been night when I've been there, so maybe we are talking about the same place.

Walked by this place yesterday.... it is not the same tea shop I was talking about. I will give it a shot later.

I also found a great tea shop today on Tha Pae Road, right next to the waste water canal and the Tha Pae Inn. It is called Tea House Siam Celadon. You have to walk through a celadon and clothing shop to get into the tea shop, but it is worth finding. There is garden seating and the tea was fantastic--I had the black tea with mint, which was prepared with actual mint leaves in the brew, rather than boring flavored tea.

Anybody into tea should give it a go. Still looking for other tea shops, though it doesn't look like a popular topic.