Small Franchise Food Carts

Hi all.

Just after some opinions about which small food cart stalls (brands) seem to sell well around the Thai markets & service stations.

We allready have the "Gai Yang Hah Dtao" BBQ'd chicken stall. The BBQ'd chicken sells quite well, however I'm looking for another two stalls to complement it.

From personal observations any ideas?

Cheers & thanx,

Soundman.

Never fails to amaze me how many sarapao get sold.

I am sure someone must be franchising properly so to speak, but at the back of my house used to be a family selling only sarapao. They have since moved out of town but also supply 2 people near their old location (to keep their old customers) as well as others. They produce as many as they can physically make and distribute.

Just one person next to their old location is selling 300+ on a slow day. They come in the box load at Chinese holidays and new year !

Those waffle things on the BTS seem to sell well.

Thai have insatiable appetite for satay or any meat on a stick but don't know if that's franchised.

Soya milk - is that franchised ??

Anyway I would probably stick to first idea of Sarapao.

Soundman owns a petrol station so I assume he already has a convenience store which also sells salapao and khanom jeen.

5 Star Chicken always works well, you've got that.

The waffle idea isn't bad either but it may depend on the type of clientele you have.

A good coffee stall may also be appreciated if you don't have it already. Or baked goods, steamed sweet buns (I guess these are a form of salapao).

Other than that, not much to go on if you're targeting a Thai market. I've passed through a lot of petrol stations and frankly most of that space is rented out to local operations, rarely see anything other then 5 Star Chicken.

Waffles with all those chocolate & egg based sauces. - That's a good idea. I think I have actually seen a franchise for that, can't for the life of me remember where.

The roti sells well where I live - however oversupplied.

I like the idea about waffles - easy to make (train staff). Not much in the way of stock (although hard to keep a correllation between amount used & actual sales - cash tracking with the staff would be a problem).

Anyone seen Thai people eat pancakes? Pizza for one sized serves? - or not good idea?

Sarabao - I might have probs. with 7/11 about that as they sell them. Agree though - The Thai's love em.

Chai See Noodles? Used to be popular years ago - people still eating that?

Cheers & thanx for the replies.... Keep em coming! :o

Soundman.

There's a couple of waffle franchises here in BKK, let me have a look around - though to be honest all you need is a decent waffle machine (1K or so) and what amounts to bread dough and chocolate bread dough, some nuts, sesame, raisins, sugar, maybe a few fruits like apple or pineapple, and you're set. There's no skill required at all and you can easily train staff for that.

In addition, or alternatively, you can do the mini-donuts, again with a machine around 1K from Verasu if I'm not mistaken.

Pancakes are a pain though you could probably sell them. But actually, you reminded me of something else - Japanese crepes, those are really good sellers, and not so common except in shopping malls, but they are always busy as hel_l.

Salapao won't be a problem unless the 7-Eleven is located on your premises LOL. They're used to local competition and frankly they still sell pretty good.

Pizzas not worth the hassle. Especially if there's a Pizza Hut anywhere within a few kilometers of your location. Not only that, they take time to produce - you need stuff which is easily produced and sold with a minimum of effort and time.

Waffles with all those chocolate & egg based sauces. - That's a good idea. I think I have actually seen a franchise for that, can't for the life of me remember where.

The roti sells well where I live - however oversupplied.

I like the idea about waffles - easy to make (train staff). Not much in the way of stock (although hard to keep a correllation between amount used & actual sales - cash tracking with the staff would be a problem).

Anyone seen Thai people eat pancakes? Pizza for one sized serves? - or not good idea?

Sarabao - I might have probs. with 7/11 about that as they sell them. Agree though - The Thai's love em.

Chai See Noodles? Used to be popular years ago - people still eating that?

Cheers & thanx for the replies.... Keep em coming! :o

Soundman.

Japanese crape?

Well, they're actually French crepes... LOL... but the Japanese style is to put a bunch of stuffing on top of a huge crepe and then roll it up into a cone. Usually there are sweet and savory versions of the crepe (like banana, ham and moo yong, or just the usual jams, perhaps with whipped cream).

post-15263-1188918695.jpg

Japanese crape?

Well, they're actually French crepes... LOL... but the Japanese style is to put a bunch of stuffing on top of a huge crepe and then roll it up into a cone. Usually there are sweet and savory versions of the crepe (like banana, ham and moo yong, or just the usual jams, perhaps with whipped cream).

Thanks for your info and photo.....hew now :o

There's a couple of waffle franchises here in BKK, let me have a look around - though to be honest all you need is a decent waffle machine (1K or so) and what amounts to bread dough and chocolate bread dough, some nuts, sesame, raisins, sugar, maybe a few fruits like apple or pineapple, and you're set. There's no skill required at all and you can easily train staff for that.

In addition, or alternatively, you can do the mini-donuts, again with a machine around 1K from Verasu if I'm not mistaken.

Pancakes are a pain though you could probably sell them. But actually, you reminded me of something else - Japanese crepes, those are really good sellers, and not so common except in shopping malls, but they are always busy as hel_l.

Salapao won't be a problem unless the 7-Eleven is located on your premises LOL. They're used to local competition and frankly they still sell pretty good.

Pizzas not worth the hassle. Especially if there's a Pizza Hut anywhere within a few kilometers of your location. Not only that, they take time to produce - you need stuff which is easily produced and sold with a minimum of effort and time.

7/11 is located on our premises & its part of the contract that we can't sell any competing product that wasn't being sold on the premises prior to signing the contract with 7/11.

Donuts! - That's even a better idea than waffles. Easy to make. Seem to sell really well in the shopping malls.

If you manage to come accross the names of the waffle stalls pls. let us know. I knew I'de seen some before in Bkk but just can't remember where.

Thanx heaps for that.

Soundman.

Ah, I figured you'd have a convenience store - but I thought you'd want to hold that franchise yourself - nevertheless, that's why I didn't think you'd want to do salapao...

The waffles are just as easy to make as the donuts. I'll try and have a look around for some of the small franchises. But regarding the donuts - better make sure your 7-Eleven doesn't have a Dunkin Donuts shelf as well...

Actually, there's another one that might work - pork balls. There's quite a famous one that's also located in many shopping malls - and they'll usually boil them for you as well, even make them into a 'yum' - I know they sell well.

7/11 is located on our premises & its part of the contract that we can't sell any competing product that wasn't being sold on the premises prior to signing the contract with 7/11.

Donuts! - That's even a better idea than waffles. Easy to make. Seem to sell really well in the shopping malls.

If you manage to come accross the names of the waffle stalls pls. let us know. I knew I'de seen some before in Bkk but just can't remember where.

Thanx heaps for that.

Soundman.

What ever happened to that famous celebrity franchise for Koa Munh Gai, I think it was called James?

Still running I think...Kao Mun Gai James - during heghday I think he had over 100 franchises. Of course... he is the front man, but did actually have some involvement with running it.

Persoanlly, I think a franchise called The Maroon Castaways selling these would be a good business idea. I wonder whether Obsession will steal the idea from you :-)

post-19416-1188964997_thumb.jpg

Persoanlly, I think a franchise called The Maroon Castaways selling these would be a good business idea. I wonder whether Obsession will steal the idea from you :-)

Steve, I've been looking at that picture for five minutes & still can't work out what that guy is eating! :o

Steve, I've been looking at that picture for five minutes & still can't work out what that guy is eating! :o

I do believe that's a human forearm.

Hot Dogs

Dagwood Dog

Sausage on a stick

Get 'em here

Piping Hot

royal_syd.gif

ride-extravaganza.com

[]Hot Dogs

Dagwood Dog

Sausage on a stick

Get 'em here

Piping Hot

Mid is well aware of this delicacy as would eb most Kiwis and convic, er, Aussies. It is a deep fried sausage wrapped in batter, and usually has a wooden spike through it which also gets deepfried as well. The whole mess containing almost a lifetime supply of transmogrified fats* capable of giving cholesterol problems to a marathon runner in one hit, is possibly the most delicious tasting piece of kit you will ever taste. It has that wonderful element of gayness to it that a man appears to be trying to eat an erect penis, and yet also could be the solution to world peace; with everyone eating these there is no chance at all of having any energy left afterwards, since you feel fantastically full of grease, and not long after, often in need of a 'tinnie'

More importantly Mid....what does it rate? Pics or it didn't happen :-)

* technical term I made up, to describe something really really fatty

Edited by steveromagnino