Favourite book set in thailand?

Pinkster

Yes that was a great book, the Author Stephen Leather has written a lot of good books.

There is one that can be downloaded  ,free, from his website, it's called "Private Dancer" , definitely worth a read.

Christpher G Moore has written some excellent books on Thailand as well.

Web address is  StephenLeather.com

Pinkster , unfortunately that book has never been released.

Stephen is happy for fans to download the script, encourages anyone who likes it to email his publishers, and tell them to release it!

It's a shame because I think its amongst the best of his works , but he has written about ten other books including "the Chinaman" " The Bombmaker" that are  available in most book shops.

Happy Reading :laugh:

(hmmm maybe I should work Pr for Mr Leather :laugh: )

Ok thankyou. I will read the book, and then, yes if it is quality book then i will email publisher!

Chanobot, why not release this book? Sorry to ask if you not know.

It ok, i understand you fan of this author, i am new fan also so it understand good view!

Can i ask you favoutite book, thailand or otherwise?

Pinkster , I think Stephen's publishers weren't keen on him writing more than 1 book including Thailands notorious nightlife ( snobs!) , they were worried that most of his most of his fanbase wouldn't like the change in direction.

My favourite book ( on Thailand ) would be either "The big Mango" - Jake Needham or "Twilight Zone" - Christopher G Moore .

CHeers

Chonabot

• 1 year later...
<font color='#000000'>Good evening,

I have recent finnish book 'solitary man' set in thaialnd. Actually, i think this was very strong great book. Can i ask if anyperson readother books set in and around thailand?</font>

I just read " Forget you had a daughter " by Sandra Gregory a few months back.

Interesting read.

Any thoughts from fellow users?

Any book by Stephen Leather, The Tunnel Rats being one of my faviourites.

The Big Mango by Jake Needham

Forget You Had a Daughter and The Damage Done, both biographical insights of that we place we pray we never want to go.

I also read a good book called Stone Gods, Wooden Elephants by B Berger which is about antique smuggling in Thailand.

Ratanakosin by a Thai MP (I forget his Name) its a historical novel about the founding of the Chakri dynasty.

<font color='#000000'>Good evening,

I have recent finnish book 'solitary man' set in thaialnd. Actually, i think this was very strong great book. Can i ask if anyperson readother books set in and around thailand?</font>

I just read " Forget you had a daughter " by Sandra Gregory a few months back.

Interesting read.

Any thoughts from fellow users?

I have read forget you had a daughter, i thought it was an excellent read.

Edited by daleyboy

<font color='#000000'>Yes that was a great book, the Author Stephen Leather has written a lot of good books.

There is one that can be downloaded  ,free, from his website, it's called "Private Dancer" , definitely worth a read.

Web address is  StephenLeather.com</font>

Great Book....

Planning to buy it.....any idea where to get it ??

"Private Dancer" good lesson for all....

:o

<font color='#000000'>Yes that was a great book, the Author Stephen Leather has written a lot of good books.

Great Book....

Even if it was published it would be a waste of money....

It is poorly written...full of stereotypical characters and less than believable. it portrays both Farangs and Thais in an uncomplimentry fashion One may surmise that the reason it hasnt been published is because the Publishers could be afraid of a backlash against them by the Thai Government....

The only lesson to be taken from this piece of crap is "Dont believe everything you read"

A good book I have read is called "The Bangkok Secret" it concerns itself with the mystery surrounding King Anandas unfortunate passing and the Pro Democracy movement...A good novel based mainly on fact.

Edited by gburns57au

I think the Beach is far better in terms of plot and entertainment value than any of the other books mentioned so far. Alex Garland doesn't make the mistake of pretending to know more about Thailand than he actually does, but concentrates on the characters in the backpacker scene that he knows from his own travels, and they come off as authentic for anyone who travelled here during the same period as him, and likely before and after him as well.

Jake Needham's The Big Mango did not give me much to be honest - only worth reading for the echoes it might evoke of your own experiences of Bangkok. It is like a film noir pastiche, only set in Thailand - to me it falls into all the traps that 'The Naked Gun' pokes fun at, with 'the lone American male who gets into a mystery with femme fatales and shady business', but still tries to take itself seriously. In terms of entertainment value it did not give me much, and the language is very simple and cliché-ridden.

IMO, Any of the Eric Van Lustbader books (although not about Thailand) are better value for your money if you seek Eastern exoticism.

I'd like to recommend 'The Glass Palace' though, it is an excellent novel which gives you an overall view of the history of Burma/Myanmar. I am still waiting for something of the same caliber to be written about Thailand.

<font color='#000000'>Hi

Thankyou, can anyperson say if book private dancer by aouthor Stephen Leather available in book format. I see free download, but i am new fan after book solitary man and have make no problem to buy book?</font>

<font color='#000000'>Pinkster , unfortunately that book has never been released.

Stephen is happy for fans to download the script, encourages anyone who likes it to email his publishers, and tell them to release it!

It's a shame because I think its amongst the best of his works , but he has written about ten other books including "the Chinaman" " The Bombmaker" that are  available in most book shops.

Happy Reading :laugh:

(hmmm maybe I should work Pr for Mr Leather :laugh: )</font>

A visit to the stephenleather.com website reveals that Private Dancer has in fact been published "At Last" by "DCO- Made in Thailand". You can order it online from the site. I'm going to go down to Sukhumvit one day soon and see if I can find it in the bookstores.

"A Woman of Bangkok" by Jack Reynolds is fascinating reading, if you can get hold of a copy. Sadly it's out of print, but there are copies around.

An inexperienced young Englishman falls in love with a very smart and sexy Thai dancing girl in a Rajdamnern Avenue nightclub -- in 1956. Plot sound familiar?

A bit like a Thai version of "The World of Suzie Wong."

If the person who borrowed my copy reads this, I really would like it back someday. :o

A genuine classic and a compulsive page-turner. So little has really changed.

Edited by Camelot

I'd like to recommend 'The Glass Palace' though, it is an excellent novel which gives you an overall view of the history of Burma/Myanmar. I am still waiting for something of the same caliber to be written about Thailand.

One of my favorite books of all time, the Glass Palace was an astoundingly beautiful read. Thanks for reminding me of that.

I saw a film once called ' Broken Down Palace' I can't remember a lot about it, except that it involved backpackers and drugs. Was there ever a book called the same?

I believe the film starred Nicole Kidman.

One of my favorite books of all time, the Glass Palace was an astoundingly beautiful read. Thanks for reminding me of that.

I saw a film once called ' Broken Down Palace' I can't remember a lot about it, except that it involved backpackers and drugs. Was there ever a book called the same?

Incorrect. Claire Danes and Kate Beckinsale.And it is "Brokedown Palace".

Great Book....

I wouldn't say "all"..it is largely irrelevant for many.Amusing at most. I'd say it is more of a lesson for the type of foreigner who fits the Stickman profile.

Not Nicole Kidman but a chick named 'Claire Danes' who resembles Kidman a bit.

Not a bad movie but it's less than flattering toward Thailand.

p.s. Sorry, penelope - didn't see your correction 'till I posted... :o

Edited by Boon Mee