Corruption

saraburioz

I work with a few farang who constantly moan about corruption. I think it's great because it has got me out a few scrapes. I LOVE Thailand because of the corruption as I get off with a LOT more than I would in Australia. If you do not like it,why not? If you do love it,why?

Try offering a copper in the UK £3 as a donation to let you on your way! I think you would end up inside!

Although the driving 'offences' are usually imaginary, you can't really moan about 200 baht.

By the way, how much do other TVers contribute to the 'tea fund'? Talking to a guy last night who has been here for 14 years, and he says never more than 100 baht, but I have always 'donated' 200, thats what I was told when I first moved here.

Edited by sweetchariot

During my time in Thailand if I was flagged down by the BiB, and I often was, I would only stop if there was no other alternative. Very often they'd shout and wave their fists at me as I sped off but never once did they give chase and nothing ever came of it. When I did get stopped I just coughed up the 200 Baht and was on my way. Wonderful system, none of those crusty old gits sitting around in judgement and none of that <deleted> with eye watering fines and points on the license. Okay some of the "offences" were a bit trumped up but all in all not a bad deal.

However there is a difference between PC Plodprasop pocketting a few hundred Baht here and there and the likes of Whacko Tacko making off with billions. People will argue that corruption starts with the small guys and grows as they progress up the promotions ladder and it's corruption that is hindering the development of Thailand. There's no doubt about it that they are correct but then they have the option of refusing to pay the roadside "toll" and let the Thai legal system deal with it and pay their dues with a clear conciense.

I prefer the quick solution. :o