Which Countries Can Thais Go To Without A Visa?

I know I saw a list of about 11 countries for which Thais can travel without getting a visa in advance. I thought I remembered Maldives being one of those countries. I tried searching this forum for Maldives and got nothing. Searching Google gets worse results.

Does anyone have the list of countries Thais can travel to without getting a visa in advance?

National THAILAND (TH)          /Destination MALDIVES (MV)

MALDIVES (MV)

Passport (must be valid for period of intended stay) required.

Visa not required for a max. stay of 30 days.

Extension possible to a max. stay of 90 days from the arrival

date by paying a fee of MVR 750.- at the Dept. of Immigration

in Male at least 1 day prior to the expiry date of entry

already permitted.

Disembarkation card must be completed by every passenger and

submitted to the immigration officer on entry.

Passenger must hold:

tickets and documents required for return/onward

journey.

In case of no hotel reservation or Maldivian sponsor,

passenger must hold at least USD 30 per person per day to cover

intended stay.

Timaticweb Version 1.3

Source: Delta Visa & Passport Information

I think the implication on this page is that the

agreements are reciprocal. So a Thai should

be able to travel to these spots without a visa

but with a Thai passport ....

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/12.php#thailand

Having read the link provided, it would appear that it applies only to Thais travelling on diplomatic or offical passports, so not your average Joe with a bog standard document.

Scouse.

Reciprocal is not a word known among major countries when allowing Thais to visit.

People from 41 counties can visit Thailand, without a visa. Tell these countries, with immediate effect Thailand requests same privilege, otherwise, you are off the list.

Think this would be fair.

I took a look at it a couple of months back. Here's the list I got.

ANGUILLA (AI)

Visa not required for a stay of max. 14 days.

ARMENIA (AM)

Visa required, which can be issued on arrival (only at Yerevan Zvartnots Airport) if holding sufficient funds a touristic stay of max. 21 days.

BAHRAIN (BH)

Visa required. A 14 days tourist or business visa can be obtained on arrival.

BELARUS (BY)

Visa can be issued on arrival.

BERMUDA (BM)

Visa not required (up to 6 months).

BRAZIL (BR)

Visa not required for a touristic or business stay of max. 90 days.

BRUNEI (BN)

Visa not required for a max. stay of 14 days.

CAMBODIA (KH)

Visa can be obtained on arrival, if coming for: - touristic purposes for a stay of max. 1 month. ; - business purposes for a stay of max. 1 month.

CHILE (CL)

Visa not required for a stay of max. 90 days.

COMORES ISLANDS (KM)

Visa required and can be issued upon arrival at Immigration Office downtown.

COOK ISLANDS (CK)

If visit is solely for touristic purposes: visa not required for a stay of max. 31 days. If visit is for business purposes : visa required (which can be issued on arrival), for a stay of max. 21 days.

DOMINICA (DM)

Visa not required for stay of max. 21 days.

ECUADOR (EC)

Visa not required for stay of max. 90 days per year.

ERITREA (ER)

Visa required. Visa can be obtained upon arrival for a stay of max. 1 month.

FIJI (FJ)

Visa not required. On arrival a visitor's permit can be obtained for a stay of max. 4 months.

HAITI (HT)

Visa not required for a stay of max. 3 months.

HONG KONG (SAR CHINA) (HK)

Visa not required for stay of max. 1 month.

HUNGARY (HU)

Visa required, which can be issued on arrival at Budapest Ferihegy Airport.

INDONESIA (ID)

JORDAN (JO)

Visa required. Visa can be obtained on arrival.

KOREA (REPUBLIC) (KR)

Visa not required for a stay of max. 3 months.

LAOS (LA)

Visa required, which can be obtained upon arrival at Vientiane International Airport, Warray and Pakse airport (check the URL for more information).

MACAO (SAR CHINA) (MO)

Visa not required for a stay of max. 30 days.

MALAYSIA (MY)

Visa not required for a stay of max. 1 month.

MALDIVES (MV)

MICRONESIA (FEDERATED STATES O

Visa not required for a stay of max. 30 day.

MONTSERRAT (MS)

Visa not required if coming for a touristic stay up to 14 days.

MOZAMBIQUE (MZ)

Visa required. However, if coming for touristic or business purposes, visa can be obtained on arrival (at airport only).

NEPAL (NP)

Visa required. Tourist visa can be issued on arrival for a stay of: - 60 days (30 USD)

NETHERLANDS ANTILLES (AN)

Visa not required if coming for a stay up to 14 days.

NICARAGUA (NI)

Visa required which can be obtained on arrival.

NIUE (NU)

Visa not required for a stay up to 30 day.

OMAN (OM)

Visa required. The following visas can be obtained on arrival: 1. Single entry "Visit Visa" for a max. stay of one month. ; 2. Multiple entry visa valid for one year (no extensions possible) for a max. stay of 3 weeks with a minimum of 3 weeks between visits.

PALAU ISLANDS (PW)

Visa required, which can be obtained on arrival for a stay of max. 30 days.

PAPUA NEW GUINEA (PG)

Visa required and can be obtained on arrival at Jackson's Int. Airport for a touristic or business stay of max. 60 days in any 12 months.

PERU (PE)

Visa not required for a touristic stay up to 90 days.

PHILIPPINES (PH)

Visa not required for a stay of max. 21 days.

SAMOA (WS)

Visa not required if holding a visitor's permit, which can be obtained on arrival for a stay of max. 60 days.

SEYCHELLES (SC)

Visa not required as Visitor's Permit for 1 month.

SINGAPORE (SG)

Visa not required provided obtaining a Social Visit Pass on arrival for a stay of 14 or 30 days.

SOLOMON ISLANDS (SB)

Visa not required. On arrival a "Visitors Permit" can be obtained for a stay of max. 3 months.

SOUTH AFRICA (ZA)

SRI LANKA (REPUBLIC) (LK)

Visa required, which can be obtained on arrival for a touristic stay of max. 30 days.

ST. KITTS-NEVIS (KN)

Visa not required for stay of max. 14 day.

ST. VINCENT AND THE GRENADINES

Visa not required for stay of max. 14 day.

TANZANIA (UNITED REPUBLIC OF)

Visa required, which can be issued upon arrival.

TIMOR LESTE (TL)

Entry Permit can be obtained on arrival for a max. stay of 30 days.

TOGO (TG)

Visa required, which can be obtained on arrival for max. 7 days.

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO (TT)

Visa required, which can be obtained on arrival.

UGANDA (UG)

Visa required, which can be obtained on arrival.

VANUATU (VU)

Visa not required for a stay up to 30 day.

VIETNAM (VN)

VIRGIN ISLANDS (BRITISH) (VG)

ZAMBIA (ZM)

Visa required, which can be issued on arrival.

Scouser

Is there really a difference between an official passport and

an ordinary passport ??

I can see that a diplomatic passport is in a different category

and thus treated differently.

But it seems to me that a passport is an official passport.

Anyone sure about the definitions here ??

Thanks

Official passport is different from ordinary one. Only government officials can have it. It's supposed to be used in official stuff only. So, easier to get a visa. And the holder is treated better too.

Reciprocal is not a word known among major countries when allowing Thais to visit.

People from 41 counties can visit Thailand, without a visa. Tell these countries, with immediate effect Thailand requests same privilege, otherwise, you are off the list.

Think this would be fair.

This is a wrong interpretation about the visa-agreements with Thailand.

The situation is as follows:

Thailand has BI-LATERAL visa-agreements with many countries. These are all similar in text, accepting the situation to issue various visas (like tourist, business, transit....) in the same way (or very similar way) as the other country is doing it.

Nothing is written there about, which might be considered as VISAFREE....in fact, for both countries: VISA REQUIRED!

To boost touristik earnings, Thailand decided UNI-LATERAL (out of its own) to offer EXCEPTIONS to that BI-LATERAL agreements FOR TOURISTS (usually 30 days in most cases, no visa, but return-ticket)

There is a way of courtesy, to send a note from such related countries to say a polite THANK YOU in a diplomatic way. (note verbale, appreciate the friendly step towards good relations....etc....) - However there is no obligation at all, to respond in the same way.

It is up to Thailand, if they prefer to change or cancel their unilateral decision about visa-exceptions....if such a step however is helpful and useful for Thailand, this is up to them to decide that.

To negotiate true bilateral visa-free agreements you need the agreement of both countries, and this is not so easy to negotiate, a very long diplomatic way....and Thailand is far away from that.

There are not so many countries, offering that to each other.....a good example, where this is the case, is the European Community among their members -

Is there really a difference between an official passport and

an ordinary passport ??

I can see that a diplomatic passport is in a different category

and thus treated differently.

But it seems to me that a passport is an official passport.

Anyone sure about the definitions here ??

Thanks

There are various kind of passports. Among others, mainly used are:

The ordinary passport (is issued on request of the individual) - and is a personal passport....

the service passport and

the diplomatic passport (which are issued only on request of the government related organisations)

These 2 passports, service and diplomatic, offers not only the personal data, like his name or date of birth, but the official organisation, position and COUNTRY, where the holder is active.

Visa procedure for diplomatic and service passport holder:

If the assignment is outside of his own country, he requires accreditation by the government of that country - this might take several months, after that the official visa (visa status: during mission) is issued.

However a holder of diplomatic passport or service passport might use it for private trips to other countries out of his assignment as well.

This can be done however only, if there is a visafree agreement for official passport holders existing between the related countries, or if the holder requests a visa sponsered by the organisation related to his status (note verbale, signed by the organisation, explaining the reason of the trip - like vacation - travel-data - and so on...) - such visa procedures are always visafree, and the passport and the note is delivered to the related embassy by the organisation, not by the passport-holder himself.

Any holder of diplomatic passport enjoy full diplomatic immunity, any holder of a service passport enjoy limited immunity, while a holder of an ordinary passport has no immunity.

PM to me, if you have more questions about that subject or post your questions about it in this thread..

I assume the original poster wants to take his g/f for a short holiday abroad - to see that there is a life outside Thailand, albeit sometimes a very strange one.

To make things easy - stick to ASEAN signatories. They have a reciprocal agreement for tourist visits. Therefore you must have return / onward tickets. And you are not involved in 12-hour flights.

• 2 weeks later...

LovelyCutie:

I took a look at it a couple of months back. Here's the list I got.

ANGUILLA (AI)

(...)

Are you sure Thai can go to Hungary without visa right now? Hungary is EU member (May, 1st).

Dawid;

That's what I've got from the website. I checked it again just now.

National THAILAND (TH)          /Destination HUNGARY (HU)

HUNGARY (HU)

Passport (valid at least 6 months after expiry date of visa)

required.

Visa required, which can be issued on arrival at Budapest

Ferihegy Airport, for a fee of USD 75.- plus USD 10.- for

photos, if required.

Visitor must hold:

- equivalent of HUF 1,000.- per day of stay (major credit cards

accepted); or

- letter of invitation; or

- proof of accommodation reserved and paid via travel agency;

or

- document authorizing visitor for withdrawing cash from a

bank in Hungary; and

- return/onward ticket (or sufficient funds to buy one)

indicating passport number and all documents required for

next destination.

Entry will be refused if:

1. Holding passport containing the remark:

- "expelled"; or

-  residential permit withdrawn ; or

2. Not complying with the regulations.

Carrier will be fined HUF 1,000.000.-.

Or contact the Embassy..

Embassy of Hungary in Bangkok, Thailand

20th Floor, Oak Tower, Prakanon

President Park Condominium,

95 Sukhumvit Soi 24,

Prakanong,

Bangkok 10110

Bangkok

Phone: 02 6611150-2

Fax: 02 6611153

Email: [email protected]

Dawid;

That's what I've got from the website. I checked it again just now.

National THAILAND (TH)          /Destination HUNGARY (HU)

HUNGARY (HU)

(...)

U wrote u checked it few months ago, so I just ask it's still correct. If yes, Thai people can easy go to EU (without visa).

I am only saying that.. that is what is stated on the website. I quoted the source. It ain't my own experience. Everyone knows we cannot easily go to Europe. Again, use it to get some idea and check the Embassies if it's all correct. Simple.

I am only saying that.. that is what is stated on the website. I quoted the source. It ain't my own experience. Everyone knows we cannot easily go to Europe. Again, use it to get some idea and check the Embassies if it's all correct. Simple.

I believe u. For me - doesn't metter, but for Thai people it can be interesting :o As I wrote, Hungary is EU member (but without Shengen rules yet).

I am a Thai. So, yes, it's interesting. Otherwise, I wouldn't spend so much time on it checking the list country by country. Read it all. And picked the ones that were the answer to the original question. Or close enough to be an answer.

U wrote u checked it few months ago, so I just ask it's still correct. If yes, Thai people can easy go to EU (without visa).

It is what comes up today, 8 September on http://www.delta.com/travel/trav_serv/intl...matic/index.jsp

LC spent a lot of time and made up a great list and wonder if anyone can perhaps pin or make it a faq type page. Perhaps LC, between parties, can keep it updated. :D:o

I am a Thai. So, yes, it's interesting. Otherwise, I wouldn't spend so much time on it checking the list country by country. Read it all. And picked the ones that were the answer to the original question. Or close enough to be an answer.

I have completely no idea.. Original question says about 11 countries, but I see there are more on your list. I am not Thai, so for me it's not too interesting :o

Regards,