Thailand's Parliament Convenes First Session Since 2006 Coup

george

I suspect that as I type a dubious Austrian accent is ricocheting through space "I'll be back".

Regards

PS To be serious, the topic here is surely, how we as individuals view the move from the junta to a democratic government, which all those of good will salute, tempered with concerns as to how PPP will deliver on its wide ranging {and expensive} policies, without, unlike Thaksin, the benefit of a stronger more positive world economy.

I'd be out of my league commenting on this (not that that's stopped me in the past)- but would sincerely appreciate hearing your forecasts.

It would be nice if people were reasonable- but they aren't- and I think that we have seen, and will continue to see, Thaksin take on an almost supernatural aura- regardless of the performance of the PPP- among both his supporters and his detractors. He will become Thailand's Peron. When that occurs, the divides become almost religious in nature. And thus, much more difficult to bridge.

I would like to believe that the divide will be defined by simple economic status- but in fact it will take on, I fear, this extra dimension- and the type of conflict on the horizon could have more in common with Bosnia than Bolivia.

In which case, it will make no difference whatsoever how the government handles anything- this will have left the arena of politics and entered something much more dangerous.

Peron, huh? but without the beautiful Eva by his side presumably? Pojaman is hardly an oil painting even after she's spent 2 hours with the make-up team, so the resemblance I guess stops at the man himself. I was thinking about other nationalist / populist leaders in the same vein, but the only ones that keep popping up as having a similar crowd draw appeal to the masses were Mussolini and Hitler. I'm not suggesting for one minute that Mr T was near to gassing anyone or invading any of the neighbours, but the rearranging of society and rallying of the masses to support a single figure (and here I'm thinking of those Muang Thong Thani Toxin love-fests) were not dissimilar.

Who are the better parallels in history than Peron, Mussolini and Hitler I wonder? :o

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who are the better parallels in history than Peron, Mussolini and Hitler I wonder? :o

A loving couple with many, many similarities and direct parallels...

12snap_marcos_gallery__528x550.jpg

Undying love ... former first lady Imelda Marcos kisses a glass case containing the refrigerated remains of her late husband, former Philippines president Ferdinand Marcos, to mark his 88th birthday anniversary.

Photo: AFP

someone who would have also done well during Marcos's murderous regime........

'Refrigerator' comes in from the cold

"Yuth the Refrigerator", otherwise known as Yongyuth Tiyapairat, a loyal aide of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, has made a dramatic comeback to the political arena to head the legislative branches.

Yongyuth's nickname, bestow-ed on him by the press, refers not to any resemblance he has to NFL great William Perry, also known as "The Refrigerator" because of his enormous size. Rather it refers to a spectacular incident.

While serving as Thaksin's secretary-general, he led 50 commandos in a raid on the home of a suspected drug maker in Ayutthaya's Bang Sai district. The house was peppered with 200 bullets.

The barrage shredded the house in dramatic fashion and tore apart almost everything inside. Yet a refrigerator survived, dented and riddled but basically intact, and was taken away by the police as evidence.

That assault and the sight of the fridge being carted off earned him the famous moniker.

Yongyuth later denied he attacked the house because of a complaint.

Putting the incident and the coup behind him, he yesterday marked another milestone in his career by being elected House speaker and Parliament president.

The politician, who turns 47 in April, won the post by 307 votes to Democrat Party MP Banyat Bantadtan's 167.

Yongyuth was part of Thaksin's inner circle and was taken into custody along with three other key members of Thaksin's government during the coup on September 19, 2006. After he was released, he left politics and took up a PhD programme in Canada.

His name faded from the public's memory over the next 15 months and it was widely assumed his political career was finished. But he staged a sudden comeback, returning home when Thai Rak Thai was dissolved.

He took on the role of a Deputy Leader in People Power Party, which is strongly aligned with Thaksin. When PPP won the December 23 election, Yongyuth became first choice for the positions of House speaker and Parliament President.

But there have been allegations that he was involved in vote buying in Chiang Rai, where his younger sister Laong ran for a seat. If proven, his involvement could have repercussions for the party, even if he resigned as deputy leader.

Because he served in an executive position, PPP could be dissolved.

If anything, though, Yongyuth is a wily survivor. His political career began in 1995 under the wing of the Solidarity Party.

In 1996, Yongyuth jumped camp to the Democrat Party. He ran for and won a constituency seat in Chiang Rai. At one stage he was promoted to secretary to PM's Office minister Khunying Supatra Masdit.

He changed sides again when Thai Rak Thai fever gripped the North. "Thaksin was not an expert in politics. He needed an assistant to coach him on how to take on his rival, the Democrats. Yongyuth would come to fill this role," said a source from the now defunct TRT.

But their relationship goes back much further. Thaksin was acquainted with Yongyuth long before they entered politics as their families had engaged in trade while they were young. Thaksin's parents were traders in Chiang Mai while Yongyuth's family were also merchants in neighbouring Chiang Rai.

The TRT won the election in 2001. A surprise choice was made when Yongyuth was appointed government spokesman two years later. He rose further up the ladder when he was appointed the prime minister's secretary-general.

Known to be enthusiastic about his job, it came as no surprise to other party members when Thaksin made him Natural Resources & Environment minister.

Yongyuth is known for his quick wit and sharp tongue. Said to have gained the trust of Thaksin and his wife, Yongyuth's star seemed to grow ever brighter.

He once told reporters he had only one boss, namely Thaksin. He would carry out whatever order the boss gave him.

In the 2005 election, Thaksin prepared strategy lists to help him to complete his four-year term. He did not factor in political accidents. He had three lists: party list MP candidates, ministerial candidates, and constitutional MP candidates.

But he did not place Yongyuth's name on the list of party executives because Thaksin wanted him to work only for his government. The same occurred with Surapong Suebwonglee, another trusted aide.

Consequently, he escaped the fate that befell the 111 executives of TRT. But time will tell whether he escapes the clutches of the Election Commission.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

We are in for an enterntaining year, as good as late 2005-2006.

Instead of waiting for the next coup, when do you think the first public discontent will be? I don't mean docile farmers waiting for handouts, I mean Thai civil society.

Thaskin wasn't able to control it even with absolute majority and absolute control over the media. How long will Samak last?

Instead of waiting for the next coup, when do you think the first public discontent will be? I don't mean docile farmers waiting for handouts, I mean Thai civil society.

Thaskin wasn't able to control it even with absolute majority and absolute control over the media. How long will Samak last?

An honest answer is the moment he starts undoing all the right things that have happened with the laws, letting people off the hook and so on. At last check they were all in the top 5 on the PPP to do list. So my guess is under a week once they get started. I also don’t think Samak will be as reserved about calling for a state of emergency to put down the protests.

Edited by John K

I tend to agree that this administration will lack legs but, although painfully short of political talent, I suspect the darkening economic position will be the critical factor for change.I'm not so concerned about another coup as even the most boneheaded seem to understand now this primitive method of achieving change only makes matters worse.Khun Abhisit should be preparing his administration for assuming power in a year or so.

But overall how depressing is the political landscape in Thailand.One is reminded of Yeats' famous lines

"Things fall apart:the centre cannot hold

Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

The blood dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere

The ceremony of innocence is drowned

The best lack all conviction,while the worst

Are full of passionate intensity"

These are the burning questions aren't they? It is viewed that it is best to play a waiting game. No real rush here. The military will concentrate on Thaksin via the courts while the northeast has its "elected" government. The people in the northeast need to have time to evaluate the government they have supported. They need to realize by themselves (OK with some help) that their votes for parties like the PPP are not going to better their position. They are being squeezed. Personal debt is high and rising with interest due. The economy is weakening. The THB is strengthening hurting exports and leading to rising costs. Rushing in with demonstrations in Bangkok against these guys right now would be a mistake. There is time.

Edited by Old Man River

I suspect the darkening economic position will be the critical factor for change.....Khun Abhisit should be preparing his administration for assuming power in a year or so.

Do you think it will be that easy? That PPP wil simply fold without putting up a fight?

Right now they are gearing for a big battle, there will be "blood".

The military won't step in to separate the warring sides until the very last minute.

So, if you think that the situation back in 2006 would have cleared all by itself - sit back and watch "people vs government" round two.

I won't be surprised that there WILL be calls for the army to move in again.

I suspect the darkening economic position will be the critical factor for change.....Khun Abhisit should be preparing his administration for assuming power in a year or so.

Do you think it will be that easy? That PPP wil simply fold without putting up a fight?

The military won't step in to separate the warring sides until the very last minute.

So, if you think that the situation back in 2006 would have cleared all by itself - sit back and watch "people vs government" round two.

This is premature. No need to rush it. The army won't move back in again unless they fail in the courts and think that the people in the northeast will never grasp the situation. If this happens, then, yes all bets are off. Now, it is playing a waiting game to see if the PPP actually do hang themselves.

Honest answer is that I don't know.If the PPP fails the economic competence test (probability high because of a) harsh external climate :o weak management capabilty) leading to loss of support in voter base, then situation could change quickly if not quite "all by itself".I suppose much will hinge on how Thaksin return issue is handled.Right now I don't sense the PPP has much charismatic pull without him.There are always some who support military intervention in Thailand but surely most agree this looks rather unlikely in foreseeable future.Only point I don't really agree with you is the blood curdling embryonic army (Who exactly? Bangkok middle class, Premocrats, PAD Mark 2???) you suggest is forming to "take on " the PPP.I just don't see this but of course still early days.

Tough Talker Likely to Become Thai PM

BANGKOK, Thailand — Samak Sundaravej — the man likely to become Thailand's next prime minister — is known for his sharp tongue and short temper.

Whether erupting at reporters for asking "stupid!" questions or whipping up curries on his TV cooking show, the 72-year-old has gained fame — and notoriety — largely thanks to his words.

He minced few words in his campaign for last month's elections, declaring himself the proxy for deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

His platform was a carbon copy of Thaksin's populist agenda, which provided cheap health care and low-interest loans to the poor. Samak's People's Power Party heads a coalition with two-thirds of parliament's 480 seats, making him the most likely candidate to become prime minister when parliament votes Friday.

"He comes across as belligerent, aggressive and uncompromising," said Thitinan Pongsidhirak, a political scientist and professor at Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University.

"But many people find him affable. He's kind of like your uncle. He's folksy, and not afraid to be a bit profane. He's straight-shooting and connects with a lot of people."

Charisma alone would not have propelled Samak to the premiership. But he won widespread support by piggybacking on the popularity of Thaksin, the billionaire tycoon ousted in a 2006 coup for alleged corruption and abuse of power.

"I don't like Samak's mouth. He's always chewing people out. But I like Thaksin," said taxi driver Prawut Panto, who like many cabbies in Bangkok comes from the rural heartland that supports Thaksin. "I voted for Samak because we know Thaksin is backing him."

A former Bangkok mayor who has held several Cabinet posts, Samak has been a divisive figure for decades.

He is widely accused of having fomented anti-communist sentiment in 1976 that prompted mobs to storm a Bangkok university, killing dozens of leftist student activists. The massacre came after Indochina had fallen under communist rule and Thailand was deeply polarized between right and left.

Samak, who was deputy interior minister at the time, subscribed to a motto of the extreme right-wing, "It's no sin to kill communists."

He was linked to another bloodbath in 1992 now known as "Black May."

Dozens were killed when the army fired on street protesters in Bangkok demanding the resignation of Gen. Suchinda Kraprayoon, who had become prime minister in a coup the year before.

Samak, then deputy prime minister, said the demonstrators were troublemakers who needed to be controlled. He has never expressed contrition for the killings.

A Bangkok native with a law degree and strong ties to the royal family, Samak was elected mayor of the capital in 2000. He left the job four years later with low approval ratings but resurfaced with a popular TV cooking show called "Tasting and Complaining," a mix of Thai cooking and rants on subjects of Samak's choice.

Dealing with the media brings out the street fighter in Samak, who has a history of confrontation with the press.

One of his most colorful recent remarks was to a female Thai reporter, who inquired about rumors of infighting within his party. "Did you have sinful sex last night?" he snapped back.

His penchant for vulgarity has earned Samak the nickname "Dog Mouth" among critics.

At a weekend news conference, Samak bristled when asked if he would become prime minister. "That's a lousy and provocative question," he told a Thai reporter.

The situation worsened when an Associated Press reporter asked a follow-up question: "If you don't expect us to ask who will become prime minister, what else should this event be about?" Samak shouted back that the answer would come in parliament.

The verbal battle was carried in all Thai-language newspapers and in the English-language Bangkok Post under the headline, "Samak Loses His Cool Again."

Article posted here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1771820

SAMAK LOSES HIS COOL AGAIN,Refuses to answer most questions

- Associated Press

It is good to see the international media not ignoring his links to massacres in 1976 and 1992 as do the local media. One wonders why this wasnt a front page issue for a possible PM. Im quite sure if any of the current crop of US wannabe leaders had been linked to at least cheerleading and excusing massacres of their own citizens we would be hearing all about it. :o It seems this is not an issue in Thailand and the fourth estate are unwilling to make it one. Even Pratchai keep tight lipped while exposing other things that pale in comparison. Certainly as democracy develops in Thailand the role the media takes need to inprove drastically to say the least.

OK seeing is stress and anxiety is available in generous helpings, it may be nice to have a little fun before the toilet erupts, so using this or any photo of Samak come up with captions.

post-17597-1201058800_thumb.jpg

Look a smart person, don’t talk to them or they will know.

Or

What’s that?

Or

I have a dress like that.

Or

One!

Or

Those have got to be silicone.

I don't think the army would move in to finish Thaksin off, they'd leave it to the courts and to the people. They could be asked to intervene to prevent the bloodshed ala 1976 when Thanom returned from exile. I hope this time around someone will stop the massacre, and it won't be Samak, I believe.

As for PPP losing popular support - won't happen anytime soon. People must be disenchanted with Thaksin himself, not PPP. They will always have excuses until Thaksin comes back and fails himself, and it won't happen.

They will fold it Thaksin withdraws financial support.

For some reason the spoof horror film Re-Animator sprung to mind reading this.

A source, who asked not to be named, said former prime minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh might take the post of deputy prime minister in charge of national security and poverty eradication.
also in the article is this market reassuring comment:-
As to whether he was a greenhorn in economic matters, Surapong said: "Novice, so what?"
Regards

/edit typo//

Edited by A_Traveller

This is premature. No need to rush it. The army won't move back in again unless they fail in the courts and think that the people in the northeast will never grasp the situation. If this happens, then, yes all bets are off. Now, it is playing a waiting game to see if the PPP actually do hang themselves.

There are factors that will affect both sides. The army will beocome more and more stacked with PPP allies in important positions as time goes by possibly forcing them to move earlier than they want if they have that in mind although those behind them could arguably appeal to their loyalists to overthrow PPP appointees, but that could be messy. We also shouldnt forget that TRT had military reshuffle lists returned to it unsigned in the past due to technical reasons. The courts and how it goes is another issue. That is not easy to predict. We all now know the story of the sudden flip on the last day of the 2001 assets concealment case.

Then there is the economy. Those behind PPP are not stupid. They know the economy they have to manage is their major weakpoint. They in all likelihood cannot deliver on many of their promises and will see debt skyrocket with unemployment amongst the lower urban classes doing the same. They will need to construct an event to hold a snap and early election to give them the power they need to ride out a full four year period while praying a US recession (which some analysyts say has arrived) doesnt destroy them too. That to me indicates another election fairly soon for the sake of the PPP who control when it will be. In the meantime they actually need all the confrontation to keep their supporters minds off of delivering on debt forgiveness and various handout schemes. How much of future budgets has already been allocated through previous expense of TRT and Surayud governments, and how much of this was based on growth of over 6 %, which has not been seen since 2004 and even then barely? It is PPP opponents who should be quite happy to see a lessening of confrontation and the PPP having to take responsibility for government with no interference or excuse perceived or otherwise. That may even be the Dem take on this. However, with all those military, police, bureacracy reshuffles occuring every 6 months time may also worry the Junta side and their major supporters are not getting any younger.

The issue is that as the saying goes, [insert world leader here] asking if the candidate is a lucky general? Thaksin was, at least from an economic standpoint, with both the US and China absorbing huge inflows, either by domestic credit or growth. That short bright period is gone, with US savings, by some analytics in negative territory vs incomes, the consumption engine has to throttle back. Without that 'market support' PPP will find itself very quickly enmeshed in a web of non-delivery. problem then is what do they do to divert attention from this, so their supporters remain in place, at least, as others have said until the next snap election. On balance PPP doesn't strike one as a conciliatory operation, so is there a risk of yet more divisive propaganda, frankly, in my view yes. Question is who's fault will it be this time, speculators, foreign influences, invisible hands?

Stability where are though?

Regards

/edit typo//

Edited by A_Traveller

For some reason the spoof horror film Re-Animator sprung to mind reading this.
A source, who asked not to be named, said former prime minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh might take the post of deputy prime minister in charge of national security and poverty eradication.
also in the article is this market reassuring comment:-
As to whether he was a greenhorn in economic matters, Surapong said: "Novice, so what?"
Regards

/edit typo//

Chavalit's mental faculties have all but disppeared in recent years, and he is a bit of a joke among anyone certainly with education especailly regarding his usually inane (or should that be insane) ramblings. Guess he'll make an ideal candidate :o

And oh what fun another monstrous dinosaur come political failure riding out on his white charger to save the country. Some of these people have pretty dodgy CV's. Be interesting to see him and Mak working together considering Mak was supporting the killing of the protestors Chavalit was supporting back in 1992.

One of the most interesting things of the past few years has been to see those in the politcal elite by and large show they have no politcal ideology or priniciples short of taking care of number one and the family and grabbing as much power and face as possible identified by the way they have allied themselves.

Edited by hammered

I know the conversation is going along as if the PPP survive what the EC has to decide on yet. However keep that though as how things will be if and during getting disqualified.
Really can't see this now, after all the dissolution of TRT didn't work, and terminating 2 political parties in the space of 18 months in such a manner runs the risk of claims of 'coup by stealth' and further inflames passions, which the PM presumptive is always so in control of.

Regards

I know the conversation is going along as if the PPP survive what the EC has to decide on yet. However keep that though as how things will be if and during getting disqualified.
Really can't see this now, after all the dissolution of TRT didn't work, and terminating 2 political parties in the space of 18 months in such a manner runs the risk of claims of 'coup by stealth' and further inflames passions, which the PM presumptive is always so in control of.

Regards

OK as I understood it that did not happen because of a technicality. The case although valid can’t be submitted by anyone except the EC. It was not the EC who submitted the case.

It is PPP opponents who should be quite happy to see a lessening of confrontation and the PPP having to take responsibility for government with no interference or excuse perceived or otherwise.

That is exactly what I am saying. Until the people in the northeast grasp the fact that the TRT incarnates cannot help them, we will continue to be at a stalemate. It is best to play a waiting game (6 months, a year, whatever) to give the PPP time to show their incompetence in these issues. Then, demonstrations against them will have a wider audience. The military is a separate issue. If the PPP weakens from within, an outsiders task is all the more easier.

There are factors that will affect both sides. The army will beocome more and more stacked with PPP allies in important positions as time goes by possibly forcing them to move earlier than they want..

Even if it's stacked with PPP allies they will be asked to move in when confrontation becomes really violent, probalby not during this year as it's a wait and see period, as Oldmanriver said.

Then there is the economy. Those behind PPP are not stupid. They know the economy they have to manage is their major weakpoint.

If Thaksin wants PPP only to help him get his money back, economy doesn't matter. It might matter to someone who will be left stranded, someone like Surapong, but who really cares what he thinks?

At the moment no one, even Thaksin, sees the possibility of taking PMship once again, and so why should he care about the economy very much? Short term debt forgiveness and rice subsidies is probably all he needs to let PPP finish its task of fixing the courts, and it shouldn't take longer than a year. I don't think he needs them after that at all.

The confrontation I refer to is a case if Thaksin can't accept courts decisions and tries to completely usurp the power.

Re legal process, As I understand it, the position was the court to whom it was submitted ruled they did not have jurisdiction. Further there was pressure to drop the case, given the risks, especially since it was looking more likely, as subsequently happened, that PPP would create a coalition of all parties, The Democrats excepted.

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

John, to date the EC has not shown any willingness to make hard decisions. They just want all of this to end so they can go back to their normal lives.

Regards

Agree totally. It is PPP that needs the confrontation to continue or even get worse as it is they who are now or shortly will be overseeing the weak Thai economy as we head into an economic slowdown. Bear in mind that according to the Economist GDP growth in Thailand was

2004 6.3%

2005 4.5%

2006 5.0%

2007 4.5%

and they are predicting growth of under 5% for the next 5 years. These predictions being made before the recent indications that the shape of the world economy is worse than previously thought.

These figures give the PPP other things to think about. Growth had already slowed well before the military takeover. So it would indicate that previous TRT policies need careful assessment and overview and cannot just be reintroduced as a kind of solve all panacea. Since the slowdown it has not picked up and a well respected international journal is predicting it wont change much in the next half decade. As apart from the few well known schemes of the Thaksin government there was a heavy reliance on trickle down (Ten Kate and others have written on this) to alleviate poverty. All in all PPP have huge economic issues confronting them and the impact of them seems to speeding up right now. It is not surprising that a qualified candidate for finance minister is hard to be found as squaring the cirlce of managing the economy to keep it stable and investior friendly while also trying to meet not only campaign promises (contiuation of the previous TRT policies) but also the expectations of the poor who gave them the victory (debt relief and expanded populist polices) is nigh on impossible given current economic realities. That as much as anything is a good reason why the PPP needs the confrontation to distract. Already they are trying to blame the lack of candidates for finance minister on too strong laws and poltical situation, which keeps the debate away from the very weak economic position, but this is only a short term meme, something far more dramatic is needed to keep attention away from rising prices, unemployment, greater debt etc that will affect those they represent far more than any other group.

They can always start infrastructure projects going, but they won't see the results for a couple of years, so no good.

It does look like they need political turbulence to excuse themselves in the meantime, and it will be provided, no doubts.

They can always start infrastructure projects going, but they won't see the results for a couple of years, so no good.

It does look like they need political turbulence to excuse themselves in the meantime, and it will be provided, no doubts.

It seems rational. From their perspective they will need to get to a snap election in say the next yera and then win a huge overall majority, which is possible. Then they can have 4 years in which to see the government spending impact into the economy. So conflict until the next election comes will serve them well. It will be interesting to se around what issue they will choose to have it. Fronm their perspective one that helps them in an election is better.

How opponents will counter this will be interesting too.

Coalition parties unanimously elect PPP Deputy leader as temporary Whip president

Deputy Secretary-General of the People’s Power Party Sukumpong Ngonkum (สุขุมพงศ์ โง่นคำ) revealed details of the temporary Government Whip meeting which was attended by members of all 6 coalition parties. The meeting unanimously nominated Deputy Leader of the People’s Power Party Somphong Amornwiwat (สมพงษ์ อมรวิวัฒน์) to serve as a temporary of the Whip which will serve as an inter-party liaison between the coalition participants.

The Whip meeting also decided that parliament meetings will take place twice every week on Wednesdays and Thursdays. The Whip is scheduled to meet again on Thursday (January 24) to rule on the pivotal matter of who will be the Prime Minister, but the group must also await royal validation of the Chairman and Deputy Chairman of the House of Representatives.

Mr. Somphong stated that he is not worried that many votes were cast in favor of the Chairman and Deputy Chairman of the House of Representatives to be from the Democrat Party. He said the through true test will be during the election of the Prime Minister.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 23 January 2008