How Do I Get Rid Of Noisy Toads?

I have a fish pond and a swimming pool.

Just lately I seem to have been inundated with mating toads. They sit by the side of the pond and pool and make very loud mating calls. The noise is so loud that I have difficulty listening to my TV out on the pool terrace.

I have tried knocking them in the pond, but after a few minutes they jump out and start again.

I don't want to kill them.

Any suggestions anyone? :o

I'm not an expert, but I believe toads are poisonous :o

BTW the noise has finally stopped. There's obviously a curfew on toad procreation.

Edited by Mobi

BTW the noise has finally stopped. There's obviously a curfew on toad procreation.

I had the same problem at my last house.

The noise becomes unbearable at times, but more importantly, when they start laying their spawn, that will kill your fish.

Kill them I say.

I used to go out at night and smack them with end of a broom. Not pleasant but if you dont you will end up with a pond full of dead fish

DH and I saw toads for sale in Isaan when we were there about 10 years ago. Apparently they soak the toads, peel off the skin and then eat them. The skin is what is poisonous.

:o No thanks!

Just lately I seem to have been inundated with mating toads. They sit by the side of the pond and pool and make very loud mating calls. The noise is so loud that I have difficulty listening to my TV out on the pool terrace.

I have tried knocking them in the pond, but after a few minutes they jump out and start again.

Any suggestions anyone? :D

Simple, wait till the mating is over !

Consolation is you then have about 10 months of peace. Well apart from the chickens, frogs, jing joks, dogs, cats, people trying to sing....! TIT

:o

Ally

Frogs and toads are one of my favourite noises!

You could buy some of that "Green " music at the BTS in BKK and create a whole natural symphony playing it along with the toads - always knew there was a use for that music!

Had a friend from Oz staying staying one year - he thought we were keeping nocturnal cows behind the house. :o

Had to go out frog hunting one night to prove him wrong!

If you want something really serious to complain about, try this topic.

Kids living in houses nearby waking up at 6am screaming and crying at the tops of their voices that they don't want to go to school!

Oh how I love the school holidays.

The noise becomes unbearable at times, but more importantly, when they start laying their spawn, that will kill your fish.

Kill them I say.

I used to go out at night and smack them with end of a broom. Not pleasant but if you dont you will end up with a pond full of dead fish

Toad's spawning does not kill fish.

Edited by burman

We have problems with Cane Toads usually all summer, but we find a round of torchlight toad golf :D usually solves the problem for a week or two :D we cant have them eating all the tree frogs and small reptiles, toads about give them a clout :o Nignoy

PS the green fella is Freddo lives in a hanging basket on the verandah

post-11182-1205654733_thumb.jpg

post-11182-1205654838_thumb.jpg

Consolation is you then have about 10 months of peace. Well apart from the chickens, frogs, jing joks, dogs, cats, people trying to sing....! TIT

Ally

the toads in my pond are mating not only EVERY month but it seems at least twice a week :D and there was no "peace" since we moved into our home in august 2006. but unlike my friend Mobi i am not really bothered by the noise.

Kill them I say.

Or a garden full of dead toads...yuk!

I have the same problem, because I built a pond too close to my house. I'm not going to take it out on the toads, it's not their fault... and my fish are fine, enjoying eating the tadpoles (at least the fish seem to be prospering and the tadpoles are fewer in number every day). Perhaps you could drain the pond? buy a crocodile?

Ally

the toads in my pond are mating not only EVERY month but it seems at least twice a week :D and there was no "peace" since we moved into our home in august 2006. but unlike my friend Mobi i am not really bothered by the noise.

Yes Nam, I too find they are at it just about every week.

Must be the highly charged sexual tension that pervades this fair land. :D

The noise wouldn't bother me if I wasn't sitting a few yards away trying to listen to the TV with my poor old ageing ears.

I have around 20 coi carp and they are all fine - no poisoning there.

And I don't really want to interfere with nature.

The only thing I can think of is to get a tape recording of the noise, and lure them away to some vacant plot nearby. Seems a bit deperate tho :D

You're fighting a losing battle. If you kill every frog then there is another million of them just round the corner to descend on your pond. If you move all the frogs out of the area they will find there way back. I believe frogs that mate annually will always come back to the same pond for breeding so you might want to expect this population to increase over the years.

Maybe an idea is to add a natural predator of the frogs to the pond? Water snakes/turtles (?) or some such creatures, something that will not disturb the fish or yourself. It might keep the population down a bit.

End of the day though you build a big pond in a tropical country it's gonna get filled with frogs soon enough, and I think you will have to learn to live with it. If you can learn to appreciate it, then even better!

Well to be honest, sounds lovely to me, but I expect I am not appreciating the full volume of their nightly rendez vous.

Ps. depending on what type of frog/toad they are then a group of locals kids might very well take them off your hands for their mum's cooking pot.

(Ally will say I'm not so nice now). :o

... and I think you will have to learn to live with it. If you can learn to appreciate it, then even better!

Your nice :D

Yes, that's what I thought :D

It's strange isn't it? It doesn't matter how innocuous the subject, there's alwayys someone out there who is determined to be obnoxious.

I think it was pretty clear from the tone of my posts that this was a very light hearted inquiry. No need for nastiness surely? :o

BTW Herr burman, they are toads - not frogs. If you you want to lecture me on nature appreciation, at least read the posts properly and get your facts straight. :D

Mating seems to be over for now - just the gentle ripple of the pool, and the waterfall sloshing into the fishpond. The toads must be having an after sex smoke. :D

I

... and I think you will have to learn to live with it. If you can learn to appreciate it, then even better!

Your nice :D

Yes, that's what I thought :D

It's strange isn't it? It doesn't matter how innocuous the subject, there's alwayys someone out there who is determined to be obnoxious.

I think it was pretty clear from the tone of my posts that this was a very light hearted inquiry. No need for nastiness surely? :o

BTW Herr burman, they are toads - not frogs. If you you want to lecture me on nature appreciation, at least read the posts properly and get your facts straight. :D

Mating seems to be over for now - just the gentle ripple of the pool, and the waterfall sloshing into the fishpond. The toads must be having an after sex smoke. :D

I

Isn't it strange, I was just trying to be helpful to someone who has a pond problem and I get called obnoxious and nasty.

Apologies for mixing up the words frogs and toads, I will try much harder to be accurate in future whilst I try to offer suggestions to your problem. :D

Think you took my post completely the wrong way Mobi.

Isn't it strange, I was just trying to be helpful to someone who has a pond problem and I get called obnoxious and nasty.

Apologies for mixing up the words frogs and toads, I will try much harder to be accurate in future whilst I try to offer suggestions to your problem. :o

Think you took my post completely the wrong way Mobi.

Yeah, well I was probably suffering from "Toad Rage"

Sorry if I took it the wrong way and apologies accepted. :D

It's only about toads, after all...... :D

I Have the same problem ...you should hear the little buggers when its been raining...

I to found that they sometimes oversung the Tv volume at max....so i simply turn the TV of sit outside and listened to froggie sex calls its better than tele and part of the experience of living here.

The strange thing is many people that hear them for the first time ask Do you have Cows live nearby?......... :o

• 10 months later...

Are you for real?

This is Thailand, the tropics, what do you expect?

I love the sound of all the different animals that inhabit my land, that`s what makes Thailand special for me.

You could aways return back to your home country, maybe not so much wildlife there.

I have tried just collecting the toads in a bucket then take them for a walk and release, doesn’t work they just come back home “just like the kids”,

This bucket full was just behind the washing machine this morning; they had to be moved to allow the area to be cleaned,

post-9958-1234956434_thumb.jpg