Koh Phangan Police Chief Transferred For Failure To Curb Rising Crime

Here is part of the story, unfortunately the Bkk Post only allows the first 3 sentences and a link:

Koh Phangan's chief of police transferred

SURAT THANI: The police chief of Koh Phangan was transferred immediately toe 8th Regional Police Bureau yesterday following his failure to curb rising crime one resort island.

Pol Col Wutichai Hanhabun will work ate bureau for 120 days or until an inquiry team finishes a disciplinary investigation, according to an order signed by bureau chief Tani Tawitsri, who overseese South.

Pol Lt-Gen Tani decided to take harsh action againste Koh Phangan police chief after a number of complaints about tourists' safety and alleged rifts among state agencies.

continued at the Bangkok Post

But, essentially, it is the case of the missing Danny Hall, the stabbing death of the Indian tourist, the rape of a female tourist, and police taking bribes for not arresting people with possession of marijuana along with local complaints that has gotten this guy kicked out. Apparently the Governor is unhappy with the District Officer as well.

Hmmm... wonder if the new guy will be any different especially when he still has the same police force to work with?

its a real legal mafia there...for a tiny amount of ganga (under 10 grams) its 90,000 THB payoff for a Farang

they will take payments if you can understand that one!!!

I had a friend busted there and he told me the whole sick corrupt story

they shake you down (under your balls too) and can find it if its there too

legally in Thailand for that amount for a normal Thai its a 2500 THB fine

its a sick money racket all the way against the Farang

that guy must be sooo rich now he can retire.... whats new in Thailand?

its a real legal mafia there...for a tiny amount of ganga (under 10 grams) its 90,000 THB payoff for a Farang

they will take payments if you can understand that one!!!

I had a friend busted there and he told me the whole sick corrupt story

they shake you down (under your balls too) and can find it if its there too

legally in Thailand for that amount for a normal Thai its a 2500 THB fine

its a sick money racket all the way against the Farang

that guy must be sooo rich now he can retire.... whats new in Thailand?

No body asked your mate to come to thailand and break the law. Your mate must be sooo stupid to travel with dope on him!!!!

I agree not a good police force, but if your mate didn't want to pay the bribe, then he could have gone through the legal process.

They offered him an easy way out, and he took it.

Here is part of the story, unfortunately the Bkk Post only allows the first 3 sentences and a link:
Koh Phangan's chief of police transferred

SURAT THANI: The police chief of Koh Phangan was transferred immediately toe 8th Regional Police Bureau yesterday following his failure to curb rising crime one resort island.

Pol Col Wutichai Hanhabun will work ate bureau for 120 days or until an inquiry team finishes a disciplinary investigation, according to an order signed by bureau chief Tani Tawitsri, who overseese South.

Pol Lt-Gen Tani decided to take harsh action againste Koh Phangan police chief after a number of complaints about tourists' safety and alleged rifts among state agencies.

continued at the Bangkok Post

But, essentially, it is the case of the missing Danny Hall, the stabbing death of the Indian tourist, the rape of a female tourist, and police taking bribes for not arresting people with possession of marijuana along with local complaints that has gotten this guy kicked out. Apparently the Governor is unhappy with the District Officer as well.

Hmmm... wonder if the new guy will be any different especially when he still has the same police force to work with?

Honestly, I see no reason to transfer the police chief ... he did nothing thus he did nothing wrong.

BTW do we not have a high ranking police guy who built a Villa on top of Bangrak mountain without a chanote? This is a reason to be sacked.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the real reason for the transfer was the killing of a local politician in Sritanu. Everybody knows who it was, but because it was another local politician the policeboss didn't want to take action. As soon as the new 'man' came to office he arrestet the man who paid two hitmen. The hitmen are still at large.

But at the end of the day there is a pricetak on EVERYTHING here on koh phangan.

Edited by frankman