Thaksin To Sack Eriksson At End Of Season

george

Thaksin to sack Eriksson at end of season: UK media

Eriksson starts preparing for exit from City

Sven-Goran Eriksson's future as Manchester City manager was looking increasingly bleak last night, with the former England head coach resigned to the fact that the club's owner, Thaksin Shinawatra, intends to pay him off. The Swede summoned his players yesterday to admit that there was a strong possibility he would be sacked and that the process might be accelerated by the 3-2 defeat to Fulham on Saturday.

Eriksson decided it was time to address the subject after several players asked him for clarification. Michael Ball followed Nedum Onuoha and Micah Richards in speaking out in his support. "Every player is 100% behind him. We like his methods, the way he trains, the way he goes about his tactics," the defender said.

That seems to matter little to Thaksin, who has refused to offer public backing, and there is a growing feeling that Eriksson is on borrowed time. He has no plans to resign, not least because it would mean missing out on a payoff for the final 25 months of his £2.5m-a-year deal, but he has been increasingly disillusioned since Thaksin made it clear he was contemplating bringing in another manager.

The two men met for the first time in over a month on Sunday and Eriksson was initially said to be encouraged by what were described as "cordial" talks, in particular by the fact that Thaksin wanted to talk about transfer targets. But the manager did not receive any assurances about his future and inquiries behind the scenes have increased his anxiety.

Eriksson believes he has done a creditable job, with City ensconced in the top 10 all season and the only club to manage a double over Manchester United. Even though he is too financially astute to resign, he is coming round to the opinion that it would be better to leave and he would not be against entering talks about a payoff. Ideally he would like to stay in England but it is more likely he would go to Spain or France.

The situation has demoralised the English representatives on City's board, all of whom want Thaksin to change his mind but are aware that the former prime minister of Thailand is not a man who can be talked around easily. The chief executive, Alistair Mackintosh, and vice-chairman, John Wardle, are particularly dismayed.

--The Nation 2008-04-29

If Thaksin wanted instant success, then he should have bought one of the big 4. Realistically, he couldn't have expected City to break into the big 4 in one season. Swen has done quite well and has managed to transform City from a lower league side to a top half side. Because City's from has tailed off the last couple of months, Thaksin is now considering a switch of manager. The only person that will come out with credit in this will be Swen as he gets another handsome payoff and he will have restored some of his reputation after England's poor showing at the World Cup.

If Thaksin wanted instant success, then he should have bought one of the big 4. Realistically, he couldn't have expected City to break into the big 4 in one season. Swen has done quite well and has managed to transform City from a lower league side to a top half side. Because City's from has tailed off the last couple of months, Thaksin is now considering a switch of manager. The only person that will come out with credit in this will be Swen as he gets another handsome payoff and he will have restored some of his reputation after England's poor showing at the World Cup.

ironically, if he had not plowed ahead so hard in the first 1/2 of the season, no one would probably expect that much; it is more that they had a bit burst early on, and are now back to where they probably should be in the league.

I think Sven has actually done ok, not sure why anyone would expect much more; City aren't a team of under paid over acheivers like Everton, more like a team of plodders and it takes some time to move them up a few rungs. You can't expect top 4 that easily.

I suspect though, Thaksin is gutted that having been in the top 4 for a while, not only will they not make top 4, but won't make Europe or win anything at all; Thai people are starting to see cracks in the Shinawatra magic touch (not that I believe he ever had one, but most of Isaan does).

Thaksin beleives in his own personality cult, and he thinks he can do as he pleases and get results, just like he does with the Thai electorate. It's a crass decision, taken by a football naive crook.

Apparently when the Thaksin/Sven regime started they had a five year plan.

For the first season the plan was for City to get into the top 10 then improve each season till European qualification and top 4 status in the Premiership was achieved.

City are currently 9th so the first season objectives have been met.

Okay they have tailed off a bit since the New Year but have still had quite a good season.

Maybe Sven would have been better if City would have been 15th at Xmas then improved to 9th now......or then again maybe Thaksin would have sacked him at Xmas.

So who could be the next City manager ? Theres a lot of talk about Scolari.....I dont think Mourinho would be interested in the job.

Personally I think Svens been hard done to.......and I support Man United & Macclesfield :o

Thaksin again showing that he has little understanding or maybe he does,nt give a s£%t what the supporters (voters) feel. Man City did the double over Man utd. This does not happen very often. Sven bought a load of unseen players at the start of the season because of the late takeover by Thaksin.The team had a fantastic start but like many teams with lots of new players hit a bad patch. This is where Thaksin shows his inability to understand the real world. Just because you throw loads of money at something does'nt mean you get instant results. This may happen when your Primeminister of Thailand as even if your plan fails it will appear to everyone that you succeeded. If he sacks Sven he will need to bring in a manager that can do better or he will find the fans turning on him. He is not a Man city supporter. He rarely goes to the matches and the fans will soon forget about the money he has put into the club and call for his head if the results are not instant. I personaly hope that this happens as Thaksin is quite obviously a very crooked man and I would like to see the media print some real facts about the man.

Sven will be off to Chelsea I would imagine? Could'nt of worked out better for him.

Edited by Fantasteak

'Eriksson unlikely to be at City next season'

Sven-Goran Eriksson's agent Athole Still today claimed it is 'looking odds against' the Swede still being manager of Manchester City next season.

Eriksson's future role at Eastlands has appeared uncertain in recent weeks since club owner Thaksin Shinawatra publicly expressed his dissatisfaction at how City's season has fallen away.

They have won just twice in their last 12 games.

Still told Sky Sports News 'That's the way that it's looking - believe me I don't know, I am just giving an answer and a reasonably-formed opinion - it's looking odds against,' said Still after Eriksson met Thaksin on Sunday for what had been previously been described as 'cordial' talks.

'It's just developments over the last couple of days. If Dr Shinawatra was going to give his ringing support we would have heard it over the last couple of days.'

I suppose SGE can be thankful that Toxin hasn't had him killed.

Joking aside, this is realy quite a sad deVelopment for the City fans, and suggests that Toxin has little idea of English football and it's fans. Toxin is about to find out what it's like to be very disliked judging by some of the stuff being posted on various sites, something that he isn't used to as he's normallY surrounded by fawning cronies and paid for supporters.

Toxin should never have been allowed to take control of an EPL club anyway, with his alleged human rights and corruption record. Time for the EPL to tighten up on the vetting of overseas owners IMO.

Edited by mrtoad

I suppose SGE can be thankful that Toxin hasn't had him killed.

Joking aside, this is realy quite a sad deVelopment for the City fans, and suggests that Toxin has little idea of English football and it's fans. Toxin is about to find out what it's like to be very disliked judging by some of the stuff being posted on various sites, something that he isn't used to as he's normallY surrounded by fawning cronies and paid for supporters.

Toxin should never have been allowed to take control of an EPL club anyway, with his alleged human rights and corruption record. Time for the EPL to tighten up on the vetting of overseas owners IMO.

Yep. I DONT LIKE TO SAY I TOLD YOU SO..............but i said all this on the Man city forum before Toxins arrival.

Anyway, as he isnt an indicted criminal YET then there is nothing the FA can do about him......

Here's what eurosport say

Shinawatra has questioned the return on his multi-million pound investment in City and is thought to want Portugal coach and one-time England target Luiz Felipe Scolari to replace Eriksson.

City have spent £46 million in the transfer market to accumlate a mixture of success stories, like Vedran Corluka and Elano, and expensive failures such as Rolando Bianchi.

More funds for the closed season are in jeopardy, however, as Shinawatra's assets in Thailand are still frozen while he is being investigated over claims of corruption during his time in power.

Man City did the double over Man Utd.......

Considering the widespread support of Man Utd in Thailand, he probably p*ssed off a large segment of his supporters, after all football for him is only a means to an end.

Message to Sven - play to win, except against Man U & Liverpool.

" THE FA'S CRITERIA OF FIT AND PROPER PERSON" comes to mind - how the hel_l did he pass that test?

It always takes atleast 3 years for a football coach to settle down and make his team into a superpower team. Well Eriksson will stay and the news is just rubbish .

It has been a topic on BSkyB and 606 a lot recently.

I could be SGE's agent of course stirring the pot a little but it was said Thaksin gave no guarantee's in the meeting last Sunday

Thaksin would be a fool to let him go now unless he could guarantee a very big name coming and success next year which of course no-one can.

Scolari has been mentioned - he would need instant success and the crowd could turn against Thaksin very quickly and he would not be able to stand the personal abuse that would be hurled at him and his family.

It always takes atleast 3 years for a football coach to settle down and make his team into a superpower team. Well Eriksson will stay and the news is just rubbish .

Sorry, but I think he's a deadman walking, and even if Toxin reverses his decision SGE will probably have a very limited time to get results at the beginning of the season.

In England these days coaches just don't get three years, irrespective of it being the EPL or League 2.

"THAKSIN SHINAWATRA is facing a player mutiny after refusing to reverse his decision to sack Sven Goran Eriksson.........................

Rest of the article here http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport...icle1105988.ece

Toxin has bullied and bulled his way around for many years. Thais have been happy to bend over and take it up the ass from the "great leader", but he's going to find British and European footballers a little bit different, and he hasn't yet faced a hostile football crowd. Honeymoon over, and more importantly his credabi;lity i s probably zero in Manchester. Likeable old Frank is no more, the English football fan is not a forgiving beast when it feels that it's club is being screwed around.