An Internet Price War?

george

An Internet price war?

BANGKOK: -- TT&T Subscriber Services has launched a new broadband-Internet package, offering a minimum speed of 2 megabits per second for Bt590 a month.

The company also plans to double its subscriber numbers to more than 600,000 this year.

President Prachuab Tantinon yesterday said the package was expected to help boost company revenue from Bt2 billion last year to Bt3 billion this year.

Earlier, its customers paid the same monthly fee of Bt590 but received a speed of only 1mps.

The new package covers all provinces and some areas of Bangkok. TT&T Subscriber is a subsidiary of TT&T, which operates fixed-line telephone services upcountry but not in Bangkok.

True is the country's largest broadband-Internet provider, with more than 600,000 subscribers. Last month, it launched a new broadband-Internet package, featuring a speed of 2mps for Bt890 a month. Subscribers to the package are also entitled to connect to the Internet wirelessly free of charge in areas covered by True's wireless-Internet network.

TT&T Subscriber will spend Bt50 million to market its new package.

Separately, Prachuab said he hoped the National Telecom-munications Commission (NTC) would soon grant licences to operate WiMax technology for offering wireless broadband-Internet connection services.

The NTC is expected to grant the licences this year.

-- The Nation 2008-06-10

An Internet price war?

BANGKOK: -- TT&T Subscriber Services has launched a new broadband-Internet package, offering a minimum speed of 2 megabits per second for Bt590 a month.

Yeah sure... You wonder why they bother writing these press releases.

Guest Reimar
offering a minimum speed of 2 megabits per second

Hard to believe they mean minimum! May a failure in translation? Maximum maybe to near to minimum?! :o

But let see, will call tomorrow and see what they say! :D

Cheers.

It is obviously an error !

On my "contract" sheet, it is clearly mentioned "maximum speed 1mbps", which is correct !

How in hel_l can you ascertain a minimum speed ?

You'd have to generate some trafic at the DSLAM to compensate when the subscriber-generated trafic is lower ?

Edited by MengWan

What a joke. It'll be 2MB domestic and 20K international. I wish someone would go on a shotgun rampage among various ISP offices. I think my ISP has only got one port left that it could possibly close.

Lets hope that any Internet Price War not only lowers the cost of Internet access but also increases the quality of service and support!

(Although saying that, the few times i've had to contact True, their customer support has been excellent)

If any of them delivered what they promised and advertised, there would be no need to have any price wars. I paid a high price for Shitstar from both Loxinfo and TOT. I paid for really bad service for four years and they simply didn't care. I am now using GPRS EDGE and that service is better than what I had. Whenever you are dealing with monopolies, you can expect poor service.

offering a minimum speed of 2 megabits per second

Hard to believe they mean minimum! May a failure in translation? Maximum maybe to near to minimum?! :o

But let see, will call tomorrow and see what they say! :D

Cheers.

I think what they mean is that there minimum package is now 2 mps at 590 per month.

TT&T Subscriber is a subsidiary of TT&T

Isn't that supposed to be a subsidiary of TOT? :D

TT&T Subscriber Services Company Limited is a subsiduary of TT&T

I just got a statement from Maxnet, and they have doubled all their packages rated speeds for both download and upload, completely free of charge. I am on the basic Premier package of 1024/512 (now 2048/1024) which used to run at about 70% rated speed. Just done a speed test to San Francisco and it's running at 1719/484.

I for one am quite pleased, don't know why everyone is so intent on slagging them off. I switched from CAT 6 weeks ago and am now getting the same speeds that used to cost me 2,800 baht per month for 1,090.

Well done TT&T.

but which options do you have if your fixed line is by TOT/TRUE ?

My fixed line was installed by TT&T as part of my package, but the phone bills come from TOT, so I would imagine that they could use an existing TOT line.

They could, but they won't. According to the local TT&T office they used to, but have an agreement with TOT now not to step on each other' toes.

BTW, the moo baan in which I live is TOT territory. No one here can get TOT internet, though -- "No more ports". Somehow, my Misses persuaded TT&T to move our old number and Internet here. We're the only ones with a TT&T line and the only ones with Internet....

I really don't understand the relationship between TT&T and TOT. When I signed up I expected to get one bill for phone and internet, but I get a bill from TT&T for net, a bill from TOT for phone, and even a 3rd from CAT as I dialled 009 before an international number. It's a right bloody mess.

Originally TT&T was to be the service agent for upcountry landline telephone service. All of the infrastructure, from the copper wire to the switches to the billing equipment is owned by TOT. That's why your bill comes printed on TOT stock and can be paid at the TOT office. In the last few years that strict division has been blurred as TOT and TT&T have split up the territory. Originally all of the actual telephone installation was done by TOT crews. But, when I moved a while back the installation was done by a TT&T crew.

But, I remain confused as to the whys and wherefores of this odd arrangement. Perhaps someone who really knows will enlighten us?

Maybe now I understand why a crew from TT&T drived some new lines in my area, around Chiang Mai, one or two weeks ago... I asked a thai neighbour, and he told me nobody had asked for new lines/phones by here... Maybe they add some "tubes" (?..)

For my part I used the "56K" :o OK it's sometimes very low, but I don't want to pay for a crappy service with ADSL, whatever the company... IMHO, after reading here and there, I think it's a BIG LOTERIE... Some are happy, but too many complaints. There is no grant anyway...

Wait and see... Maybe better a next tomorrow!

Cheers

How about CSLoxinfo, any changes?

I contacted CSLoxinfo 2 days ago and they do have a promotion at the moment but they are a little "secretive" about it. It was announced at Commart and to some existing subscribers.

I have contacted one of the technicians about this and the reason they are "secretive" is the fact that not all telephone lines are suitable. Apparently one of the worst areas is Sukhumvit from the Chaiyapreuk central on Sukhumvit Soi 65. CSLoxinfo claim that the old TOT lines from this central make upgrading difficult. They also said that 2MB would be unrealistic from this central.

The technician is in daily contact with me at the moment to check the quality of the TOT line. He mentioned that if the TOT line wasn't good enough I could ask TRUE to put in a new line and I could still use CSLoxinfo on the TRUE line.

I have always liked the service from CSLoxinfo and am willing to pay a little more for this service. At the moment I am using 512Kb.

The promotion is:

1MB 599 Baht/month

2Mb 890 Baht/month

• 2 weeks later...

My fixed line was installed by TT&T as part of my package, but the phone bills come from TOT, so I would imagine that they could use an existing TOT line.

They could, but they won't. According to the local TT&T office they used to, but have an agreement with TOT now not to step on each other' toes.

BTW, the moo baan in which I live is TOT territory. No one here can get TOT internet, though -- "No more ports". Somehow, my Misses persuaded TT&T to move our old number and Internet here. We're the only ones with a TT&T line and the only ones with Internet....

I have TT&T maxnet and am moving house soon (2 doors down the road !).The new house already has a TOT phone line .

Can i not get TT&T in this new house on the existing TOT line ?

It was a pain when i first subscribed where i am now because they had no numbers (huge promotion but no numbers <deleted> ?) , but the engineer did bend over backwards to find me one in the end.They have quoted me 1007 baht to transfer everthing over to the new house , but it seems insane when there is a perfectly good phone line already there.

Edited by parryhandy

For anybody who is whining about why they don't get 2 MB speed on a 2 MB package - may I suggest you get a copy of your contract & READ THE FINE PRINT.

All will become clear.

If you get 1/10 of that spped count yourself fortunate.

I have TT&T maxnet and am moving house soon (2 doors down the road !).The new house already has a TOT phone line .

Can i not get TT&T in this new house on the existing TOT line ?

It was a pain when i first subscribed where i am now because they had no numbers (huge promotion but no numbers <deleted> ?) , but the engineer did bend over backwards to find me one in the end.They have quoted me 1007 baht to transfer everthing over to the new house , but it seems insane when there is a perfectly good phone line already there.

I would keep the TT&T line..

TT&T maxnet premier is hands down better than the goldstar from TOT..

Think of all the hassle.. Cancelling your internet and line.. losing your number.. signing up again.. Maybe problems and multiple visits, maybe they blame the house wires etc.. For 1000 baht you simply string the cable 2 doors down and dont have a problem..