New Atm Withdrawal Fee At Siam

This past weekend, I withdrew some money from a Siam Commercial bank using my US ATM card and saw that, for the 1st time, there was a fee of 20 baht. Apparently they just started charging the fee as of June 13th.

Are all the other banks charging a fee for withdrawing cash using USA ATM cards or are there some banks that still don't?

The USA banks that issue my ATM cards reimburse me for any fees other than the foreign exchange fee but Visa never reports the fees as a separate transaction so I have to call my bank to get the fee credited back. At $.60 a transaction, it will be a bit of a pain in the A$$. I would prefer using the ATM from a bank that still doesn't charge a fee. Btw, as a rule, I only withdraw cash from ATM machines that are in or next to a bank.

As far as I know, most ATM transactions (withdrawals) at Thai banks (that you don't have an account with) charge you 20 Baht for the service.

Well apparently Siam hasn't since I began using their ATMs 2 years ago.

It is also my understanding at least with Siam, if you have an account with them and do an ATM withdrawal from either another branch within the city or another city altogether, they will also charge a small fee.

As I mentioned, it is just a nuisance as I do get reimbursed but have to call to request it.

I have an account with Siam com Bank branch located in Udon Thani. However, I am now living in Nongkhai, for each atm withdrawal in Nongkhai SCB atms they charged a fee of bht 30 regardless of withdrawal amount. Reason being not in the same province. :o

I have an account with Siam com Bank branch located in Udon Thani. However, I am now living in Nongkhai, for each atm withdrawal in Nongkhai SCB atms they charged a fee of bht 30 regardless of withdrawal amount. Reason being not in the same province. :D

I guess, it's not that bad if you withdraw 100,000 baht per transaction. :D:o

IMO this is a total rip off calculated to replace the funds handed out as loans to cronies who have no intention of repaying.

I thought the idea of ATMs was that it would reduce the number of counter staff to deal with customers, the resultant paper work generated by a transaction and consequently, smaller bank premises. All pluses for the bank to improve proposed profitability - and we, the customers have to pay for it! I was taken aback when paying in 50K into my wife's account at Thai Farmers branch in Lomsak. Since she became a customer at the Pattaya Tai branch they wanted 20 baht to effect the credit. I picked up the dosh, walked out, and paid in the following day in Pattaya, free of any gouging fee.

I do not see why I should have to pay for an ATM card and an annual fee. Provided that I don't have to wait several millennium, I prefer to be attended to by a sassy young lady than a machine, even if the machine tends to be more efficient - and more intelligent? :o

If you do not intend to use an ATM card from a Thai bank outside the country, make sure you get one that can only be used internal to Thailand. There is a price difference and unless you specify otherwise, they will fob you off with the needless most expensive one.

I guess there is a missunderstanding here. the OP was talking about using his "US" - ATM-card to withdraw money. He was NOT using a local ATM card issued by SCB ( the headline is a bit confusing , when I first read it, I thought of SIAM CENTER or SIAM PARAGON rather than SCB. and there is another bank existing called SIAM CITY BANK (or similar) as well.

but back to topic, just today the same thing happened to me as well. withdrew money from SCB (Siam Commercial Bank), and for the first time in Thailand since I moved here 5 years ago, there was a fee of 20 baht. (thatof course in addition to the HUGE fee that my home bank already charges for each transaction in a foreign country, and from which the bank u withdraw money from in a foreign country certainly gets its fair share of commission.....

the rip-off thing is, they wont tell you about it until u have finished ur transaction.

I remember there was a fee for withdrawals in other Asian countries (i am pretty sure that was in 2007 in Hanoi, Vietnam), but then that ATM gave u information about the fee BEFORE u completed the transaction, so in case you didnt like it, u could still cancel it.

but SCB obviously does it the Thai way..... stabbing from behind :o

the only thing that can be done, is, all people using foreign ATM-Cards or credit cards should avoid SCB from now on.

so they feel some kind of pressure..... thats all we can do.

and hope that the other banks wont follow.....

Edited by THAILIBAN

the only thing that can be done, is, all people using foreign ATM-Cards or credit cards should avoid SCB from now on.

Are you implying that there are other banks that will not charge a fee for using a foreign (USA) ATM card?

If yes, can you share the names.

I have only used SCB to do my ATM cash withdrawals, can I assume I will get the same exchange rate from any Thai bank with ATM machines?

I'm not sure if that will produce any pressure on SBC since I don't know what they make on a withdrawal using a foreign ATM card.

Edited by vagabond48

same here

I used my foreign (not US) ATM card (no fee from the foreign bank) with SCB today, and the slip says "fee 20 B". I have never seen this before, and no other bank has ever charged this fee. It remains to be seen whether they actually charge this fee or whether this is just automatically printed on slips for all non-SCB withdrawals (as there has always been this fee for withdrawals with Thai ATM cards of other banks).

I am going to scrutinize my next bank statement...

same here

I used my foreign (not US) ATM card (no fee from the foreign bank) with SCB today, and the slip says "fee 20 B". I have never seen this before, and no other bank has ever charged this fee. It remains to be seen whether they actually charge this fee or whether this is just automatically printed on slips for all non-SCB withdrawals (as there has always been this fee for withdrawals with Thai ATM cards of other banks).

the fee is added to the amount.

in my case, I withdrew just 5.000 Baht, and then I got a message on the screen that the final amount of the transaction is 5.020 Baht. so this means, the bank in your homecountry will charge you 5.020 baht plus their usual fee for that, in my case, thats a horryfying 4,95 Euro.

and yes, NO other thai bank did that before.

therefore, I just can repeat what I said earlier: Avoid SCB in the future.....

Are you implying that there are other banks that will not charge a fee for using a foreign (USA) ATM card?

I have only used SCB to do my ATM cash withdrawals, can I assume I will get the same exchange rate from any Thai bank with ATM machines?

I'm not sure if that will produce any pressure on SBC since I don't know what they make on a withdrawal using a foreign ATM card.

After much checking around, The only bank I could find that does not charge a "foreign Exchange charge" or any ATM withdrawel fees (if you have their Senior account - 50+) is BANK OF INTERNET, based in San Diego Calif. They also refund any charges from the bank which owns the ATM machine. Their statements clearly shows the amount credited back for service charges. I transfer money from my Washington Mutual account to the BOI account before each trip to Thailand (I'm in Los Angeles). I also requested an ATM only card (not a VISA/MC) so that if stolen or lost, its useless without a PIN. They only negative is they have a $300 a day withdrawel limit, so you have to plan ahead if you need some big cash on a particular day...

Edited by Cameron38

same here

Not true. SCB is a POOL member bank and does not charge for the first 3 or 4 uses of another member bank card (almost all Thai banks) in each month (if in same area). And the charge is only 3 baht in any case (at least in Bangkok).

After much checking around, The only bank I could find that does not charge a "foreign Exchange charge" or any ATM withdrawel fees (if you have their Senior account - 50+) is BANK OF INTERNET, based in San Diego Calif. They also refund any charges from the bank which owns the ATM machine. Their statements clearly shows the amount credited back for service charges. I transfer money from my Washington Mutual account to the BOI account before each trip to Thailand (I'm in Los Angeles). I also requested an ATM only card (not a VISA/MC) so that if stolen or lost, its useless without a PIN. They only negative is they have a $300 a day withdrawel limit, so you have to plan ahead if you need some big cash on a particular day...

I have that card and they do reimburse "all" fees but it is limited to $8 per month. The system stopped working properly at the beginning of the year. When I brought this to their attention, their president told me the card was not intended to be used primarily abroad and that they were canceling both of my accounts which I had for over 4 years The combined cards saved me $18 a month I was able to convince him that closing both account would cause undue financial hardship as I was using their bill pay system. I believe seeing a possible lawsuit (IMO) he allowed me to keep 1. That lost $120 a year reimbursement was a nice benefit. :o

They do put it on the screen when you put in the amount you wish to withdraw from your US Bank ATM that there will be a 20 baht charge. It is small, but it is there.

Compared to the $18 my US bank charges for a 20k baht withdrawl, I am not real worried. It is a drag that after some 10 years of using US ATM cards, Thai banks are, at least SCB anyway, charging for withdrawls.

Still have not heard if Bangkok Bank or others are doing the same.

TH

From the replies I read here regarding US and possibly other foreign ATM cards, I am surprised by those of you still paying banks fees. I have 3 ATM cards. 2 of them (Fidelity and Schwab) reimburses all international banking fees except the 1% foreign exchange fee. The 3rd limits me to $8 per month but includes foreign exchange fee. I was in Cambodia and Vietnam for 40 days and withdrew cash from NZ bank. They charge a flat $2 US or equivalent foreign currency. It was nice getting back about $20 US. Instead of withdrawing a large amount of cash each time to limit the number of fees I would be charged, I can withdraws smaller amounts as I need because my fees are reimbursed. This way (1) I don't have to hold a lot of extra cash and (2) I am not left with extra cash that I have to exchange when leaving a country.

As far as I know, most ATM transactions (withdrawals) at Thai banks (that you don't have an account with) charge you 20 Baht for the service.

This was not true up until this week! I have a UK Nationwide Visa Debit card and could use any bank here with no charges, however yesterday I withdrew some cash using a Siam Bank ATM in Tesco and was told at the end of the transaction I had been charged 20baht! this is the first time ever in three years. Today I went to the Bangkok Bank ATM also in Tesco and withdrew some cash using my Nationwide Card and their was no charge therefore it would appear to be a Siam Bank only charge so I have stopped using them. Incidently I have always been charged for using my Bangkok Bank Card to withdraw cash from other banks atm's !!

I previously asked the question above but it may have been overlooked.

Does someone know the answer?

Thanks

Quick update. Just took 20k baht out at a SCB machine with US ATM Card (Visa) . The 20 baht charge that was charged on withdrawl 2 days ago was not done this time.

Maybe they changed their minds....

TH

Unless you took out a similar large amount, perhaps, they don't charge the 20 baht if you withdraw a tidy sum.

For as I mentioned, it's just a nuisance as I will get the fee reimbursed. Next time I take out my measly 1k to 2k, I'll report back. Won't be for awhile I'm riding my bicycle to Mae Sai tomorrow.

No, 20k baht each time. Will probably get 20k more tomorrow for the weekend, so will be sure to use an SCB machine and see it the charge is there.

You will go to your bank to get a 60 cents charge refunded to you? Wow, I am speechless....

TH

No, 20k baht each time. Will probably get 20k more tomorrow for the weekend, so will be sure to use an SCB machine and see it the charge is there.

You will go to your bank to get a 60 cents charge refunded to you? Wow, I am speechless....

TH

You had no smiley so I don't know if you're being sarcastic. Actually, I'll call them once a month. I just have to tell them how much, and they just reimburse me. Now let's see, was it .60 per trans or $6. I just don't remember and don't have the receipts. So that's 10 trans @ $6 per. Hey that's $60 back. :o Wait a minute, that's dishonest. There goes my conscience (no angel smiley) again interfering with the golden goose.

"Actually" saved $20 in reimbursed fees on my last 40 day trip to Cambodia and Vietnam.

You sound like you may not be American. I think I read a while back that there are some European banks that offer similar deals.

20k for the weekend. Wow, (my turn) I am very lucky if I spend 20k for the month.

In six years of doing business with SCB, I have never escaped a fee when I have transferred money to another province or used my Hip Card at a non-SCB ATM machine.

I am surprised that people escape fees when they use ATM cards from other banks overseas. Makes no sense to charge fees for ATM withdrawals from other banks in the same city or transfers to other provinces within SCB and not charge for overseas transactions at another bank.

i have a US ATM card issued by IndyMac Bank in Los Angeles which does not charge any fees whatsoever for foreign withdrawals - i have made 2 withdrawals in the last two weeks each for 15,000 baht - one was at Bangkok Bank and one was at Kasicorn - both were done without any fee from the Thai Banks so maybe this is just for SCB

Quick update. Just took 20k baht out at a SCB machine with US ATM Card (Visa) . The 20 baht charge that was charged on withdrawl 2 days ago was not done this time.

Maybe they changed their minds....

TH

maybe because they monitor ThaiVisa :o

This was not true up until this week! I have a UK Nationwide Visa Debit card and could use any bank here with no charges, however yesterday I withdrew some cash using a Siam Bank ATM in Tesco and was told at the end of the transaction I had been charged 20baht! this is the first time ever in three years. Today I went to the Bangkok Bank ATM also in Tesco and withdrew some cash using my Nationwide Card and their was no charge therefore it would appear to be a Siam Bank only charge so I have stopped using them. Incidently I have always been charged for using my Bangkok Bank Card to withdraw cash from other banks atm's !!

Only if you are using the BBL card from an out of area location. There is no charge for using ATM POOL bank cards in other member bank ATM's in the same location up to a 3 or 4 time limit per month. I used my BBL card in a BAY ATM today with no charge (twice). The last time I was charged for other ATM use was about a year ago and it amounted to 3 baht.

Only if you are using the BBL card from an out of area location. There is no charge for using ATM POOL bank cards in other member bank ATM's in the same location up to a 3 or 4 time limit per month.

I have a Bangkok Bank Visa Card, my branch is in Pattaya and EVERY time I withdraw cash using SCB I am charged 20 baht fee. So.... does that mean that BB is not a member of the pool? that would be strange.

Both BBL and SCB are members and I routinely use both ATM's with my BBL card with no charge. But if either ATM is out of area there will be the large (20 baht?) fee. But as my account is in Bangkok there is no fee at any ATM of pool members located in Bangkok. All the major banks are members.

Or are you saying that withdrawal is "credit" rather than directly from your ATM account?