One Million Chickens, More Than 100 Tigers Killed

george

Over one million chickens and more than 100 tigers killed

BANGKOK: -- The Thai government has killed more than 1.5 million chickens and 147 tigers during last month’s operation to wipe out the bird flu virus.

The destroyed fowls were mainly in farms and villages in the country's central and lower northern regions of the country, where most cases of bird flu both in poultry and human have been found since the virus re-emerged in the country in July.

The government also destroyed 147 tigers at Sri Racha Tiger Zoo where several tigers died from bird flu after being fed raw chicken.

In the national centre fighting bird flu outbreak’s latest report cited the lack of awareness and protective equipment in the rural villagers, and insufficient numbers of officials to monitor the villages, as the main obstacles to effectively preventing the spread of the disease.

The centre suggested that the government focus on increasing the villagers’ awareness of the disease.

The government should also speed up the payment of compensation to the farmers whose fowls had been culled to help prevent the spread of the disease, according to the centre.

Previously, Deputy Public Health Minister, Suchai Charoenrattanachai, dismissed fears of human-to-human transmission of bird flu virus in Thailand.

The government-appointed team responsible for the elimination of the disease said that there were two cases of suspected human-to-human transmission in the country's northern province of Kampaengphet, but laboratory tests could not be carried out on the bodies, as they had already been cremated.

Dr. Suchai said there was no medical evidence to show that the bird flu virus could be transmitted from human-to-human.

--TNA 2004-11-03

Of course the deaths of such a high number of chickens is bad too but the deaths of nearly 150 tigers is really tragic ! How many tigers are left in the world anyway ?

I wonder if anyone will be held accountable for this !

Sad !

Jem

I heard they were all from the sri racha zoo. I went there in Feb. I didnt realise there was that many tigers there!!!! Are there any left. The GF told me some crocodiles have bit the dust too.

1.5 million chickens... 147 Tigers.... How many crocs???