Buying A Dvd Player.........

Big Al

I would like to buy a DVD Player in Pattaya or Bangkok....I am trying to find the price of one, just for hooking up to the tv and playing movies while I am there...

Sure would appreciate it ....if someone bought one over there and recalled what they paid for it.......I will end up giveing it to some b.g. when I leave.....

I bought a Pioneer DVD player for 4000 baht recently.

There are unknown brand names for less.

Most machines here will play all "regions", technically Thailand is Region 3.

The better ones will play DVD-R or CD R discs, ie home recorded discs.

Probably not a concern for you as you will buy discs in the local market.

Check around the electronic stores in you local area. There is no special benefit in going to Bangkok.

Looking at the latest flyer from Carrefour they have a DVD,SVCD and Mp3 player for 1640 baht ....make ive never heard of Metro and a VCD,CD and Mp3 player at 1490 baht............if you are going to leave it behind one of these are probably all you/ll need. Oh also noticed if you are strapped for cash you can get easy terms 82 baht down and 4 monthly payments of 405 baht...... :o

Looking  at  the  latest  flyer  from  Carrefour  they  have  a  DVD,SVCD  and  Mp3  player  for  1640  baht  ....make  ive  never  heard  of  Metro  and  a  VCD,CD  and  Mp3  player  at  1490  baht............if  you  are  going  to  leave  it  behind  one  of  these  are  probably  all  you/ll  need. Oh  also  noticed  if  you  are  strapped  for  cash  you  can  get  easy  terms  82 baht  down  and  4  payments  of  405  baht...... :o

Caveat emptor!

My neighbour bought a "no-brand" DVD player from Tesco Lotus... the first one he bought had an inadjustable minimum volume loud enough to cause spontaneous miscarriage among the pregnant bitches running around down the soi. In this case bitch=female canine.

He was not entirely happy with this, not unlike said bitches and myself, so he went back to Tesco Lotus to change the DVD player into a model that did allow for volume adjustment within a more reasonable range.

He ended up with a player with Thai-language only menus. Also, it cannot store settings if he turns off the power.

Buy a cheapie at your own risk. Personally, I would pay 4000 baht in order to get a brand name player with a warranty.

I agree, be cautious of the cheapest dvd players. Japanese hardware is alot more reliable than Chinese . Bought a Missile player(Chinese I think ) for under 2000 baht from a well known store with a french sounding name, and have had problems with it ever since. Mostly freezing frequently while watching a movie..vcd and dvd. Have to get up and give it a slightly hard thump to unfreeze constantly. Oh well, I splashed out and got a Playstation 2, which plays all formats fine...and gives your thumb a good workout as well :o

Agree about Carefour in Pattaya, def the best prices even if not the greatest selection.

As for DVD´s costing 35 quid true but now you can also get a multi region DVD player for 29.99 to from Amazon, cant believe they´ve got so cheap everywhere.

I always thought DVD´s where cheap in Thailand at 130 baht but since ive been in Peru can pick them up (great quality copys) for 80 baht maybe i was paying to much in Thailand?

I always thought DVD´s where cheap in Thailand at 130 baht but since ive been in Peru can pick them up (great quality copys) for 80 baht maybe i was paying to much in Thailand?

You don't have to go to Peru.

DVD's are around 70-80 baht in Vietnam!

6 Ringit (about 68 Bt) in Malaysia ......

These prices just give an idea for the cost of manufacturing, Cover printing and distribution of the DVD. Of course movie production is not considered in this calculation.

On the other hand it could well be that a general lower price for (licensed) DVDs would bring higher benefits for the producers, as more sold DVDs would contribute to the production costs .....

Sunny

Buy Soken brand which plays everything on dvd and mp3, vcds, etc. You can get a good one for about 3000 baht and maybe less if there is a sale and you can live with last year's model.

The trouble with those brands is

What do you do when your Soken is Broken?

Is amazing that you can now buy a dvd player for 35 quid,it would cost you that to buy a new dvd movie in the uk.Brought mine from carrefour about B2500 Aconatic.

DvD player in Richer Sounds England 25 quid with a years warenty, Thailand is not always cheaper, I get sick of only being able to look at the top models of phones mp3 players, why don't Thai stores offer a range of cheaper options, I only want to take a few snaps, I don't want to spend 10000bt minimum on a camera, I know I can buy a reasonable digital camera for 50 quid in Blighty

And you are mad if you pay more than 10 pounds for a new dvd movie, stop exagerating, you are only deluding yourself

Buy Soken brand which plays everything on dvd and mp3, vcds, etc. You can get a good one for about 3000 baht and maybe less if there is a sale and you can live with last year's model.

The trouble with those brands is

What do you do when your Soken is Broken?

No Sorney repair service either

Agree about Carefour in Pattaya, def the best prices even if not the greatest selection.

As for DVD´s costing 35 quid true but now you can also get a multi region DVD player for 29.99 to from Amazon, cant believe they´ve got so cheap everywhere.

What are you talking about, DVDs have never ever been priced at 35quid are you mad? possibly a special limited director cut jerkfest box set, but please, get real, are you even welsh or called chris?

What are you talking about, DVDs have never ever been priced at 35quid are you mad? possibly a special limited director cut jerkfest box set, but please, get real, are you even welsh or called chris?

OI! Calm down....... :o

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Has anyone tried any of the following DVD players?

Big C:

Soken NE-145

Soken DVD-A75

Lotus:

Sony DVP-NS575P

Lastly, LG V-782W - this one is a DVD/VCR combo that handles NTSC VHS. The Thai only documentation and labelling does not promise DVD+R / DVD+RW capabilityk which would be nice.

Any suggestions?

I see a Samsung, I think, at other stores, available via a catalog. I wonder if it's any good.

The VCR part really interests me, since that is what I started out looking for. No one records TV here! :o

Thanks,

Upcountry

I would like to buy a DVD Player in Pattaya or Bangkok....I am trying to find the price of one, just for hooking up to the tv and playing movies  while I am there...

Sure would appreciate it ....if someone bought one over there and recalled what they paid for it.......I will end up giveing it to some b.g. when I leave.....

I bought a JVC last year, wife hooked up the jack leads and managed to blow some component which caused it to lose colour. Took it to warrenty repair shop in Naklua, FIVE months later, got it back,still working ok now, 3 months later, anyway if you are buying new i would go for 2-3000 baht.