Gay Bars And Saunas In Los....

ChrisP

Hi..

For those looking for Gay Go-Go Bars and/or Sauna's.. this post will serve to collect your contributions.. .

Please feel free to contribute, and I will create a Pinned List at the top of the Forum.. no specific ratings, just brief comments from Members

:o

Cheers!

ChrisP

Um... ok... let's start with the obvious:

TELEPHONE

Category: Pub/Restaurant

Location: On Silom Soi 4, pass the annoying "cool" trendy straight discos about halfway to the deadend of the Soi, on the left side going in

Hours: Whatever the current crack(pot)downs permit (I think it's now until 1am?)

Includes: Bar, booth seating indoors, tables outside in front, restaurant and bar upstairs. Indoors is air-con.

Quality/Price: Drinks are typical farang-pub quality, with premium brands available on request. House cocktails pretty reasonably priced. Restaurant upstairs is farang-priced but above average quality.

Atmosphere: Dark, smokey. Can get a bit crowded-feeling on busy nights, but you can escape to the tables upstairs in the restaurant. Music lately has been dance-pop, usually played a bit too loud. On most occasions, I've found the place relaxed and low-key, though it has had occasional fits of queeniness and camp.

Staff: Tend to be mid-twenties gay Thai guys of various types from butch to queeny- more of the former. Dress is a typical professional waiter uniform. They are generally friendly and efficient. It is a prerequisite for them to be functional enough in English to wait tables; some are more fluent than others. They can be quite chatty and funny, and are not at all averse to good-natured flirting. Turnover is surprising low.

History: Not sure how long it's been there, but a number of years now- there have been a couple of management changes, but the basic style of the bar's stayed the same. The name of the bar comes from numbered telephones (many of which are still hung or placed by the different seats and tables) which were supposed to be used to ring someone you were too shy to go over and make a pass at. I've never seen anyone try to take advantage of this equipment.

General Comments: This is one of the few "real" gay bars in Bangkok that are accessible to foreigners, in the sense of a bar where singl-ish guys come to drink, meet, and pick up other guys out of interest. The Thai customers tend to be an unpredictable mix of uni students, workers, and the unavoidable freelancers; a little conversation can help you decide what type you're talking to. The foreign clientele are local expats and teachers, as well as a liberal dose of tourists depending on the season. Note that by being in such a bar, a Thai is almost certainly interested in foreigners (or, occasionally, their money)- there are plenty of cheaper places for Thais to meet each other. This is not necessarily the case in all gay establishments in Bangkok.

"Steven"

BALCONY

Category: Pub/Restaurant/Karaoke

Location: On Silom Soi 4, pass the annoying "cool" trendy straight discos about halfway to the deadend of the Soi, on the right side going in, across from Telephone as above

Hours: Whatever the current crack(pot)downs permit (I think it's now until 1am?)

Includes: Bar, booth seating indoors, tables outside in front, restaurant and bar, karaoke machine and internet access upstairs. Most of the restaurant is open-air and fan-cooled. There is an additional section of seating situated, bizarrely, on the other side of the street two bars down from Telephone.

Quality/Price: Drinks are typical farang-pub quality, with premium brands available on request. House cocktails pretty reasonably priced, and a happy hour most evenings. Restaurant food is adequate, with some nice pub-grub available.

Atmosphere: Busy, upbeat. Can get a bit crowded on busy nights, especially during events. Music lately has been dance-pop. Tends to attract a slightly younger and more energetic crowd than Telephone.

Staff: Tend to be early-twenties gay Thai guys specializing in a cute, boyish look. Dress is T-shirts with staff names and short pants. They are generally friendly and efficient, and certainly not shy. It is a prerequisite for them to be functional enough in English to wait tables; some are more fluent than others. They can be quite chatty and funny, and are not at all averse to good-natured flirting. They can be rather queeny and campy, and if things are not too busy may spend time joking and flirting with each other out in front of the restaurant (sometimes the Telephone waiters also join in the fun). Though waiters in general seem to be having more fun in Balcony than in Telephone, turnover there can be a little high.

History: There is some scuttlebutt about that I've never heard the full story on, about how Balcony started as a breakaway from Telephone after some sort of business dispute between the original owners of Telephone. Anyway, they moved across the street, and there they are.

General Comments: This is one of the few "real" gay bars in Bangkok that are accessible to foreigners, in the sense of a bar where singl-ish guys come to drink, meet, and pick up other guys out of interest. The Thai customers tend to be an unpredictable mix of uni students, workers, and the unavoidable freelancers; a little conversation can help you decide what type you're talking to. I would say that there are *more* freelancers in Balcony than in Telephone, typically, and they can be more aggressive if they think you are alone- though I believe they are discouraged from taking the initiative with customers, so if you don't want attention from them, simply don't invite them to your table. If such things matter to you, be a bit more selective whom you meet in Balcony. The foreign clientele are local expats and teachers, as well as a liberal dose of tourists depending on the season. For some reason, I've found that expats are more likely to talk with me in Balcony than in Telephone- for better or for worse. Note that by being in such a bar, a Thai is almost certainly interested in foreigners (or, occasionally, their money)- there are plenty of cheaper places for Thais to meet each other. This is not necessarily the case in all gay establishments in Bangkok.

One really nice thing about Balcony is the events it frequently puts on: Gay Pride week, Valentine's events, Rainy Season Raffles, and various different entertainment programs featuring its own staff as well as some outside hired musicians, dancers, et al. The place can be very crowded on such nights, so get your seats early.

A Tip About Tips: In many establishments around Bangkok, including Telephone and Balcony, putting the tip money in the bill folder means the tip goes to a central kitty that gets equally shared. If you really want a particular waiter to get the tip, put it in his hand outside the folder (you don't have to flash it around, I usually sneak it into his hand under the folder as I'm handing it back to him).

Chiang Mai - Sauna

House of Male

Haven't been there since my b/f and I met there over a year ago, but my tuk-tuk driver says nothing's changed. Can't compare to Sparoma since I've never been there. House of Male is near Central Kad Kaew on a back soi, outdoor pool, drinks and restaurant, a maze, weight room, lockers, and a very hot steam steam room. About 130 baht two years ago.

As for go-go bars and cabaret shows, it's a little spotty. Adam's Apple is reportedly open for shows again (almost as good as in BKK). Some bars are very poorly managed; you can't figure out how to get what you want. Then there's the Night Bazaar and the similar bars down the soi at Peak. What kind of details are we posting here? Some of the go-go bars are obvious in what they're about, while the poorly managed ones are puzzling. The free-lancers are still at Night Bazaar and Peak (the soi behind Burger King). Names of the ones outside the Night Bazaar area include Doi Boy, Fan Club (avoid, IMHO), New My Way, and a few new ones.

Edited by PeaceBlondie

I wonder if this is 're-inventing the wheel' as there are several sites with listings of gay venues and with comments. Not that any of them are up to date or comprehensive.

I favour Dreadedned.com which is quite up to date and very user friendly. Entries are listed under type, hotels & guesthouses, bars and pubs, cabaret, disco,

karaoke, restaurants, saunas, go-go bars, host bars, sauna/massage, hairdressers, retail shops and

travel services Thaiboy.net has a listing of 400 gay spots with a plce to post comments on each. Dragoncastle.net also has good listings and general info. There must be many more. It would be great if someone was able to produce and accurate map.

I estimate that there must be in excess of 600 gay and gay friendly/of interest estabishments in Thailand. Looks like a filing system will become necessary. Maybe it would work better if Chris invited members to list their current favourite bars.

One of the problems with describing a bar is that they change incessantly by the hour of the day, day of the week, festival, recruitment input, show producer, month and season etc.

Thanks guys.. I'll post this in the Pinned message asap... when I get an hour or two to myself!

WowPow, I know it's a daunting task.. and I'm not claiming it will be "comprehensive" but we should have a reference listing here on ThaiVisa.. and it's great to have members comments too. :o

ChrisP

Tawan Bar

2/2 Soi Thantawan (off Suriwong opposite Tawana Ramada) Phone: (0) 2234 - 5506

Open 8p.m. to 1 a.m. Drinks 200 baht Off fee 350 baht. Shows 10.30 p.m. and Midnight usually including 'special'.

This is the bar for lovers of Muscles. Around 50 to 60 boys at peak times and several National Champion Bodybuilders. There are some younger guys who are more athletic build. The boyz approach customers politely. No mandatory drink is a boy sits with you though a tip is expected.

The owner is gay and it is advertised a bar for men only but sometimes women come in. They used have to pay 300 baht for a drink and the boys pay them a lot of attention.

There is certainly an expectation of higher than average 'tips' when you off a Tawan guy. They work pretty hard to build their bodies and have gym fees and special diets and supplements which are expensive so I don't mind. I think 1200 up is OK but they hope for 1500 up.

boytawana.jpg

CHIANG MAI

2 Style Bar/Restaurant

(in large and busy soi off Ratchawichit Road - entrance to the soi is the same side as The Irish Pub and about 100 yards further on walking west, i.e. away from the moat). Look for the rainbow flag hanging outside.

Different kind of place from the moneyboy bars at the Night Market etc. More mixed and laid back - and no "offs" as such. Easy parking. Good food, friendly atmosphere and Thai prices for most of the drinks & all of the food. They could work on their music selection, though :o

Monty's Pool Bar & Cafe

Open daily 10am to 1am. Unique setup with large swimming pool, gym, steam and dry sauna, moderately priced drinks, Thai, Chinese and Western snacks menu. Run by ex-pat Australian, Monty, who will go out of his way to help newcomers.

A relaxing place with friendly staff. My favourite place in Pattaya to unwind before making a tour of the bars and go-gos.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost everyplace listed is "standard-fare" than can be seen/read about in most guidebooks and online.

Why you would even attempt to list gogo bars is mind boggling too ... (A) They change by season ... and (:o isn't that advocating something illegal? (but common?_)

Now to my choices ...

e-male Ram soi 24 (Behind Ram --- RU near the stadium)) It's a dive! I absolutely know I would never want to see this place in daylight! FUN crowd. If you don't speak some Thai then this is not a place to go alone. The shows are a riot! The owner is quite nice ... am not sure if she's there often but she was the last time I went. This is a college hangout with very very few farang. 7 out of 9 times I have been i was the only one there. 1 time I brought a friend and one time there were 2 prof's from ABAC there.

will write about the Ram 89/2 bars soon.

^have been there before a few times... once a rat scuttled across my feet (apparently coming from the rotten fruit in the little pillar-side shrine on the floor), and a pushy Chinese-Thai guy kept making drunk-aggressive passes at me- got stud-bumped once from a table because some hi-so Chinese types showed up from ABAC to drink their bottle and do their little bus-stop dances together [the "I'm too sexy for my cat..." song comes to mind].

The Ram clientele, however, *are* very sweet and welcoming, as are the lady-man managers. The place doesn't get very active until late, so don't show up until 10:30 or so.

"Steven"

It does seem that saunas and bars have become more and more "proper," with anything steamy driven further and further from view. The year or two of "see what the farang are doing to innocent Thailand" crusades with the newscameras certainly changed a lot of things.

If you do arrange these private events, you'd be well advised to keep them pretty private. Wouldn't want anyone with a grudge against gays sending the cops around to visit.

"Steven"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, the "dives" are the greatest places. Give more listings of them and locations. There is getting to be too many "proper" places. They're nice, but after a while that gets a little boring.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, the "dives" are the greatest places.  Give more listings of them and locations.  There is getting to be too many "proper" places.  They're nice, but after a while that gets a little boring.

Most of the places I go are pretty useless for the average farang ... little or no Eng spoken and not hustler bars :-) Just real gay bars that Thai's frequent :-)

Try the clubs in Ram 89/2 if this sounds like your style ... it's a blast

• 3 weeks later...

Okay guys, here are some in Chiang Mai.....

BARS

Adams Apple- Still the best in my opinion. Well controlled and best show.

New My Way- Boys are too aggresive and will ask you for drinks and sit without being invited. The manager does not control the boys.

Circle Pub- Good but a bit too formal.

TGB- Check your bill and your change carefully.

Fan Club- Be afraid, be very afraid.

Doi Boy- Run as fast as you can.

Free Guys- Not bad. Maybe a little inconsistent.

Coffee Boy- Not even worth the tuk tuk ride to get there.

Cream- The best of the night bazaar.

Jackpot- Friendly bar.

Chez Nous- Best of the Peak bars.

Friendship Bar- Don't care for the management.

SAUNAS

Spa Roma- The nicest and not that far out of the way as often reported.

House of Male- I think I keep going on 70 and up night by mistake.

MASSAGE

HIS- The best in town. I hear they opened a bar of the same name but I haven't cheaked it out yet.

Gemini- Major rip off.

Heard there is a new one near Hillside condo 4 but no details.

KARAOKE

RELAX- Fun and open late.

OOPS- Forgot the Garden Bar at the Lotus Hotel opposite Adam's Apple. Very friendly and comfortable place to meet other farang as well as Thai guys. The drinks are very reasonable and its very cruisy with the Adam crowd and the snooker hall next door.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

Just a few quick notes......

HIS is a male massage, not a sauna.

Other male massage in Chiang Mai are:

Ken's

Bee Beez

Barai

Climax

Gemini

Coffee Boy has been sold yet again to some Thai's from Phuket and it will finally change names. A wise move since the reputation is so bad.

Soho Bar on Huay Kaew is more like a Balcony or Telephone. Nice plave to relax and meet people. No hosts and no offs. They have game nights where you can meet lots of the locals.

A new Sauna called Naga has opened and is owned by the owner of Circle Pub. No personal experience to tell of yet. It across the highway from Big C.

The Garden Bar parties at the Lotus Hotel opposite Adamd Apple are set to resume in August. They are held the first saturday night of each month at 7:30. Good place to meet people. One free drink, snacks and door prizes plus one speaker or performer and usually a band or musician. Most people go up to Adam for the show afterwards.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Although a veteran of Phuket, I made my first visit to Pattaya this year. I made an effort to visit the three main areas: Boyztown, Sunee Plaza and Jomtien. The sheer number of venues made it impossible to visit every bar, but there’s always next time.

We all look for different qualities in a bar: the range of drinks, comfort of seating, volume of music, temperature, number and variety of staff, etc. Personally, value for money and the warmth of the welcome are top of my list.

It is for these reasons that I would like to add three Pattaya bars to your list of recommended venues.

TOP MAN. A cabaret and go-go bar. Unfortunately, I was unable to locate their web site address, but you can find them in Sunee Plaza.

PANORAMA. An open host bar in Boyztown. www.panoramapub.com/

LA CAGE. An open host bar in Sunee plaza. www.LaCage-Pattaya.com

• 5 months later...

HUA HIN

A little bit more subdued, due to certain nearby palaces. Therefore, no gogo bars, no boys in briefs, and you may have to ask for what you want.

CABARETS - about two shows every night; no cover/entrance charge, but drinks start at 150 or 200 baht. Off fee 200 to 300 baht.

Blue Angel - opened new in June, good stage & lighting, not quite up to Bangkok or Simon's Cabaret standards. About 4 male dancers in male clothes, and 4 to 7 katoeys in women's clothing. Very elaborate costumes. Straight clientele, but almost all the dancers are offable.

Doi Boy Cabaret: now eclipsed by Blue Angel. Narrow stage, poor sound system, decent costumes. Same management, some of same staff as Doi Boy gogo bar in Chiang Mai.

PUBS:

Guy Bar: quiet, boys not very agressive. Short time room upstairs; price negotiable for room. Massage available.

Faq-Thong: quiet, boys reasonable.

Red Indian: it's there, but no report yet.

:o RED INDIAN: small bar tucked away in small soi near Sofitel..road leading to main Hua Hin Beach, turn left before you get to beach market stalls...very subdued lighting and often loud CD's...only four tables and a bar...popular with a loyal clientiele of locals and some visitors...more of a meeting place without much pressure on anyone...is enclosed in wire, not the most aesthete of decor...some young lads are working but nothing chic or classy about the place at all...refreshing in that I see it as a place to have a drink, relax and you actually are able to chat, conversation that is... :D Dukkha

• 4 weeks later...

Bars in Chiang Mai

You have listed the following selection : Cream, Jackpot, Chez Nous & Friendship Bar. This is really a very small selection.

First they are listed as gogo bars which they are not! They are open air bars in two small bar centers in Thapae soi 1 behind the Night Bazaar building.

I miss in the bar center right behind the Night Bazaar building: the very busy and very friendly Cruise bar!

In the area of the Peak I miss the also very busy Cupid bar and many others.

Maybe an idea to update your list and/or correct it so people know what to expect where . . .

Edited by Sangsom