True Limiting Bt Transfers

Abandon

The official statement from True is that they've started limiting BT by prioritizing packets (in other words, giving BT packets really low priority) due to the fact that BT traffic has been taking up most of the available bandwidth. It supposedly affects comsumer, cafe, and SME packages. I can't say, since I stopped using BT a long time ago, but from the loud complaints from BT users in the Thai ADSL forums, this seems to be the case. I do use other P2P programs, and they don't seem to be affected.

I think that True has taken a step in the right direction, but has been a bit too heavy-handed since most people are reporting less than 10k speeds in BT. I wasn't affected that much by BT users since I use the cafe package, but all the home packages that I helped install were very slow and unstable. I've also seen many instances of people in the Thai ADSL forum where Thais would come bragging about how many tens of GB of stuff they were downloading through BT each day, which means they were pretty much saturating their link with BT traffic. ISPs in other countries do something similar, but maybe not so drastically. This is probably a case of a few very heavy users ruining everything for the whole. Hopefully, those heavy users will cancel their True packages, and everything can go back to normal.

I think that True does realize that this measure will make them lose some customers, but are willing to take the risk if the BT problem is that bad (and from what I've seen with home packages, it's BAD).

this is from (apparently) one of true's representitives:

เรียน ท่านสมาชิก Internet

ทางบริษัทฯ ทรูอินเตอร์เน็ท จำกัด ใคร่ขอขอบพระคุณท่านเป็นอย่างสูงที่ใช้บริการTrue Internet จากทางบริษัทฯ

ตามที่ท่านสมาชิกแจ้งมาเกี่ยวกับปัญหาการใช้งานโปรแกรม Bittorrent ว่าไม่สามารถใช้งานได้นั้น ทางบริษัทฯ ใคร่ขออนุญาตเรียนชี้แจงข้อมูลว่า ท่านยังสามารถใช้งานโปรแกรมเหล่านี้ได้อยู่ครับ แต่อาจจะช้า เนื่องจากโปรแกรมเหล่านี้มีการใช้ bandwidth สูง ทางบริษัทฯ จึงมีการกำหนด bandwidth ของโปรแกรมเหล่านี้ไว้ครับ เพื่อมิให้ส่งผลกระทบโดยรวมกับลูกค้าท่านอื่นๆ ครับ ท่านสมาชิกอาจจะต้องหลีกเลี่ยงการใช้โปรแกรมประเภท Bittorrent หรือ P2P เป็นต้นครับ ใช้งานในลักษณะ Download ตรง โดยไม่ผ่านโปรแกรมเหล่านี้ครับ ท่านสมาชิกจะสามารถใช้งานได้ปกติครับ สำหรับปัญหาที่ท่านสมาชิกแจ้งมานี้ทางเราจะส่งข้อมูลไปยังหน่วยงานที่เกี่ยวข้องเพื่อรับทราบปัญหาที่ส่งผลกระทบต่อการใช้งานของท่านสมาชิกแล้วครับ ทั้งนี้ทางบริษัทฯ ต้องขออภัยอย่างสูงที่ทำให้ท่านสมาชิกไม่ได้รับความสะดวก

หากท่านสมาชิกต้องการสอบถามข้อมูลเพิ่มเติมโดยตรงกับเจ้าหน้าที่สามารถติดต่อได้ที่ศูนย์บริการลูกค้า หมายเลขโทรศัพท์ 0-2900-9000 ได้ตลอด 24 ชั่วโมง

ขอบพระคุณที่ใช้บริการ True Internet

[email protected] By Pichet

A sia Infonet Co.,Ltd.

1 Fortune Town

14th Floor,Ratchadapisek Road,

DinDaeng,Bangkok 10320 Thailand.

It seems that some connections are already limited, and presumably the rest will be soon. So, what p2p to use now (what are you using firefox?). I know I will be moving from true asap, but that should hardly bother them as they don't want heavy users.

I am still not entirely convinced about this. I redialed today getting the 61.91.xx.xx ip and BT works fine again. Earlier I was getting the 61.90.xx.xx 3 times, and BT would not budge above 4 kbs.

I have used BT a lot, so I know all about ratios, seeders, leechers, and trying different sites - so that was not the problem.

I too dread going back to older methods.... The bugger is I am only here for 2 more months so I can't sign up to any other provider.

I am still not entirely convinced about this. I redialed today getting the 61.91.xx.xx ip and BT works fine again. Earlier I was getting the 61.90.xx.xx 3 times, and BT would not budge above 4 kbs.

I think you are onto something there Pandit. I tried to download thru BT when I was connected via 61.90.xx.xx - VERY slow.

Reconnected and got a 210.213.xx.xx IP Address and it is a fast as ever - coming in at 40 kbs plus right now - same torrent file.

Go figure?

I can understand why they are doing this. Downloading through BT, considering the many people on True that do it, really kills their bandwidth. Many universities in the States are using packet shapers now as well. You'd be surprised at how much of the traffic is due to downloading "stuff" through these programs.

So now the search is on for a new ADSL provider...

how

Yes How?

I am guessing that TRUE are applying the restriction to one server at a time, hence some IPs still function and others are sloooow. I doubted the reports too till it hit me. If you can read Thai the post I made earlier makes it clear that it is not just a random event of some servers being slow, but a deliberate machination of TRUE, and a stated policy of theirs.

Also I tried other non P2P downloads and they came at good speeds. Could be a case of "that was the summer that was".

I have found over the last three days, that my WinMx, download speeds has been limited to 2kps, and those up downloading no more than 4kps. Also the proxy is running dead slow. Some one must have done something, I only hope that it is not permanent?

I am not sure to understand what the discussion in this topic is all about... Bit Torrent is a peer-to-peer kind of network, right? My experience with P2P has been with Kazaa only, as I have used it in the past. But I am willing to learn more about BT. Would someone be kind enough to post a link to a site where some tutorial info could be find for BT? Then, I will perhaps understand the issue that you guys are discussing here and which sounds so interesting...

I am not sure to understand what the discussion in this topic is all about... Bit Torrent is a peer-to-peer kind of network, right? My experience with P2P has been with Kazaa only, as I have used it in the past. But I am willing to learn more about BT. Would someone be kind enough to post a link to a site where some tutorial info could be find for BT? Then, I will perhaps understand the issue that you guys are discussing here and which sounds so interesting...

A good starting point is

http://www.btsites.tk/

They have links to the BT program and also tutorials.

the 61.91.xx.xx server is not restricting p2p connections. The 61.90.xx.xx is.

I presume that the 61.91 server is next to be hit.

Does anyone know a way to change over to the 61.91 server? It is something to do with MAC addresses.

I had to reboot the PC after a crash this morning. I also rebooted my router as well.

Once everything was back running I started getting the fastest P2P speeds I have had during my 1 year with True. BT speeds were 250kilobytes/second!!! Before this morning the fastest I used to get was 150

As you've probably guessed my IP was 61.91

Shame it won't last long - I'll bet I'll be back on a 61.90 server soon :o

Luckily the work PC in the office is unaffected by all this limiting cr@p

A lot of people in the Thai ADSL forums are saying that their 24/7 use of BT with 80-90% bandwidth utilization never affected anyone else. Seems like it did, if Ian's getting faster speeds than usual. Others say that "everyone else" (ie people NOT using BT) has no need for any bandwidth, and so are not affected (this is the notion of "the world revolves around me"). Even others say they're entitled to the overuse of their bandwidth, and the rest be damned.

This, folks, is *not* the type of mindset that will help make Thai ISPs give better service at a fair price.

Morbius, the thing that makes BT so unappealing to ISPs is that it has the ability to utilize nearly all your bandwidth 24/7 (if you leave it on 24/7, which many people do). That's because it uses the principle of swarming... many (very many if it's popular) sources to download from and upload to. It doesn't matter if a few sources are slow, since there are a lot of them. This means that a typical consumer broadband connection, which is *supposed* to be utilized at around 10-20% on average, is instead utilized at 80-90% all the time. This leaves very little left for the non-bt users who don't have the luxury of multiple sources for web browsing, mail transfers, etc.

I really have no beef against the moderate use of BT to get things you actually need, but there are too many people abusing BT to get things that they'll never use (or use once, then forget). I'm hoping that this drastic move will make all these idiots cancel their True subscription... the network will be a better place without them.

Dude, I think what peoples are saying here is that True has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. I agree that 24/7 BTing has consequences on the network, but FACE IT, web browsing/HTTP is NOT the only use/protocol for the Internet... merely a subset of it.

In my view INTERNET = EDUCATION && ENTERTAINMENT

Entertainment INCLUDES video data! && MP3

Ok, sure, if you must True, limit my bandwidth saturation to 50/60% for BT....

BUT < 3%????????????????????? I'll be better off with a modem!!!!!!!

True can kiss my yellow hairy as5h0le!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of people in the Thai ADSL forums are saying that their 24/7 use of BT with 80-90% bandwidth utilization never affected anyone else.  Seems like it did, if Ian's getting faster speeds than usual.  Others say that "everyone else" (ie people NOT using BT) has no need for any bandwidth, and so are not affected (this is the notion of "the world revolves around me").  Even others say they're entitled to the overuse of their bandwidth, and the rest be damned.

This, folks, is *not* the type of mindset that will help make Thai ISPs give better service at a fair price.

Morbius, the thing that makes BT so unappealing to ISPs is that it has the ability to utilize nearly all your bandwidth 24/7 (if you leave it on 24/7, which many people do).  That's because it uses the principle of swarming... many (very many if it's popular) sources to download from and upload to.  It doesn't matter if a few sources are slow, since there are a lot of them.  This means that a typical consumer broadband connection, which is *supposed* to be utilized at around 10-20% on average, is instead utilized at 80-90% all the time.  This leaves very little left for the non-bt users who don't have the luxury of multiple sources for web browsing, mail transfers, etc.

I really have no beef against the moderate use of BT to get things you actually need, but there are too many people abusing BT to get things that they'll never use (or use once, then forget).  I'm hoping that this drastic move will make all these idiots cancel their True subscription... the network will be a better place without them.

I'm hoping that this drastic move will make all these idiots cancel their True subscription... the network will be a better place without them.

Seems you botth agree that P2P users shoud find another ISP :o

Does anybody know if other ISP with the same kind of prices as True allow a normal use of P2P networks ?

I'm hoping that this drastic move will make all these idiots cancel their True subscription... the network will be a better place without them.
Seems you botth agree that P2P users shoud find another ISP :o

Does anybody know if other ISP with the same kind of prices as True allow a normal use of P2P networks ?

Problem is right now if you have a TA line True is still the only affordable option. I'm not 100% on this but I believe you need TOT for CSLOX/Pacific, and KSC is over 3K/Baht pm... will look into it further.

More players coming into the market place soon... it's only a matter of time before we see a decent service.

Problem is right now if you have a TA line True is still the only affordable option. I'm not 100% on this but I believe you need TOT for CSLOX/Pacific, and KSC is over 3K/Baht pm... will look into it further.

I have a TA line and a TOT line, but not sure of the quality of CSLOX/Pacific...

i dunno why but somehor right now i am getting over 60 KB/s on the true 1024/512 kbps home package....

first time geting anything over 25 KB/s....

maybe true read the thread here and removed the block for PR sake....

The TRUE restrictions are not on every server. I presume that will change soon.

Loxinfo recently put out a new package that is similar in price to TRUE and I am told gives better speed than the TRUE home package. I doubt they are restricting p2p (yet). You will pay a bit extra on a TA line.

The restrictions are probably good news for those who do not download from p2p networks. But then again, how often do people DL large files that are not on p2p ?? I guess video news bulletins and internet phone will be improved. There is no point in such people moralising though, as they probably all buy pirate movies that are available on every street corner.

Personally I use BT just to get files that I could not buy here. But I also find that my many, perfectly legal and necessary transfers through skype to and from Japan and China are being restricted.

So what is the TRUE policy?? Unlimited download - so long you don't download very much......