Songkran

Snark

Songkran is now upon us. One hears little else in many quarters from the locals that does not involve plans for getting drunk for nearly an entire week. Kids have already been reported hurling buckets of water at passing motor vehicles. Something about the laws in all civilized countries in the world regarding the illegality of throwing anything at or from a moving vehicle escapes Thai's. Last year (or the year before) Thaksin managed to reduce the death toll during Songkran. He informed his lackeys that Songkran is only the 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th and deaths that happened outside of those dates was not Songkran related and will not be counted. Presently, by NGO reporting, the Songkran related festivities account for some 800-900+ deaths and 60-90,000 reported accidents with injury. I think, per capita, this makes Songkran the deadliest holiday in the world. Well worth giving a miss.

I personally resent the drunken water hurling orgy. During Songkran there are dozens of festivities well worth seeing or getting involved in. Essentially, the entirety of the traditional cultural Songkran. Virtually all of which is inaccessible unless you want to brave the deadly traffic and get thoroughly soaked by water of often questionable content.

Speaking of which, in order to facilitate hurling vast amounts of filthy water about, the Chiang Mai government has made certain all the canals around the city are full. They have installed some air injection areators to ostensibly clean the water and put up signs attesting to it's cleanliness. Now, one must keep in mind, when they drained those canals a couple of years ago to dredge them, they, the canals, kept filling up of their own accord. Since Chiang Mai has no sewage disposal system, it, in essence, floats on a sea of sewage. Thousands of septic tanks contributing for decades. It is interesting, and definitely displays the general intelligence of the city officials, that they think killing off a few anaerobes in that sewage soup gives it the official seal of approval and acceptable to be hurled with force into peoples faces. The added bonus, that the areators are inductive and therefore inject under some minor amount of pressure air into the water, they are also dissolving nitrogen into the water and making it poisonous for the fish.

As for those who espouse all the fun of Songkran and take umbrage at my posting, we need to keep in mind none of them have ever worked in an ambulance and had to treat patients, victims. There is work enough for the medic without little delights as child VS vehicle, and the ever so common Songkran special other than deaths, preventable injuries that often result in permanent disfigurement or disability which has become a virtual byword in Thailand as the result of idiotic childishness that the new, modern Songkran exemplifies.

Ever had a child die in your arms while people stand about you, laughing and throwing water at you both?

Kids have already been reported hurling buckets of water at passing motor vehicles. Something about the laws in all civilized countries in the world regarding the illegality of throwing anything at or from a moving vehicle escapes Thai's.

No doubt the standard Thai response to that would be something along the lines of you don't understand Thai culture. :o

I take it you won't be attending the piss-up then, Snark?

He probably won't but his Post cannot be discounted.

We have stocked up with Provisons until 14th when we will once again venture out

to the TV Piss Up, but today my Wife took her car down the village and she got a proper pasting, scared the sh#t out of her as she has not been driving long, could have easily lost control when a bucket of water lands on your windsceen when you are not expecting it, she could easily have careered off the road into a bunch of giggling kids! It aint no joke as the chuckers are indiscriminent as to who they soak. A car will do if they get bored of waiting for a pedestrian.

Yes I agree with the previous Poster that it is ingrained in Thai Culture, but when it comes to me and mine's life, then I am not taking any chances.

My 3 twenty something Sons are spending Sonkran in Pattya- do you think I am over the moon about that :o But they are old enough to make their own decisions and asses the risks. I on the other hand am much older and make my decisions based on what I know, not just on the precept of having fun, I had all that when I was younger. All I can pray for is they come out of it unscathed.

Ah it's that time of the year again for this post. :D

Personally, even after 10 years I still LOVE Songkran, and love the party. Sadly I will only have 1 and a half day of it as I'm flying home (only major holiday of the year).

But you bet I'll make the most of that 1.5 days!!! Will try to shoot some video this year as well.

If you don't like Songkran then all I can say is you really need a car... If you only own a motorbike then you're ass is toast every single day. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

Ah it's that time of the year again for this post. :D

Personally, even after 10 years I still LOVE Songkran, and love the party. Sadly I will only have 1 and a half day of it as I'm flying home (only major holiday of the year).

But you bet I'll make the most of that 1.5 days!!!  Will try to shoot some video this year as well.

If you don't like Songkran then all I can say is you really need a car... If you only own a motorbike then you're ass is toast every single day. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

:o:D

Call me a killjoy, but I think there's something wrong with the picture when I need to buy a car so I can do something as simple as go to the market over the course of the better part of a week without having buckets of microbe-infested canal water hurled at me on my motorbike. :o

Call me a killjoy, but I think there's something wrong with the picture when I need to buy a car so I can do something as simple as go to the market over the course of the better part of a week without having buckets of microbe-infested canal water hurled at me on my motorbike.  :D

Maybe you could think of it as 'heavy intermittent showers' :o

Anyway ovenman, I hope you are still enjoying the New Year holidays, even if you might feel stuck at home :D

OT, notice they're starting to work on Mae Jo road? The short new section that's down actually feels close to smooth. Not enough big trucks driving on it yet to make it 'normal' again, I guess...

Anyway ovenman, I hope you are still enjoying the New Year holidays, even if you might feel stuck at home  :o

If nothing else, it'll be a rather quiet week at the OvenBahn! :D

OT, notice they're starting to work on Mae Jo road? The short new section that's down actually feels close to smooth.  Not enough big trucks driving on it yet to make it 'normal' again, I guess...

Do you mean work apart from having re-opened the junction at Ruamchok Market on Sunday (which itself was a very welcome development)?

OT, notice they're starting to work on Mae Jo road? The short new section that's down actually feels close to smooth.  Not enough big trucks driving on it yet to make it 'normal' again, I guess...

Do you mean work apart from having re-opened the junction at Ruamchok Market on Sunday (which itself was a very welcome development)?

Oh, that's good to hear. The main soi in my muubaan had become a new route for traffic trying to cut through... Sometimes I don't go to town simply because I'm so tired of the growing annoyance at just getting to the Super....

I'm talking about this section of road just south of the Mae Jo Uni intersection, going south until it almost reaches the new middle rd. light. Only the inside lane (common sense version). They have this very cool paving machine that cuts about 10 cm of the old pavement and removes it, and then an asphalt carrier that lays, spreads, and smooths a new 10 cm layer of asphalt, effectively removing all those old bumpy patches, and giveing a beautiful, thick, and smooth surface. It's like a big train, all hooked together, inching along...

I had figured that with the ongoing construction at the bypass junctions, they were letting the condition of the Chiang Mai-Mae Jo road go to seed for the time being. That seems to be the standard operating procedure - the old irrigation canal road had become awful before they widened it to four-lane south to the Samoeng junction. Nice to hear that it's finally time for the resurfacing of the Mae Jo highway. I'd actually love for them to rip up the asphalt entirely and reconstruct using concrete but I'm sure that can be filed under wishful thinking.

Yeah, concrete is the answer... Look at the nearby Doi Saket road, made with concrete in same year as the Mae Jo road. It's still in great shape 10 years later, even though it gets much more heavy vehicle traffic...

But, we digress... :o

Happy New Year to all :D

Has anyone noticed all the replies in support of modern Songkran cite ithe bucketing of water is traditional? Sprinkling water, paying respect to the elderly and a host of other things that are impeded by water bucketing are. Many of the traditional activities are hampered by water throwing and excessive drinking. The women on bicycles beuty pageant, the ceremonies at the Wat's and monuments as example.

The water hurling is not traditional. Since when are squirt guns, plastic buckets, and the like a tradition?

The doctors I have spoken to estimate the post Songkran infections may well number over 1 million people. Staph, strep, pseudomona and other virulent organisims, not only in the canal water but virtually all water thrown as there is no continuous water treatment systems such as chlorination, are common. Eye, ear, nose, throat and lung infections by the thousands will flood the hospitals for weeks after the bucketing ends.

And then the added bonus. Large drums filled with water are used everywhere. To date, I have seen drums that formerly contained benzaldehyde, methyl bromate, paraquat, sodium hydroxide, methylethyl ketones to name a few. Can anyone assure that these drums have been cleaned throughly?

And for all the wonderful folks who just enjoy the opportunity to get drunk, let us keep in mind the average drunk driver injures or kills others, innocent victims, as well as themselves, at an average ratio of 8 to 1.

Ajarn, the jeep has a top and doors. My complaints come from kneeling on the side of the road rendering aid to accident victims.

I was in town yesterday...and it was almost bedlem.Can't imagine how bad it will be tomorrow. I saw two farangs that were very nealy wiped out by a truck.They were pissed as neuts and playing water fights in the MIDDLE of the road...... :o

Where I used to live in muang Thai, Songkran was only ever celebrated for one day and the earliest the water throwing started was around midnightish on the 12th. By sun down on the 13th, most of the revellers had already gone home and that would be the end of the craziness, which was just about right. Can only imagine how bad it will be in Chiang Mai over the next few days. There were more than a few idiots wielding water cannons and throwing buckets of water at motorcyclists (avoiding cars and trucks) on the main roads outside town today. I'm all for having fun and that but come on, the authorities should at least draw the line somewhere and keep these numbskulls off the highways at least until the 13th-15th.

Where I used to live in muang Thai, Songkran was only ever celebrated for one day and the earliest the water throwing started was around midnightish on the 12th. By sun down on the 13th, most of the revellers had already gone home and that would be the end of the craziness, which was just about right. Can only imagine how bad it will be in Chiang Mai over the next few days. There were more than a few idiots wielding water cannons and throwing buckets of water at motorcyclists (avoiding cars and trucks) on the main roads outside town today. I'm all for having fun and that but come on, the authorities should at least draw the line somewhere and keep these numbskulls off the highways at least until the 13th-15th.

Jack, where did you used to live?

In the North, it's been a multiple-day celebration for water tossing for longer than 20 years, but the traditional period has always been four days, with specific activities for each day, like cleaning your house, going to the wat, etc. Maybe it's more of a Northern thing, I'm not sure

Wan Sangkhan Lohng. People clean their houses and prepare for the new year festival on this day.

Wan Nao. On Wan Nao people prepare cooked and preserved food to be used in Buddhist merit making on the next day. On this day people also go down to the River to collect buckets of sand which is used to construct molded sand chedis, decorated with cut paper streamers and flowers, in the temple compound. When demolished, the sand from the chedis raises the level of the temple courtyard.

Wan Payawan. On this, the first day of the new year, people gathered at the wat in the early morning to offer the food prepared the previous day, fruit, new robes, and other goods to the monks. Traditionally this was the day when subdued water play started, but this has devolved to the exuberant water throwing that stretches over the four days of the festival.

Wan Park Bpee. On this day people pay respect to their ancestors, elders, or people worthy of respect due to advanced age or position. Scented water is poured over the hands of the individuals being paid respect who in turn bless the participants in the ceremony.

Many areas still only do the water-tossing for one day, like Songkhla, where I used to live, and in other areas, too.

Outstanding sunset this evening in Chiang Mai :o

In the North, it's been a multiple-day celebration for water tossing for longer than 20 years, but the traditional period has always been four days, with specific activities for each day, like cleaning your house, going to the wat, etc. Maybe it's more of a Northern thing, I'm not sure

Wan Sangkhan Lohng. People clean their houses and prepare for the new year festival on this day.

Wan Nao. On Wan Nao people prepare cooked and preserved food to be used in Buddhist merit making on the next day. On this day people also go down to the River to collect buckets of sand which is used to construct molded sand chedis, decorated with cut paper streamers and flowers, in the temple compound. When demolished, the sand from the chedis raises the level of the temple courtyard.

Wan Payawan. On this, the first day of the new year, people gathered at the wat in the early morning to offer the food prepared the previous day, fruit, new robes, and other goods to the monks. Traditionally this was the day when subdued water play started, but this has devolved to the exuberant water throwing that stretches over the four days of the festival.

Wan Park Bpee. On this day people pay respect to their ancestors, elders, or people worthy of respect due to advanced age or position. Scented water is poured over the hands of the individuals being paid respect who in turn bless the participants in the ceremony.

Many areas still only do the water-tossing for one day, like Songkhla, where I used to live, and in other areas, too.

Songkhla...

Songkhla...

All I can say is, thank god they still only allow one day there. The young Muslim bucks can go way over the top in the water-tossing. My wife was physically assaulted and sexually fondled by just such a group on her way home from the store, having to pass by these guys tossing water... A much more dangerous time for a women there than in CM, I'd say.

Years ago in Pattaya a well connected Thai businessman came out of a hotel. He had on an expensive suit and tie. He was going to an important meeting. He passed a bar and the girls came out with their various assorted water containers. The Thai businessman tried to explain to them that he DIDN'T want to get wet. He GOT doused. He went back to his hotel and changed into dry clothes and the same thing happened again. Within 30 minutes a Pattaya fire truck stopped in front of the bar. The high pressure hose blew all the glasses and bottles off the back bar as well as knocking over bar stools and tables. All of a sudden it wasn't fun. He strolled by the next time and remained dry. He gave them a nice wai and a grin.

Songkhla...

All I can say is, thank god they still only allow one day there. The young Muslim bucks can go way over the top in the water-tossing. My wife was physically assaulted and sexually fondled by just such a group on her way home from the store, having to pass by these guys tossing water... A much more dangerous time for a women there than in CM, I'd say.

Bunch of A-holes, and they ride around in packs of twenty or more! :D

Edited by jackr

Years ago in Pattaya a well connected Thai businessman came out of a hotel. He had on an expensive suit and tie. He was going to an important meeting. He passed a bar and the girls came out with their various assorted water containers. The Thai businessman tried to explain to them that he DIDN'T want to get wet. He GOT doused. He went back to his hotel and changed into dry clothes and the same thing happened again. Within 30 minutes a Pattaya fire truck stopped in front of the bar. The high pressure hose blew all the glasses and bottles off the back bar as well as knocking over bar stools and tables. All of a sudden it wasn't fun. He strolled by the next time and remained dry. He gave them a nice wai and a grin.

Good lad. That's how you do it, forget these little pump-action jobbies :o

According to todays Bangkok Post,police are under instructions to clamp down on water tossers on major roads, Hang Dong road police post hosts the biggest congregation of tossers,even using the police post hose with a man in brown holding the business end... so much for road safety :o

I enjoyed a great afternoon today among the hordes around Tapae gate and moon muang road, as well as a couple of other places.... No weird stuff, everyone smiling and having fun, no problems seen at all.

Highly recommended for all the sticks-in-the-mud around here :o