Old Mangy Dogs..?

Although my wife's village has the normal dogs roaming around being a general nuisance, it is most definately not overpopulated.

This is because every month or so a pickup with a big cage comes around the village and takes some of the dogs away, leaving a payment of 1 bucket or basket to the "owner" ( normally the house where the dog is usually found).

Apparently according to my missus these dogs are then taken to Nakhon Phanom or Sakon Nakhon for local consumption or export to China. :o

The dogs I'm told can fetch up to bt500 each.... not a bad profit for these guys really. :D

Has anyone else seen the same kind of thing anywhere else in Thailand..?

totster :D

Edited by Totster

Although my wife's village has the normal dogs roaming around being a general nuisance, it is most definately not overpopulated.

This is because every month or so a pickup with a big cage comes around the village and takes some of the dogs away, leaving a payment of 1 bucket or basket to the "owner" ( normally the house where the dog is usually found).

Apparently according to my missus these dogs are then taken to Nakhon Phanom or Sakon Nakhon for local consumption or export to China. :o

The dogs I'm told can fetch up to bt500 each.... not a bad profit for these guys really. :D

Has anyone else seen the same kind of thing anywhere else in Thailand..?

totster  :D

Yes, some 30 years ago in a small village on Phuket; a truck LOADED with DEAD dogs, at least 50 to 60 of them; a couple a guys with some kind of electrical shock-sticks were killing all the (wild) dogs...

What happened with them, I don't know.

LaoPo

I wrote a bout this in my blog page the other day. (Look here). This caused quite a stir amongst those in the west read about it. But if you live in Isaan, it is just another part of life. I am just now waiting for the pick-up again. There is a mangy old bitch running around here at night (not my wife :o ) and every male dog in Buriram seems to be after her.

I wrote a bout this in my blog page the other day. (Look here). This caused quite a stir amongst those in the west read about it. But if you live in Isaan, it is just another part of life. I am just now waiting for the pick-up again. There is a mangy old bitch running around here at night (not my wife  :D ) and every male dog in Buriram seems to be after her.

Interesting read Lourens... Did you get a bucket for each one..? :o

totster

They used to kill the stray dogs here too, they are not being killed for food or for export here, they are dumped in the local landfill. Southerners do not eat dogs and I believe that even Isaan people would turn their noses up at dogs dead for a few days in the back of a truck.

They used to kill the stray dogs here too, they are not being killed for food or for export here, they are dumped in the local landfill. Southerners do not eat dogs and I believe that even Isaan people would turn their noses up at dogs dead for a few days in the back of a truck.

The dogs are taken alive.... the look on their faces when they leave on the back of a pickup... well..... :o

The dogs are taken alive.... the look on their faces when they leave on the back of a pickup... well..... :o

Seen the dog truck in my wifes village taking away a dog from our neighbours house and leaving a new bucket.Quite a distressing sight for a dog lover :D .

When I asked the neighbour why she got rid of the dog she replied

"because it barked"

QUOTE(Lourens @ 2005-04-29 07:55:06)

I wrote a bout this in my blog page the other day. (Look here). This caused quite a stir amongst those in the west read about it. But if you live in Isaan, it is just another part of life. I am just now waiting for the pick-up again. There is a mangy old bitch running around here at night (not my wife ) and every male dog in Buriram seems to be after her.

QUOTE totster: Interesting read Lourens... Did you get a bucket for each one..?

totster

No. As is customary in Thailand, the farang got overcharged. They got four dogs and I only got three buckets :o But TIT and I can live with that.

Edited by Lourens

Seen the dog truck in my wifes village taking away a dog from our neighbours house and leaving a new bucket.Quite a distressing sight for a dog lover :o .

When I asked the neighbour why she got rid of the dog she replied

"because it barked"

It is good to remember that because of the amount of litters from the dogs in the village, without the truck to take some away ( usually the old and mangy ) the population would keep growing. :D

No. As is customary in Thailand, the farang got overcharged. They got four dogs and I only got three buckets  :D  But TIT and I can live with that.

Ah well... three is better than none.... :D

Too bad the govt doesn't have a program to go out into the country and sterilize people's dogs.

Regardless, the trucks full of dead dogs are not going to be eaten but are just being culled because of overpopulation.

And, apparently trucks filled with live dogs were found in Phuket a few days ago and the dog buyers were arrested. Wonder what the charges were?

Edited by sbk

These guys don't just take the dogs and run. The owner of the dog get a reward for every dog they take. Either a bucket or a woven basket. Afterall, the pick-up guys make money out of those dogs.

They make pretty good money also, seeing as a dog can fetch bt500 ( so I'm told )

Locally there's a Vietnamese guy with a tricylce who goes around and collects the dog road kills.What he does with the mangled bodies i haven't asked. :o

Best not to ask really.... if you are walking past his house and he invites you to eat with him... RUN :D

Can't think "laap maa" would go down too well...

what color buckets do they give you, although i have to admit to being more interested in the woven baskets, :D

Buckets are black.... although the baskets are nice most people opt for the buckets... probably more useful.. :D

There is also a group of Vietnamese who gather up strays and sell them to kind hearted Thais for a few baht.Whether they ever intend to eat them i don't know but they earn a few quid and the Thais make merit by saving the dogs.

There is also a group of Vietnamese who gather up strays and sell them to kind hearted Thais for a few baht.Whether they ever intend to eat them i don't know but they earn a few quid and the Thais make merit by saving the dogs.

Thais buying stray dogs...?? Sounds a bit strange... :o

Edited by Totster

• 3 years later...
Too bad the govt doesn't have a program to go out into the country and sterilize people's dogs.

Regardless, the trucks full of dead dogs are not going to be eaten but are just being culled because of overpopulation.

And, apparently trucks filled with live dogs were found in Phuket a few days ago and the dog buyers were arrested. Wonder what the charges were?

Apparently SBK the perpetrators told the police they actually had the wrong dogs, they were really only looking for retriever{s}

It's heartwarming to see so many posters taking pleasure from the appalling fate of so many unfortunate dogs who have never had a decent life.

If you're missing out on this fun, try pulling the wings of flies or legs of spiders - I'm sure you'll get a similar kick.