Thai Permanent Resident

DETAILED INFORMATION NEEDED FOR RESIDENCE PERMIT APPLICATIONS (BY YEARLY QUOTA PER NATIONALITY)

An applicant’s qualifications

A foreign national may qualify to apply for a residence permit if he/she

holds a passport of his/her current nationality, which was granted a NON-IMMIGRANT VISA and has been permitted to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand on the basis of one year visa extension for the total of at least 3 consecutive years up to the application submission date.

has personal qualifications that fit one of the following categories:

Investment category

Working/Business category

Humanity Reasons category: he/she must have relationship with a Thai citizen or an alien who already possessed residence permit as the followings:

- A legal husband or wife.

- A legal father or mother.

- A child who is under 20 years of age up to the submission date of application and must be single.

Expert category.

Submission period for the applications

The applicants can submit the applications once a year. Normally, the opening date for the applications is in December. Once the date is announced, the applications can be submitted until the last working day of that year. Detailed information about the date and documents required for each category can be obtained at Section 1, Sub-Division 1, Immigration Division 1, Immigration Bureau (room number 301, 3th floor) Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road, Sathorn District, Bangkok 10120 Tel. 0-2287-3117 or at any regional Immigration offices. The applicants must submit the applications by themselves and have to bring all the documents required for each category together with all their original passports to be checked by immigration officers.

Procedures after the applications are accepted

The immigration officers will grant the applicants a180 day extension of stay on the date of application submission and the next extensions will be granted for 90 days until the results of the applications come out from the Immigration Commission.

The applicants and those who get involved with the applications will get an appointment card to come for an interview with the immigration officers. The interview includes the test of the understanding of Thai language: speaking and listening (the applicants must come for the interview on the date of appointment; otherwise, without an appropriate reason, it will be automatically taken into the consideration that they cancel the applications.)

The applicants who are over 14 years of age must be checked their criminal records as the followings:

Their fingerprint sheets are sent to the Criminal Records Division for the criminal record’s check in Thailand.

Their passports are checked by the black list system whether they are considered as “prohibited persons” according to the Immigration.

They are to be checked whether they are wanted by a foreign warrant of arrest by the Foreign Affair Division.

Applications Consideration

The applications will be submitted for the consideration by the Immigration Commission which consists of the representatives from the Interior Ministry, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Royal Thai Police Headquarters, the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare, the Supreme Attorney, the Board of Investment, the Security State Council, the Tourist Authority of Thailand, and the Immigration Bureau with the final approval by the Interior Minister.

To grant approval for the residence permit application, the Immigration Commission will take into its consideration the applicants’ qualifications in terms of income, assets, knowledge, professional expertise, relationship with a Thai citizen, national security, personality, health, the understanding of Thai language, and other appropriate conditions due to current economic and social surroundings, and government policy.

Timing for the consideration process varies each year, depending on the policy of the Immigration Commission and the Interior Ministry.

Fees

1 A non-refundable fee for each application is 7,600 baht.

5.2 If the application is approved, the fee for the residence permit is 191,400 baht. However, the residence permit fee for spouses and children (under 20 years of age) of Thai citizens or aliens who already had the residence permit is 95,700 baht.

Note : Fees can be changed and effected under the law.

WARNING:

Submission of false documents or the provision of false statements are criminal offences. This copy is for the applicant’s guideline only. It would be subjected to change by government policies and economic conditions.

(August 2003)

For more information please contact:

Immigration Division 1 Sub Division 1 Section 1

Immigration Bureau (Room 301 Floor 3)

507 Soi Sathorn South Sahtorn Road

Sathorn District Bangkok 10120

Telepohone 0-2287-3117, 0-2287-3101-10 ext 2234-2235

Anyone here is waiting for their thai PR for last year Dec 2004 submission.

It has been 3 mths since my PR interview with them.

I have yet to hear any news or receive notice letter from them.

Been informed by thai immigration officer that if you failed in your interview, you will receive short notice very fast by post.

If no news means good news usually for this knd of case..

Just want to check anyone here in same position as me. :o

Edited by maxbkkguy

Anyone here is waiting for their thai PR for last year Dec  2004 submission.

I'm waiting too. I doubt we'll know anything before August. In fact, Immigration just asked me for an additional document which they know will take several weeks to get.

Anyone here is waiting for their thai PR for last year Dec  2004 submission.

I'm waiting too. I doubt we'll know anything before August. In fact, Immigration just asked me for an additional document which they know will take several weeks to get.

I would be interested in hearing your comments on the language test part of the application - I will apply this december and think I stack-up pretty well on all points with exception of the language skills - your comments would be welcome

191,400 baht !!    I make that the cost equivalent to 95.7 visa runs !!  :o

Coz I am bored....it all depends on how you value your leisure time really....

Say you value your leisure time at US$10 per hour (400 baht). This is based on rough average of past earnings, monies that you would have spent anyway, or time you are wasting on the visa run which could have been devoted to another productive activity (ie working, or the forsaken value of giving up something you enjoy doing...eg golf, drinking, veging at home).

Say a Visa run from BKK to Cambo return takes 10 hours.

Cost of Transport: 500 baht

Snacks/food along the way: 200 baht

Cost of Cambo Visa: 1000 baht

Value of your time: 400 baht * 10 hours = 4000 baht.

Total real cost of your visa run..... 5700 baht.

So 191,400/5700 = 33.6 visa runs.

So at face value, with 4 visa runs per year, you'll be saving 8.4 years worth of visa runs by getting your PR.

This hasn't included factoring in things like the value you place on actually being able to call Thailand home indefinetly......which is why people are prepare to shell out the 200K in the first place!!

I would be interested in hearing your comments on the language test part of the application - I will apply this december and think I stack-up pretty well on all points with exception of the language skills - your comments would be welcome

In my case, the officer who interviewed me was the same one who accepted my application and documents 4 months before, so things were pretty relaxed and friendly. I had a young lawyer with me. Since I speak Thai pretty well, the whole discussion was in Thai. Mostly it was about the documents, my background, and the PR process. Every now and again a question came right out of the blue, like "What religion are you?" So I got the impression my Thai language skills and general demeanor were being examined. The officer typed on a PC the whole time.

After the discussion, she printed out a long statement (in Thai) from the computer, asked the lawyer to read it to me and explain anything I didn't understand, and then we both had to sign it. The statement was a long series of questions and answers such as, "I explained to the applicant that after receiving notice of a successful application, he must come to the Immigration office within 30 days. The applicant said he understood." In fact, many of the questions hadn't been asked. :o

After we'd signed, she asked the lawyer to leave. Then she gave me a sheet of 10 multiple answer questions written in Thai. Since I don't read Thai very well at all, she read the questions and the answers, pointing at the ABCD answers as she read them. Some of the answers had little pictures which made them easier. With some of them, you could tell just from the answers which was the odd one out, even if you didn't understand the question.

Some of the questions were pretty easy, some required a basic knowledge of Thailand (How many provinces there are, etc), and one was about the PR process (i.e. the stuff I had signed in the statement). The only problem I had was that the questions were phrased in formal written Thai style rather than the spoken Thai I'm used to. If I didn't understand the question, it was pretty easy to figure out the question from the answers! The room was quite noisy, so I had to ask her to repeat one of the questions.

The test doesn't take long. After that, you go into a partitioned area and introduce yourself in Thai while they record it on camera. It looked like an ordinary Sony still camera to me, so the video mode would probably not be more than a couple of minutes. I kept my intro short, but I was asked a couple of questions after I finished.

So at face value, with 4 visa runs per year, you'll be saving 8.4 years worth of visa runs by getting your PR.

Since you have to have been on one-year visa extensions for three years to apply for PR, I guess all you'll save in financial terms is the cost of the yearly extension.

This hasn't included factoring in things like the value you place on actually being able to call Thailand home indefinetly......which is why people are prepare to shell out the 200K in the first place!!

It's worth 200K for the security of knowing you don't have to leave the country in seven days if you lose your job.

191,400 baht !!    I make that the cost equivalent to 95.7 visa runs !!   :D

Its a faintly pointless calculation because visa runners and similar drifters are not eligible to qualify for PR.

oooohhhhhhh Boris!!!! :D:o

Half price if you are married to a Thai. :D

Dear Salz,

I got PR some years back.

I've posted on this forum several times, including some details not yet covered in other replies.

Can I suggest that you do a search of old posts by 'alanw'. Some of the content may be of interest to you.

Good luck.

AlanW

Its a faintly pointless calculation because visa runners and similar drifters are not eligible to qualify for PR.

oooohhhhhhh Boris!!!! :D:o

Half price if you are married to a Thai. :D

So if I have a Thai wife its half price ? So can anyone tell me where me can get one of them ?

Very true....and there is 10 minutes of my life that I will never get back too..

I'd like to meet Boris one day and buy him a beer to see if my mental picture of him reflects the reality. :o:D

Edited by samran

Very true....and there is 10 minutes of my life that I will never get back too..

I'd like to meet Boris one day and buy him a beer to see if my mental picture of him reflects the reality. :o:D

Tell me what your mental picture is and I'll let you know whether you are correct.

191,400 baht !!    I make that the cost equivalent to 95.7 visa runs !!  :D

Tell me what your mental picture is and I'll let you know whether you are correct.

The Monopoly mayor? :D

Well Boris, your manner and your nickname suggest to me that you could very well look like the semi-famous Conservative MP, Boris Johnson. Of course, I am not trying to imply that you are an upper class twit like Boris Johnson is of course...... :D:o

8.jpg

1120_big.jpg

Boris_cake.jpg

Hi camerata !!

Why you said August?? Did your thai lawyer say so?

I applied the PR by myself without any lawyer at all. Ask the lady officer that day, who interviewed me whether it will be better to have a thai lawyer to assist for PR.

She told me, it was no necessary at all. This is because i have thai wife and 3 thai children. Since I have been working in thailand for the last 3 yrs legally.

It shouldn't be a problem for me. Hope she is right.

I asked her when/how i know if my application is successful or not.

She said that normally those rejected applicants will receive short notice by post within 2 weeks.

If there is ' no news means good news' for this case.

Meaning to say, we have passed 1st stage (her interviews), now waiting for the big boss to sign. Once the big boss signed, they will immediately inform us to come down to pay the money and process the PR.

Hope i'm right.

Let keep each other in check.

If you receive anythings'notice/letter', pls post here.

All the best to us.

Well Boris, your manner and your nickname suggest to me that you could very well look like the semi-famous Conservative MP, Boris Johnson. Of course, I am not trying to imply that you are an upper class twit like Boris Johnson is of course...... :D:o

8.jpg

1120_big.jpg

Boris_cake.jpg

Strange that samran, that is exactly the image I have of Boris! :D

I'm not like Boris Johnson (BJ) to any significant degree.I am definitely not upper class and neither I think is BJ despite his Eton/Oxford education.I suspect his silly ass act is a carefully contrived smoke screen (can one contrive a smokescreen?) to disguise rather a good mind since English sensibilities are mistrustful of anyone too wise or too articulate.As Lord Salisbury devastatingly once said of the brilliant Ian Mcleod, "too clever by half", thus crippling the latter's political career.What I might share with BJ (spare us the schoolboy retorts) is an enjoyment of the follies and pretensions of the world, and the broad comedy of life.

I'm not like Boris Johnson (BJ) to any significant degree.I am definitely not upper class and neither I think is BJ despite his Eton/Oxford education.I suspect his silly ass act is a carefully contrived smoke screen (can one contrive a smokescreen?) to disguise rather a good mind since English sensibilities are mistrustful of anyone too wise or too articulate.As Lord Salisbury devastatingly once said of the brilliant Ian Mcleod, "too clever by half", thus crippling the latter's political career.What I might share with BJ (spare us the schoolboy retorts) is an enjoyment of the follies and pretensions of the world, and the broad comedy of life.

So I don't get to have a beer with you then? :D

Hi camerata !!

Why you said August?? Did your thai lawyer say so?

I don't remember exactly. I think it was probably a comment on ThaiVisa last year that someone got their results in August. Immigration told me they don't know when the results will come out, but it doesn't seem to be the same time each year.

I applied the PR by myself without any lawyer at all. Ask the lady officer that day, who interviewed me whether it will be better to have a thai lawyer to assist for PR.

She told me, it was no necessary at all. This is because i have  thai wife and 3 thai children. Since  I have been working in thailand for the last 3 yrs legally.

It shouldn't be a problem for me. Hope she is right.

I used a lawyer mainly because there is no one responsible enough at the company I work for to get all the work-related documents correct and complete. I needed someone to check them. As I expected, what I was given was incomplete and sometimes out of date, and the lawyer spotted this. Also, the lawyer saved me a lot of running around and gave me some good advice about what documents to provide as my "portfolio" showing my contribution to society.

The lawyer described the PR process as a competition in which you have to do better than the next guy (which in itself implies there is an unwritten quota of people who can pass each year regardless of the country maximum of 100). Since I'm still single and not working for a multinational, I figured I could use all the help I could get.

I asked her when/how i know if my application is successful or not.

She said that normally those rejected applicants will receive short notice by post within 2 weeks.

If there is  ' no news means good news' for this case.

Meaning to say, we have passed 1st stage (her interviews), now waiting for the big boss to sign. Once the big boss signed, they will immediately inform us to come down to pay the money and process the PR.

Well, I hope you're right, but after the interview, someone obviously went through my documents very thoroughly (which is presumably how they only just found out I had one incorrect document), so I don't think it is the last stage.

I think it'll take a few months yet. The "big boss" in this case is the interior minister.

if boris got PR, why worry anybody!

just do your homework and submit the correct papers. there's no magic or bribes or connections behind it ... a laywer may help, a lawyer may not help.

a good lawyer anyway only accepts papers for a PR submission that are worthwile.

its an open and transparent process for all sides.

if you're trying to cheat or to make up stories, they find out, its as simple as that.

just check if you're fulfilling the requirements - if yes, you should be fine.

my biggest worry was the waiting game. was in the round that had to wait nearly three years for the PR-papers.

but as a poster in here said: as long as you hear nothing, that is definitively good news.

ok then, good luck everybody!

if boris got PR, why worry anybody!

just do your homework and submit the correct papers. there's no magic or bribes or connections behind it ... a laywer may help, a lawyer may not help.

a good lawyer anyway only accepts papers for a PR submission that are worthwile.

its an open and transparent process for all sides.

if you're trying to cheat or to make up stories, they find out, its as simple as that.

just check if you're fulfilling the requirements - if yes, you should be fine.

my biggest worry was the waiting game. was in the round that had to wait nearly three years for the PR-papers.

but as a poster in here said: as long as you hear nothing, that is definitively good news.

ok then, good luck everybody!

Ignoring the cheeky first line, this is a very good summary of the way to approach PR.

Here's a good example of how ridiculous the paperwork can be at Immigration. Today, while I was waiting to extend my visa (in the process of Permanent Residence application) an official was on the phone talking to an applicant:

"There's a problem with your health certificate. You haven't been checked for all six ailments. You haven't been checked for syphilis. YOU MUST GO BACK TO THE DOCTOR AND GET CHECKED FOR SYPHILIS THIS WEEK!"

But, as we all know, the doctors never do any blood tests for these Immigration and WP required certificates and they certainly don't ask you to drop your pants.

• 6 months later...
Here's a good example of how ridiculous the paperwork can be at Immigration. Today, while I was waiting to extend my visa (in the process of Permanent Residence application) an official was on the phone talking to an applicant:

"There's a problem with your health certificate. You haven't been checked for all six ailments. You haven't been checked for syphilis. YOU MUST GO BACK TO THE DOCTOR AND GET CHECKED FOR SYPHILIS THIS WEEK!"

But, as we all know, the doctors never do any blood tests for these Immigration and WP required certificates and they certainly don't ask you to drop your pants.

Well, ridiculous or not, they pulled the same thing on me the following week. I didn't have to get tested for syphilis but I did have to get the hospital to stamp the official form guaranteeing that I was free of syphilis.

Have any of you December 2004 applicants for PR received a rejection letter yet? Supposedly, the final process gets delayed when the Interior Minister is busy - and that is certainly the case this year - but I doubt he is involved in the rejected applications. When I was at Immigration last time to extend my visa they checked a long list of maybe 100 names with some crossed out, but didn't make any comment.

My passport is going to need renewing in a few more months and I'm sure that will complicate things.

• 4 months later...