Big Al's Cal/mex Food--the Best I've Had

Bel Mondo

Stopped by Big Al's Cal/Mex right infront of Big C North Pattaya.

Haven't had better Mexican since I left LA...Enjoyed speakig with this interesting guy---martial artisit, stuntman, movie-guy---

This is what makes Pattaya---"Pattaya"---

Stopped by Big Al's Cal/Mex right  infront of Big C North Pattaya.

Haven't had better Mexican since I left LA...Enjoyed speakig with this interesting guy---martial artisit, stuntman, movie-guy---

This is what makes Pattaya---"Pattaya"---

....and you can quench your thirst and play a little pool at the Atlantic Bar just up the steps behind Big Al`s :o

I know Al quite well although I've yet to try his food (which will be soon as i've heard great reports) :D

He's also opening another one in Marine Plaza next to the unluckiest plot in Pattaya, the ex Tony's/ Don't go home alone, Feighling, table dancing, X etc etc building. A new Gogo bar/ hotel will open supposedly in a week or so there (we're taking bets now on how long it will open for) :o

I will certainly be getting take aways on the way home.

Edited by davethailand

I'll second your appreciation of the great taste and value of the offerings at Big Al's. Ate there the first time in May, and that became my regular spot for the 1st meal of the day. The taco burger is my fave, but tried at least 6 items on the menu, and liked them all. These are his recipes, and kudos to him for training the ladies to buy the ingredients and prepare them East LA style.

Fascinating listening to Big Al talk of his days in California. The first day I met him, I was surprised later that afternoon when I picked up an issue of the PattayaMail, and saw an article with a photo of Big Al holding a young Thai guy who had snatched his mobile phone at a nearby bar. Al, all 150+ kilos of him, chased the poor bugger down, and delivered him to the Thai police.

I'm surprised the thief didn't have a heart attack watching this big guy bear down on him.

• 3 weeks later...
Can someone tell me how to find Big Al's.  I have walked along 2nd road in front of the Big C complex and could not find him; and I was sober during my hunt.

Left hand side of 2nd Road (i.e. West side) across the road from the massage temple. It's only a very small sidewalk stall with maybe 5 stools.

-redwood

fascinating listening to Big Al talk of his days in California.  The first day I met im, I was surprised later that afternoon when I picked up an issue of the PattayaMail, and saw an article with a photo of Big Al holding a young Thai guy who had snatched his mobile phone at a nearby bar.  Al, all 150+ kilos of him, chased the poor bugger down, and delivered him to the Thai police.

I'm surprised the thief didn't have a heart attack watching this big guy bear down on him.

Also this on the news.One less "wannabe villan" on the streets of pattaya.

Think he'll be safer in the monkey house anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried Big Al's Mexican food outlet on 2nd road (opp. Big C).

Was hungry so decided to have the 'Monster' Burrito. Very tasty, arroi jang loi, in fact but hardly what I would call 'monster'. Quite small in fact and I could easily have eaten 2 or 3. I was expecting something a little larger but, at 90 Baht, I suppose that it was reasonable value. Definitely best tasting Mex that I have found in Pattaya.

DM

I read this post and also ate at Big Al's opposite Big C and found the food to be OK, as Mexican food in Pattaya goes. I agree with the above poster that the portions are rather small...but I would go there again!

You might also consider Teqila Reef on Soi 7 between Beach Rd. and Second Rd. I found their mexican food to be on par.

He's also opening another one in Marine Plaza next to the unluckiest plot in Pattaya, the ex Tony's/ Don't go home alone, Feighling, table dancing, X etc etc building. A new Gogo bar/ hotel will open supposedly in a week or so there (we're taking bets now on how long it will open for) 

Not going to happen now.

(The gogo has been told to shove it) :o

Went there having seen this post, I had a burger and a friend the Burrito.

The burger was small, dry and did not match up to even the burger stall just along the road outside the soi 2 complex. The Burrito tasted a touch better but was small.

Headed up to Fatties and got a real size burger well cooked and tasty.

dog

i always found fatties just that full of fat and very greasy- usually a session on the great white telephone after.

just down from the atlantic outside the cherry bar(bottom of the stairs) is a great chicken kebab stall to mop up all that tiger and chang..

I have eaten at Fatties many times and the BURGERS are BIG and TASTY....not much fat shrinkage....Owner from Texas they do it RIGHT!!

Mexican food....I find Mikes on Thappraya Rd on way to Jomtien, near Jomtien Nivate about soi 7 VERY GOOD and uthentic Mexican Taste. Owner has 2 other restauraunts in Tokyo....Give them a try on left side going towards Jomtien

I just discovered that there's still a bit of Taco Bell left in Singapore at the Shaw/SB shopping mall on Orchard Road above the Orchard NS22 MRT station. It's on the top floor with the movie theatre but it's combined with a KFC/Pizza Hut so there's only about 6 items on the menu -- chicken quesadilla, bean burrito, nacho cheese gordita, and a few others.

Sadly it kicks the crap out of everything "Mex" I've had in Pattaya :o

I have eaten at Fatties many times and the BURGERS are BIG and TASTY....not much fat shrinkage....Owner from Texas they do it RIGHT!!

Mexican food....I find Mikes on Thappraya Rd on way to Jomtien, near Jomtien Nivate about soi 7 VERY GOOD and uthentic Mexican Taste. Owner has 2 other restauraunts in Tokyo....Give them a try on left side going towards Jomtien

I went there last night and I 3rd that. Althought not quite on par with California Mexican food...and still far from that found in Mexico, the Mexican food at Mike's is the best in Pattaya.

• 3 weeks later...
The restaurant between Beach Rd and 2nd Rd was expensicve and the portion was kinda small. 

I assume you mean the Blue Parrot , but there are a few hundred restaurants between those two Roads.

:o

What soi is blue parrot on?

matt

Blue Parrot is in Pattayaland 2...the one with the 7-11 on the corner.

Every time I go back home (Northern California) I gain probably 5 lbs on Mexican food alone :o I haven't found any good Mexican joints here in England so I'm looking forward to trying these suggestions when I get back to Thailand!!!

Edited by Tone Capone

I felt peckish the other night, so went to this place after reading about it on here. First the location is crap, and second I have to say the "jumbo hot dog" was the same size you get at Diary Queen, (for half the price) and the sausage was a fried Thai sausage.

Sorry, but if this is an indication of what else is available, and I think it is from the comments here, I won't visit again.

Just tried Big Al's Mexican food outlet on 2nd road (opp. Big C).

Was hungry so decided to have the 'Monster' Burrito.  Very tasty, arroi jang loi, in fact but hardly what I would call 'monster'.  Quite small in fact and I could easily have eaten 2 or 3.  I was expecting something a little larger but, at 90 Baht, I suppose that it was reasonable value.  Definitely best tasting Mex that I have found in Pattaya.

DM

Are they actuall tortillas?