High End Hi-fi In Bangkok

CarlBkk

I'm looking to purchase a new system in Bangkok (I'll then look for an apartment to fit around it!) and checking out some dealers. Most seem to be in Amarin Plaza and offer American makes such as Macintosh, Adcom, Theta etc. Has anyone got experience buying similar equipment in Thailand?

I'm looking at Krell, Martin Logan, Quad, Jeff Rowland and a few others. I'd prefer to buy second hand but I don't think there's used market in Thailand for this equipment as the market is so small.

I've noticed that some products are priced level with US prices, and considerably cheaper than in the UK (which is great, because I thought they'd be taxed to oblivion) so that negates the need for shipping/tax to import them.

There are some shops in Fortune Town on Asoke-Dindaeng on the third floor at the hotel end of the complex which sell high-end audiophile equipment. A few of them also sell second-hand stuff. These shops have been in business for eons and they are very professional. Perhaps a visit there could meet your needs.

There are also distributor show rooms and dealers in Ploenchit Center, old BicC (next to new BigC) across the Rajdamari Rd. from Central World Plaza and Fortune Tower. I've seen old, 2nd hand separate Krell amplifiers at a shop in Fortune Tower some time ago perhaps early this year (preamp + 2 X monoral power amps, for around B70,000).

As you might already know, Krell and Martin Logan importer/distributor Image Audio is in Amarin Plaza and I've also seen Quad distributor (or dealer) there (don't remember the distributor name). The owner of Krell/Martin Logan/Theta distributor is Khun Wuti if I remember correctly, and he speaks pretty good English and seems like a nice guy. I've only bought 2 PS Audio AC cables from image audio and it was a pleasant shopping. They allowed me to borrow and test the AC cables for a use with my stereo set for a week before deciding to buy it.

I've also bought Marantz SACD player from a distributor during the audio fair which they organize twice every year (just had one last month at Emerald Hotel) and that was also a pleasant shopping. Many distributors would give 10 - 20% discount during the audio fair.

I'm also contemplating replacing my amplifier and been thinking of Krell Integrated amplifier KAV400xi. I think it is quite reasonably priced in Thailand at B115,000 as compared to the other makes of the similar grade like Macintosh MA6900 or Accuphase E530 which cost almost double as much as KAV400xi in Thailand. I wanted Macintosh but heard not-so-good rumor about the importer here and the price is just way out of reach for me while in my own country KAV400xi and Accuphase E530 is priced almost the same and MA6900 only about B30,000 more than KAV400xi.

Edited by Nordlys

Thanks guys, that's helpful. If I can find some second hand Krell amps I'd be a happy man!

Nordlys, I've got a demo arranged with Khun Wuti next week, so looking forward to hearing their Martin Logan Summit's with Krell set-up. However, I do like my music punchy and fast so it'll be interesting to see how electrostatics cope (also considering the new raved-about Quad ESL 989s and B&W Nautilus from Gaysorn).

Not sure how keen they'll be on home demos here in Thailand, but I'll find out soon. I attended the show at the Emerald but wasn't so impressed with the makes appearing there.

I'm interested in the Krell KAV 300s if I can't find any second hand, but need to check out the Jeff Rowlands too. What speakers are you driving? Not yet sure about CD transport/DAC but Wadia's on the list. I need to refresh my memory of what's new/hot when I go back to the UK soon and demo a few over there. Used to work close to the Hi-Fi News Magazine team (same publisher) and got some good discounts, but that link's closed now :-(

You might want to see what norh have going at the moment.. They went through a phase of being internet darlings and then ran into problems with some solid state amps I think.. I have thier marble 9's and self built subs and am very happy with the config..

I understand thier tube stuff is very econimical and was considering a bedrom set with one..

CarlBKK, if you like fast and punchy sound, you might want to consider British PMC speakers which I believe the distributor showroom is in Ploenchit Center. Two of the staffs at Image Audio used to work there till recently (I forgot their names but I bought speaker and inter-connect cables from them before they moved to Image Audio), so why not ask them for their comment on PMC when you go to Image Audio next time (they speak limited English so you might need Khun Wuti to translate for you). I doubt if condenser/electrostatic type speaker sound like Martin Logan and Quad ESL series can be described as "punchy", they are more like "silky" so to speak in my opinion (nonetheless they are good especially Quad ESL though I've only listened to Martin Logan). BTW I think I saw Magnepan electrostatic too when I was at Image Audio last time.

BTW if you can afford Quad ESL989 why not consider B&W Signature series too instead of Nautilus? B&W Signature 805 is priced around B160K and believe it is one of the most highly rated speakers of its class. B&W has showrooms in Ploenchit Center too which carries a much wider selection of speakers for display/demonstration than at Gaysorn showroom (but I find their staffs unfriendly at any B&W showrooms). Heard Quad ESL988 is also very good and better worth of value-for-money than ESL989, but do Thai distributor/dealers carry stock of these high-end Quad models in Thailand? I've only seen rather cheap models at a showroom in Amarin Plaza on the same floor as Image Audio, not sure though if it's a distributor or just a dealer. BTW Martin Logan speakers are very nice and heard it can make you forget the presence of the speakers (as if the speakers disappeared) when you listen to it, but the sound of electrostatic mid/high range doesn't really harmonize and blend in so well with the low-range bass from the woofer, I heard (I guess depends on the model, maybe).

As to the Jeff Rowland Design Group, I have never seen its product at any shops or showrooms nor at audio fairs (at least for the past 3 years) in Thailand. Did you contact its US headquarter (if it's US made) if they have an importer/distributor in Thailand? I think Jeff Rowland has just released a new integrated amplifier about a year or two after they have discontinued their last integrated amp "Concentra 2", and while I believe the new "Concerto Integrated" is among the cheapest model of the entire Jeff Rowland product line-ups, I would assume it would cost twice or three times as much as B115,000 Krell KAV400xi if sold in Thailand.

I have a rather cheap Victor (JVC) SX-LT55 tower type speakers I brought from Japan (around B60K in Japan, perhaps B90-100K if imported to Thailand). This speaker has been the best selling speakers for its class (Yen200,000 and less) in Japan about 2 - 3 years ago and I believe it's sold only in Japanese domestic market. I'm a big fan of Victor speaker (one of the only Japanese speaker manufacturers comparable to the European and US high-end) and shipped them from Japan myself two years ago. Great value-for-money speakers and great for jazz and pops but less so for orchestral classics.

Carl, I'm sure Wadia is a very good CD player (or transport/DAC conveter) maker if money is no object but how about SACD player? Not every title you might want to listen is released into SACD but have you ever listened to SACD (Super Audio CD) before? SACD player is one option you can upgrade sound quality dramatically without having to spend hundreds of thousands of Baht.

Edited by Nordlys

Last year all the audio shops in Ploenchit Center were vacating their stores. Some of them moved to a building called E-Square next to the Big C which is across the road from the World Trade Center. It sounds as if some audio dealers moved back into the Ploenchit Center after remodeling or not???

-redwood

Last year all the audio shops in Ploenchit Center were vacating their stores.  Some of them moved to a building called E-Square next to the Big C which is across the road from the World Trade Center.  It sounds as if some audio dealers moved back into the Ploenchit Center after remodeling or not???

Yes, I've heard the same story. Heard most of the shops vacated the Ploenchit Center but when I went to the old BigC building couple of months ago found only Macintosh and Accuphase distributor showrooms for real high-end audio brands.

Hi guys, just come back from Ploenchit Centre - waste of time, absolutely nothing there due to refurbishment. Then checked out Amarin again and found Ilpa Shaw studio next to Image Audio - a Mark Levinson, Thiele and Burmester dealer.

Next to Image is KS World, but it's a bit scrappy inside...items been hanging around getting dusty for too long I think. They are a Quad dealer but no ESLs...BUT, their bigger sister branch on Ratchada apparently has both the 988s and 989s for demo! I'll head there soon and have a look in Fortune on the way. KS World also do Jeff Rowland amps, but hardly any choice. Again, hoping the branch on Ratchada is better.

Most ESLs don't do punchy or low bass, but apparently the new Quads and MLs are a revelation in terms of this whilst retaining the silky smoothe sound and 3D imaging. Apogee used to be high on my list too after I heard amazing rock sounds coming from Jeff Rowland monoblocks and an Apogee Centaur Minor at the London show a few years ago. Pretty sure there's no Thai importer for Apogee though. KS Sons with their McIntosh tubes look impressive, but not many other makes in there. Don't really know much about SACD, but keen to find out more!

Which Jeff Rowland models did you find at KS World in Amarin Plaza and at what price? Is KS World a distributor or just a dealer?

Aside from Mcintosh, I believe KS Sons is also a distributor/importer for Italian speaker Sonas Faber (I want their Cremona), Goldmund (Swiss, makes very high-end amps and CD Transport + D/A converter) and PASS famous for power amps (also very high-end). I think KS Sons have more Mcintosh models on display at a showroom in old BigC Bldg than in Amarin Plaza.

You're really into electrostatics, aren't you?

Edited by Nordlys

Hi Nordlys,

KS World is a distributor (family owned company under the Everest Thailand umbrella). The only Jeff Rowland products they had were the 201 monoblocs (smallest monos I've ever seen) and the Concerto integrated. And that's it! I'm looking at the 300 series, larger monoblocs and also maybe their old Series 6 power amps to compare to the Krells. Would also consider Chord (UK) but don't think I'll find them here.

Haven't actually heard of "PASS" before, and didn't know Goldmund (infamous for their cartridges) have turned digital either! I'm pretty keen to hear Sonus Fabers and Wilsons too and give them a good grilling alongside the Martin Logans :-) Wilsons are way over my budget though...as are the top of the range Fabers too I imagine! I've got Tannoys back home run off John Shearne amp and Teac VRDS-10 CD player, but since hearing electrostatics at a show I got interested. I've waited years for an upgrade which has always been at the back of my mind, so I shall relish choosing the new system.

Hi CarlBkk,

How much are they selling Jeff Rowland Model 201 power amps? Did they also have Concerto Pre to go along with 201? And how much for Concerto Integrated?

BTW B&W distributor is also an importer for Chord. I've seen Chord amplifiers at their showroom in Ploenchit Center. They don't seem to have small "choral" series though. I know it because I frequented myself at this showroom before deciding to buy an Aura amplifier from them 3 years ago, a model from when Aura was still a British brand under B&W. BTW how about LINN?

And as you might know, Wilson Audio also has a distributor in Thailand (don't know who). I've seen and listened to Wilson System 7 last year during the audio fair at Ambassador's hotel and fell in love with it, but yeah the price was something of B1.5 million Baht for a pair. But doesn't Jeff Rowland 300 series power amp cost just as much? And perhaps even more if you run it with JR pre amp?? Anyway they do have smaller Wilson speakers in B600 - 700K range too.

BTW do you have a room to run the system in Thailand whatever the model you're getting? If you live in a condo you will need sound insulation to your room otherwise your expensive sound system will be of little use for you. And you might also need a line conditioner if you live in a condo (or even a house). I have a cheap, B10,000+ Thai-made line conditioner and it does improve the sound quality quite a bit (more focus, more depth in accoustic field) that even my non-audiophile Thai wife can clearly tell the difference (even better if you upgrade your AC cable especially for CD player).

Edited by Nordlys

Hi Nordlys,

I didn't really get interested in prices of the Jeff Rowland amps due to their lack of choice (I'd want to pitch several amps together) but I'll find out more when I visit the branch on Ratchada. When I get prices here I always compare it to a) the dealer's price (so I know how much they can afford to discount!), :o the UK RRP, :D the USA RRP and c) the second-hand or Ebay price. So far the Martin Logans fare pretty well being cheaper than the UK and not that much more expensive than in the USA. I can say that the dealer here makes 30,000 baht per sale on average for these speakers.

They had Wilson at the show at Ambassador Hotel?!?! I didn't expect that. There was also a show at the D'Ma Hotel on Sukhumvit but I missed that one. They had Linn, Naim and Meridian at the show at the Emerald Hotel (not sure who the dealers are though) but although highly rated they're really only strong for subtle detailed Classical, Jazz and vocal music - I'd be pasting them with more than that, hence my interest in Krell etc.

Wilson's distributor is again KS World and you're probably right about JR series pre/powers costing nearly as much as Wilson Watt/Puppies, but I guess you've got to compare even what's over your budget to make sure you're happy with the value for money/sounds you're planning on getting within your budget.

The apartment will be new so I'm planning on getting some decent cabling, sockets and insulation put in during the build...and definitely a mains conditioner as you suggest - need that in Thailand! Also a nice marble rack to cut vibration. Another very important thing is carpet - have you listened to the same set-up with wood floors or sparse furnishings and then again in a carpeted room with a few sofas? The difference is incredible.

I am definately in agreement that room acoustics do so much.. In my opinion even super high end exotica can sound worse than a modest level set up spaced and damped correctly...

One day when I build my own pad getting the accoustics right will be a fun part of the job..

Nordlys,  I've got a demo arranged with Khun Wuti next week, so looking forward to hearing their Martin Logan Summit's with Krell set-up.  However, I do like my music punchy and fast so it'll be interesting to see how electrostatics cope (also considering the new raved-about Quad ESL 989s and B&W Nautilus from Gaysorn).

So, how did the demo go? Did you like the Martin Logan? And what model Krell did you listen to Martin Logan with? KAV400xi?

BTW how much do they sell Quad ESL988 for? And can you please check the prices on Jeff Rowland Model 201, Concerto Pre and Concentra Integrated when you go visit KS World and sons?

And keep us posted on what components you choose for your sound system. :o

Edited by Nordlys

Hi Nordlys, hoping to be able to go for a demo at the Ratchada outlet later this week, I want to check out all the shops/products before arranging the demos.

Don't worry I'll get all the prices for us and do the comparisons of the fore-mentioned equipment - looking forward to it! I'll post my opinions of the demos as soon as I have some. I definitely won't be rushing into a purchase (haven't even decided on the new apartment yet!) but I'm wary of the £ to Baht exchange rate (income is in the former) which is an influencing factor.

I definitely won't be rushing into a purchase (haven't even decided on the new apartment yet!) but I'm wary of the £ to Baht exchange rate (income is in the former) which is an influencing factor.

Last I talked to Khun Wuti of Image Audio (last year) he was talking about the possibility of now 30% import duty on AV appliances to be scrapped this year in accordance with WTO agreement or FTA agreement or something that I don't remember the detail of. But with the oil price soaring and the country now in trade deficit, that may not happen so soon in the future. Since you're from UK (I'm just assuming) and you're going there soon, ever considered shipping some of the audio equipments from there yourself since UK makes some of the finest audio components? There's a risk of not being able to receive the service from the importer here when in need but I would have definitely given it some thought if there's no voltage difference between my country (100W) and Thailand (don't want to use step down transformer which can potentially deteriorate sound quality). Some of the amp from my homeland (say, Accuphase) is almost 80% - 100% more expensive here than in Japan. Either way I would probably go for Krell KAV400xi next year not necessarily because it is my first choice product but I find Image Audio's pricing to be quite reasonable and I feel very confident and comfortable with their attention to customer care/service.

BTW I'd really recommend you listen to SACD before deciding on which CD player (or CD transport + D/A converter) to buy.

Edited by Nordlys

Also a nice marble rack to cut vibration.

Where can you find a marble rack??

Have you actually seen one sold in Thailand or will you have it custom made?

Also I'm looking for a pair of heavy, solid granite board to place speakers on (to cut the vibration and resonance through the floor). Ever seen one sold in Thailand?

Hi Nordlys,

I saw what looked like a marble rack in Image Audio, but it might have been granite! (It's mostly granite vibration-dampening plinths which are used for heavy monoblocs placed on the floor, although they "look" like marble right?). It's something worth looking into. Marble should be fantastic for vibration-dampening and inexpensive too, but getting the extra components supplied and fitted for a custom-made rack may be difficult.

never seen speaker plinths made from granite here in Thailand, but then again I haven't looked in many dealers yet. How would marble fare here? My guess is that it'd be just as good and much easier to find.

The import duty on electricals is 30%?! wow! Quite surprising that they seem to keep certain makes reasonably priced then I suppose. So far it seems that the American makes are actually cheaper in Thailand than in the UK, and the price tentatively given for the Quad 989s was exactly the same as the retail price in the UK...which is surprising (300,000 baht). However, I'll definitely check out the price differences between a few more UK-manufactured products. I would guess though that to import Quads, Meridians, Naims etc. would be at least 8000 baht in shipping + electrical import tax + port and agents fees, which would probably make them more expensive than buying here. However, if I could get BELOW RRP in UK it might make a difference (ex-demo?). Are there any products you want to check the price of when I go back?

Still haven't had time to have a demo, but I have checked out the new Hi-Fi Centre next to Big C: an impressive concept of 6 floors full of medium-high end stuff! I love it, but I'm sorry...I just can't see the place filling up with contented retailers for very long in this economic climate. I don't think there are that many audiophiles in Thailand anyway to satisfy the supply of these makes. The ground floor has a few shops open already, with the chap in the Accuphase telling me most of his customers are now foreign ex-pats! - and that can't be many! Some nice looking speakers in there by "Usher" (Taiwanese..never heard of them). The shop just near it had a marble (I think) floor-plinth usable for speakers!

The B&W shop is nice, had a demo of some Nautilus' through a Bee Gees DVD (which possibly formed my opinion before the first note!). The sound wasn't that impressive. The 802s are 368,000 baht so I'll find out the Uk price. Amazing looking speakers with a few awards under their belt.

They also do some Meridian (and stock the fantastic DB6000 active speakers), NRC (Nakamichi hi-end series), Chord (will compare prices) and Classe (didn't see any there though) plus a few others. Looking forward to seeing what shops open in the next few weeks.

No Krell or Martin Logans in the vicinity yet though, although I've seen an ad for "Audio Excellence" somewhere near Silom which I'll take a look in - they do both.

Interested in SACD...can you recommend a few machines or any info on it/the titles available?

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by CarlBkk

Hi Carl,

Yes, that was the state the building was in when I visited there about six months ago, rather deserted for an audio mall. No showroom worth visiting other than Accuphase and Mcintosh + Sonas Faber importer outlets. However, that doesn't mean most US and European (and Japanese) high-end brands are not represented/distributed in Thailand. You might want to buy and check one of those Thai audiophile magazines (I forgot the names but there are 2 or 3) that they sell at any book stores. The fact there exists such magazines in Thailand gave me an impression that the high-end audio market here actually isn't that small for a country with Thailand's scale of economy. You will find advertisements of some of the brands that you probably didn't know they existed in Thailand with the address and phone # for you to contact. I bought my Marantz SACD player from an importer in China town and I wasn't even aware Marantz are distributed in Thailand until I visited their booth during an audio fair/exhibition at Ambassador Hotel some 3 years ago. Never seen their product in display anywhere until I visited their shop/showroom in "tuk taew" (shop house) in China town. So just because you don't find certain brands you're looking for at Ploenchit Center, Amarin Plaza or old Big C building doesn't necessarily mean they don't exist in Thailand.

As for me, I'm looking for Swedish Bradelius amp. Would appreciate letting me know if you find a distributor in Thailand but it's a rather new brand and probably not in LOS yet., though I believe it's a matter of time an importer/distributor will be appointed in Thailand.

As to the SACD, like I wrote in previous post, not all titles are available in Thailand (and not all music titles released into CD are available as SACD, heard there are about 3,000 SACD titles available as of early this year and increasing). Where you get the best selection of SACD titles in Thailand is probably "DECO home entertainment" (LYNN distributor) which has outlets in Emporium, Amarin Plaza, Siam Discovery and soon-to-be Siam Paragon. I have about 30 - 40 SACD titles and I probably bought half my SACDs at DECO. The rest from amazon.com or Japanese amazon and at music shops in Japan. Aside from amazon.com, here are some of the sites you can order SACD through internet (never ordered one through these shops myself though).

http://www.sa-cd.net/home

http://store.accousticsounds.com/

What is your budget for CD player? I would say lower it is, better you go for SACD player. Some brands like LYNN makes universal player that can play not only CD & SACD but DVD-audio and DVD-video too. Some SACD titles with "SACD 5.1 channel" and " STEREO Multi-ch" markings can be played in 6 channels (5.1 surround) if you have multi-channel-ready SACD player like my Marantz (you also need multi-channel amp). If money is no object you can go for British dCS, EMM Lab, Esoteric, (or B300K Krell CD/SACD player) but if less than B100K, I would go for Marantz amongst what's available in Thailand (SA8400, SA15S1 or more than B100K SA11S1). DENON is also known to make good SACD player but they have more of DVD-audio player line ups in Thailand than SACD players, and DENON is simply way overpriced compared to their price in Japan (almost double, I don't even bother checking their price anymore).

If you can't find any showroom you can try SACD, you are welcome to come listen in my condo. I don't have a high-end audio set like you're set out for, but you probably can tell the difference even with my not-so high-end set. When you listen to SACD for demo, make sure you ask the shop owner to turn the "filter" on SACD from "standard" to "custom", otherwise it maybe hard to tell the difference (if they can allow you to do that or it could damage amp and speakers). BTW all SACD player can play conventional CD and most SACD can be played on conventional CD player too as long as it is two-layers, SACD/CD hybrid disc with "PLAYS ON SACD & CD PLAYERS" sticker attached (which most SACDs are).

Good luck with your search on audio components. :o

(and sorry for a long post)

Edited by Nordlys

Hi Nordlys, don't worry long posts are good if they're about hi-fi :-)

Interesting about the slow progress of the Hi-Fi Centre. I know I've seen a store FULL of Marantz recently (not in Chinatown) but can't remember where now! Yes, I pick through the Thai hi-fi mags sometimes and managed to find another Krell dealer called Audio Excellence somewhere near Silom - I got excited until I realised they printed their fax number instead of their tel. number :o

I'll get a few UK hi-fi magazines brought over soon when my folks visit to try and catch up with new products. Haven't heard of the Bradelius amp, seems neither Google has too! Will keep my eyes open though.

Thanks for the info on SACD players - I'll look around and then maybe ask you for a demo! Just checking e-bay and they have a Krell SACD player up there for £2500 with a link to their shop in Singapore. The shop looks a mess (www.soundrealms.com) but possibly good for purchase 2nd hand equipment if you know what you're after. I had another thought....Singapore must have its fair share of hi-end stores - it might be worth comparing prices there too.

I'll never get any work done :D

Edited by CarlBkk

Local speaker and SE EL34 amp manufacturer

http://www.norh.com/

and more on the valve (tube) front here

http://www.sacthailand.com/

or perhaps kits from Hong Kong

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/ this supplier has been well featured in the UK mag HiFi World.

When I eventually retire to los I hope to bring over my Magneplanar SMGa speakers, will the humidity be a problem ?

Thanks tso, will check out all of those links. 3am now and if I continue with hi-fi research it'll soon be daylight I know it!

I don't see a problem with your Mags...I'd be more worried about them being bashed around (they're not so sturdy) and of whether the Thai customs man is in a good mood or not. Do you have them driven with a nice valve amp?

Carl

Hi Carl,

Yes, that was the state the building was in when I visited there about six months ago, rather deserted for an audio mall.  No showroom worth visiting other than Accuphase and Mcintosh + Sonas Faber importer outlets. However, that doesn't mean most US and European (and Japanese) high-end brands are not represented/distributed in Thailand.  You might want to buy and check one of those Thai audiophile magazines (I forgot the names but there are 2 or 3) that they sell at any book stores.  The fact there exists such magazines in Thailand gave me an impression that the high-end audio market here actually isn't that small for a country with Thailand's scale of economy.  You will find advertisements of some of the brands that you probably didn't know they existed in Thailand with the address and phone # for you to contact.  I bought my Marantz SACD player from an importer in China town and  I wasn't even aware Marantz are distributed in Thailand until I visited their booth during an audio fair/exhibition at Ambassador Hotel some 3 years ago.  Never seen their product in display anywhere until I visited their shop/showroom in "tuk taew" (shop house) in China town.  So just because you don't find certain brands you're looking for at Ploenchit Center, Amarin Plaza or old Big C building doesn't necessarily mean they don't exist in Thailand. 

As for me, I'm looking for Swedish Bradelius amp.  Would appreciate letting me know if you find a distributor in Thailand but it's a rather new brand and probably not in LOS yet., though I believe it's a matter of time an importer/distributor will be appointed in Thailand. 

As to the SACD, like I wrote in previous post, not all titles are available in Thailand (and not all music titles released into CD are available as SACD, heard there are about 3,000 SACD titles available as of early this year and increasing).  Where you get the best selection of SACD titles in Thailand is probably "DECO home entertainment" (LYNN distributor) which has outlets in Emporium, Amarin Plaza, Siam Discovery and soon-to-be  Siam Paragon.  I have about 30 - 40 SACD titles and I probably bought half my SACDs at DECO.  The rest from amazon.com or Japanese amazon and at music shops in Japan.  Aside from amazon.com, here are some of the sites you can order SACD through internet (never ordered one through these shops myself though). 

http://www.sa-cd.net/home

http://store.accousticsounds.com/

What is your budget for CD player?  I would say lower it is, better you go for SACD player.  Some brands like LYNN makes universal player that can play not only CD & SACD but DVD-audio and DVD-video too.  Some SACD titles with "SACD 5.1 channel" and " STEREO Multi-ch" markings can be played  in 6 channels (5.1 surround) if you have multi-channel-ready SACD player like my Marantz (you also need multi-channel amp).  If money is no object you can go for British dCS, EMM Lab, Esoteric, (or B300K Krell CD/SACD player) but if less than B100K, I would go for Marantz amongst what's available in Thailand (SA8400, SA15S1 or more than B100K SA11S1).  DENON is also known to make good SACD player but they have more of DVD-audio player line ups in Thailand than SACD players, and DENON is simply way overpriced compared to their price in Japan (almost double, I don't even bother checking their price anymore). 

If you can't find any showroom you can try SACD,  you are welcome to come listen in my condo.  I don't have a high-end audio set like you're set out for, but you probably can tell the difference even with my not-so high-end set.  When you listen to SACD for demo, make sure you ask the shop owner to turn the "filter" on SACD from "standard" to "custom", otherwise it maybe hard to tell the difference (if they can allow you to do that or it could damage amp and speakers).  BTW all SACD player can play conventional CD and most SACD can be played on conventional CD player too as long as it is two-layers, SACD/CD hybrid disc with "PLAYS ON SACD & CD PLAYERS" sticker attached (which most SACDs are). 

Good luck with your search on audio components. :o

(and sorry for a long post)

I'm more of a home theatre enthusiast, but my Pioneer DVS969 HDMI DVD player also plays SACD.I have a few titles, I'll never go back to 44KHZ CD again !

Thanks tso, will check out all of those links.  3am now and if I continue with hi-fi research it'll soon be daylight I know it!

I don't see a problem with your Mags...I'd be more worried about them being bashed around (they're not so sturdy) and of whether the Thai customs man is in a good mood or not.  Do you have them driven with a nice valve amp?

Carl

A 1963 Leak Stereo 20 (12w Brit amp) all components upgarded, to high spec, paper-in-oil caps, Holco resistors etc but still the original transformers. Unfortunately no Black Gate caps. Drives the Maggies beautifully and great on rock. I can't see how I can go back to box speakers.

Hi Carl,

Yes, I pick through the Thai hi-fi mags sometimes and managed to find another Krell dealer called Audio Excellence somewhere near Silom - I got excited until I realised they printed their fax number instead of their tel. number  :o

Believe Audio Excellence is the importer/distributor of Krell products (and others) and belongs to Khun Wuti. So if you've already been to Image Music and Film and met Khun Wuti, no need to bother with Audio Excellence. I think his business card shows names of both Image Music and Film (dealer, showroom) and Audio Excellence.

I'll get a few UK hi-fi magazines brought over soon when my folks visit to try and catch up with new products.  Haven't heard of the Bradelius amp, seems neither Google has too!  Will keep my eyes open though.

Sorry. it is "Bladelius", not "Bradelius".

http://www.bladelius.com/

Thanks for the info on SACD players - I'll look around and then maybe ask you for a demo!  Just checking e-bay and they have a Krell SACD player up there for £2500 with a link to their shop in Singapore.  The shop looks a mess (www.soundrealms.com) but possibly good for purchase 2nd hand equipment if you know what you're after.  I had another thought....Singapore must have its fair share of hi-end stores - it might be worth comparing prices there too.

If I'm going for Krell, I'd just get a new one from the Image and not risk getting 2nd hand from overseas. As you know well, unlike others his price is quite reasonable (and seems very committed to after-sales service). I would not risk myself not being able to receive repair service unless the price difference is significant.

Leak's always been a classic, consigned to legendary status together with Garrard and a few others (way before my time of course :o ). Surprised the maggies and Leak is good with rock though...I thought it would have been bought for strong vocals so that's interesting.

I think you guys have convinced me to opt for SACD - if I'm going to spend good money on new amps and electrostatics (after hearing them I won't go back to boxes either) I might as well go for SACD. Lindemann have apparently produced the finest SACD player so far.

Scandinavian design is very minimalist - the Bladelius amp is no exception...what price tag does that have?

Scandinavian design is very minimalist - the Bladelius amp is no exception...what price tag does that have?

About the same as Krell KAV400xi, but that is in Sweden. I'm sure it'll be much higher when it lands in Thailand.

How about speaker cables? Which speaker cable are you thinking of getting for your audio set? I have two pairs of US-made alpha core copper cables (two pairs for bi-wiring) that I bought for B3,500 a pair when my budget was low and now comtemplating replacing. Transparent and MIT looks nice but even the cheapest one they have seems way over my budget. Any good idea for speaker cable in LOS for no more than B15K a pair (with or w/o banana plug)? I wonder if they have Swiss (or Danish) Ortofon cables in Thailand.