Thailand Declares Martial Law In South

george

Thailand declares martial law in restive south as bombs explode

BANGKOK - Two bombs exploded in southern Thailand's Pattani province after the government clamped martial law there on Monday following a deadly arms heist and arson attack.

'We will now enforce our martial law to search for the weapons,' Interior Minister Wan Muhamad Nor Mata told reporters, referring to the more than 100 assault rifles stolen in a pre-dawn Sunday raid by dozens of assailants who killed four soldiers and torched 18 schools.

The ruling affects the provinces of Narathiwat and Yala, which border Malaysia, as well as neighbouring Pattani province.

Shortly after the declaration of martial law, two bombs exploded in Pattani, killing one policeman and injuring several people, police said.

The first explosion occurred at a police box in a public park, killing a policeman and injuring another, a police official said on condition of anonymity.

The other explosion took place at a shopping mall in downtown Pattani, said another police officer, also speaking on condition of anonymity.

No other details were available.

The attacks were the worst acts of violence in southern Thailand since last July, when five policemen and a civilian were killed and three police officers were wounded by masked gunmen.

Several areas of the five southernmost provinces deemed among the least stable have been under nominal martial law for years, prompting regular criticism by religious leaders there.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra blamed Sunday's assault on 'professionals with experience in this kind of violence,' and maintained his line that bandits involved in arms smuggling were responsible.

But he also warned that outside influences were at work, citing Islamic militants, although he denied the gunmen were linked to separatists.

'There are connections with the outside, from Aceh (the restive Indonesian province),' Mr Thaksin said. 'The bandits are involved with Thailand and Malaysia .... Some of them are tied to mujahedin.'

Gun-running has long been a problem for Thai governments, but Mr Wan Muhamad stressed it has increased in recent months as the price of weapons has risen.

Mr Thaksin was reportedly furious at his interior minister for the security lapse, blaming poor relations between local communities and the authorities.

Deputy Prime Minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh on Sunday was quick to stress the attacks were not acts of international terrorism.

Thailand has been on the lookout for terrorist activity since authorities in June arrested four Muslims from the south who were suspected of being members of regional terror network Jemaah Islamiyah.

Mr Chavalit was nevertheless highly critical of Thailand's intelligence apparatus for failing to predict the attack on the army base.

Defence Minister Thammarak Issarangkun Na Ayutthaya said the attack was likely facilitated by a group of former army recruits who had knowledge of the arms depot. He said the camp's commander was quickly transferred.

Opposition leaders said Mr Thaksin had grossly underestimated the problem in the south.

'The government has approached the problem wrongly from the beginning,' Democrat Party chief adviser Chuan Leekpai said in the Nation newspaper.

'After an attack three years ago, Mr Thaksin said ... he was aware of all the problems in the south and would tackle them in three months. Now three years have come to pass,' he added.

A major manhunt was launched on Sunday, and Malaysia beefed up security along its border with Thailand after Thai police said the prime suspect had fled across the border.

In Narathiwat, educators expressed shock over the school burnings.

'Our morale is almost gone. All teachers who arrived at the scene wept,' Chuenjit Chokedee, an assistant director at the razed Muang Narathiwat school, told the Nation.

--Agencies 2004-01-05

Although I have no background nor any experience in gun-running I would make two observations.

1) My business sense tells me that those that have gun-running as an occupation would be best served to keep their activities out of the headlines...burning schools and bombing police just doesn't seem like a "means to an end" and offers little in way of return on investment.

2) This type of activity is more closely aligned with political and or religious agendas...seems consistent with this particular region of Thailand.

In any event it is very sad, both for the loss of life and the impact on the children.

Although I have no background nor any experience in gun-running I would make two observations.

1) My business sense tells me that those that have gun-running as an occupation would be best served to keep their activities out of the headlines...burning schools and bombing police just doesn't seem like a "means to an end" and offers little in way of return on investment.

2) This type of activity is more closely aligned with political and or religious agendas...seems consistent with this particular region of Thailand.

In any event it is very sad, both for the loss of life and the impact on the children.

I agree wholeheartedly with pfordice - it is a pleasure to see reasoned and sensible posts in this forum

eddieold :o

"This type of activity is more closely aligned with political and or religious agendas...seems consistent with this particular region of Thailand."

I might add that this type of activity has been occuring for over half a century in the same region. Actually closing the border during the martial law phase and performing a sweep throught the area (house to house search), in a civilized manner; no brutality, no violation of individual freedoms or rights, no overnight detention without charge, etc., will keep the people on the side of law and order. Violating rights gives the people no choice but to oppose the government.

I think that pfordice hit the nail on the head. It is indeed a tragedy, and the actions taken by the government now, determine the activities in the near future. Hopefully, the perpetrators are caught and punished, and that this wasn't facillitated by greasing palms.

I can't see much tourist activity in this are of the country happening now. A few more incidents like this, and last winters tourism turnout will start seeming like a good season,

:o

I am at a loss as to why the schools are a target. Why would anyone burn down a school? the shots on thai tv of the kids breaks your heart. one of the reasons i dont consider myself a christian is because of they seem to be able to do some pretty un-brotherly love type things to one another in the name of religion (and i'm assuming that this has a religious/political background, not gun running or gambling or whatever). so if i were of the same religous/political faith as those responsible i would question the whole belief system. its a tradgedy for the children and teachers, its devastating for everyone who relies on tourism, both from foreigners and thais.

Nam Kao.....we think those things but never never say them please !

Hey Chay.......you may be right.......religion is often used as an excuse for violence and repression. John Lennon was on the ball......."imagine......no religion too" !!

I was in Malaysia about three and a half years ago when some guys raided an army camp and killed a couple of soldiers before running off with guns into the jungle. The Malaysia army surrounded them and after a standoff, they gave themselves up. Sounds very similar to me, with what happenned in Thailand. Maybe the reason they burned the schools was to draw attention to political and religious tensions. WHoever it was may have thought that this would draw attention away from their efforts to take the guns out of the country to Sri Lanka or Aceh !!?? Whoever it was, whatever their reason, Thailand does not need them and hopefully will catch them soon.

Happy new Year !!

A sad state of affairs in a beautiful country, but unfortunately, I do feel that the Thai government is in a similar situation to those in many other countries. If terrorists choose to strike, I feel that there is very little that can be done to prevent such individuals following their aims. Just wish that I had the brain power to make one sensible suggestion that could lead to the world living in peace.

SAN TI PHAP SEUNG KAN LAE KAN

When the IRA had there bombing campaign on mainland UK they said the security forces had to get lucky every time they on the otherhand had to lucky just the once.

Terror to me and worrying about it is a bit like driving past a sign that says beware of avalanches or falling rocks, just what are you supposed to do?

Stay home,stay in bed?

Foget about it, just get on with your life.

From this string I am making an assumption that most agree it was not "Gun-Runners" that were responsible for the burning of the schools and the bombings? And, that this represents some form of "terrorism"...political or religious...and it is focused in this region?

I whole-heartedly agree that terrorism in any form cannot dictate our lives and I am aware that our opportunity to get run over by a bus, a motor bike, or by an irate taxi driver is probably greater than becoming a victim of terrorism but I still look both ways before crossing, pay a fair fare, and in certain situations, believe in Kevlar helmets and flack jackets. Why go into a combat zone if you don't want to fight...there are other places in Thailand that don't seem to have this as an issue.

Probably more important than the dialogue...Are there any reputable efforts for making contributions to the schools or family members of the slain (murdered) police officers where one can make donations?

Update:

Tourism groups fear long term of martial law

The tourism industry yesterday warned that visitor arrivals could plummet if enforcement of martial law in the Kingdom's three southernmost provinces was prolonged.

The industry was reacting to a Fourth Army Region order issued on Monday expanding its control under martial law to cover eight additional districts in Narathiwat, Pattani and Yala.

The order - handed down in response to a spate of violent attacks that has claimed the lives of six soldiers and policemen - resulted in complete military control over the three southern provinces. Previously the military maintained only partial control.

"The tourism industry is concerned that Sungai Kolok, a busy border crossing, is included under martial law," industry adviser Thepchai Ariyapanit said.

Although the industry agrees martial law is necessary to combat the suspected terrorists, prolonged enforcement would ruin businesses, said Thepchai.

A sharp decline in the number of Malaysian visitors entering Thailand via the Sungai Kolok checkpoint to celebrate the Chinese New Year later this month is anticipated, he said.

Ekkachai Sawangmeephan, former chairman of the Southern Tour Guides Association, said the prevailing doldrums in the tourism industry would likely be confined to the three border provinces, while Songkhla's Hat Yai would remain a popular destination.

Ekkachai expressed hope that prime minister's adviser General Kitti Rattanachaya, an old hand on southern security affairs, could find a lasting solution to violence in the South.

The Senate committee on military affairs yesterday issued a statement calling for calm and speedy restoration of normalcy in the South.

Senator Harn Leenanond said the government was on the right track in declaring martial law, and he urged human rights activists to allow troops time to restore peace.

Many ranking senators, including Prakiat Nasimna and Wicha Siritham, have expressed their support for martial law, saying they consider it the only way to fight terrorism.

--------------------------------

The Martial Law Act 1914

Article 4: When war or riots erupt in any area, a military commander at that place who has at least a battalion under his authority, or an immediate military superior at any military fort or garrison, has the right to impose martial law, but the commander must report the decision to impose martial law to the government as soon as possible.

Article 8: Military officers have authority to search, mobilise, ban, seize, reside in, damage or change the tambons, districts or regions under martial law, or expel any person from tambons, districts or regions.

--Bangkok Post 2004-01-08

There are a lot of targets the gun-runners could have attacked to distract the military and police. Burning down schools is utterly disgusting and I feel terrible for those poor kids and their teachers. If Thaksin moves in and wipes out 2000 gun-runners, separatists and their troops I don't think too many people will object.

Cheers!

Guest ka1234
If Thaksin moves in and wipes out 2000 gun-runners, separatists and their troops I don't think too many people will object.

If the gun-runners he wipe out really are gun-runners. But if they are people who happen do be disliked by some police major or captain with a trigger happy finger it is not a nice move.

Who knows how many of the 2000 drug dealers that was never given a trial were really drug dealers? Could it be that a few others (uncomfortable or just not popular with some police major or police captain) ended up on the shit list anyway and got executed.

Some families of executed "drug runners" insist that their family members had nothing to do with drugs.

I guess there is no way to find out who is telling the truth, but it is definitely more risky to just execute all on a "suspect" list than to gather evidence, arrest and prosecute them.

I think that the targets of oppression are carefully made. In war there will ALWAYS be civilian casualties. We are fighting an enemy that targets civilians. The sooner that enemy is take out the few civilians will be injured. War is ugly but we just can't sit back and watch the world be attacked......

My heart goes out to people who suffer loses. I can tell you that seeing a buddy get his head blown off will change your life forever. Watching an eight year old

carring a remotely detonated bomb will forever change your life. Being killed by a terrorist thug will forever change your life. We need to remove the terrorist from the entire world! I know that the forces of peace will cause many many many fewer civilian casualities that the opressing terrorists. Remember, No terrorists will me NO civilian casualties. I blame the peole who die from friendly fire on those who cause the fire, the terrorists!

Some good observations here! I agree that the choice of schools as a diversionary tactic sounds more like terrorists than gunrunners. As for responding to terrorism by getting on with our lives, I couldn't agree more! Much to my embarassment my own country has responded to terrorism with fear and paranoia. While I think that overthrowing the Taliban was a very good idea that I supported 100%, the actions of the current US administration since then have caused more grief to their own citizens than to Al Queda.

Extremists always seem to target schools, whether they are Christian fundamentalists in the US or Islamic fundamentalists here. A secular school system is always a threat to religious extremists.

In my opinion,which I share rather than push on folk, strictly to see their different points of views,in a meek manner,mind you...

I feel the economies of the world are under seige.Gun runners?Why the nails to insure total destuction?I have read where a religious cleric on your side of the world has been jailed,yet his school remains open to teach his way of seeing things.I read where he could not be convicted as being part of the JI.I read where certain elements around the world are striving for a large Muslim state in your area.They need weapons and will kill,steal,and destroy to get their hands on them.I read where Indonesia is 88% Muslim.

I have read where there are those that would turn all Muslims into believing Jews and Americans are out to destroy them,if they could.There was a murderer captured in Thailand I think in August that has ties with these people,so I have read.This murderer and the cleric had ties with some that were involved in the attacks on 9-11 in the USA.

America has since budgeted 41 billion dollars for 2004 for Homeland Security,among many other billions of dollars being spent around the world to aid other countries to work together to help fight extremists.Other countries are having to cough up billions of dollars to fight these extremists.These funds are monies that were used to help do good things around the world,but we are now having to direct them to avert evil and protect governments.All these things I have read.We cannot believe all we read,but we can dig through the rubble and find what we feel to be truths or half-truths.

Non-Muslims are not trying to destroy Muslims.I refuse to sit on my mountaintop

and wait for Muslims to be destroyed.I will pray for them,as I pray for all humankind.

...as I pray for those of my own religion.

There is a difference in a diversion and an attack.As the economies of the world weaken,those trying to set up their own agendas become stronger.Poverty is a great place for recruitment.I pray the world will work together to weed out those that seek only to kill,steal,and destroy.If this is what they wish to build their new world on,then it will surely not stand against the powers of love in this world.Good luck over there,my friends.Be watchful,for the enemy is knocking on all our doors.

I will not blame Muslim extremists,as I have Islamic friends and we have no problems amongst ourselves.I will blame evil in the hearts of humankind.I pray the Muslim faith will not be brought down by a few extremist teachers that have not a clue.Maybe they have their own agenda and are using religion as a tool or an excuse?Who knows?