Help, I Need A "notary Public"

I have produced a DVD called "Reef Life of the Andaman" and I have agreed to license it to a company in Spain for 3 years for the newsstand market.

They are asking for a "certificate of origin" which must be signed by a "Notary Public" stating I have the rights to distribute the video etc..

The Notary Public "must be certified by the school of notaries or the consulate". I guess they mean the Spanish consulate, but I'm not sure.

Where can I find such a person? I live in Phuket.

Thanks,

Nick

Hey Nick,

I live in Phuket as well and needed a Notary for some legal docs. Anyway did a lot of searching and was told there aren't any....at least in Phuket.....about the emabasssies probably good advice above. I did get my signatures legally witnessed though for said paper work by a Thai attorney in Chalong. She had a couple of impressive stamp/seals and these were accepted in the USA.....She said she did this quite a bit as there were no Notarys in Phuket and in fact she didn't think Thailand recognized them????? Anyway, good luck and if you find one let us know....

I have produced a DVD called "Reef Life of the Andaman" and I have agreed to license it to a company in Spain for 3 years for the newsstand market.

They are asking for a "certificate of origin" which must be signed by a "Notary Public" stating I have the rights to distribute the video etc..

The Notary Public "must be certified by the school of notaries or the consulate". I guess they mean the Spanish consulate, but I'm not sure.

Thanks,

Nick

They'll probably accept a notorization from your own Embassy or Consulate. Where are you from ? Spain has no Consulate in HKT so it'd be there Embassy in BKK.

Thanks,

Nick

They'll probably accept a notorization from your own Embassy or Consulate. Where are you from ? Spain has no Consulate in HKT so it'd be there Embassy in BKK.

Thanks for the replies. I am from the UK and there is no UK consulate in Phuket either.

Would it be better to approach the UK embassy (where I'm from) or the Spanish embassy (where the customer is from)?

This does seem a bit silly. Even if there was a notary here, how would I prove to them that all the video is mine?

Nick

Thanks,

Nick

Thanks for the replies. I am from the UK and there is no UK consulate in Phuket either.

Would it be better to approach the UK embassy (where I'm from) or the Spanish embassy (where the customer is from)?

This does seem a bit silly. Even if there was a notary here, how would I prove to them that all the video is mine?

Nick

That just might prove difficult.

Odd I went to Khun Joy (well known lawyer around Patong) and she could not perform this service but called in the services of a man that could.. 600 baht to him and kept the people who needed it happy...

I understand that the lawers around Tornado's office might well be able to sort this out also..

Quite often the list of who may sign a document to prove that it is a 'true copy' is quite a long one.. I have had one of the Pol Chiefs do it in the past for a banking mandate.. Just signed the paper and I wrote thier name in roman script.

Thanks,

Nick

If the "certificate of origin" has been legalised by a Public Notary, it should have the "Apostille of the Haya" (it is an official stamp). The Spanish can be very awkard about this.

In therory the Spanish Embassy are there to serve Spanish Citizens only. I would ring both the UK and Spanish Embassy and proceed from there.

Thailand does not have Notary Public's.

Incorrect - i had a load of documents endorsed by a Notary Public here in Krabi just this week - I even have a copy of the guy's certificate (and sighted the original) for his membership. The documents would not be endorsed by the Malaysian Consulate if they were not already endorsed by a Notary Public.

I would check with the Law Society of Thailand for a list - i certainly know of at least one in Phuket.

• 1 year later...
Thailand does not have Notary Public's.

Incorrect - i had a load of documents endorsed by a Notary Public here in Krabi just this week - I even have a copy of the guy's certificate (and sighted the original) for his membership. The documents would not be endorsed by the Malaysian Consulate if they were not already endorsed by a Notary Public.

I would check with the Law Society of Thailand for a list - i certainly know of at least one in Phuket.

If you are looking for a Notarial Services Attorney in Bangkok, Pattaya or Chiang Mai, we’d like to introduce you to Sunbelt Asia Legal Advisors.

We have six lawyers in our firm whose function it is to administer oaths, to attest and to certify, by his or her hand and official seal, certain classes of documents, in order to give them credit and authenticity in Thailand or a foreign jurisdiction.

In order to administer oaths and attest to the authenticity of signatures in Thailand, or to confirm copies of orginals, a Thai lawyer must be licensed by the Lawyers Council of Thailand and receive the certification to be a notary.

Sunbelt Asia Legal, under the supervision of Ms. Plyaphan Pongtiabrit, Office Manager and Senior Attorney (LLM. International Trade) has been certified by the Notarial Services Attorney to certify signatures and documents, and is licensed under certificate number 2762/2549. Five other licensed lawyers in our firm have also received certification to perform the same duties.

We feel being a notary should be a community service and that is why Sunbelt’s professional fees for this service are the lowest in Thailand. You'll find most firms charge a minimum 1,000 Baht or higher. Our professional fee however is 350 baht plus 7% Vat for the official certification seal and the lawyer’s attestation.

Sunbelt Asia Legal Advisors is a law firm established for five years. Our offices are at Fortune Town, 26th Fl., Ratchadaphisek Road, Dindaeng District, Bangkok, 10400, Thailand.

Tel: 02-642-0213

MRT Subway: Phra Ram 9 (Rama 9) Station.

OR: Enquire at our branch next to Times Square, Sukhumvit Road (opposite Robinson Department Store).

BTS SkyTrain: Asoke Station.

MRT Subway: Sukhumvit Station.

We are open for all kinds of legal consultation as well as the attestation of authenticity of signatures and documents. Office hours: Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. (Sundays and public holidays closed).

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Sunbelt, so, basically, in Bangkok no need to have documents notarized by the US Embassy anymore as your people can do this, correct?

Thanks,

The USA Commercial Services in Bangkok will accept copies of USA passports from Americans that our notary lawyers have certified it to be a true copy.

The USA Embassy charges 1,200 Baht so this is a nice savings for each notorized copy required.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

My firm has a couple of notary publics on hand too. I've used them.

Also, most embassies will offer the same service.

Up to now, many of us (Americans) have been led to believe that we had to use the US Embassy to notarize documents to be sent to US government agencies. While that didn't make sense, since in the US you can get signatures notarized at just about anywhere, when doing these things from Thailand you don't want to make a mistake. Hence, when you go to the window at the US Embassy for notary services, there is normally a line of people waiting, regardless of the cost and time spent waiting.

I am aware that some of the major law firms provide these services, but I thought that was only for documents they, themselves, drew up. However, if that is not the case and we can get signatures notarized at several places that are acceptable for US government purposes, that would be very useful info for a lot of us to know.

Sunbelt, so, basically, in Bangkok no need to have documents notarized by the US Embassy anymore as your people can do this, correct?

Thanks,

The USA Commercial Services in Bangkok will accept copies of USA passports from Americans that our notary lawyers have certified it to be a true copy.

The USA Embassy charges 1,200 Baht so this is a nice savings for each notorized copy required.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Thanks. Very useful info.

My understanding is, and has been for many years that Thailand is NOT a signatory of the "Council of Notaries" protocol. however, the Lawyers Council Of Thailand did introduce a course in 2003 to provide for the administration of oaths and to attest to the authenticity of signatures. This course is limited to a lawyer currently licensed by the Lawyers Council of Thailand to practice law.

A lawyer having passed this course would be able to provide certification of same, which in addition to a current valid licence to practice, such applied certification {stamps & seals} would be viewed as equivalent to a notary, even though such a designation has no formal meaning in Thia law.

Confused.... TIT

Regards

/edit spelling//

Edited by A_Traveller

My understanding is, and has been for many years that Thailand is NOT a signatory of the "Council of Notaries" protocol. however, the Lawyers Council Of Thailand did introduce a course in 2003 to provide for the administration of oaths and to attest to the authenticity of signatures. This course is limited to a lawyer currently licensed by the Lawyers Council of Thailand to practice law.

A lawyer having passed this course would be able to provide certification of same, which in addition to a current valid licence to practice, such applied certification {stamps & seals} would be viewed as equivalent to a notary, even though such a designation has no formal meaning in Thia law.

Confused.... TIT

Regards

/edit spelling//

This is a sample of what the notary stamp in Thailand looks like...

post-2725-1173265327_thumb.jpg

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Confused.... TIT

Regards

/edit spelling//

Excellent summary. Yes, this is exactly the service the firm I work for provides and this is the qualification a few of our guys have. So, while george was technically correct with his comment, this service is pretty much the same.

I've used it twice. One for amending my will, held with my lawyer in NZ and one to give power of attorney to my ex so that she could operate on our joint behalf in a recent property sale in NZ.

• 5 months later...
If you are looking for a Notarial Services Attorney in Bangkok, Pattaya or Chiang Mai, we’d like to introduce you to Sunbelt Asia Legal Advisors.

We have six lawyers in our firm whose function it is to administer oaths, to attest and to certify, by his or her hand and official seal, certain classes of documents, in order to give them credit and authenticity in Thailand or a foreign jurisdiction.

In order to administer oaths and attest to the authenticity of signatures in Thailand, or to confirm copies of orginals, a Thai lawyer must be licensed by the Lawyers Council of Thailand and receive the certification to be a notary.

Sunbelt Asia Legal, under the supervision of Ms. Plyaphan Pongtiabrit, Office Manager and Senior Attorney (LLM. International Trade) has been certified by the Notarial Services Attorney to certify signatures and documents, and is licensed under certificate number 2762/2549. Five other licensed lawyers in our firm have also received certification to perform the same duties.

We feel being a notary should be a community service and that is why Sunbelt’s professional fees for this service are the lowest in Thailand. You'll find most firms charge a minimum 1,000 Baht or higher. Our professional fee however is 350 baht plus 7% Vat for the official certification seal and the lawyer’s attestation.

Sunbelt Asia Legal Advisors is a law firm established for five years. Our offices are at Fortune Town, 26th Fl., Ratchadaphisek Road, Dindaeng District, Bangkok, 10400, Thailand.

OR: Enquire at our branch next to Times Square, Sukhumvit Road (opposite Robinson Department Store).

We are open for all kinds of legal consultation as well as the attestation of authenticity of signatures and documents. Office hours: Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. (Sundays and public holidays closed).

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

I am looking for

a) a certification of a copy of my passport (actually 3 such copies), and

:o a proof of address (bank statement or utility bill were given as examples, but maybe something else will do too)

These are documents needed by a banks in the Isle of Man where I want to open a savings account. I wonder if your firm can help with both, or just the passport copy certification? If you can do both, or even just the first, please give me your firm's contact address in Chiang Mai? (I hope to be in Chiang Mai in a fortnight).

Look forward to your reply.

• 1 year later...

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Great news. I am in Chiang Mai and need to get my signature witnessed for some Canadian mortgage documents right away.

I held a legal mortgage, for my daughter, who bought one of my houses a few years ago. Now she got a mortgage from one of the banks and is paying me out. I need to sign off on the paperwork and have it witnessed by a Notary.

Where are you located in Chiang Mai and what is your phone number? I live in Chiang Dao and will come and see you as soon as I receive the paperwork.

Thanks

Kurt

• 2 years later...
<br />
Thailand does not have Notary Public's.<br /><div align="right"></div>
<br /><br /><br />Incorrect - i had a load of documents endorsed by a Notary Public here in Krabi just this week - I even have a copy of the guy's certificate (and sighted the original) for his membership. The documents would not be endorsed by the Malaysian Consulate if they were not already endorsed by a Notary Public.<br /><br />I would check with the Law Society of Thailand for a list - i certainly know of at least one in Phuket.<br />
<br /><br />If you are looking for a Notarial Services Attorney in Bangkok, Pattaya or Chiang Mai, we'd like to introduce you to Sunbelt Asia Legal Advisors.<br /><br />We have six lawyers in our firm whose function it is to administer oaths, to attest and to certify, by his or her hand and official seal, certain classes of documents, in order to give them credit and authenticity in Thailand or a foreign jurisdiction.<br /><br />In order to administer oaths and attest to the authenticity of signatures in Thailand, or to confirm copies of orginals, a Thai lawyer must be licensed by the Lawyers Council of Thailand and receive the certification to be a notary. <br /><br />Sunbelt Asia Legal, under the supervision of Ms. Plyaphan Pongtiabrit, Office Manager and Senior Attorney (LLM. International Trade) has been certified by the Notarial Services Attorney to certify signatures and documents, and is licensed under certificate number 2762/2549. Five other licensed lawyers in our firm have also received certification to perform the same duties. <br /><br />We feel being a notary should be a community service and that is why Sunbelt's professional fees for this service are the lowest in Thailand. You'll find most firms charge a minimum 1,000 Baht or higher. Our professional fee however is 350 baht plus 7% Vat for the official certification seal and the lawyer's attestation. <br /><br />Sunbelt Asia Legal Advisors is a law firm established for five years. Our offices are at Fortune Town, 26th Fl., Ratchadaphisek Road, Dindaeng District, Bangkok, 10400, Thailand.<br />Tel: 02-642-0213<br />MRT Subway: Phra Ram 9 (Rama 9) Station.<br /><br />OR: Enquire at our branch next to Times Square, Sukhumvit Road (opposite Robinson Department Store).<br />BTS SkyTrain: Asoke Station.<br />MRT Subway: Sukhumvit Station.<br /><br />We are open for all kinds of legal consultation as well as the attestation of authenticity of signatures and documents. Office hours: Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. (Sundays and public holidays closed).<br /><br />www.sunbeltasiagroup.com<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Having been disturbed by the price of getting a document notarized at the US Consulate, I sought out an alternative option, and so I decided to call Sunbelt upon discovering them in this thread. The person who answered the phone spoke a reasonable amount of English, but it did take several minutes for her to understand that I wanted a document notarized, or at least to come to the conclusion that she wasn't able to understand me, and so transferred me to someone else, whereupon i was told that Sunbelt does not offer that service directly, but that a lawyer working for Sunbelt does. To my dismay, i was quoted a price of 1500 Baht per signature, a figure, since comparable to that which the Consulate lists, which i could only spurn when considering the seals legitimacy compared to that of the Consulates.

Hence, tomorrow I will go to the Consulate.