African Animal Deal May Tarnish Thai Image

george

African animal deal may tarnish Thai image, committee warns

BANGKOK: -- Thailand should reconsider its wildlife agreement regarding the importation of African wildlife from Kenya as it may hurt the country's international image, a parliamentary committee warned Tuesday.

The Thai-Kenyan wildlife deal is opposed by the private sector and NGOs in Kenya and other countries, said Narit Kamnurak, deputy chairman of the House Committee on Natural Resource and Environment.

Mr. Narit, a Democrat MP, speaking on behalf of the committee which met Tuesday, asked the Prime Minister to reconsider the importation of 175 wild animals of 20 species to be showcased at the Chiang Mai Night Safari.

The Thai government should review the deal to ensure that its plan to import Kenyan wildlife is being done for study and conservation under the terms of the convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).

If international groups view the arrangement as being commercial trade of wildlife, it can tarnish the country's image, Mr. Narit explained.

The Committee also expressed its concern that Thailand hasn't designated more wetlands in Thailand for three years--a matter of serious concern to a number of countries, according to Mr. Narit.

If Thailand ignores this, it may impact both on Thailand's trade and the bid of Deputy Prime Minister Surakiart Sathirathai for the post of UN Secretary-General, the Committee warned, he said.

The Convention on Wetlands, which Thailand endorsed in 1971, is an intergovernmental treaty which provides the framework for national action and international cooperation for the conservation and the wise use of wetlands and their resources.

--TNA 2005-11-15

I think under international law they are breaking the rules by transporting them, CITES states that they should only be allowed to be sent if they are to be used for study and/or captive breading programs. If they are to be profited from it goes against the stipulations. I didn't know:

A) Entrance to Safari World will be free.

:o Chiang Mai was to become a special breeding zone for Afrika's wild animals.

I think under international law they are breaking the rules by transporting them, CITES states that they should only be allowed to be sent if they are to be used for study and/or captive breading programs.  If they are to be profited from it goes against the stipulations.  I didn't know:

Just as a point of Interest some of the animals are to be used in captive breeding programs,The Chiangmai Zoo has an excellent reputation worldwide in the zoo fraternity it ranks higher than any zoo in Australia and UK ,I know a lot of zoo,s and animal parks in thailand leave a lot to be desired, but there are zoos in so called civilised countries in a far worse state, as a retired Zoo curator I take a great interest in the developments in thai conservation and captive breeding programs, so lets give them a chance folks. Before criticising a project that has not got off the ground yet, take a walk around your local zoo, ignore the cute and cuddly factor and try and look behind them ,you will be quite shocked just give them a chance people.nignoy

I think under international law they are breaking the rules by transporting them, CITES states that they should only be allowed to be sent if they are to be used for study and/or captive breading programs.  If they are to be profited from it goes against the stipulations.  I didn't know:

Just as a point of Interest some of the animals are to be used in captive breeding programs,The Chiangmai Zoo has an excellent reputation worldwide in the zoo fraternity it ranks higher than any zoo in Australia and UK ,I know a lot of zoo,s and animal parks in thailand leave a lot to be desired, but there are zoos in so called civilised countries in a far worse state, as a retired Zoo curator I take a great interest in the developments in thai conservation and captive breeding programs, so lets give them a chance folks. Before criticising a project that has not got off the ground yet, take a walk around your local zoo, ignore the cute and cuddly factor and try and look behind them ,you will be quite shocked just give them a chance people.nignoy

If that's the case then I take back what I said. Maybe the Government would do better to explain more to the international community exactly what they are for, and let us all know that they do have breading programs planned.

It definatley is something that could make the country look bad, it has a bad enough name as it is for the illegal animal trade, if they actually plan to keep the animals for more than just profit then why not tell the world.

I havn't seen any mention of breeding programs for the animals in any news aticles on bbc, cnn, bangkok post or nation.

What are people who arn't in the know supposed to think.?

What exactly is the connection with the Chiang Mai Zoo? I have not seen them linked before but admit I have not been following what has always been touted as a money making tourist venture that closely.

If that's the case then I take back what I said. Maybe the Government would do better to explain more to the international community exactly what they are for, and let us all know that they do have breading programs planned.

It definatley is something that could make the country look bad, it has a bad enough name as it is for the illegal animal trade, if they actually plan to keep the animals for more than just profit then why not tell the world.

I havn't seen any mention of breeding programs for the animals in any news aticles on bbc, cnn, bangkok post or nation.

What are people who arn't in the know supposed to think.?

Why Tell the world , advertising successful captive breeding , is inviting international animal thieves and traders to come and steal your successes, without their active participation in animal smuggling many european zoos would be without any form of monkey ,ape or gorilla. The centre of animal smuggling is Belgium ,followed closely by germany, even now as a retiree , without any great difficulty ,if I was so inclined here in australia I could lay my hands on no end of protected species, believe me Most Zoo,s in the world turn a blind eye to the origin of endangered species on offer, the only questions asked are how much and when can you deliver, A couple of zoos tried to sue me because I named them in a book I wrote in 1989 which had a couple of chapters dealing with the large scale smuggel of exotic animals in europe, Nignoy

Chaing Mai Zoo is good, but have you seen some of the other??????????

AS i mentioned earlier on in the thread I am well aware of the appalling state of some of the other so called zoos in thailand, as many of them are privately run and not affiliated, try as we will there is not a lot we can do to improve them and believe me we have and will continuetrying, Nignoy

Chaing Mai Zoo is good, but have you seen some of the other??????????

AS i mentioned earlier on in the thread I am well aware of the appalling state of some of the other so called zoos in thailand, as many of them are privately run and not affiliated, try as we will there is not a lot we can do to improve them and believe me we have and will continuetrying, Nignoy

Again I ask what is the connection between this safari park and the Chiang Mai Zoo? Is the zoo running it or not. As today's papers highlight the wild animal cuisine to be served I hope not. :o