Australian Man Kills His Canadian Wife

sriracha john

Australian beats wife to death with a hammer in Bangkok

Published on Dec 23 , 2005

An Australian man was arrested Friday and charged with beating his Canadian wife to death with a hammer, Thai police said.

The arrest took place shortly after the body of Barbara Lynn Mceod, 61, was found dumped in bushes in a residential area of Bangkok, according to police Maj. Gen. Kosin Hintow.

Her husband, Stewart Keith Mceod, 44, went to police early Friday morning to report that his wife had left the house and not returned for several hours, saying that he was concerned both for her safety and his own.

Detecting suspicious behavior, police interrogated Mceod for several hours before he confessed to beating his wife to death with a hammer and disposing of her body in the bushes, Kosin said.

Mceod, an employee of True Corporation, a communications company, is in police custody pending trial, while the body of his wife has been sent to the Police Hospital for an autopsy, police said.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is harsh. I hope he'll get hammered, one way or another, in jail.

And as for the strange age difference "normally" being the other way around, do you still believe that younger women love old men for their ..... mind???? :o

Would you say it was a huge age difference if it were the other way round? Who is to say that she wasn't attractive? Look at Susan Sarandon, Demi Moore. Watch out guys. You oldies may find yourselves home alone more :o

Terrible story, amazing how they got him to confess so quickly tho, don't you think?

Would you say it was a huge age difference if it were the other way round? Who is to say that she wasn't attractive? Look at Susan Sarandon, Demi Moore. Watch out guys. You oldies may find yourselves home alone more :o

Terrible story, amazing how they got him to confess so quickly tho, don't you think?

I expect they did not sit down with tea and cookies.

More than likely they hammered him with questions . . .

Update:

Australian says he killed wife

BANGKOK: -- An Australian man allegedly pounded his Canadian wife to death with a hammer before dumping her body in the Sukhumvit area. The blood-stained body of Barbara Lynn McLeod, 61, a Canadian national, was found in a black plastic bag left behind a building on Sukhumvit Soi 20 around 8am yesterday.

Police said Stewart Keith McLeod, 44, an Australian national and husband of the victim, looked suspicious during questioning. They said Mr McLeod later confessed that he had hit his wife with a hammer during a bitter quarrel.

Before the victim's body was found, Mr McLeod yesterday tried to evade suspicion by pretending to file a complaint with police asking them to help search for his wife. He said Mrs McLeod had left their rented house in Sukhumvit Soi 20 to buy goods at a convenience store in a nearby hotel at 10pm. She had not returned or called him.

During questioning, police received a citizen's report that a dead body had been found at Sukhumvit Soi 20. Mr McLeod was taken to the scene.

Police became suspicious when Mr McLeod suddenly opened the bag and touched the head of the victim. Police searched his house and found blood stains in his bedroom, on the floor and on the stairs.

Facing such compelling evidence against him, Mr McLeod confessed to the murder and took police to fetch the hammer, which was hidden in his luggage. A bed sheet with blood stains was also found in the bags.

--Bangkok Post 2005-12-24

Australian expat arrested for bludgeoning wife to death

BANGKOK: -- An Australian man confessed yesterday to killing his Canadian wife with a hammer and attempting to cover it up by disposing of her body and filing a missing person’s report, police said. The body of Barbara Lynn McLeod, 61, was found dumped in bushes on Sukhumvit Soi 20 in Khlong Toei district yesterday morning.

Shortly after, her husband Stewart Keith McLeod, 44, an employee of True Corporation, reported to police that his wife had been missing since leaving their house on Thursday evening.

McLeod was later taken to identify his wife’s body, which was found about 200 metres away from their home.

During a search of McLeod’s two-storey house, police found traces of blood on the ground floor and more blood in a bedroom on the second floor. McLeod told police a thief might have broken into the house, killed his wife and dumped her body in the bushes.

After nearly an hour of interrogation, McLeod confessed that he and his wife had an argument that ended in his beating her to death with a hammer before disposing of her body in the bushes.

He later led police to a storage room where he had hidden the hammer, bloodstained pillowcases and bed sheet.

Police investigators said that the couple was planning to celebrate Christmas in Canada.

McLeod is in police custody pending trial on charges of premeditated murder, while his wife’s body has been sent for an autopsy.

Police said investigations revealed the incident might have stemmed from arguments over McLeod’s alleged involvement with a Thai woman.

--The Nation 2005-12-24

Police said investigations revealed the incident might have stemmed from arguments over McLeod’s alleged involvement with a Thai woman.

--The Nation 2005-12-24

Why does this come as no surprise..... :o

OOoooohhh terrible...

hang on a minute .. dont start blaming the thai women for this.. they get blamed for everything....

maybe when he met her he was around 30 and she was an attactive mid 40 year old?.... easy enough to understand at that point in time!

time took its toll as it always does and he....... well ...... just wanted to end the relationship...and things got out of hand - so to speak...

its about an ex pat who hammered his poor wife to death....

thailand the land of smiles... must be the most dangerous place for ex pat married couples to live on this planet!!..

amarka

--The Nation 2005-12-24

Why does this come as no surprise..... :o

OOoooohhh terrible...

hang on a minute .. dont start blaming the thai women for this.. they get blamed for everything....

maybe when he met her he was around 30 and she was an attactive mid 40 year old?.... easy enough to understand at that point in time!

time took its toll as it always does and he....... well ...... just wanted to end the relationship...and things got out of hand - so to speak...

its about an ex pat who hammered his poor wife to death....

thailand the land of smiles... must be the most dangerous place for ex pat married couples to live on this planet!!..

amarka

Good god, she was 17 years his senior.......and Canadian.

No wonder he bludgeoned her to death. I would have done the same.

MORE update:

Australian held over wife's Thai murder

Date: 24/12/05

A 44-year-old Australian man who allegedly beat his Canadian wife to death in Thailand says he has lost the light of his life.

Stewart Keith McLeod, originally from the NSW Mid North Coast, is being held at a Bangkok police station lock-up.

He faced a remand hearing and will later be transferred to a prison until the case comes to trial.

McLeod will face charges of murdering his 61-year-old Canadian-born wife, Barbara, in the early hours of Friday during a violent domestic fight at their Bangkok residence.

Both were working in the information technology (IT) industry in Asia over the past decade having met each other while working in Hong Kong before marrying.

They had been married for nine years.

McLeod, was a data base analyst with Thai telecommunications company, True Corporation, while his wife had also been employed as a consultant in the Thai telecom sector.

In an interview with AAP shortly after returning from court, McLeod spoke of his remorse over the incident saying he could remember arguing with his wife but "nothing else".

"I don't remember. There was an argument then I don't remember," he told AAP from behind bars at the local police station.

But in earlier interviews with police and officials McLeod had described events in graphic detail, officials said, allegedly telling how he had bludgeoned his wife to death over a period of 10 minutes of repeated beatings.

"It was a pretty heated argument," he said, but refused to say what had triggered the domestic fight.

"I guess I lost my temper. It was the first one in nine years," he allegedly said.

McLeod said while his work at True Corp was not that stressful, his wife's work had been.

"She had been working long hours and that makes it hard; we had had not much time together," he said.

Work colleagues who visited the police cells expressed shock by the tragic events.

"He was always very professional," said a Thai woman from True Corp who did not want to be identified.

Others IT industry professionals interviewed by AAP said Mrs McLeod was also popular.

"She's very good. People liked her a lot," said a 40-year old former employee of telecommunications company, Hutch.

Industry sources said friends of the couple had spoken to Barbara at about 8pm on Thursday night on the telephone but had to cut short the conversation as she was readying to go out for dinner.

In the early hours of Friday morning McLeod allegedly took the body and buried it in a shallow grave.

"I was shocked. I panicked. It was not like it was pre-meditated. Basically I tried to cover up (the murder)," he had said.

Later as part of his ruse he called acquaintances at Hutch seeking assistance to locate his wife. The friends had unsuccessfully tried to call her on her mobile.

"I don't think it's forgivable. If I could only take it back. But I can't. Ill be doing time, whatever it is, and I'll just have to live with it afterwards," police allege he had said.

He had also initially gone to the police station to lodge missing persons report. But while being interviewed police received a call that a body of a foreign women had been discovered in the area.

"I don't want to diminish (what had happened). Two people in a room, an argument and at the end of it one of them is dead," he said.

"In one night I managed to lose the lady ... the light of my life," he is alleged to have said.

"My life is over. I've hurt everybody I know," he said.

No date has been set for the trial.

Thai media reports said Thai police had searched the home and found bloodstains in the bedroom on the floor and the stairs.

The reports said McLeod confessed to the murder, taking police to where he hid the murder weapon, a hammer, in his luggage.

A blood-stained bed sheet was also recovered, the media reports said.

Copyright © 2005 AAP

Edited by sriracha john

or... Perhaps it was a Christmas present gone awry!

Maybe he'd planned to give her the hammer as a gift but during his clumsy demonstration of its correct usage, he failed to meet the benchmark which would have constituted a beneficial instruction method.

or perhaps he was justifiably upset that she had over a period of several months refused to learn how to spell their last name.

or, he'd recently discovered that she was in fact a planted spy from False Corporation

murph

Australian beats wife to death with a hammer in Bangkok

Published on Dec 23 , 2005

An Australian man was arrested Friday and charged with beating his Canadian wife to death with a hammer, Thai police said.

The arrest took place shortly after the body of Barbara Lynn Mceod, 61, was found dumped in bushes in a residential area of Bangkok, according to police Maj. Gen. Kosin Hintow.

Her husband, Stewart Keith Mceod, 44, went to police early Friday morning to report that his wife had left the house and not returned for several hours, saying that he was concerned both for her safety and his own.

Detecting suspicious behavior, police interrogated Mceod for several hours before he confessed to beating his wife to death with a hammer and disposing of her body in the bushes, Kosin said.

Mceod, an employee of True Corporation, a communications company, is in police custody pending trial, while the body of his wife has been sent to the Police Hospital for an autopsy, police said.

And as for the strange age difference "normally" being the other way around, do you still believe that younger women love old men for their ..... mind????  :o

Unusual maybe but why strange? I have a Thai friend in England who has a boyfriend 14 years younger than her, she is 46. She has an ordinary job and he has a well paid occupation.

My Thai wife was 16 years younger than me, so what. Age wasn't a factor, nor was income as she was well paid too.

:D

Update From Canadian side of the news:

160_thai_051223.jpg

Barbara Lynn McLeod with her husband Stewart McLeod.

The McLeods were originally scheduled to arrive in Toronto Friday night for a Christmas visit, said Barbara's brother, Bob Pizer.

Pizer found out about his sister's death Thursday night at 10 p.m., when Stewart phoned and spoke to his wife Mary.

"He said 'I chased her around the house. I hit her with a hammer and I killed her'," Mary told CTV's Desmond Brown.

Mary thought he was joking until a person from the Canadian consulate confirmed the murder.

Pizer, an Ajax resident, last saw his sister two years ago, when she and Stewart came on their biannual Christmas visit to Canada.

Pizer was shocked by the news of his sister's death. "I had no knowledge of any previous difficulties (in the relationship)," he said in an interview Friday with CTV.ca. "They were close, and attentive to each other. They had a strong bond."

He said the McLeods were building a home in Phuket, Thailand.

According to Pizer, Barbara moved to Asia after she retired from Bell Canada. The McLeods, both of whom worked for communications companies in Thailand, met in Asia and were married for 10 years.

Liberal MP Dan McTeague, the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Foreign Affairs, told CTV he has been working with police in Bangkok so that Barbara's body will be brought back to Canada once the investigation is finished.

In the meantime, Pizer is concerned about Stewart remaining in custody, given that he's an Australian in a foreign country.

"I don't want there to be any chance for him to flee the country."

With files from CTV's Desmond Brown.

Apparently,according to Thai newspapers,Police found the hammer in his bag and blood in Apt.He will have lots of time to consider his stupidity.

Noting several rather silly and unpleasant posts, it's imposible to comment sensibly on any of this without having full access to the evidence and personal knowledge of the individuals.

From the reports on here though, if they are accurate, rather than just hearsay or journalists making things up (they can do that, you know :-) ) it appears most definitely NOT a premeditated crime. More like what the French would call a crime of passion: a heat of the moment thing, during an argument.

In Europe the defendant, if found guilty, would recieve a lighter sentence that he would for proved premeditated murder.

Planned murders include, I would have thought, plans to keep the murder scene forensically clean, and the proper disposal of supporting evidence.

Just my thoughts.

Good god, she was 17 years his senior.......and Canadian. 

No wonder he bludgeoned her to death.  I would have done the same.

The world doesn't need the likes of you....racist.....inhumane !

Sick ba@tard !

Jem

Or maybe the world needs less people like you? Too quick to take offence, the reason the rest of the world has gone insane with "political correctness".

At the end of the day the guy was making a light hearted comment about a news story... I mean sure, probably not a comment appropriate at the girls funeral, but it's not like anybody who reads this bored actually KNEW the people in question!

Who's blaming Thai women for this? This is all the fault of the murdering husband. I think what was meant was that the husband's involvement with a Thai woman -probably as much or more junior in age to him as he was to his wife- was no great shock. Thai women are often lovely, and some kids can't resist a candy store.

My husband finds Asian women unattractive, except for the stunning beauties in Chiang Mai. Notice that we will be living in Korat. :o

More than likely they hammered him with questions . . .

The big confusion I have about all this is trying to understand how they both managed to get IT jobs in Thailand. Especially ol' grandma......

:o

The rest of the story of course is perfectly understandable and probably happens more often than we know about - in either direction, husband or wife.

kenk3z

Edited by kenk3z