Asbestos Risk In The Home...

khall64au

Just did some research on asbestos and discovered, to my horror, that it present in some ceiling tiles. According to Wikipedia and the US National Cancer Institute, commercial asbestos building products were banned in the US in the 1980's. Those builldings containing the intact products pose little health risk. However, those asbestos products in disrepair may contribute to cancer through inhalation of the fibres released through deterioration of the product.

Which leads me to: how common are asbestos building products in Thailand? From the descriptions I read, my ceiling tiles look suspiciously like asbestos. :o and two of the tiles have been damaged by rodents which left fine chalky dust on the floor :D

Apparently the fine asbestos fibres, when inhaled will cause lung, kidney and gastrointestinal disease.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/asbestos

How do I test whether the tiles are asbestos?

I think its blue asbestos that is the real risk, it what they are always removing from old council housing in the UK (anyone care to confirm this for me). I think you need to breathe in a fair amount. If you demolish your ceiling or walls and they contain asbestos, then you should wear a mask, but I doubt a little rodent chewed tile will be much of a risk. Greater risk if you actually try and remove them as this will stir up the dust.

We just discussed this subject in the housing area. Read here.

I believe most people, looking back, see the mess in the USA as one part problem and 9 parts lawyers after a quick buck. For those engaged in daily/long term contact with it in the air there was a real hazard but for almost all applications the risk was low to none IMHO.

I think its blue asbestos that is the real risk, it what they are always removing from old council housing in the UK (anyone care to confirm this for me). I think you need to breathe in a fair amount. If you demolish your ceiling or walls and they contain asbestos, then you should wear a mask, but I doubt a little rodent chewed tile will be much of a risk. Greater risk if you actually try and remove them as this will stir up the dust.

Anyone who is or was in the building trades in the UK-EU-US-Canada or Auz/NZ over the last 50 years or so should be on the "At RISK Register" as a form of insurance.

I gave this advice to a bunch of plumbers in our local boozer a few years ago whos widows got a payout (2 late for them...but) however the big Insurance Companies are trying to dodge the issue

(with the help of yesterdays House of Lords decisions on amounts of compensation. :o )and are trying to water it down.....sods :D

Total number of deaths are expected to peak in around 2020...&...could be YOU...

so....

Recent report on the BIGGEST KILLER in Work related DEATHS in the UK :D

New warning over hidden asbestos

Chest x-rays can identify if someone was exposed to asbestos

Millions of people may still be working in buildings which contain asbestos even though it is a banned substance, according to a report.

The TUC claims that many employers are unaware of their legal obligation to find out about asbestos and said 1.5 million workplaces could be affected.

New research showed that 4,000 people were dying each year in the UK from asbestos-related disease.

We don't want to see any more people exposed to asbestos in future

Brendan Barber, TUC general secretary, said: "All forms of asbestos are dangerous, no matter what some employers might say.

"The cancers caused by the killer fibres can take years to develop, so someone who breathes in asbestos dust now may not become ill for another 25 years.

"We don't want to see any more people exposed to asbestos in future."

A million stickers and thousands of leaflets will be sent to workplaces, bearing the message: "Asbestos Kills."

Within the next decade, asbestos-related diseases will account for 10,000 deaths a year, the TUC estimates.

Asbestos diseases are caused by inhaling asbestos dust, a mineral commonly used in the construction industry until the 1970s. ...(thanks-BBC)

also..Bit of Info...

Asbestos is a term used for the fibrous forms of several naturally occurring minerals. They are flame retardent, heat insulating, non-conductive, and exceptionally strong.

The three main types of asbestos commercially used are:

1) CROCIDOLITE (often referred to as "blue asbestos")

2) AMOSITE (often referred to as "brown asbestos")

3) CHRYSOTILE (often referred to as "white asbestos")

It is important to remember that we are all exposed to low levels of asbestos fibres on a day to day basis (either in the ambient air, or in drinking water) but exposure to these low levels of fibres DOES NOTcause us to develop health problems.

Asbestos only starts to affect health when significant amounts of fibre are inhaled into the lungs. These levels of fibre release normally only occur when damage occurs to asbestos containing materials (ACMs).

All can be dangerous, but blue and brown asbestos are known to be more dangerous than white.

The different types can NOT usually be identified by their colour alone; where asbestos is affected by heat or chemicals, or combined with other substances, the colour and appearance can change.

There is no simple test to identify the different types of asbestos, laboratory analysis is required. They often occur as mixtures and unless you are sure which type of asbestos fibres are present you must treat the material as if it contains blue or brown.

http://www.asbestoswatchdog.co.uk/whatis.html

Your ceiling tiles are probably gypsum.

Asbestos concrete roofing tiles are popular though. These shouldn't be any problem if left alone but I'd be sure to use a respirator if you do any cutting on them.

Just did some research on asbestos and discovered, to my horror, that it present in some ceiling tiles. According to Wikipedia and the US National Cancer Institute, commercial asbestos building products were banned in the US in the 1980's. Those builldings containing the intact products pose little health risk. However, those asbestos products in disrepair may contribute to cancer through inhalation of the fibres released through deterioration of the product.

Which leads me to: how common are asbestos building products in Thailand? From the descriptions I read, my ceiling tiles look suspiciously like asbestos. :o and two of the tiles have been damaged by rodents which left fine chalky dust on the floor :D

Apparently the fine asbestos fibres, when inhaled will cause lung, kidney and gastrointestinal disease.

Khall, did you have a look at these photo's, posted in another thread about asbestos in Seonai's questions?

Seonai's thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66948

Photo's

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&h...of+&btnG=Search

LaoPo

Khall, did you have a look at these photo's, posted in another thread about asbestos in Seonai's questions?

Seonai's thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66948

Photo's

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&h...of+&btnG=Search

LaoPo

Thanks Lao Po - I was meaning my interior ceiling tiles inside the house. According to the link in my post (or Wikipedia) they also can contain asbestos if the house was built before 1986.