Censors Reverse Tack, Da Vinci Code Approved

george

Breaking News:

Censors reverse tack, Da Vinci Code approved

BANGKOK: -- The police censorship board has upheld the appeal of film distributors, and will allow The Da Vinci Code to be shown uncut and unchanged.

"The panel voted six to five to keep the movie as it is," said James Dhiraputra of Buena Vista International, the company which made the appeal.

Just one remnant remains of the censorship. Exhibitors must show a disclaimer at the start and end of the film stating that it is fiction. Christian groups have protested against its thesis that Jesus Christ married Mary Magdalene and had children.

The decision reverses a decision by the same board 24 hours previously, which ordered that the film's last 10 minutes be cut, and changes made to the subtitles and opening.

Protestant groups had urged that the film be banned or at least cut. The major Christian church in Thailand, the Catholics, have made no public comment on the controversial film.

According to Reuters, the evangelical Christian alliance which brought the censorship request accepted the final decison. "We respect the ruling," Thongchai Pradabchananurat, chairman of the Protestant Coordinating Committee told the news agency. "We have already expressed our feelings in this case and we will just have to forgive."

Foreign film critics, allowed to see the film for the first time today, just 24 hours before it opens in Thai theatres, roundly and apparently unanimously panned it.

Reuters reported that at a press screening late on Tuesday in Cannes, members of the audience laughed at the thriller's pivotal moment, and the end of the $125 million picture was greeted with stony silence.

"'Da Vinci' never rises to the level of a guilty pleasure. Too much guilt. Not enough pleasure," said Kirk Honeycutt of the Hollywood Reporter. Other critics agreed.

Lee Marshall of Screen International told the news agency: "I thought it was plodding and there was a complete lack of chemistry between Audrey Tautou and Tom Hanks."

For 24 hours, Thailand was the only country on Earth which agreed to censor the film. After the Tuesday decision by the film censorship board, the distributors appealed - and won.

Pol Maj Gen Somwong Lipiphun, who serves as chairman of the censorship committee, told reporters this evening that the film "can be screened without any cuts," a total reversal of Tuesday's censorship.

--Bangkokpost.com, Agencies 2006-05-17

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No cut to The Da Vinci Code

BANGKOK: -- Film Censorship Board announced on Wednesday that "The Da Vinci Code'' can be screened without the cuts that church groups had requested.

"It can be screened uncut" Pol Maj Gen Somwong Lipipun, deputy commissioner of the Central Investigation Bureau and chairman of committee said.

The Board supported releasing the movie uncut by a vote of 6-5, he said.

Its board included representatives of the movie's distributors, as well as persons representing the Christian groups that sought to have the movie's final ten minutes cut before showing.

The film is scheduled to open Thursday in Thailand.

--The Nation 2006-05-17

Note ... The Catholics didn't protest it ... they are getting Press! (yet They are the ones that are arguably maligned in the movie) but the Protestant congregations did give the right answer .... forgiveness ....

I remember when it was the guarantee of success to be "Banned in Boston"

Now it seems to be a sure thing when you can have so much free publicity re this "MOVIE" not documentary..

But the sure fire-est thing guaranteeing success is that the critics who have had the first shot at it now just 24 hours before release. have ///// PANNED the movie.... and we know how good a judge of things they are.

That put the seal of success on it as far as I am concerned

gonzo

a margin of greater than 6-5 would have meant too much loss of face for all involved ... the commission wouldn't want to insult the Protestants ... or say "we ll know we made a silly judgment without thinking"

Once again Thailand looks stupid - think they thought other countries would edit/ban it. So once they were alone they did a 180 degree change.

=================================================================

Right-on, BM !

Actually got a kick out of what some bright chap wrote in the Bangkok Post on this subject this morning (Postbag), when he said something to the effect that this movie shouldn't be curtailed for resasons of it being "fiction", since the Bible is based on the same premise and also written by "people".

:o

Once again Thailand looks stupid - think they thought other countries would edit/ban it. So once they were alone they did a 180 degree change.

Agreed, and trying that on in a buddhist country of all places... what where they thinking?

Hey, what's that? Only a few weeks ago there was rumor against the MTV-cartoon-series with the pope, now against this movie. If i wouldn't know better i might think about another advertising campaign to have more people watching this product. :o

I remember when it was the guarantee of success to be "Banned in Boston"

Now it seems to be a sure thing when you can have so much free publicity re this "MOVIE" not documentary..

But the sure fire-est thing guaranteeing success is that the critics who have had the first shot at it now just 24 hours before release. have ///// PANNED the movie.... and we know how good a judge of things they are.

That put the seal of success on it as far as I am concerned

gonzo

must not have any gay male kissing, black guy with white girl sex, or women involved in a typically male pursuit :o

One can not be forgiven with out first being condemned. I wonder if Christ has forgiven his followers for <deleted> up his teachings, for they know not what they do :o

It is the conflict in the individual mind that manifests as war. When individuals change, the society will automatically change.

— Amma

Why the heck are religious zealots given so much airtime in the first place?

I'm a Protestant Christian and found the book a jolly good yarn. If you're too stupid to think for yourself you'd better ask mother if it's alright to go to church.

If the man himself is listening i hope he gives all these stupid rsoles a ###### good birching for using His name in an irrelevant manner. Stop telling me how to live my life. :D

/rant off :o

So what happened to the much heralded idea that film censorship is now being done at ministry rather than the police. First sign of panic and the police seize control and screw up.

Edited by melonf

I don't see what is so bad about catholics protesting about this movie. It is a direct afront to what they belive in. They have not hurt anyone they are just protesting. I know it is a movie and a work of fiction but some idiots do actually belive it already. there are tours in Italy to the place featured in the book and a lot of people take it as the truth.

If there was a movie that suggested that Buddah, or Mohamed married a whore they would be widely criticized worldwide but if people insult Christianity then it is accepted. Most of all by western Christians.

Edited by thai_time

That is one way to look at it. Another way might be that the board realised that the protests were from a tiny but (as usual) shrill minority trying to dictate what people could or could not view and decided to ignore them.

I really wish xtians would just shut up and fark off. If they want to believe then fine, but why do they always try to project their corrupt beliefs and values onto others?

Personally I won't bother to see the movie. Then again I don't watch movies about the easter bunny or santa either, fairy stories and movies related to them don't interest me.

(sorry for the rant)

So what happened to the much heralded idea that film censorship is now being done at ministry rather than the police. First sign of panic and the police seize control and screw up.

[/quote

The front row of every theatre showing Da vinci code has been handed to the police. A spokesmen for Sony said ( Allegedly) this is not a bribe we don't expect trouble from the waring Christians but you can't be too careful. :o I do like fiction mixed with fact :D

That is one way to look at it. Another way might be that the board realised that the protests were from a tiny but (as usual) shrill minority trying to dictate what people could or could not view and decided to ignore them.

I really wish xtians would just shut up and fark off. If they want to believe then fine, but why do they always try to project their corrupt beliefs and values onto others?

Personally I won't bother to see the movie. Then again I don't watch movies about the easter bunny or santa either, fairy stories and movies related to them don't interest me.

(sorry for the rant)

You can always smell a rant. (sorry 'bout that)

I actually read the Da Vinci Code on my last trip to Thailand. To be honest, as a work of complete fiction the book was only okay. I have read better. As regards the book being anything more, then I think, it should really be irrelavent to Christians. I was raised a Catholic and I can safely say that I was not offended or changed in any way by the contents of the book (maybe that's just me). If Jesus Christ actually did have 'relations with that women', does that change the words that he was to supposed to have spoken and the message that he tred to spread?

If a persons faith is based on the words and actions of their God or prophet then a strong faith can't and shouldn't be broken by what anyone says.

Faith, most of which is blind anyway, should be an internal knowing and certainty that what you believe in is right, just and wise.

If Jesus is supposed to have helaed the sick, fed the hungry and been crucified for our sins then does him having a wife and kids make the healing untrue or his sacrifice any less?

As usual the human race are children, only content to fight over trivia and be controlled by ego instead of just following the guildlines of every, non satanic, religion or philosophy.

Just be happy, make others happy if you can and live your life the best that you can.

At least try and leave this world as good a place as you found it, but if you are really lucky you will get to make a difference and make it a better one.

Edited by dob310870

(sorry for the rant)

That is a bit of an insult to Christians, comparing the subject matter of the Da Vinci Code to Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny. I thought the discussion was about the censorship of the movie not the validity of Christianity.

(sorry for the rant)

That is a bit of an insult to Christians, comparing the subject matter of the Da Vinci Code to Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny. I thought the discussion was about the censorship of the movie not the validity of Christianity.

They are pretty much one in the same. If Brown says he worte the book based on facts and Christians are saying that it's not factual, thus it should be banned, well validity is what is being discussed. Who has the true facts?

There's a huge problem with Hollywood movies in general regarding the smearing of all things Christian; be it the setting fire of a Christmas tree, a horrific killing taking place at the same time showing a church scene, killing of priests, priests portrayed as evil, pissing on santa claus etc etc. We've seen this stuff over and over in movies for many decades. I rarely see a movie where there is no trace of this type of thing. No, banning is not the answer but they really pushed it hard in the face of Christians this time. As for me, I am non religious but I must say I get tired of all the shit thrown at the cross in movies. I could site example after example of this crap: In Fast Times at Ridegemont High a kid sitting on Santa's lap pisses on him; gee what's the message there? Caddyshack has a priest on a golf course get struck by lightening, hahaha so funny. The great classic The Godfather has the climactic end murder scenes intertwined with a church scene. When was the last time we saw a star of David get desecrated and laughed at? Perhaps if we saw rabbis get pissed on and laughed at then I wouldn't think anything off it. It seems they push the shit farther and farther, this may well be the farthest yet but then again maybe not. Hollywood is full of scum

Edited by monochaser