Baby Visa Question

I have been asked a question and thought that the very knowledgable people here would be better suited to answer.

scenario:

A baby is born in Thailand with a falung father. Baby gets passport for fathers country and is set to go for a trip to meet the grand parents in father's home country. Now the baby does not need a visa for fathers home country as they have a passport, but when they get to the immigration desk at the airport there is no entry stamp saying the baby came into the country so how can it leave? Basically the child is an illiegal alien.

My initial response was that if you produced the birth certificate then it would be a replacement for the entry stamp. But that is really just a guess.

I suppose the baby could use its Thai passport to leave the country and the other passport to gain entry to its "native" country, but then the problem arrises that there is no deprature stamp from Thailand so how did it get on th eaeroplane?

Any comments? Answers?

As any dual national they should depart/enter using the passport of that country. Depart Thailand with Thai passport/stamp in Thai passport/TM6 card in Thai passport (may have to show other passport to airline so they know a visa is not needed). Enter foreign country using that foreign passport (they know why there is no exit entry/happens every day - if not you tell them). Exit foreign country using that passport. Return Thailand with Thai passport/TM6 card.

From "right of abode" sounds like you are talking about the UK.

Tell your friends that they should get a thai passport for their kid before they leave town. Don't believe when people say dual citizenship is illegal in Thailand, it isn't. I have dual Thai OZ PP's.

As advised here, leave thailand on Thai PP, enter UK on UK PP. Leave UK on UK PP, enter Thailand on Thai PP.

Always show airline check in both PP's as they will need to see that the traveller has the right to enter the country of destination.

Never show Thai immigration both passports though. Although dual citizenship IS legal, in my personal experience it just confuses the issue for them. Always depart and enter Thailand on the Thai PP.

The "right of abode" sticker isn't issued by Thai immigration. It is issued by the UK embassy and goes in the Thai PP. It can say many things, but basically it says that the person has the right to enter and live in the UK without restriction.

In the case where baby has both PP's, they don't need a right of abode sticker as the UK PP is proof enough. Saves them 8000 baht.

If, in the unlikley case where parents don't get baby a Thai PP, no worries. Baby can stay for an extended period (I think until 7 years old) with no problem. Upon departure, it shouldn't be a problem as long as you have birth certificate and it is first time that baby has left Thailand.

Upon return, if parents want to/have to use UK passport, then they should get baby a long stay visa, otherwise immigration will only give baby 30 days entry.

As I said, get the Thai PP and it should work itself out.

I suppose the baby could use its Thai passport to leave the country and the other passport to gain entry to its "native" country, but then the problem arrises that there is no deprature stamp from Thailand so how did it get on th eaeroplane?

Any comments? Answers?

a little bit more..

Yes, the baby can do this. The departure stamp will be in the Thai passport in any case.

No problem will arise. UK and most developed western countries don't even care if there isn't a "stamp trail" in passports. This is because many countries don't even stamp out people anymore (Australia - for its own citizens, UK, Canada, EU). Also there are many millions of dual citizens in the world, so there is no point.

Have travelled myself to UK from Thailand. Departed Thailand on Thai PP, entered UK on Aussie PP. Was no stress. Won't be for baby either.

From "right of abode" sounds like you are talking about the UK.

Tell your friends that they should get a thai passport for their kid before they leave town. Don't believe when people say dual citizenship is illegal in Thailand, it isn't. I have dual Thai OZ PP's.

As advised here, leave thailand on Thai PP, enter UK on UK PP. Leave UK on UK PP, enter Thailand on Thai PP.

Always show airline check in both PP's as they will need to see that the traveller has the right to enter the country of destination.

Never show Thai immigration both passports though. Although dual citizenship IS legal, in my personal experience it just confuses the issue for them. Always depart and enter Thailand on the Thai PP.

The "right of abode" sticker isn't issued by Thai immigration. It is issued by the UK embassy and goes in the Thai PP. It can say many things, but basically it says that the person has the right to enter and live in the UK without restriction.

In the case where baby has both PP's, they don't need a right of abode sticker as the UK PP is proof enough. Saves them 8000 baht.

If, in the unlikley case where parents don't get baby a Thai PP, no worries. Baby can stay for an extended period (I think until 7 years old) with no problem. Upon departure, it shouldn't be a problem as long as you have birth certificate and it is first time that baby has left Thailand.

Upon return, if parents want to/have to use UK passport, then they should get baby a long stay visa, otherwise immigration will only give baby 30 days entry.

As I said, get the Thai PP and it should work itself out.

The babes passport will show birthplace as Bangkok and the Immigration guys will write something along those lines as you depart. To be doubly sure, carry a copy of the birth certificate. Samran is correct about overstay...there is no overstay penalty up until the age of 7 years.