Thaksin's Letter To George W Bush Exposed

george

Thaksin's letter exposed

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin wrote a letter to US President George Bush on June 23, according to exposure by Manager Web site and Matichon.

In the letter exposed by the two paper, Thaksin wrote that his opponents are trying "various extra-Constitution tactics" to try to bring down his government.

In reply, Bush said in his letter that Thai democracy is strong and Thailand would emerge from the current situation.

--The Nation 2007-07-12

Letters (source: manager.co.th):

549000010439201.JPEG

549000010439202.JPEG

Letters between Thai prime minister and US president

Read letter from caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra dated June 23 to US President George W Bush and Bush's answer letter to the Thai premier dated July 3.

Both letters were published in Thai-language Matichon newspaper's Monday edition.

1. Letter from caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to US George W Bush.

Office of the Prime Minister,

Government House,

Bangkok.

23 June B.E. 2549 (2006)

Dear Mr President,

I write to you on the basis of my high personal regard for your and for your leadership to explain the current political situation in Thailand, where I recently assumed responsibilities as caretaker Prime Minister . It is my goal to prepare the best possible democratic path for the next government following new national elections this fall.

There has been a threat to democracy in Thailand since early this year. Key democratic institutions, such as elections and their observance of Constitutional limitation on government, have been repeatedly undermined by interest that depend on creating chaos and mounting street demonstrations in Bangkok as a means to acquire political power that they cannot gain through winning elections. Having failed to provoke violence and disorder, my opponents are now attempting various extraConstitutional tactics to coopt the will of the people. If our democratic institutions provide strong over the next several months, these too will be unsuccessful.

On April 2, my Party, Thai Rak Thai, won a convincing majority in countrywide elections. Having led Thailand's government for over five years and won decisive victories in two previous national elections, I was confident of strong popular support and the voters confirmed the view. My political opponents because they know they would again lose, boycotted the April elections and left the political situation in Thailand in deadlock. With the imminent celebration of the 60th Anniversary of our King's coronation, I would not responsibly allow this political stalemate the mar this historic occasion . In order to restore calm so that preparations for the royal celebration could proceed, I stopped aside to take a leave of absence, assigning my Deputy Prime Minister with acting executive responsibilities.

In keeping with their independent status, Thai courts have since annulled the April elections on technical considerations and ruled that a new national vote be scheduled, probably in midOctober. Most objective observers believe that my Party will again receive the people's mandate to form a government. In the meantime, I could not allow my country to drift without leadership. Our ongoing war on terror must be prosecuted, our economy must be managed, and the basic functions of government must be carried out. For these reasons, I have heeded the calls of many Thais - both within my Party and among the oppositions as well - to resume an active role as caretaker Prime Minister.

During this period, I want to assure you that I will take steps to help got the country ready for free and fair elections, and to work to shift the national debate from one that is emotionally charged to one that reasonably discusses the central questions of Thailand's future, including whether the country's political governance will be decided through the ballot box or in the street. The answer to that question, Mr President, will have an important impact on the future course of democracy in Asia. I know that your agree with me that the rule of law and Constitutional order in Thailand and in Asia more broadly must prevail over demagoguery and mob action.

Finally, Mr President, please accept my enduring confidence that the relationship between Thailand and the United States, based on shared democratic values and vital national interests, will only grow in the months and years ahead.

Yours sincerely,

(Thaksin Shinawatra)

Prime Minister of Thailand

2. Letter from US President George W Bush to the Thai premier

THE WHITE HOUSE

WASHINGTON

July 3, 2006

His Excellency

Thaksin Shinawatra

Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Thailnd

Bangkok

Mr. Prime Minister

Thank you for your letter, and your optimism about the road ahead in Thailand. The United States has watched events in your country with some concern, and as an ally and a friend it is my sincere hope that all parties can find a way forward that respects the great achievement of Thai democracy and sees a fully vested government up and running in Bangkok as soon as possible.

Our two nations' friendship remains strong, and I appreciate your assurance that our good cooperation on issues of vital importance to us both will continue, Free and open political systems can be unpredictable, but the Thai people are resilient and Thai democracy is strong, and I know that your country will emerge from the current situation with a renewed focus on that which makes Thailand great.

Sincerely,

George W. Bush

--The Nation 2007-07-12

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds to me like something carefully scripted to be released onto the domestic audience at a strategic point in time rather than a serious diplomatic letter from one head of state to another.

Thaksin's letter to Bush reads rather oddly to me.

As if he expected it to become published and read by everybody in Thailand. Strange.

I guess he has dangled the bait before the baying hounds long enough and now he has thrown it to them to fight over it.

My view is that the letter is appropriate although I can see that it does present a slant in Toxins favor. The letter in and of itself is a diplomatic document (if in fact it is genuine) and given the US's concern about maintaining political stability throughout the world in these difficult times it was even probably welcomed by the US administration...although I'm sure that the current administration knows what is going on and doesn't need Toxin's assurances.

If this letter had not been made public or even been mentioned by anyone before then it would have done nothing to help or hinder Toxin. Toxin will not get any political support by writing an undisclosed letter to the President of the US. An undisclosed letter would be meaningless to internal Thai politics......but.......since it was mentioned as a "secret" letter and it was used to poke a jab or two at Toxin the people who did this have politicized the letter. Those people opposed to Toxin have created a political issue where none existed before. Now that the letter has been disclosed people will decide whether this "secret" letter actually contained the damning contents that Toxin distractors claimed. Frankly I don't see it as being damning in any way. It seems entirely appropriate in every way. People will most assuredly whine about how he is misrepresenting this or that...but....in my opinion within the context of a diplomatic document (which should never have been turned into another political football by creating suspicions about its contents) it is perfectly benign and in fact probably a sign of good statesmanship.

It could be that Toxin himself had the document exposed since the opposition seems to have given him the chance once again to show how they are off chasing imaginary concoctions instead of confronting the issues of importance to common Thai people.

Edit: Let me make my view clear. I really wish that a credible opposition who base their campaign on real political issues will emerge in from this mess....but so far I don't see it happening....they seem to just keep chasing after ridiculous issues that are non-starters in a political debate of issues of importance.....in my view. Do you think that Toxin has operatives in the opposition movement who keep feeding these dead end ideas to the leaders of the opposition....seems like it almost....in this way he can keep them from focusing on substantive issues and continuing to look like fools....in my opinion.

Edited by chownah

I'm not sure what folks were hoping for. It's not like anything of real substance will be sent in letters between the two leaders. It's like any fraternity, anything down and dirty will be handled by underlings/junior members/pledges.

:o

Edit: Let me make my view clear. I really wish that a credible opposition who base their campaign on real political issues will emerge in from this mess....but so far I don't see it happening....they seem to just keep chasing after ridiculous issues that are non-starters in a political debate of issues of importance.....in my view. Do you think that Toxin has operatives in the opposition movement who keep feeding these dead end ideas to the leaders of the opposition....seems like it almost....in this way he can keep them from focusing on substantive issues and continuing to look like fools....in my opinion.

No credible opposition is probably just as big a threat to democracy in Thailand as a corrupt government.

The Democrats seem to have abandoned the people in preference for the tactic of gaining power by default through court outcomes. I don't think anyone would blame the Democrats for taking on corrupt government practices in the courts. But the least they could do to substantiate their claim to lead the country better is to put forward some (at least) vague idea of how they are are actually going to do it.

Penzman, we desperately need a heavy doze of reality injected in those letters, please.

Coming up soon.

Let me guess---

Invisible ink!!

Extra paragraphs visible only under ultra violet light. And naming the charismatic individual for once and all!

Imaginations have been running wild on this issue so nothing much would surprise me now.

The letter, assuming it is real, is pretty much as expected. Why it was written seems vague. I cannot see much in the letter that will help either side.

I do notice that Thai people are calling it "a love letter", so at least it is good to see the ridiculing of politicians continue. That cannot be a bad thing. Also I'm sure Mr. Thaksin or more likely his underlings will point out that there is no mention of the unmentionable in it. Like most things at the moment both side will try to spin it to their advantage as the big decisions are awaited.

The letter, assuming it is real, is pretty much as expected. Why it was written seems vague. I cannot see much in the letter that will help either side.

I do notice that Thai people are calling it "a love letter", so at least it is good to see the ridiculing of politicians continue. That cannot be a bad thing. Also I'm sure Mr. Thaksin or more likely his underlings will point out that there is no mention of the unmentionable in it. Like most things at the moment both side will try to spin it to their advantage as the big decisions are awaited.

Or do you think that the letter was designed to be "found" after furious public debate fueled by allegations from opposition? Thaksins cryptic speech about the charismatic person got the show on the road then someone mysteriously leaked the info about the "secret letter to Bush".

Ask yourself how this little fiasco would now affect the public credibility of those accusing Thaksin of official corruption and electoral fraud and you might get some idea of why this whole non-issue was constructed in the first place.

Update:

Foreign Minister explains Thaksin letter to Bush

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's now infamous personal letter written last month to US President George W. Bush was merely designed to bolster and maintain the superpower's confidence in Thailand's democratic rule and continual drive toward future economic prosperity, Foreign Minister Kantathi Suphamongkhon said Wednesday.

In an interview by telephone, the foreign minister maintained that though his boss' letter was considered 'personal', it was written entirely in Mr. Thaksin's capacity as the premier addressing the US president regarding the current political situation in Thailand.

The foreign minister is currently visiting the United States at the invitation of his US counterpart Condoleezza Rice.

The Thai foreign minister said that Mr Thaksin's letter to Mr. Bush was simply aimed to keep the US president assured of Thailand's adherence to democratic rule with promises of a cordial, solid and lasting relationship between the two countries and the undaunted determination of a Thaksin-led Thailand to go forward toward future economic prosperity.

Mr. Kantathi said his boss had had no apparent intention to blame anyone for the political crisis in Bangkok and that he only intended to create and bolster international confidence in this country's economy and investment potential, to maintain law and order as well as observe the Constitution and avert violence.

He declined to comment regarding whether Mr Thaksin had broken any form of "etiquette" by attacking his political opponents in the letter. The prime minister, he said, wrote to Mr Bush because they personally are friends and the Thai premier had no spare time to see the US president in person, according to the foreign minister.

--TNA 2006-07-12

How exactly did Matichon get their hands on a copy of The Letter? Was it delivered from the inside, same way we got to see the video captures showing different party members coming in to visit Thamarak? If so, he must now have come to the conclusion that he can't keep anything secret anymore.

Just watch how many new books come out revealing much more once writers are no longer afraid of the consequences of speaking/writing freely.

then someone mysteriously leaked the info about the "secret letter to Bush".

How exactly did Matichon get their hands on a copy of The Letter?

[/quote

It was just given out to someone that they knew would take the information and disclose it.

"The enemy's spies who have come to spy on us must be sought out, tempted with bribes, led away and comfortably housed. Thus they will become double agents and available for our service. It is through the information brought by the double agent that we are able to acquire and employ local and inward spies. It is owing to his information, again, that we can cause the doomed spy to carry false tidings to the enemy." SUN TZU - 2400BC.

Cry baby. "I'm being bullied, and all those people on the streets... boo hoo, and the courts, too ... Uncle George, please understand."

Thaksin's critics will have a field day with it. Aparently it's not the first letter to Bush, and there were letters to other leaders, too.

Why does he feel the need to discuss Thai internal problems with Bush or Putin? And why does he present a partisan point of view - does he want Bush to support him against the "mob", and prop up his regime?

Saving his own a55, that's what it is. Printed on paper with Thai Royal Garuda sign.

There's nothing impeachable in the letter, but it projects a very wrong image of Thailand and its leaders. Begging for help in private letters and over coffee.

Plus ....

You know I am no big fan of Thaksin the Politician .... however .. I didn't see MrT asking for help in the letter ... it kinda makes sense to me.

<I still kinda am a fan of Thaksin the business man though :o He's impressive on that score at least!>

I make reference with this post to the article in today's Bkk Post, re the Tax-in letter to that Bush Guy.

It is seldom that you see something like the following.

A word or phrase in the English Language so aptly defined. In this case the word phrase is "Pompous Ass"

I would seriously submit that the major dictionaries of the world take note and perhaps this definition of the above is more apt then their own.

This is an excerpt from todays Post article :

That Bush letter: The Kantathi twist

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's now infamous personal letter written last month to US President George W. Bush was merely designed to bolster and maintain the superpower's confidence in Thailand's democratic rule and continual drive toward future economic prosperity, Foreign Minister Kantathi Suphamongkhon said Wednesday.

In an interview by telephone, the foreign minister maintained that though his boss' letter was considered personal, it was written entirely in Mr Thaksin's capacity as the premier addressing the US president regarding the current political situation in Thailand.

He declined to comment regarding whether Mr Thaksin had broken any form of "etiquette" by attacking his political opponents in the letter. The prime minister, he said, wrote to Mr Bush because they personally are friends and the Thai premier had no spare time to see the US president in person, according to the foreign minister.

Could the Pompous Ass definition possible fit?

Or do you think that the letter was designed to be "found" after furious public debate fueled by allegations from opposition? Thaksins cryptic speech about the charismatic person got the show on the road then someone mysteriously leaked the info about the "secret letter to Bush".

Ask yourself how this little fiasco would now affect the public credibility of those accusing Thaksin of official corruption and electoral fraud and you might get some idea of why this whole non-issue was constructed in the first place.

Who knows what is behind the letter, and I certainly wont waste too many minutes trying to figure it out. It makes both sides look like fools if you ask me. The main issue is up before the constitutional court today. Lets hope they get on with finishing this matter. Fairly soon Thailand will not have a budget in place.

PM Thaksin urged to inform the facts about the letter sent to US President

The meeting of the three oppositions urged Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to inform the facts about the letters sent to US President George W. Bush and the leader of nine Asian countries to the public.

Deputy Democrat Party Leader Jurin Laksanavisit (จุรินทร์ ลักษณะวิศิษฏ์) as the chair of the three opposition meeting spoke after the meeting where Mr. Somsak Prisanananthakul (สมศักดิ์ ปริศนานันทกุล) and Deputy Leader of Chart Thai Party Nikorn Jumnong(นิกร จำนงค์) as well as Director of Mahachon Party Thaweepong Wichaidit (ทวีพงษ์ วิชัยดิษฐ์ ) attended the meeting.

The meeting discussed about the letters which were sent to US President Bush and the leaders of nine Asian countries by Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. They said such action is deemed inappropriate as the letters revealed the internal situation to other countries.

They said the content of the letters have been distorted, therefore they would like the premier to use this opportunity to inform the facts to the general public who have doubts about the premier and the government. They confirmed that the opposition will not propose a letter to the embassy or to the leaders of the countries. They would rather use this opportunity to inform the facts to the people via the media.

In the meantime, Democrat Party Deputy Secretary-General Korn Chatikavanija (กรณ์ จาติกวณิชย์) believes that US President and the leaders of the countries who received such letters did not give much importance to the information in the letter, especially Mr. Bush who replied the letter without mentioning about the politics and the economy.

He stated that the letters of PM Thaksin has affected the confidence of various countries in the leader of Thailand and that such action is not useful for the country regardless of bilateral relationship or the economy of the nation.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 13 July 2006