Dating In Chiang Mai

Lambastard

Let it be said that this thread is not about what you think about working girls.

Sawasdee krub,

I’m new here to Chiang Mai. I’ve lived in Krung Thep and Pattaya before for 6+ months at a time on and off for years now. Now, I’m gainfully employed and living in paak nua and have left my girlfriends to fend for themselves. Alas, in the few short weeks that I’ve made my rounds, I’ve begun to notice that the usual places, where farangs are meant to hang, are not my cup of cha.

I’ve been to Spotlight with its glitzy go-go theme and it’s not overly friendly staff. I've weaved down the Loi Kroh beer bar path where I’ve been greeted with the well-practiced albeit tedious “Hello Mr., come sit down inside.” I've been lured not more than once into the dark reaches of the StarXix, where I was greeted with a hundred baht “cover charge” and dick-shake instead of a wai. (Beware: There's a moster that dwells within that bares the uncanny resemblance to the salt sucking montser from the original Star Trek or the albino hunchback from the Princess Bride--I'm not so sure, but it's scarey). I’ve tramped up and down backpacker alleys and in and out of karaoke bars, Sayuri Massage, Pandora’s, & the night bazaar nooks and crannies. I’ve cruised the River spots and found mostly a fairly segregated crowd.

Am I looking for a "singles scene" that doesn’t exist? A place where Khon Thai and farang can mingle without the oldest profession being the third item on the menu? These places do exist in other areas of muang Thai. Is it possible to find a Thai girlfriend without clicking on the above link that says 4900 Thai ladies? Where does one go without feeling like a total outsider even though one is. Have I gone too rural? Does being a farang peak the interest of Northern Girls or am I stuck with the Isaan imports? (not that that's bad or anything). From first glance most places are either all farang or all Thai. Not too much mixing except in aforementioned dens of iniquity. Are there any spots out by the university where scintillating conversations with college girls are just waiting to happen?

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if I'd met someone who'd "worked" before, or interested in me with less than "honorable" intentions. I'm not a kii nok. Nor am I old, fat, & ugly. I'd just like for once to meet a girl outside of a bar and see where it goes.

Dai mai rue blao? :o

ahhh... :o At last a post of my liking.

Not the usual "one of my friends was cheated by a cunning, illiterate bargirl" or "please help, I want to take my Thai hooker back to the UK" kind of stuff.

Sorry, can't help you with any suggestions mate, based in BKK.

:D

Well matey if you want to meet 'real' people then you have to be part of a 'community'......... and not a bar community. You have to somehow gain acceptance as a local by being involved as a local. I would say 99% of locals dont hang out in bars and such. If you can get outside of that circle then you should be fine but you must be patient. But be warned it is a different world albeit just as interesting, definitely more stimulating and jing jai than you will ever find in a bar !

Definitely, get away from the bar scene...live in the Chonnabot for a while.. This will give you perspective and perhaps a better appreciate....you can alway check out the college for your local cup of cha.. Cheers

First, welcome to Chiang Mai. Second, Oh no! He'll be prowling Airport Plaza pulling his nampa tactics next!

Bastard (who is a Lamb), I think the common thread among these threads is generally correct. If you don’t want to meet girls in a bar, don’t hang out in bars. Bar girls do have lives during the daylight, I’ll have you know. And, they run rampant through places like Airport Center where you’re apt to be caught unawares, though it is sometimes hard to recognize them with their clothes on and sun-glasses. :D

The other salient point is “to be part of the community” which is indeed easier said than done, but possible. If you can be called by your name other than farang, you're one step closer. I can be part of the community via the conduit my wife provides; however, meeting girls through the wife is just… well… not very smart. Also, I have great neighbors. I've been able ingratiate myself upon my neighbors and their kids without the wife; but it is much more challenging without my much-better half. Good things take effort. Payayam Si!

What has worked for me (to be part of the community—not to get girls) is to hang out with some Kohn Thai co-workers after work, which is a natural part of maintaining what is know as gan eng. This is a bit daunting, as your language ability is directly linked to your ability to participate in conversation. It can be uncomforting when the entire conversation has to switch languages just to communicate with you. If you’re willing to learn and patient enough to sit and smile while you pick up paasaa nua then you’re on the right track.

I’ve been fortunate enough to be taken to quite a few places. Warm up, The Monkey Club, and Fine Thanks (Nimanhaemin Road w/ fine looking waitresses). :o These are more like eateries than bars. They are very social and are places to hang out, drink (or not—many Thais don’t), eat, listen to live music, and chat. The people who frequent such establishments are definitely of a different caliber; and you’re right you won’t see too many farang. For a lot of farang, this can be incredibly boring.

In a way, I envy your being young, not-fat nor ugly with money living in Thailand and SINGLE. Oh, I’d probably get into trouble anyhow. You said you were gainfully employed and mentioned the university area. Might you be a teacher? I’ve always thought that English teachers get all the girls (at least that guy who wrote The Scribe made me think that; but then I’ve got a dirty mind. Is this true? From the look of this thread, I’m guessing it isn’t.

So laddie, plant your feet and get off the easy path of the Loi Kroh and show your neighbor’s daughter how graceful a farang can be. Just don't be a dick about it.

From first glance most places are either all farang or all Thai.

What do you mean by all Thai places and all farang places?

All farang places= places with "easy" girls

All Thai places= places with "normal" girls

Should give you a clue where to go :o

As for the no mixing in between the farang and Thai in "all Thai" places, try it, you might be surprised,...

Thanks for the replies. I must admit that my Thai is only half baaaad.

BlueCat, I guess I'm looking for an easy, normal girl. :o

Minute Pigglet,

I went out to FineThanks last night on your recommendation. Black boots, red-tops, boom-pow. Nice rec.

No real bar to curl up next to and I felt like a dork sitting alone. Not too easy to chat up tables of seated Kohn Thai. But the music was good and the beer soothed my soul.

BTW, I'm not a teacher and will take your further advise on going out with co-workers and neighbors daughters. :D

Thanks for the replies. I must admit that my Thai is only half baaaad.

BlueCat, I guess I'm looking for an easy, normal girl. :D

Minute Pigglet,

I went out to FineThanks last night on your recommendation. Black boots, red-tops, boom-pow. Nice rec.

No real bar to curl up next to and I felt like a dork sitting alone. Not too easy to chat up tables of seated Kohn Thai. But the music was good and the beer soothed my soul.

BTW, I'm not a teacher and will take your further advise on going out with co-workers and neighbors daughters. :D

That is if you get a job Zen :o

Err.. why not discuss this in the Chiang Mai forum? Just scroll down the list, it's there in between the Bangkok local forum and the Pattaya local forum.

BTW I don't agree.. Chiang Mai has LESS girly bars than other tourist destinations. You simply haven't found the normal places yet. And going to Star Six / Xix more than once... well!

Cheers,

Chanchao

Yes but why is it below the Bangkok Forum. Chiang Mai has more threads and more replies. Also a higher class of poster, I'm sure ###### will agree. It's about time we were given our due and put above Bangkok, terrible place... :o

Hooray for the Chiang Mai forum!

We're the best!

BTW, Lamby Baby, Today I went to Arusan (SP?) market just off the Night Baazar on the left heading down Chang Klang. First seafood restaurant in site is a winner.

Ate with the wife and krop kruah.

Lots to see there.

Don't let the Dr. get you down.

Remember an apple a day! Get your fuji's at gat luang!

BTW: Has he even apologized yet?

Lip up!

MP