Home Schooling

Storekeeper

Hello peeps,

Have any of you ever known anyone in Thailand who home schooled their children ? Basically expats who decided to home school vice send their kids to international schools ? If you have, I'd be interested in knowing what organizations they did this through. I want to home school my child beginning next year. But she'll still attend a Thai school as well.

SK

Edited by Storekeeper

How old is your child? Are you looking at buying a pre-packaged curriculum and follow that? There are many websites that are full of information on homeschooling.

If you are going to homeschool and have your child attend school, what free time will she have? I really think it should be one or the other. If you go with 100% HS, then you will have to make arrangements for her to have social contact with other kids her age. Bear in mind she will need to do sport etc.

I think homeschooling is great if you are willing to give it your full attention.

How old is your child? Are you looking at buying a pre-packaged curriculum and follow that? There are many websites that are full of information on homeschooling.

If you are going to homeschool and have your child attend school, what free time will she have? I really think it should be one or the other. If you go with 100% HS, then you will have to make arrangements for her to have social contact with other kids her age. Bear in mind she will need to do sport etc.

I think homeschooling is great if you are willing to give it your full attention.

Can you do 100% home-school in Thailand? I thought that children had to attend school until they are 18.

Can you do 100% home-school in Thailand? I thought that children had to attend school until they are 18.

School in mandatory to age 12, yes?

I don't think you can legally homeschool in Thailand unless you are an accredited teacher (or a monk). However, if you're out in the country I don't think anyone is going to either notice or care that you kids aren't going to school -- although you may still be required to enroll them (wouldn't want the school to miss out on government funds).

School in mandatory to age 12, yes?

I don't think you can legally homeschool in Thailand unless you are an accredited teacher (or a monk). However, if you're out in the country I don't think anyone is going to either notice or care that you kids aren't going to school -- although you may still be required to enroll them (wouldn't want the school to miss out on government funds).

It is mandatory till 18.

I don't know that mandatory attendance goes above 15. I see kids leave school after matayom 3.

Storekeeper, even if she goes to school full time, and still gets time to spend playing, any quality time spent with a parent is precious. We'll never be on our death bed saying, "I wish I'd spent more time at work." We'll say, "I wish I hadn't died so soon, so I could spend more time with family and friends."

What child complained they had too much quality time with their parents during childhood?

The Thai step-daughter is 8 years old and in the 3rd grade here in Japan. She also attended 2nd grade here.

We'll be returning to Thailand just in time for here to start the 4th grade at a Thai school. I'm flip-flopping on where I'm going to live but it's most likely going to be up near Phichit the first year anyway.

She didn't speak English at all prior to the 2nd grade and is now nearly on grade level with the other English speaking 2nd graders.

She's going to attend a Thai school but I've got to figure out how the stateside homeschooling programs works. I think I'm going to go through Washington State board of education.

This is for the best if I do it for her. Anway, she should be kept busy and not left idle. Odds are I won't be staying in Thailand past the 6th or 7th grade. So I don't want her to be too far behind. If I have to I guess I'll just focus on English and buy the Hooked on Phonics program.

Edited by Storekeeper

My private student here in Suphanburi - 'Bacon' is one of only 50 or so 'home-school' students in the whole of Thailand.

His father is President of The Thai Home-school foundation. This is the only website in Thailand dedicated to home-school students.

www.thaihomeschool.com

The process of applying for a 'home-school' license is a very difficult one. Every thing in the syllabus must be approved by the Ministry of Education and the parents will have to work alongside the Ministry closely.

One of my other students is the Vice-Director of Education for Provincial Area One. It is one of her duties to monitor 'Bacon' and give constant approval. She also has to visit the house on a monthly basis to see for herself how the classes are going.

This is just for Thai people wanting to give their kids 'home-schooling'. I'm afraid that if you are a foreigner though, with children who holding Thai nationality - the procees would be even more troublesome.

For more info on home-schooling in Thailand see the link. If you cant read Thai have someone it translate it.

BTW: Compulsory education in Thailand is up to Mathayom 3 (Grade 9). But...that is only in theory!

Edited by stevesuphan

Wow, thanks for the link, Stevesuphan!

I got some more info from my student's father tonight.

He said that there is one westerner in Songkla province who has 'home-schooling' for all his four half-Thai children.

He said that you can get approval from the Min. Ed. for 'Home-school' (international program).

If you are interested in such a program, he advised the 'home-school' curriculums (US/UK etc...) which can be downloaded from the Internet for a fee of around $300US.

Next, you take the International program curriculum (University verified) to the Min. of Ed for their stamp of approval. They will advise you on the 'Thai langauge' syllabus and give you the resources.

If anyone would like to contact the President of Thai Home-school directly for info - then do tell me (or mail him on the website - 'fatherpig'). He told me his is willing to offer advise to any interested foreigner.

Edited by stevesuphan

I work with two guys who home school their kids. The have 5 kids each. The buy a core curriculum from someplace in the USA. They add other stuff like music, Thai and whatnot, as needed.

I've talked to them about the program they use and it sounds pretty good. I also remember thinking it was expensive, but don't recall the exact amount.

It's also a lot of work for the family, but the wives do it as a full time thing. The wives are not Thai.

Don't know a lot about it, but there is a school in Pichit called Pichit Inter(national) School. You can google for their site.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't know a lot about it, but there is a school in Pichit called Pichit Inter(national) School. You can google for their site.

Thanks. Discovered they're not really an international school. Just inter ... whatever that means.

Also did some more research for US based homeschooling formats ... yes, some are quite expensive. From what I researched it's probably best to go through the Board of Education for whatever your home state is.

Thanks for the website Steve ... always can use another option.

Hello peeps,

Have any of you ever known anyone in Thailand who home schooled their children ? Basically expats who decided to home school vice send their kids to international schools ? If you have, I'd be interested in knowing what organizations they did this through. I want to home school my child beginning next year. But she'll still attend a Thai school as well.

SK

Hi!

I am homeschooling my 2 boys. They are 5 and 10 yrs old. We can discuss about homeschooling if you are interested. I have just moved from Malaysia to Bangkok about 6 months ago.

• 1 month later...

Hello peeps,

SK

Hi!

I am homeschooling my 2 boys. They are 5 and 10 yrs old. We can discuss about homeschooling if you are interested. I have just moved from Malaysia to Bangkok about 6 months ago.

Check out www.enigmainstitute.com and they can advise about home schooling. They are a small group of Bangkok based teachers/educational psychologists who specialize in helping kids with learning difficulties, or teacher difficulties, or school difficulties, and who are 100% pro-kid. They are expensive but good if you can afford them. Also an intriguing bit in their web about free tuition. Wonder what the catch is?

Lots of homeschooling in Chiang Mai, but usually religious types who don't want to expose their children to the outside world, or are missionaries way out in the sticks. But they have little group gatherings and stuff like that. For some courses they might go to one of the intl. schools for an hour or so, but not full time. If you're interested I could find out more. PM me on ajarn.

Have you thoght long and hard about the Thai School bit ?

• 2 years later...

[

Hi there - Do you know of any home schooling family with non-religious background in Chiang Mai? We have a daughter of 8 years old who is a home schooler. We also have an almost 3 year old daughter...Would love to meet up with fellow home schoolers for the girls to have some fun. Any information would be very much appreciated!

Hello peeps,

SK

Hi!

Hi SK,

i know it was a long time ago that you wrote this post but i am hoping that you are still around. Did you home school your daughter in the end? We are in Chiang Mai and wonder if you're still in Thailand home schooling because my girls (8 and 3) are looking for some other open-minded, (and no particular emphasis on any religion even if the parents have their beliefs, if you know what i mean?) home schoolers...if you know ANYTHING would really appreciate any info! CD

• 1 month later...
Hello peeps,

SK

Hi!

Hi SK,

i know it was a long time ago that you wrote this post but i am hoping that you are still around. Did you home school your daughter in the end? We are in Chiang Mai and wonder if you're still in Thailand home schooling because my girls (8 and 3) are looking for some other open-minded, (and no particular emphasis on any religion even if the parents have their beliefs, if you know what i mean?) home schoolers...if you know ANYTHING would really appreciate any info! CD

Hi

I am a broad minded Thai family, and are living in Chiangmai, using Montessori system for homeschooling my preschool child . Would like to exchange and contact with homeschool parents who are interested.

Please send PM

PS I am currently doing a training course with AMI

• 4 months later...
Hello peeps,

SK

Hi!

Hi SK,

hello i am currently home schooling my 8 yr old daughter, and i am looking for some where rural to live in c.m . i also have 3 young sons, 5, 3,& 2.

i live in chachoengsao now but want to move asap!

comming to c.m nxt week, to house hunt, email me if you want to meet up.

The Thai step-daughter is 8 years old and in the 3rd grade here in Japan. She also attended 2nd grade here.

We'll be returning to Thailand just in time for here to start the 4th grade at a Thai school. I'm flip-flopping on where I'm going to live but it's most likely going to be up near Phichit the first year anyway.

She didn't speak English at all prior to the 2nd grade and is now nearly on grade level with the other English speaking 2nd graders.

She's going to attend a Thai school but I've got to figure out how the stateside homeschooling programs works. I think I'm going to go through Washington State board of education.

This is for the best if I do it for her. Anway, she should be kept busy and not left idle. Odds are I won't be staying in Thailand past the 6th or 7th grade. So I don't want her to be too far behind. If I have to I guess I'll just focus on English and buy the Hooked on Phonics program.

What are your qualifications to teach?