Tv For 19yo Thai Girl

I need some help trying to get a 3 month Tourist visa to Australia for my 19yo Thai girlfriend. I am only a 21 year old guy living in Melbourne but have a good job for over 2 years and have good salary but not to much savings. I have been to Thailand 6 times sine June 2005 and the next trip will be in just 5 weeks when I hope to be able to get a TV for my thai GF to return with me in mid November.

I have known her for about 1 month and I took her to BKK with her mama to get a passport last week and she has a 18 month old babie but the babie will remain in Thailand while she comes for a 3 month holiday. Is the babie reason enough for her to return to thailand in the eyes of the embassy? She also has a friend who owns a salon in Pattaya so she could make up a work letter as well. Should I have any other problems trying to get her the visa in early November?

Edited by aussie_21

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you only know her for so short, it's a bit early to start sending her money. Especially because she has a kid already.

Also, I don't think it's a good thing she is prepared to leaver her young kid for 3 months. I bet you're pretty sure she likes you a lot. But after so short time, it cannot be love yet.

Think about the chance she's just in it for the money, it will save more troubles for later, too many stories like that.

I need some help trying to get a 3 month Tourist visa to Australia for my 19yo Thai girlfriend. I am only a 21 year old guy living in Melbourne but have a good job for over 2 years and have good salary but not to much savings. I have been to Thailand 6 times sine June 2005 and the next trip will be in just 5 weeks when I hope to be able to get a TV for my thai GF to return with me in mid November.

Your bio is fascinating, but it is not you who needs the visa, it is her :o

careful my young australian friend.

19 yrs old.

Pattaya.

has a baby

does not work (you sure???)

friend has a salon.

need you send her money. (what did she do before you came along)

This is a familiar recipe. I can`t quite place it though.

Anybody help out here??

19 yrs old.

Pattaya.

has a baby

friend has a salon.

Anybody help out here??

Darwin wrote about it. "Natural Selection": only the strong(and smart) survive.

You are a very fortunate young Aussie to have been able to come here 6 times in only one year and three months. How can you get so much time off from work?

You should continue on your merry path and come here often and live just as you have in the past. You have no reason to get hooked up with a 19-year old with a 1 1/2 year old child.

Assuming the best, and that she is going to stay with you and be true, YOU will be sending money to Thailand for her mother and some other man's child who has either run off, or he will be receiving that money. YOU will be paying for her to learn to read and write Englsih. YOU will be driving her where she needs to go. YOU will be responsible for her health insurance. YOU will be paying for her return trips to Thailand to see her child... and who knows else. YOU YOU YOU.... YOU will listen to her complaints about Aussieland and your parents. YOU will be in for the headache of your life. YOU will forget about your fun trips to THAILAND. YOU will not be able to save any money.

YOU ARE MAKING A BIG MISTAKE.

And remember, this is the best case scenario. YOU do not want to begin thinking about the worst case scenario. Maybe some other board members can write about that.

19 yrs old.

Pattaya.

has a baby

friend has a salon.

Anybody help out here??

And make sure you get a health certificate for the Family Buffalo. It probably hasn't been looking well lately :o

Aussie21, sceptical lot aren't they. :D

You should click here and read as much as you can about tourisit visas.

Your age won't make too much of a difference providing you have the funds to be able to support her visit. You should submit a statement of earnings from your employer and/or provide proof of your financial situation.

You will definitely be required to provide a valid reason for her to return to Thailand upon the expiration of her tourist visa.

Don't start inventing employers for her. You are sure to come unstuck.

You will also need to convince the embassy that your relationship is genuine. Knowing her for only one month will make this difficult.

In this regard, you will need to write a comprehensive covering letter with the application, giving your assurances about the relationship, your ability to support her and your guarantee that she will return to Thailand.

I won't say that it will be easy for you. I really do think that you need to get to know each over a lot more months before applying for a tourist visa, but what do I know. :o

All these negative comments will not help Aussie_21.

Ignore the scaremongers!

I say don't worry, just go ahead with you plans and bring her to Oz!

The only way to get to know if this young lady is genuine is to get to know her better.

If you don't do it now, you will never know .. Life is a gamble.

Of course if you do end up getting married, she and her family will be dependent on you

for years to come - there is no argument about that.

That's the way it is in Thailand.

You need to be very generous and ready to spend money, that's for sure.

But in return, if she is genuine, you can expect a wonderful time ahead.

Read a book called "Thai Fever". It will tell you all you need to know about starting a Thai relationship and what your obligations are. Be prepared to give up other women alltogether.

Thai wives are very possessive and jealous. So be very sure before you get too involved.

If you're not prepared to make this sort of committment then best continue to play the field

for a while. Especially while you're still in your twenties. You have still got plenty of time. A lot depends on your personality and what you expect from life but it sounds like you've had enough experience in LOS and have found the girl of your dreams.

(some guys think 20 years experience in Thailand is still not enough)

I'm supporting my wife's family and I'm lucky enough to afford it.

I expected I would have to support them and I'm enjoying the challenge.

I get great satisfaction knowing that I have made such a difference to their lives.

I was unsure about my GF in the beginning when she applied for her visa.

I half expected she might be lazy, sit around all day smoking, drinking beer and watching TV. However I was totally wrong. She is not lazy. She gave up smoking and hardly ever has a drink nowadays. She works in the garden rather than watch Television.

She is the perfect, affectionate housewife and we could not be happier.

We brought her 8 year old boy to live with us in Oz and he is happy too.

My wife got her Visa even though we met each other only one month before.

If she writes a statement saying how much she is going to miss her baby and her family

(as she probably will) then that will be a good enough reason for her to return to Thailand.

They call it a "Tourist Visa" and they expect that she will be looking forward to seeing some of Australia (as a tourist) so she should include that in her statement too.

You should reflect that in your statement as well, that you're keen to show her all the sights and see the wildlife - (and get to know her better at the same time of course).

Treat the application as it is: purely for a 3 month holiday for her.

You can talk about your love for each other in a later application.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck to you both!

:o

I have known her for about 1 month and I took her to BKK with her mama to get a passport last week and she has a 18 month old babie but the babie will remain in Thailand while she comes for a 3 month holiday. Is the babie reason enough for her to return to thailand in the eyes of the embassy? She also has a friend who owns a salon in Pattaya so she could make up a work letter as well. Should I have any other problems trying to get her the visa in early November?

Now all the usual posts have been made, lets get serious...

first and foremost.....you have not known her long enough for a tourist visa...the rule of thumb is that you have to be able to show that you have known the person for at least 6 months to be successful in a visa application...however it has happened that people with less time have got through...I would wait at least this long before you apply and this will give you a little bit of time to get to know her a little bit better.

You do not have to show a genuine relationship for a tourist visa...you can claim her as a friend for a tourist visa. I did this with my first visa application for my fiance.

Children are not considered to be a reason to return by the Embassy...you will need more than that...Many girls use fake work letters for applications...however if it is checked out and proved to be fake then the application will be refused. Now if you supply a Stat Dec stating that you will support her here and ensure that she abides by the visa conditions this can alleviate the reason to return and the working issue...she will need to declare her last job if she is claiming to be unemployed and you are sponsoring her.

You will not need savings in the bank to sponsor her...but you need to show evidence of your income by way of payslips and tax return docs.

I hope this assists....

And just to add my thoughts to others....dont rush into things...you really need to know her a bit more before you start making too many plans....Hasten slowly my friend

With the information given by the OP, I would expect a Visa application to be unsuccessful. However, I can think of a couple of good reasons for doing it anyway.

1. The reason for refusal will be in writing, so you will know what hurdles need to be overcome the next time.

2. If another application is made at a later date, they will have concrete proof of the duration of their relationship.

You are a very fortunate young Aussie to have been able to come here 6 times in only one year and three months. How can you get so much time off from work?

that's what I thought.........along with the rest of the story.....

.....troll per chance?

Edited by game4shame

first and foremost.....you have not known her long enough for a tourist visa...the rule of thumb is that you have to be able to show that you have known the person for at least 6 months to be successful in a visa application.

You do not have to show a genuine relationship for a tourist visa...you can claim her as a friend for a tourist visa. I did this with my first visa application for my fiance.

Graham,

I've noticed in this and other threads you stipulate "at least 6 months" in a relationship for a tourist visa application to be successful.

Can you please clarify (for my information ) who is applying this 'rule of thumb.'

I would agree that 6 months could be the unwritten minimum time frame for a Spouse Visa, but perhaps not for a Tourist Visa. (as you have stated in your second paragraph above, which seems to contradict your first paragraph.)

The Partner Migration Book has a page dedicated to "Proving the genuine and continuing nature of your relationship" but this refers to 'Partner Migration' and not Tourist Visas, and no time frames are specifically mentioned however, under the 'continuity' heading, the history of the relationship would be required as part of the proofs.

The OP has stated that he is in a relationship with his g/f and I gained the impression that he wants to pursue this relationship by bringing her to Oz as his g/f rather than as a friend.

The difference is possibly a mere matter of words, but if he chooses to apply for a tourist visa to bring his "friend" to Oz, the embassy may then think that because there is no commitment between the two of them, that she may do a runner in Australia. (mainly because of her young age and the fact that she is unemployed.)

If they both can convincingly demonstrate in writing that they want to pursue this relationship, I think they stand a fair chance of being successful.

I would suggest that the OP should include with the application, a stat. dec. from his parents, and/or a senior member of the community, stating that in their opinion the OP possesses the maturity required to make decisions about his own future and that they support the application.

That's why I answered his question as I did, I'd be interested to hear your views, particularly on the time frame.

Hi Aussie_21

Give my regards to Mermaids!

Ignore the bible belters and enjoy your mistakes - ahhh memories :o

Xerostar, the Mouse and gburns57 - know what they are talking about. Some good advice there - I'd second the advice about reading the book "Thailand Fever -. (just not good AFL advice - how do I lodge a complaint about an offensive avatar on this site anyway?) Back to topic.

We got a TV for the GF (now wife) without much drama. The Oz Embassy in my experience don't care if you found her in a shop, a field or an agogo covered in whipped cream - they just need to feel certain it is a genuine application (ie she is not coming here to work etc).

Overkill on the application does not hurt - proof of the relationship - phone records - email logs - chat logs etc etc. Lots of photos. Don't forget to take YOUR passport when you apply for the TV. Not sure about the "minimum six months" being a rule - but worth keeping in mind.

Do you have a copy of "Money Number One" ? - some good advice there on Visa applications, written by another fellow Aussie and you will know where to find it if you frequent Pattaya. You may wish for instance to use her home address rather than her work address in Pattaya - the reaction to your post should makes further explanation unnecessary.

Don't forge documents - these are fellow Aussies - they will not forgive you if you treat them like they are fools ( or barrack for the Eagles!).

Apply - as Thaddeus points out - even a failed application has some value. :D

first and foremost.....you have not known her long enough for a tourist visa...the rule of thumb is that you have to be able to show that you have known the person for at least 6 months to be successful in a visa application.

Graham,

I've noticed in this and other threads you stipulate "at least 6 months" in a relationship for a tourist visa application to be successful.

Can you please clarify (for my information ) who is applying this 'rule of thumb.'

I would agree that 6 months could be the unwritten minimum time frame for a Spouse Visa, but perhaps not for a Tourist Visa. (as you have stated in your second paragraph above, which seems to contradict your first paragraph.)

The Partner Migration Book has a page dedicated to "Proving the genuine and continuing nature of your relationship" but this refers to 'Partner Migration' and not Tourist Visas, and no time frames are specifically mentioned however, under the 'continuity' heading, the history of the relationship would be required as part of the proofs.

The OP has stated that he is in a relationship with his g/f and I gained the impression that he wants to pursue this relationship by bringing her to Oz as his g/f rather than as a friend.

The difference is possibly a mere matter of words, but if he chooses to apply for a tourist visa to bring his "friend" to Oz, the embassy may then think that because there is no commitment between the two of them, that she may do a runner in Australia. (mainly because of her young age and the fact that she is unemployed.)

If they both can convincingly demonstrate in writing that they want to pursue this relationship, I think they stand a fair chance of being successful.

I would suggest that the OP should include with the application, a stat. dec. from his parents, and/or a senior member of the community, stating that in their opinion the OP possesses the maturity required to make decisions about his own future and that they support the application.

That's why I answered his question as I did, I'd be interested to hear your views, particularly on the time frame.

A few comments on the "6 month" rule of thumb

My GF applied for a TV after 3 months (last November) and it was rejected

We then applied again at exactly 6 months with a very similar amount of supporting documentation and it was approved

I am not sure if the 6 month period had anything to do with the approval process or the fact that by applying twice it proved that the relationship was genuine

I believe that the embassy is trying to weed out applications from people who get caught up too quickly in the "romance" and by rejecting their initial application it gives a further cooling off period. This in their eyes is to the benefit of all concerned and tests if the relationship will continue further

Not sure what happens if you first apply after 5 months

I would recommend that an application be submitted before 6 months so that it is in the system. If it is rejected try again after another month or so

My wife and I read this thread together and she is Chinese-Thai, and her first comment is "that is too fast to commit" and she said you should take it slow. We waited 2 years to fully commit, my wife came to the US to study her MBA, and we took it slow while she was here studying and married 2 years after she was in US. You are only 21 yo, and she is 19, so just take your time.

Graham,

MM

By rule of thumb, I mean that it is not a written down law but a yardstick that the Embassy seem to apply to visas of any kind. Some people have been successful with a less than 6 month time frame but they are the exception rather than the norm. He may get one after 3 months, I dont know but it seems that the 6 months is the safe bet if you want an application to succeed. I think that Mav has got it one....they apply a yardstick to weed out those that are acting impulsively on a holiday romance and also to prevent girls from coming here on a tourist visa and disappearing into the system and also to prevent sharkheads from bringing girls here into prostitution.

It could be that their ages become a determining factor....for instance an older couple may have more chance at a tourist visa in less than 6 months because of their maturity as against a younger couple. Your idea of a stat dec from his parents is a sound idea, but the truth is that we really dont know what yardsticks are applied in determining the visa process and at best all we can do here is offer advice to try and give the people the best chance to successfully applying for visas as is based on our own and other peoples experiences...The Immi website at best is merely a guide to visa applications and therefore the embassy has a lot of latitude when it comes to determining the outcome of an application but you can bet that if there is any hint that the application is in any way weak or suspect then they will knock it on the head.

When the OP is looking at a spouse visa then I will address that issue but in the meantime he is asking for info about a tourist visa and I am only dealing with that at this point in time...Some people find the visa application process to be a complicated affair and I dont want to confuse the guy with anything more than he needs to know for his current situation.

I see your point on the gf/friend issue....And you make a very valid point...I suspect again it merely a matter of semantics...I dont think that for a tourist visa the embassy really care if you are in a relationship or not, hence my saying that you dont need to prove an ongoing genuine relationship for a tourist visa. However once you declare a relationship then the embassy may just start asking that you prove it exists and the OP wouldnt have that measure of prove at this stage, which is why I said that he could just declare her as a friend for this application.

Hope that assists you MM

:o

Do you have a copy of "Money Number One" ? - some good advice there on Visa applications, written by another fellow Aussie and you will know where to find it if you frequent Pattaya. You may wish for instance to use her home address rather than her work address in Pattaya - the reaction to your post should makes further explanation unnecessary.

I met Neil when he was touting the book after the first printing run (bastard didnt give me a free copy :o )...he is a very good compiler but the books content is made up from the same cynical type of people that have made posts on this thread already. So I would take it with a very large grain of salt.

:D

Hey mate. I will not comment on your situation but I will share my experience with you and hope it helps.

I only knew my then Thai girl friend for 2 months before we applied for a tourist visa for her to come visit me in Sydney. All I did for her was to send a very nice, lenghty e-mail saying i will be fully accountable for her financially while she is in Aus. I wrote that we were only friends and we had been in contact alot and that her uni holidays were comming up and I though that since she was a nice person that I would try to help her out be helping her when she came to australia. Write all kinds of shit like that in an e-mail and send it to her. Mail her a singned copy of your passport. I did not need to show any financial evidence on my behalf as she was only applying for a tourist visa. Anyway, 1 week after she applied she got the visa and then came to vist me 3 days later. Now 18 months later, we are hapilly married and planning to return to Oz in about 1 years time so now we are in the process of investigateing a spouse visa for her. But you need to use your common sense and decide what is best for you. there are plenty of honest girls out there, but there are also plenty of scammers and those who will rip you off. in the end, you have to live with your decision. I just wish you luck and hope she gets her visa as easy as my now wife did when she applied for her first tourist visa to Oz.

Hey mate. I will not comment on your situation but I will share my experience with you and hope it helps.

I only knew my then Thai girl friend for 2 months before we applied for a tourist visa for her to come visit me in Sydney. All I did for her was to send a very nice, lenghty e-mail saying i will be fully accountable for her financially while she is in Aus. I wrote that we were only friends and we had been in contact alot and that her uni holidays were comming up and I though that since she was a nice person that I would try to help her out be helping her when she came to australia. Write all kinds of shit like that in an e-mail and send it to her. Mail her a singned copy of your passport. I did not need to show any financial evidence on my behalf as she was only applying for a tourist visa. Anyway, 1 week after she applied she got the visa and then came to vist me 3 days later. Now 18 months later, we are hapilly married and planning to return to Oz in about 1 years time so now we are in the process of investigateing a spouse visa for her. But you need to use your common sense and decide what is best for you. there are plenty of honest girls out there, but there are also plenty of scammers and those who will rip you off. in the end, you have to live with your decision. I just wish you luck and hope she gets her visa as easy as my now wife did when she applied for her first tourist visa to Oz.

Thanks for the input....Could I ask your ages in line with a portion of my last post...while in your case an e mail was sufficient...I would advise that a Stat Dec be used to declare your financial support etc... as the embassy will view this as a legal document and therefore it carries more weight.

Good to hear that you have been successful with your relationship and hope that it continues to be good for you.

at that time we were aged 21 and 19 as well :o

however, my wife just told me that she also had a letter from her university, and this was the proof that she needed to show that she would return to Thailand. But in our case, the length of our relationship was not an issue.

Good luck!

Thanks again for the input...education would be viewed favourably....