Visa Info For A Noob

I came here a couple of days short of October with really no info about visa's.

I like it here and would like to stay for 6-12 months, but found out that they changed the rules so that those with a tourist visa need to stay out of Thailand for 3 out of every 6 months.

I really have no idea about what visa options are available. Am I really going to need to leave Thailand after 3 months? Or is there another visa I can get somehow? I heard that you can go to Panang and get a multiple entry visa or something, but I have no info about it and just heard it from someone at a bar.

Any help would be great.

Or if you have any links, or know of any place in Chiang Mai where I can speak to someone in person about this info, that would be great also.

Cheers,

Wiz

Talk about what info? A multi entry visa from Penang? No chance. Penang does not issue any type of multi entry visa these days.

The rule on 90 day stay applies to entry without visa (30 day stamps). If you enter with a visa you will likely to be allowed the full stay of that type of visa.

You obtain visa outside of Thailand so I believe you will have to leave in any case.

Your nationality/age/financial status all effect your options.

Bump ... for anyone who might be able to tell me if there's a way I won't need to leave Thailand for 3 months at the end of my 3 month tourist visa...

At the end of your three month tourist visa you need to leave the country and come

back with either another 60 day tourist visa + 30 day extension (e.g. Penang) or do a border hop

(vis run) and come back with a 30 day stamp.

Naka.

i believe from other posts, after ur 3months tourist visa is up, u can continue by going for another 3x visa runs on borders, and repeat the cycle getting a tourust visa again

wash rinse repeat.

correct me if i am wrong becuz that is what i think might work, not yet tested :S

i believe from other posts, after ur 3months tourist visa is up, u can continue by going for another 3x visa runs on borders, and repeat the cycle getting a tourust visa again

wash rinse repeat.

correct me if i am wrong becuz that is what i think might work, not yet tested :S

That IS the problem right now.. it hasn't been tested.. I am egarly waiting to see anyone's first hand experience with what happens when their 60+30day tourist visa (issued after Oct 1st) expires and then they try to go to like the Cambodian border for example, and then try to come back in same day with a 30day visa exempt stamp... I am in this 'lab rat' group because I am here on a tourist visa that was activated when I arrived on the 17th of October... I have nightmares of being stranded in Poi Pet and not being allowed back into Thailand.. and I have to rinse and repeat (ie. border run) 3 times to get me to March 2007 when I want to leave Thailand.

Really eagar to see what will happen but it will be too late for me anyway I guess; being in this pioneering group.

That IS the problem right now.. it hasn't been tested.. I am egarly waiting to see anyone's first hand experience with what happens when their 60+30day tourist visa (issued after Oct 1st) expires and then they try to go to like the Cambodian border for example, and then try to come back in same day with a 30day visa exempt stamp... I am in this 'lab rat' group because I am here on a tourist visa that was activated when I arrived on the 17th of October... I have nightmares of being stranded in Poi Pet and not being allowed back into Thailand.. and I have to rinse and repeat (ie. border run) 3 times to get me to March 2007 when I want to leave Thailand.

Really eagar to see what will happen but it will be too late for me anyway I guess; being in this pioneering group.

den remmebr to post here becuz i'll be 1 of them tt will step in in decemember..

If I go to Panang to get another tourist visa after being here 3 months, do I need to stay out of Thailand for 3 months before coming back?

Wizzard, I see your question has not been answered yet. The answer is no, you don’t have to stay out of Thailand for 3 months.

With a new tourist visa from Penang, you will be given permission to stay in Thailand for 60 days. If you wish, before the end of these 60 days you can go to any immigration office in Thailand and apply for a 30-day extension of permission to stay; fee 1,900 Baht. You may want to go to Kuala Lumpur or Singapore instead to apply for your visa; these consulates at present are reported to still give a double-entry tourist visa, while Penang and other consulates in the region have started giving only a single-entry tourist visa.

---------------

Maestro

P.S. Let me add that the period of permission to stay you are given upon entry into Thailand with a tourist visa depends on your nationality, which you did not indicate. It can be 60 days or 30 days.