Soi Buakhao Is Spelt Many Ways

tropo

I have noticed that Soi Buakhao in Pattaya is spelt many ways.

I understand that Thai words need to be translated into English, but are there correct spellings in English for Thai words, or are they open to interpretation and variations are acceptable.

Depends on the translator and the system of phonetic representation he is using. Remember what you read in English is not a translation but a transcription using a combination of characters to give an approximation to the Thai sound. Many times I've seen westerners showing Thais the names of restaurants etc where they want to go and ending up perplexed that the Thai hasn't a clue. I used to work in Ao Udom (Sriracha) and I counted five or six different spellings on official signs.

Walking there the other day I though maybe it should just be re-named to Peckham High St.

I would guess it will get quiet empty after Christmas when all of the Cheap Charlies have had their 3 x 30day VOA. Either that or it will be callied soi overstay.

Who loves my Avatar

Edited by fourbaht

You can spell it any way you want to. It is not possible to have an exact standard because many of the thai sounds do not have an equivilant in english.

For example the Weekend Market in Bangkok is reffered to as Chatachak or Jatujak. To be 100% correct you would need a letter somewhere between "j" and "ch" but in english there is no such thing.

Edited by COBBER

Why can't they just also name it "Soi White Lily", making it easier to pronounce

For example they did this to Thanon Wittayu = Wireless road in BKK

When I first went to pattaya, no thai understood what I meant when I say...

Lotus...... to the thais is = Lotad, or Lotat

and

Carefour......to the thais is = Carefu

Just so confusing!

Why can't they just also name it "Soi White Lily", making it easier to pronounce

For example they did this to Thanon Wittayu = Wireless road in BKK

When I first went to pattaya, no thai understood what I meant when I say...

Lotus...... to the thais is = Lotad, or Lotat

and

Carefour......to the thais is = Carefu

Just so confusing!

What a good idea.. every time a farrang doesnt understand something lets change the name so that they can.. :o

The mrs bought something from a shop the other day and on the bag it said "Soi Boakhow"

I agree with the Op's way of spelling it :o

Can anyone explain the meaning of "moo" used in an address. eg. my address is Moo 12.

I was surprised that "Pattaya" is not used in my address here in Pattaya. Why is "Nongprue, Banglamung" used instead? Does anyone have an answer as to where these districts begin and end?

i've seen bank cards belonging to the same girl with a few different spellings of the surname. :D

she said it's normal in thailand :D ........I still think she was into credit fraud though. :o

Are the Thai bank cards written up in English?