rooster59

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

It is really sad. Brave Big sister giving her life for the younger one. RIP God Bless her soul.

Hope standard and educated way of life improves in Thailand. 5 on a motorbike is really no way to travel especially for young children. 

5 kids + some sort of mother, in fact. I've seen 5-up on a scooter before - just teenagers and nippers on the village street - but for this 'mother' to take her 5 kids, long distance on a dual-carriageway, simply beggars belief.

I believe that most Thais, as well as Farangs, know that the standard of driving, driver training, testing and licensing in Thailand is woefully short of that of most other countries; in fact, in road deaths per capita terms, Thailand is seldom out of the world's top 10 . . . some record for a country that, only a few years ago, was considered by many to be a major world player.

Road safety, driving standards and enforcement of the relevant laws all need urgent attention. Can P1 put his trusty broom to cleaning this mess up? I very much doubt it.

sak-nak floods, prayut late clean-up.jpg

4 hours ago, Wiggy said:

1. Wider context. 

2. I don't recall saying I knew everything about it. 

Now, come on you guys . . . stop your petty squabbling, when a family lies in tatters.

I suppose it's easy to mock Thai people in their mode of transport for their family, but probably a m/c is all they can afford, i'm sure they would love the comfort and safety of a car, saying that it's pretty foolish to put the families lives at risk this way, as this tragic accident proves! RIP to the little girl and hope the the rest of the family make a full recovery, but unfortunately will still have to live with the memory of the girl!

6 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

snapped close to where I live

59ab6e5310476__DSC0177(Large).jpg.f3111d57bbd6b505225ba589df3fae55.jpg

notice how only Mom's and Dad's brains are worthy of any protection

You must not have gotten on a plane lately. Every safety drill on an aircraft urges us to put on our gas or oxygen masks 1st. Before we do it for the children.  It has been standard advice for many years.

The parents in this case are merely following the same logic. 

27 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

I suppose it's easy to mock THAI people in their mode of transport for their family, but probably a m/c is all they can afford, i'm sure they would love the comfort and safety of a car

Only Thailand ?

Not also common pratice in other nearby countries such as Myanmar (Burma) , Laos, Indonesia, Phillipines, Vietnam, Cambodia etc??

2 minutes ago, Gregster said:

Only Thailand ?

Not also common pratice in other nearby countries such as Myanmar (Burma) , Laos, Indonesia, Phillipines, Vietnam, Cambodia etc??

Well i don't doubt that, i was purely commenting on this particular accident here in Thailand!

If you have been here any length of time you know some people have no choice than to put 5 or 6 on a motorbike, what choice do they have. Anyone here up to donating a car for families to use when they only have a motorbike for transportation. A tragic accident but what are poor people to do. 

The piss taking squad is happy they all got their tow cents in but they haven't changed a thing.

My best wishes to the family in their time of need

34 minutes ago, moe666 said:

If you have been here any length of time you know some people have no choice than to put 5 or 6 on a motorbike, what choice do they have. Anyone here up to donating a car for families to use when they only have a motorbike for transportation. A tragic accident but what are poor people to do. 

The piss taking squad is happy they all got their tow cents in but they haven't changed a thing.

My best wishes to the family in their time of need

Did She really have to make the journey at all ?

Did She really have to take all her kids ?

Did She need to go at that time in the night ?

Yes a tragic accident, but avoidable 

Sad to hear about the injured and little person that died, truly.  

It blows my mind every time we (myself, wife and her son) get into the car (Toyota Fortuner for safety).  Every single time, I have to "gently ask or remind" about using the seatbelt....  Almost a look of "up yours farang", "whats the problem" or a long painful sigh of being inconvenienced.  It's almost daily ritual.  There is no progress, or day without having to go through "the ritual"....amazing.  I wouldn't want to be a teacher in this country......

1 hour ago, Maggusoil said:

You must not have gotten on a plane lately. Every safety drill on an aircraft urges us to put on our gas or oxygen masks 1st. Before we do it for the children.  It has been standard advice for many years.

The parents in this case are merely following the same logic. 

"The parents in this case are merely following the same logic. "

There's a tiny flaw in your comment. When an aircraft experiences problems and oxygen masks are required, there are masks for everyone, thus parents once breathing properly are capable of then assisting children.

In the case in point here, no provision whatever was made by the mother for protection of her children's heads.This is almost SOP for vast numbers of Thais, mostly poorer and in rural areas, since in urban areas, police sometimes actually get off their r sez and stop riders without helmets.

Helmet use is mandated by law, although you'd never know it. Many Thais wear their helmets without securing the chin strap, which indicates to me that they are more concerned with saving B200 on a petty fine from the odd cop as opposed to losing their life by damaging their cranium

Many on this forum might question whether the contents of their crania are worth protecting anyway.

Edited by ratcatcher

only 6 on the bike??  couldn't fit more?

perhaps the mother will reason she crashed was because she was not wearing the right lucky amulet??

perhaps one day thai surgeons will devise a procedure to attach the brain stem to the brain

Well i don't doubt that, i was purely commenting on this particular accident here in Thailand!

Yes of course. No problem at all. I just wanted to remind some of the forum, who may not be aware, that this practice (of zero m/c safety/policing of locals whilst fining farangs) is widespread throughout S.E. Asia and not just limited to Thailand.

14 minutes ago, Gregster said:

Yes of course. No problem at all. I just wanted to remind some of the forum, who may not be aware, that this practice (of zero m/c safety/policing of locals whilst fining farangs) is widespread throughout S.E. Asia and not just limited to Thailand.

That isnt true .Both Thais and Felangs get stopped and fined by the Police

What a sad story to awake and read before my coffee.   

RIP

I didn't read the last 5 pages of posts.   

But if any farang thinks  or defends riding so many in a scooter I want to to have a row with you.  Last time this debate came up I was agast at how many if you defended the poor who have no other way to travel.   Your attitude needs change or how else can we expect the people ignorant of physics to change? 

I hold back my cuss words for you.  

That isnt true .Both Thais and Felangs get stopped and fined by the Police

Yes of course S.E. Asian nationals get fined by the police in their respective countries. In regards to the topic, when was the last time you saw one fined for carrying too many pillion passengers?

2 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

"The parents in this case are merely following the same logic. "

There's a tiny flaw in your comment. When an aircraft experiences problems and oxygen masks are required, there are masks for everyone, thus parents once breathing properly are capable of then assisting children.

In the case in point here, no provision whatever was made by the mother for protection of her children's heads.This is almost SOP for vast numbers of Thais, mostly poorer and in rural areas, since in urban areas, police sometimes actually get off their r sez and stop riders without helmets.

Helmet use is mandated by law, although you'd never know it. Many Thais wear their helmets without securing the chin strap, which indicates to me that they are more concerned with saving B200 on a petty fine from the odd cop as opposed to losing their life by damaging their cranium

Many on this forum might question whether the contents of their crania are worth protecting anyway.

Maybe but the criteria here is as you say probably economic. Lets face it, there's not much common sense in much of Thailand. A positive attitude means that we are wearing our helmets to avoid the police fine and we won't have an accident anyway. If we're careful and Buddha wills it and we give to the monks etc etc. If we do have an accident its more important that we survive to take care of the kids that also survive.   Right?

Is that common sense? Or the logic of LOS.(S) ?        Better not go any further

Just now, Thongkorn said:

God did not kill her, her Parents stupidity did,

I would agree, but Moonmoon believes in an all powerful magic man in the sky so I just wanted to know which god exactly failed to protect the kids from the dangerous mother.  I wanted to scratch that god of my list of worship candidates.  I want the god who does something other then "blessing souls".

3 minutes ago, csabo said:

I would agree, but Moonmoon believes in an all powerful magic man in the sky so I just wanted to know which god exactly failed to protect the kids from the dangerous mother.  I wanted to scratch that god of my list of worship candidates.  I want the god who does something other then "blessing souls".

Also the parents probably will not grieve long , as buddhist they believe that the children will be born again ,

I actually saw a young lad get killed, His parents came to the exact spot the next day, they lit a jos stick , said a few Buddhist prays and said,"well he has gone to be a better person " They walked away and went for something to eat, not one tear,

Edited by Thongkorn

6 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

Also the parents probably will not grieve long , as buddhist they believe that the children will be born again ,

How do you know they were Buddhists?

Edited by csabo