October Holiday

mogandave

Planning a one week trip in mid-October with wife and kids and we have it narrowed down to Singapore, Phuket or Chiang Mai.

1. What's the weather like in Chiang Mai in October? Looks good from what I've read with Google, but what about the smoke and whatnot?

2. Thinking about staying at the Holiday Inn 318/1 Lamphun Road, is this a pretty good choice? I have enough IHG point to stay free, but if the location is poor I would rather rent somewhere else.

3. Is there a nice place to stop on the way up from Bangkok? I can drive it in a day, but is there’s a nice place for a stopover I might do that.

4. What are the best days and or times to drive up and back?

5. Any good fishing?

6. I would welcome other hotel and or activity recommendations

The Holiday Inn is lovely... just like Holiday Inns in every other city. In fact, unless you go to the souvenir shop and look at a postcard, you might not even realize that you are in Thailand... if that is the sort of vacation you like.  Or... you can stay in a nice boutique hotel inside the Old City, a place that 'feels and looks' like Chiang Mai. That will also put you within walking distance of most of Chiang Mai's attractions. Holiday Inn is a bit away from things, although still just a taxi ride away. 

Fishing in Ping river or in designated ponds , nothing special, not really a fishing destination.

Location of Holiday inn, a bit out of town, but if you have a car it should not have to be a problem. 

October is low season so any day to drive in seems to be good, you might want to consider not to drive in or out when the Thai have days off because of the former King's funeral.

Other activities:

Jungle trekking, Temple visits, Elephant camps, Golfing, Just walking around in the old city visiting markets and shopping, enjoy the 100's of restaurants from all over the globe. cooking classes, night safari, royal park, etc etc.