Kuala Lumpur Embassy!

So, I'm here in Kuala Lumpur for a few days applying for a Tourist visa.

I flew over on the 1st of this month, not even 12 hours before said flight, I see they declared it a holiday on Monday (when I planned to apply for my visa)! There is nothing said on the official website about this holiday, nothing said on their Facebook page, which they've updated since the declaration of holiday! My flight leaves on Tuesday at 9pm, its supposedly a 2 day process!

So I have 2 questions here:

1. Does anyone know if the embassy will actually be closed? 4 days closed seems a bit odd to me?

2. If it is closed, can I formally complain and apply for my visa on Tuesday and pick it up later that day?

Wouldn't surprise me, it's Raya, a traditional time to visit family. It's Asia, go with the flow, don't be disheartened, maybe you'll need to lose your flight, get the train back. Worse things happen at sea. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

21 minutes ago, SicTransit said:

Where did you see it declared as a holiday then if it’s not on any of the official sources?

KL embassy is one of the least friendly embassies and I would imagine formal complaints won’t get you anywhere with them.

I just saw it on the internet somewhere, can't remember where exactly. Some people here know of the holiday, some people don't. 

There's a video I found on Youtube of a guy coming here to do the same as me, he applied on a Thursday, found out it was a holiday on Friday and asked if he could get his visa the same day. He successfully did so! 

Might have to go this route.

Today is not a holiday at the embassy. Here is their list of holidays for this year. http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/images/text_editor/files/RTE KL Holidays 2017 revd.pdf

September 1st was a holiday perhaps that is where the mix up came from.

September 1 Friday Eid al-Adha (Hari Raya Qurban)

September 22 Friday Islamic New Year (Awal Muharam / Maal Hijrah)

The Prime minister has declared Monday a holiday to celebrate success in the SEA Games. He only did so on Thursday. Whether the embassy will observe the holiday I don't know. But today is a public holiday in Malaysia.

Today is definitely a public holiday in Malaysia.

To the OP the Embassy in KL only issue something like 150 visas per day. If you are not there early before the doors open with all the correct paperwork you will not be able to apply. The last time I went to KL, 45 minutes after opening the doors they stopped anymore visa applications that day.

Yes, its a 2 day process, apply in the morning then go and pick up the following afternoon.

• Like 1

KL has always been a 2 day process for tourist visas.

Today is a holiday in KL.

One should always do their planning before visa runs.

If intending to stay in Thailand for any extended period it is a requirement by law that the person obtains and provides the correct visa for their purpose of stay.

25 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Today is a holiday in KL.

One should always do their planning before visa runs.

But not a scheduled holiday.

Apparently the OP did plan his trip. It is a little hard to plan for a unscheduled holiday.

• Like 2

You can never be very sure of anything you try to do at the embassy in KL. It is not one of the friendly Thai embassies. And that combined with that it has a small uncomfortable little waiting room where people might constantly be climbing over you or brushing past as you wait your hour to be called back to the window and told to bring back extra documents you weren't aware of needing. It is a dice roll at best.

UPDATE:

Kuala Lumpur Embassy WAS open today, a lot of the shops and restaurants are too! The restaurant right near my hotel, which was closed on Friday for the holiday, is open today!

I successfully applied and paid for my Tourist without any real problem, all the staff were quite nice, in fact!

One thing to note is I was (very nicely and casually) asked why my onward flight  (21 Sept.) was so close to my date of arrival into Thailand.

I made up a story of going travelling with my brother at this time but I wasn't sure exactly when he'd go. The lady totally bought it!

She did suggest that if I stay for such a short period I should save my money and get another exemption.

I told her I'm fine with paying for the SE, and so I did! I'll be picking the visa up tomorrow! 

2 hours ago, soon2bexpat said:

Today is definitely a public holiday in Malaysia.

To the OP the Embassy in KL only issue something like 150 visas per day. If you are not there early before the doors open with all the correct paperwork you will not be able to apply. The last time I went to KL, 45 minutes after opening the doors they stopped anymore visa applications that day.

Yes, its a 2 day process, apply in the morning then go and pick up the following afternoon.

It says on their gate that its 130 visa per day, they might've changed it since the 150 days.