Engineer charged with murder for shooting teen over car-park row in Chon Buri

webfact

Engineer charged with murder for shooting teen over car-park row

By The Nation

The Chon Buri chief public prosecutor on Monday charged an engineer with murder with intent for shooting to death a 17-year-old student in a case that has divided social media users.

Chon Buri chief public prosecutor Chingchai Chotesaeng read the charge to Suthep Poshsomboon at the Chon Buri Public Prosecutor Office. Suthep was also charged with carrying a gun in public without justification.

The shooting took place on February 4 in Chon Buri’s Muang district following a dispute over car parking at a local market in Ang Sila between Suthep and a group of teenagers. The dispute was followed by a road-rage incident and a fist fight. 

Suthep argued that he shot the teenager in self-defence when the teenager and his friends blocked his car with their van and surrounded his car.

He said he feared for his and his wife’s safety.

There has been heated online debate on the incident after the victim’s mother, sister and friends made strong public comments.

Celebrities have also voiced their opinions on social media, with many sympathising with the engineer. 

While many people say the shooting was justified, many others have demanded justice for the slain boy.

Chingchai said four teenagers who surrounded Suthep’s car were charged with attacking the authorities who had intervened. They were also charged with collaborating to carry out assaults.

Chingchai said the van driver was also charged with obstructing traffic for blocking Suthep’s car.

Chingchai said he tried to be fair to both sides.

After hearing the charges, Suthep talked to reporters with tears in his eyes.

He said he would defend himself in court. 

He said he was simply trying to defend himself and his wife, so he did not expect to be charged with murder with intent.

He questioned why the teens had not been charged with murder.

“Did they have to kill me or my family first,” he said.

Sahaparp Wongthamcharoen, the father of the slain schoolboy, said on Monday that had the public prosecutor not charged Suthep with murder, he would have filed a lawsuit with a court.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30325723

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-09-04

Well, I'll divide social media a little bit more then, he should not have been charged with murder, I remember this incident and believe that at the time the poor guy and his wife were pretty well intimidated by the dead scrote and his bully boy mates.

Life is a difficult thing to learn and you learn by your mistakes, the dead kid ain't gonna intimidate anyone else and neither are his mates if they have an ounce of gumption.

I don't believe that the engineer should have had an unlicensed gun in his car either, so charge him with manslaughter and carrying an unlicensed firearm in public, fine him and send him on his way.

Unfortunately the mob mentality is alive and kicking in the Kingdom, and uncouth youths believe that they can do as they please because they think that the mob rules, Wrong, it does not.   

3 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Go to jail 20 years would be good.

He had a loaded gun in his car then used it on the kid.

The kids were no good but none of them deserved to die.

the guy still had options but went for murder instead . :bah:

He feared for the life of himself and his wife.

What options did he have ?

He was defending himself and his wife from at best a beating. Worst case death and rape. We have all seen how far a gang of angry Thais can go. Maybe he could have fired a warning shot. Maybe he didn't have chance. Whatever, he doesn't deserve a murder charge. Manslaughter at worst. Better still charge with carrying a firearm in public. The gang of lads should be prosecuted heavily to send a message. The t urd that died, oh well that's Darwinism.. He brought fists to a gun fight.

26 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

He feared for the life of himself and his wife.

What options did he have ?

Agree next best thing would be to run them over to get the hell out if there

They took the argument on & ended up second best just like all over Thailand

People other than law enforcement officers that carry loaded guns around in there

car,  are not good citizens. when people understand that the rest kind of falls into place. 

Some of options he had,  car still worked,  fire a few warning shots.

He chose murder instead.

Defending his family,   i would agree if it was not Thailand, defending his Face and Ego is more the truth in Thailand. TIT.

Agree the gang should be prosecuted .

There was no good guys here.

Reckon his family will never forget the day there dad killed someone in front of them.

Go to jail, bad citizens with guns :bah:

2 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

People other than law enforcement officers that carry loaded guns around in there

car,  are not good citizens. when people understand that the rest kind of falls into place. 

Some of options he had,  car still worked,  fire a few warning shots.

He chose murder instead.

Defending his family,   i would agree if it was not Thailand, defending his Face and Ego is more the truth in Thailand. TIT.

Agree the gang should be prosecuted .

There was no good guys here.

Reckon his family will never forget the day there dad killed someone in front of them.

Go to jail, bad citizens with guns :bah:

So if he used the car to run them over (and they died) things would be ok then ?

1 hour ago, Techno Viking said:

So if he used the car to run them over (and they died) things would be ok then ?

So your scenario is someone always has to die ?

Wonder what nationality you are and what pastimes you had before Thailand.

tricky one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember bad guys have guns in Thailand, not the good guys. 

apart from the obvious ones.

1 hour ago, stanleycoin said:

Better if they beat him to death (very possible in this country) .  He feared for his and his families safety. Clear self defense

8 minutes ago, Deez said:

Better if they beat him to death (very possible in this country) .  He feared for his and his families safety. Clear self defense

The incident was provoked by his sense of "safety" in having his "equaliser" with him in the car.

That's why he felt so confident in initially hurling abuse at them (because he was impatient) and in provocatively using his vehicle horn (that is very provocative in Thailand) when subsequently passing them.

He initiated/provoked it because he was tooled up, and felt and acted like Mr Big.

That's what gun ownership does to little men.

Edited by Enoon

2 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

I will not loose any sleep regarding the death of this thug. It is the other three accomplishes that should

be charged with his death. That said I do think the

engineer should be charged with having an unlicensed gun. A fine and move on.

Edited by Ulic

3 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

What exactly were his options?

1 hour ago, manarak said:

Thailand needs to find a way to improve the system so that impulsive and violent little shits are taken out of the system before they can get their hands on weapons.

yes its pretty much young violent idiots meet older violent idiot,

they do breed em in numbers here thats for sure,

"they" arent going to fix it cause "they" use coups and violence

at the highest level anyway.

which also alludes to why there are so many like that,

'monkee see monkee do'

2 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Teenage Thais.... what's to be done with them.

Thai adults.... what's to be done with them.

avoid confrontations if possible

if not, get the flook outta there

if not, wai like you just met Bhudda

5 hours ago, Pdaz said:

He was defending himself and his wife from at best a beating. Worst case death and rape. We have all seen how far a gang of angry Thais can go. Maybe he could have fired a warning shot. Maybe he didn't have chance. Whatever, he doesn't deserve a murder charge. Manslaughter at worst. Better still charge with carrying a firearm in public. The gang of lads should be prosecuted heavily to send a message. The t urd that died, oh well that's Darwinism.. He brought fists to a gun fight.

When the cops sold my friend a gun, they advised. "Always shoot twice"     A warning shot and a shot to kill. In either order. Get it?

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Chon Buri chief public prosecutor Chingchai Chotesaeng read the charge to Suthep Poshsomboon at the Chon Buri Public Prosecutor Office. Suthep was also charged with carrying a gun in public without justification.

Yes of course 

no guns, no guns

He should carry a 120 cm sword (or machet) that is absolutely street legal in LOS. 

You don't believe me ?!!! Ask taxi drivers. 

Edited by Foozool

Engineer charged with murder in shooting death of teenager in road-rage dispute

By The Nation

0a478faadc4fcf06442b3f97e69315be.jpg

CHON BURI: -- AN ENGINEER was yesterday charged with murder for shooting to death a 17-year-old student following a road-rage incident in February.

Chon Buri chief public prosecutor Chingchai Chotesaeng read the charge to Suthep Poshsomboon at the Chon Buri Public Prosecutor Office. 

Suthep was also charged with carrying a gun in public without permission. 

The shooting took place on February 4 in Chon Buri’s Muang district following a dispute over a car parking space at a local market in Ang Sila involving Suthep and a group of teenagers. 

The dispute was followed by a road-rage incident and a fistfight. 

Suthep argued that he shot the teenager in self-defence when the teenager and his friends blocked his car with their van and surrounded his car. He said he feared for the safety of himself and his wife, who was also in the vehicle. 

There has been heated online debate about the incident after the victim’s mother, sister and friends made strong public comments.

Celebrities have also voiced their opinions on social media, with many sympathising with the engineer. While many people say the shooting was justified, many others have demanded justice for the slain teenager.

Chingchai said four teenagers who surrounded Suthep’s car were charged with attacking authorities who had intervened. They were also charged with collaborating to carry out an assault. 

He said the van driver was also charged with obstructing traffic for blocking Suthep’s car. 

After hearing the charges, Suthep addressed reporters with tears in his eyes and said he would defend himself in court. 

He said he had been simply trying to defend himself and his wife and he did not expect to be charged with murder. 

He also questioned why the teenagers had not been charged with murder. “Did they have to kill me or my family first?” he asked. 

As of press time, Suthep was trying to get bail with Bt500,000 assets put up as collateral. 

Sahaparp Wongthamcharoen, the father of the slain schoolboy, said he would have filed a lawsuit if the public prosecutor had not charged Suthep with murder.

“It is not appropriate for people who carry arms in public places, use them and claim that the usage is for self defence. All these children were unarmed,” he said. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30325780

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-09-05

1 hour ago, nausea said:

I blame Charles Bronson.

I blame the gun. Without the gun, Suthep would not have felt quite so powerful in the first place to get into this scrap with the young men. 

If you're going to bring a gun to a fight, be prepared to use it and deal with the consequences. I have zero use for a gun. If one day I decide that I should carry one in my car, I'd have to ask myself serious questions as to why I'm doing that. I would be able to calculate the risks and the reward.  

Gun's can exacerbate a complex. That's dangerous in itself. You can't go around shooting people for threatening you. I'm sure if he had pointed the gun at them, or even as a last resort, dangerously fired it in the air, it would have scared them off. 

34 minutes ago, neeray said:

I blame the gun. Without the gun, Suthep would not have felt quite so powerful in the first place to get into this scrap with the young men. 

I blame the gang of thugs including the dead one. 

If they would not have threatened the engineer nothing bad would have happened

15 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

i think your options are pretty limited if you are surrounded by a bunch of thai punks...his only option was to have his wife and family hurt/killed...possession of an unregistered weapon is the guy's only crime.