Quickest way from Samui to Penang and back?

finy

As another member posted, flying is the quickest, but I suspect that it would be quite expensive.

I did a visa run to Malaysia a while back to Kota Baru with one of the visa run companies. It was leave early one morning, back to the island the next day in the late afternoon/early evening. A long trip, but well-managed. PM me if you want the details.

I think you are looking at two days minimum.

Cheers

Agree with Samui Budoh, talk to one, or some, of the Visa-run tour companies about your possibilities. I also did the Kota Baru run once – many years ago now – and everything worked smooth and was well arranged...:smile:

On 8/28/2017 at 9:52 PM, SidJames said:

Just to update this post but I've used eurodesign who are on the same road now near the fruit & veg market as you drive to the Suk.

Bring a heavy reinforced wallet but the design standards & work are excellent.

They use treated board with any timber laminate that you may want along with many other finishes in basically any colour that you may desire.

They have Thai staff fluent in English who are overseen by European management who are multi-lingual.

Basically an ex-pat company that's been around a while that offers guarantees.

Edited by moonseeker
+1, good company been around almost 20 years and have their own fabrication. MS>

Thanks guys!

Didnt know there was an embassy there. I'll definitely ask about it when booking travel.

Found out you can leave 8am here and reach Penang by 11pm on bus, so in time to apply for visa next morning.

Train arrival in Butter is 1pm and extra day.

Only thing now is how to get back from Penang. I'm guessing it will be a minibus to Surat Thani via Hat Yai, but probably night there and boat in morning.

Forget about flying to KL from Samui. With the duopoly, flights were 20k+ last time I checked. Saw some old lady even paying 27k. Better make your way to Surat Thani and fly from there to KL/SG and then on to Penang or try the Kota Baru embassy.

The easiest way although probably not the cheapest - but still very reasonable is just book a return with air Asia from samui to KL  for visa run

its a single booking with air Asia and includes ferry from lipa noi in samui to don Sak - bus to surat thani or Nakhon si tammarat then return flights to KL from there - I've done that route three times - could do it all in a day but I usually overnight in a cheap KL airport hotel 

I was looking for the same a few months ago. I wanted to spend only two nights in Penang and I didn't want to wait too long on the airport.

I flew USM - BKK, changed the airport and took Air Asia to Penang on Tuesday. Applied for the visa on Wednesday via an agent, paid an "express" fee and picked up the passport on Thursday at 12pm. I went straight to the airport, back with Air Asia to DMK, changed the airport again and was back for dinner on Samui. I used the online check in for the last flight, which gives you more time, when the immigration takes longer than expected. You should be at the gate 40 minutes before departure (no luggage).

4,000 Baht return with the resident card plus about 5,000 Baht for the Air Asia flights.

Another reasonable option I found: USM - HKT - PEN, but with about 5 or 6 hours on the airport, if I remember correctly. And you can't make it back to Samui the same day, you get the visa.

Singapore and Kuala Lumpur are fine as well, but you will need 3 nights for the visa run.

Edited by GustavGans

15 hours ago, GustavGans said:

I was looking for the same a few months ago. I wanted to spend only two nights in Penang and I didn't want to wait too long on the airport.

I flew USM - BKK, changed the airport and took Air Asia to Penang on Tuesday. Applied for the visa on Wednesday via an agent, paid an "express" fee and picked up the passport on Thursday at 12pm. I went straight to the airport, back with Air Asia to DMK, changed the airport again and was back for dinner on Samui. I used the online check in for the last flight, which gives you more time, when the immigration takes longer than expected. You should be at the gate 40 minutes before departure (no luggage).

4,000 Baht return with the resident card plus about 5,000 Baht for the Air Asia flights.

Another reasonable option I found: USM - HKT - PEN, but with about 5 or 6 hours on the airport, if I remember correctly. And you can't make it back to Samui the same day, you get the visa.

Singapore and Kuala Lumpur are fine as well, but you will need 3 nights for the visa run.

That's a very expensive way of doing it and you don't need to fly all the way to Bangkok - just searched on air Asia return from samui to Kuala Lumpur is 3000 baht going the route I mentioned in my original post 

1 hour ago, Bigdogfarang said:

That's a very expensive way of doing it and you don't need to fly all the way to Bangkok - just searched on air Asia return from samui to Kuala Lumpur is 3000 baht going the route I mentioned in my original post 

I think they went to Penang to apply for Multiple entry non-B.

Penang is the only place in SEA that will issue one.

Yes, it had to be the Thai consulate in Penang.

There other options, if you don't mind spending three nights in Penang for that trip - or at least two there and one in another place. Like flying via Phuket, Kuala Lumpur or Singapore. The problem on the way back is always, that you need a connecting flight in the evening to Samui after you picked up your passport and went from Penang to airport x.

I booked my Air Asia tickets just one week in advance. If you book a few months ahead of the trip, that will cost you less than 3,000 Baht return.

Since Firefly doesn't offer flights from/to Samui anymore, there is no quicker option for that particular visa run. Depending on how much time you want to have between your flights in Bangkok, you need just under 6 hours to get from Samui airport to Penang airport.

Edited by GustavGans

On 9/11/2017 at 3:42 PM, Bigdogfarang said:

The easiest way although probably not the cheapest - but still very reasonable is just book a return with air Asia from samui to KL  for visa run

its a single booking with air Asia and includes ferry from lipa noi in samui to don Sak - bus to surat thani or Nakhon si tammarat then return flights to KL from there - I've done that route three times - could do it all in a day but I usually overnight in a cheap KL airport hotel 

All flights from NST go to Don Muang, no flights to KL from NST unless you go via Bangkok.

For those able to plan ahead Bangkok Air has lately had some promotions with Samui to KL fares at 4,500 rt. Evening flight and morning return. Bus, train and air link to Penang. Not shortest trip time but you are on Samui most of both departure and return days.

1 hour ago, Gulfsailor said:

If you take the bridge at the 420 before Suratthani total distance will be around  95km, but travel time is 15 minutes - 30 minutes less than driving through Suratthani. 

That is the new bridge route travel time according to Google earth