Advice for the future of a Thai/British citizen

Hello everyone,

as this is my first post, I will start by giving a brief introduction of myself.

I'm Frank, son to a British father and a Thai mother. I was born in Udon Thani but I moved to London when I just a few months old and I've been living here since. I currently hold a British passport as well as a Thai passport and ID card. As of writing this post I am 18 years old so I'm assuming I am younger than the majority of members here, which is why I have come to ask for advice. I live with both of my parents who I have of course already asked for advice but unfortunately they have not been able to give me much input. My mother comes from a small farming village not too far from Udon Thani city but left for Pattaya at around the age of 16 and my father completed his compulsory education and started working as a labourer at the age of 15 so as you can see they are not the most educated people, which is why they haven't been able to give me much advice.

I've always disliked school. I'm not sure why, but I loathed every minute of sitting in a classroom, putting pen to paper, watching the clock tick down. I didn't pay much attention in class and never really studied but I managed to get through my earlier years on natural intelligence alone. I completed my GSCEs two years ago. I didn't do amazing well but I managed to get a decent set of grades, 7 A*-C grades including an A* in math. After finishing my GCSEs I moved on to start doing A levels at college. This is where I started to hit a downwards slope. As I finished my GCSEs my father reached the retirement age of 65 and started talks of moving back to Thailand but decided that he would stay in London with me because he wanted me to finish college. Again, I did not study, missed a lot of my classes, and didn't pay much attention in the classes I did attend. Needless to say, I failed all of my A level exams. I reluctantly retook the year after constant talk of wasted talent. Not much changed except I found a job in a coffee shop and worked after classes. My newfound job probably didn't do much to help my education as it took up valuable time. I received my results just last month and yet again, I failed my exams.

One thing I did learn during my last year of college was that I enjoy working. If I had put as much effort into my A levels as I did at work, I probably would have passed my exams. It wasn't exactly a prestigious job I was working. It was a minimum wage job in a coffee shop for a company that tried cutting costs at every corner, but despite this I always made sure my work was done right, and done well. I worked there for just under a year before I quit as I've found a better paying job as a busboy in a nightclub where I've been for 2 months now.

So now for the decisions I will have to be making. As I've already failed my exams, retaking them again isn't really an option I am considering. My father is set on moving back to Thailand by the end of the year so I will have just a few months to sort everything out and decide what I will be doing. I currently live in council house with my parents which we rent. It's a three bedroom house so I would most likely have to give it up for a smaller flat once my parents leave. I'm guessing the option that would make the most sense is to stay in London and continue working but London isn't where my heart is. I've visited Thailand a few times as a child but I was too young to really remember those trips. I went back to Thailand for the first time since I was a child last year and then again this year in April and it changed my life. Meeting my mothers side of the family properly for the first time, I felt like I knew them better from the one month of seeing them than my fathers side of the family in London who I've known my whole life. My mothers family live a very different life than me. They don't have much. A lot less than me. My grandparents still work the rice fields and my cousins all do what they have to do to get by in Pattaya.

What I want to do is move back to Thailand. I don't speak Thai but I'm a fast learner and it probably wouldn't take long for me to pick it up. My main concern is finding work over in Thailand as all I have are GCSEs and there is also the issue of conscription. I know working over there I will be earning nothing close to what I'm earning in London but as long as I can find something with a relatively alright salary and decent prospects I'll be happy. My parents will be living back in the village near Udon Thani so I most likely won't be living with them if I go to Thailand. I'll most likely go to Pattaya where my cousins are working or even maybe even BKK if need be.

I know me moving to Thailand probably sounds like a bad idea, but if anyone could give me any advice on what kind of career I could pursue if I do decide to move there it would much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Slap some cold water on your face and either:

1) go back to school and apply yourself. You sound extremely intelligent from this post so it must be something else.

2) Keep working in London and stuff money away until you are 45. Then come to Thailand.

Until then, visit for a couple of weeks...have fun but DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT impregnate a Thai girl while you are here.

Good Luck.

At 18 you say your heart is not in London....at 18 I'm afraid you know nothing yet.Work for 5 or 10 years and re-think your plans.

stay where you are,you will earn far more in the uk.than what dreams are made of in Thailand.

my wife had 20yrs.in the uk.and worked her way up the ladder from equiv.of 5,000bht.a week to 35,000bht.a week.

work hard keep your nose clean and you will make something of your life.

10 minutes ago, meatboy said:

stay where you are,you will earn far more in the uk.than what dreams are made of in Thailand.

my wife had 20yrs.in the uk.and worked her way up the ladder from equiv.of 5,000bht.a week to 35,000bht.a week.

work hard keep your nose clean and you will make something of your life.

I see you have mentioned pattaya 3times in your posting.

one is where your mother went to work.

second all your cousins do what they have to do there.

and thirdly you say that is where you will proberly end up.

MY ADVICE DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.:shock1:

6 minutes ago, tonray said:

I'm calling possible false flag operation here. For an uneducated 18 year old with parents also without a high degree of education, the story is too well crafted and written. 

Agreed. It appears way too well written for a typical 18 year old. Also, I don't think most children would infer that their parents are ignorant because of a lack of education.  

53 minutes ago, tonray said:

I'm calling possible false flag operation here. For an uneducated 18 year old with parents also without a high degree of education, the story is too well crafted and written. 

OK.. but now he has no excuse.. Confirmed 18 yrs old.. Get back to school and earn your future. 

Unemployment is low/zero in Thailand so you'd get a job - but probably not the job you'd want. Non-fluency in Thai will hinder you getting a job at a 'Thai' company while minimal qualifications may hinder you getting a job at a multi-national where Thai may not be so essential. As others have said, retake the A levels. If you're going to get dragged along to Thailand with the family then maybe worth contacting the international schools here who are following the UK curriculum and see if they'd let you join to retake your A's (better chance if applying as a 'foreign' student relocating from the UK rather than as a 'Thai'). And use that time to also learn Thai. Costs won't be cheap, but see how they compare to what the cost of living would be for you if you stayed in London solo (not Soho).

Most of the posters on here are miserable old farts who're extremely jealous of younger guys moving to Thailand, hence their "advice" to stay home.

Ignore them, follow your dreams and come to Thailand, don't worry about work so much as you'll surely find something. For instance, you can teach English (you dont need a degree or anything) until you find something better. You're actually lucky as you have a support network here so it will be much easier for you to find opportunities and get help when needed. 

I came here 13 years ago when I was just 24 years old, and I was similar to you with no qualifications to speak of. I just hated life in the UK and coming to Thailand for the first time opened my eyes to how awesome my life could be, so I just went for it. I started out teaching English and after 3 enjoyable years I found something better... Nowadays I work online as a writer and I also trade Bitcoin, plus we also have a shop that's mostly run by my wife. We make very good money, we bought a house and car with cash, so I have proved it's possible to come here and have a good life here without "qualifications" and slaving away back in the UK until you're middle aged and miserable... 

Plus, you can always go back home if it doesn't work out, you're still young after all! 

Edited by Quack

Firstly, 5 GCSE's at A thru C is equivalent to an M6 certificate and would get you a place in a Thai university if that's of interest.

My daughter Thai/English was born in the UK but was raised and educated in Thailand.  She's 19 now and moved to the UK almost a year ago.  Took her a little while to acclimatise but lives and works in London sharing a flat with friends.  Although she misses Thailand, she has no intention of returning except for holidays.  After living in Thailand for most of her life, she accepts that the opportunities in the UK far outweigh any advantages by coming back to live here.

Think very carefully.

Given the literacy of your OP, I would suggest a TEFL course, learn Thai as fast as you can once you are here, and get a post teaching English. If that's not what you had in mind, find something you really enjoy in the UK, and work at it until you can afford to live in Thailand on income from investment. At your age, start with property.

The only lucrative work in Pattaya is the oldest profession. Stay away.

A very close school friend of mine was similar to yourself left school with 11 Gcse's all a and b's but flunked college.

Your qualifications will get you a very good apprenticeship in the UK. It will give you the opportunity to come and go from Thailand as you please later

Alternatively look for jobs companies that may have postings in Thailand. Your not stupid so do your research.

Use the time in the UK to learn Thai it will open numerous  doors  if you still decide  to come

It's not for me to say it can't be done, as it has, but there is little chance of success and will make it hard to return.

Especially without parents to support you in the UK

Working with your cousin's is not an option 

I don't believe you realise how hard it will be for you (assuming they are doing hard manual work in hot conditions)

Regarding conscription, I doubt the Thai forces would want you if you can't understand the orders being shouted at you. 

Being fluent in English (native speaker) and not needing a work permit, I think there would be quite a few interesting job openings for you here working for companies that need your language ability (tourism, export, etc).

(You don't need to know Thai to teach English. You just need to know how to teach English.)

You have done relatively well in your GCSE's.... you have failed to apply yourself in your A Levels. If I'm not mistaken, you have failed your A Levels after 3 attempts? (or was it 2?).

A Levels and similar methods of study are clearly not for you, however, you present a level of intelligence which would be wasted should you give up your education now. 

You would do well to approach some Universities based on your GCSE results, chance your luck through clearing, you may well find yourself suited to an *HND in a subject you enjoy - You don't have much time, the Uni term starts very soon (this week) but you still could get on a course this year. 

(* HND = Higher National Diploma - 2 years study which involves mostly coursework and less end of term examination)

Following an HND (2 years) you may find the road towards a degree opening up by entering a 3 year Degree course in the 2nd year. 

As other members have mentioned, you are clearly articulate and intelligent. Use this advantage and take care of the next 4 years. Unless you are planning to run your own business a degree is often the 'yes or no' towards getting a decent job.

Buckle down, once you have your degree and a foot in the door the work becomes much easier... you just need your foot in the door and to do that the majority of positions require a degree, even for a Thai Teaching in Thailand.

Edited by richard_smith237

Hi Frank great story, I am a great advocate of doing what you want. As you have asked for advice, you must be aware that Tesco has a very large presence in Thailand, why don't you go on line and find out about the opportunities they have for store management in Thailand. I have been told they pay their managers the equivalent that they pay in the UK ??. You could join one of the airlines, train as a pilot then transfer to a Thai airline, you have so many options, but they all require a level of education.

I also go along with what the other guys are saying bite the bullet and finish your education the world is your oyster. A lot of us can relate to how you feel ref education, the time spent is a lot shorter than the years you are going to have to work, education makes work a lot more enjoyable and gives more choice. Money doesn't buy you happiness but you will need it to live and to do the things it buys. I hope you sit and think about what we have said, and give it all a lot of thought, you will work for at least thirty years if you retire at fifty, if you make it big you could retire earlier, so I wish you luck in whatever you do, and keep posting.

22 hours ago, meatboy said:

I see you have mentioned pattaya 3times in your posting.

one is where your mother went to work.

second all your cousins do what they have to do there.

and thirdly you say that is where you will proberly end up.

MY ADVICE DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.:shock1:

as most have posted ,articulated,intelligent yet he says his future could be with his cousins in pattaya.

so can you tell us what that would be.

if its what I think it is,havnt your parents told you ANYTHING.

the more I think about what he has posted about the work his family,[in pattaya] have done and are doing now,this is a TROLL.

Edited by meatboy

1 Get back to school and get good qualifications.

2 Get a good job, setup a good privet Pension.

3 Visit your parents once or twice a year on holiday.

4 Once you have good qualifications, you might be able to get work in the oil industry on a rotational basis which will enable you to share your time off between the UK and Thailand. I did.

5 Learn Thai, as you are a Thai National as well, and don’t forget you can own property in Thailand.

6 Ten years down the line you could be married and have a family in the UK this will change your outlook, secure your future in the UK first.

7 If you do come to Thailand visit Pattaya once and you will see it is the arm pit of Thailand, there are better and nicer places to live in Thailand.

8 SET YOURSELF UP FIRST.              

Let me chip in. I am not a British but an Asian. As an advice to your generation, I would say, looking for opportunities in Asia, where the business is fast growing for the next few decades, is not so bad as others think. If you are entrepreneurial, this is where the big future is made. The economic gap will certainly narrow, and an average farang landing in Asia to have a good life might become a thing of the past.

I understand you got tired of classrooms and exams. I was like that in HS because it was forced. But I found a way. It is simply to getting myself interested in learning something specific, and focus on it. You could find technical/vocational schools in computer programming, architecture design, railway operation, hotel management or tourism business operation, real estate dealing, fashion design or dress making, whatever may interest you. Then, you got motivated to learn. You could study Thai for a year and go for Thai college for a couple of years for the vocation of your interest. You already have an advantage of English, and it should land you something. You could always go back to general education or higher anytime. You could even bring your Thai connection and language ability back to UK one day to find a company who wants to enter the market, or work as a business consultant for them.

5 hours ago, Icha said:

Oh, one more thing. Don't worry for conscription. You are not qualified. My son, with my non-Thai nationality, does not qualify for army career.

Very misleading. My son had to go through the draft process as he is a Thai citizen, regardless of the fact that I am a foreigner. The fellow in this case certainly does qualify. Whether he would ultimately be accepted because of a lack of Thai language skills, is another matter. 

In other words, luk kreung (half Thai-half foreign) men who also have Thai citizenship qualify for conscription. 

18 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Very misleading. My son had to go through the draft process as he is a Thai citizen, regardless of the fact that I am a foreigner.

Correct, i don't know where the op has got his information

Reading a few other questions regarding this matter on TV it seems that if you have lived out of the country and cannot speak Thai than you will not be accepted for the draft process but can still be called up if required 

However if his name is on the Tabian baan (house register) he would most certainly still be in the mix and thus will need to prove that he is an exception on his inability to understand thai