Suggestions for new phone please

Mister Fixit

My second excellent Nokia X2-00 has started to give up the ghost and I am after a replacement.  I have to say that these phones were about the best I have ever had, but it doesn't look as though there's anything like as good about now.  Before I ask about new phones, can anyone suggest somewhere that can repair them?  I live very near Pantip Ngam Wong Wan but no-one will do it.  The only thing that is wrong with it is that the sound from the earphone is very low, and I suspect it probably just wants cleaning by blowing out with compressed air.  The sounds from the speakers is still as excellent as ever. 

I am not a great fan of smartphones (probably because I made the mistake of buying an Asus Zenphone C a few years ago and which was the biggest heap of cr@p I have ever used).   Nor am I a great fan of Apple.

I have looked at a Samsung J2 Prime a few times, and had thought of buying it until I read about the poor internal storage on a thread on this board.  That was also an issue with the rubbish Asus.  

My budget is about 5 grand or less (Brexit has reduced my UK pension by about 20%) and I suspect after my problems with Asus phones that Samsung is probably the brand to go for.  That's if I want a smartphone of course.  I suspect I may be better off with one of the cheaper 'normal' non-smartphone Nokia phones, a little similar to the X2 but with less features.  

I don't want to be permanently on Facebook, Line, WhatsApp or any chat groups, just make phone calls, take a few snaps, maybe look at the net once in a while and perhaps have some music on it.  The one thing the phone has to have is a decent calendar with a loud tone like the Nokia I have.  These silly little tinkley tones that last one second on Android are useless.  

Any suggestions?

Nokia X2-00.jpg

Edited by Mister Fixit

I am still using an old Samsung Note 3. It runs like

a champ. With the new Note 8 out the price of new

older Notes keep dropping. Not sure what the go for

in Thailand but I would recommend looking at new

older top line phones.

My Samsung also gave up the ghost after many years of loyal service, a friend recommended a WICO Robby, ฿3990, dual sim, same size as a smartphone and all the features, I got mine from Numchai here in Pattaya, dont know if you have one near you.

As for ringtones and notifications, download Zedge, they have a ringtone and notification for every occasion :smile:

Maybe go to a shop or three and peruse the selection. Or use some of the web-based phone finder services. Decide on a screen size in your budget range. Then watch some Youtube reviews for your short-list.

You can easily and automatically back up stuff to your Googe Drive account.

You can find/make any ring-tone/sound you want. But check the volume in the shop.

Not that it is at all similar but the Nokia 3 is available for 4,750. 

And your mobile service provider likely has a line of budget phones, some similar to your old Nokia, but which will work on their modern networks.

For what it's worth, I have an Iris 870 Smart Phone from AIS.  It runs Android 5.1, has a Quad-Core 1.0 GHZ processor, 1 GB Ram, 8 Gb ROM and is dual SIM.  It takes excellent photos which is what I was interested in.  Has several camera options including night shots.  From memory it cost just under 4,000 Bht and is not locked to any particular network.  It works well and doesn't seem to suffer network drop-out.

I also use the "Line" app, which allows free Video calls to anywhere in the World wherever you have a WiFi connection.  A similar app is "WeChat" but without the feature of Line, which allows you to send and receive photos, files and voice.

Edited by Antioc

Have a look at online purchasing site called expansys,type in different brands,list of all there models prices come up.

Might b worth checking,lots of new models coming out of China nowadays,Vivo,Xiaomi,Huawei,Lenovo,try going for lesser known brands and older superseded models will save you lots,Sony make very good phones also.

You will always get the best deal from your phone provider if you sign up for a year's contract. At the sort of price you're looking at, you should be able to get a decent phone for next to nothing, plus you'll get to try them out first.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant