Can't believe the prices for imports here.

Sakeopete

It's not just import duties, it's excise taxes as well.

A domestically built 2-seater sports car would be a little cheaper, but still twice what one would pay in the US.

The class of vehicle determines the tax rate more than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, mogandave said:

It's not just import duties, it's excise taxes as well.

A domestically built 2-seater sports car would be a little cheaper, but still twice what one would pay in the US.

The class of vehicle determines the tax rate more than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yes your right just look at what Australia has just done to itself - Just letting every country dumping shit in its' backyard (now has no car industry ), & cant sell any products overseas since they are twice the price

Had to laugh when they thought they got a bargain of ( if not ) 5 % of the 30 % import duty of beef to Japan which would apply over something like 20 yrs ( complete idiots )

6 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

I think the US should adopt this policy as it would force many foreign companies to build plants in the US and employee US workers.

It's that way for pickup trucks, look into the Chicken Tax.  And realistically, even Honda, Toyota and Nissan produce cars domestically in the US market.  In fact, the "Japanese" cars often have higher domestic parts content than the big 3.  All pickup trucks offered for sale in the US market are produced in the NAFTA region.  But tariffs are a two way street - if we suddenly impose a 100% import duty on foreign cars, then Germany (the EU rather) and Japan are going to look for ways to retaliate.  That's why simplistic understandings of international trade are typically not valid.  And besides, car factories are increasingly automated; there just aren't that many jobs to go around in manufacturing these days.

On 9/7/2017 at 3:45 PM, Billy Bloggs said:

The OP was rabbiting on about a second hand car, dont think they carry great taxes on them,

I think you will find that although the value of the vehicle diminishes the value of the excise duty and tax does not to the same extent which is used vehicles are also expensive. 

It has been said above that many people don't pay the correct amount or even any tax so the government get it when they buy a flash motor. It is really as simple as that.

14 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:
On 9/7/2017 at 8:04 PM, Naam said:

no you did not. there's no requirement in Singapore to replace a 5 year or older car.

The Certificate of Entitlement is good for an initial period of 10 years.  It can be renewed for 5 or 10 years, at significant cost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certificate_of_Entitlement

convinced now that there is no requirement to replace cars 5Y and older?

31 minutes ago, dominique355 said:

Even cars assembled locally cost the double compared to e.g. USA.
Take a Toyota Camry full spec. Prize of car built in Thailand with low wages here costs the double of the same car built in the USA by US workers.
What's wrong here?

I don't think it's double the US cost but it is definitely more because the parts they bring in to assemble the cars here are taxed at 30% then the dealers add on their profit margin. I paid about $32,000US for my Mazda here in Thailand and the same car is about $24,000 in the US. That's about 33% more here in Thailand.

1 hour ago, dominique355 said:

Even cars assembled locally cost the double compared to e.g. USA.
Take a Toyota Camry full spec. Prize of car built in Thailand with low wages here costs the double of the same car built in the USA by US workers.
What's wrong here?

there's nothing wrong. this is Thailand, Thai tax/excise policies and regulations prevail. if you want to drive a car built in the USA by US workers live in the USA or in an import duty free jurisdiction such as Saudi Arabia or the Emirates. as simple as that.

I don't think it's double the US cost but it is definitely more because the parts they bring in to assemble the cars here are taxed at 30% then the dealers add on their profit margin. I paid about $32,000US for my Mazda here in Thailand and the same car is about $24,000 in the US. That's about 33% more here in Thailand.

Same engine as the US? Likely much smaller.

It is more to do with excise tax. If the cost of the engine is $3,000, 30% import duty would only add something more that $1,000 to the price of the car, not $8,000.

They import the engines for econo-cars and those prices are more in line with US prices, yes?

Despite the oft quoted 326% import tax on foreign built cars there are still some 'bargains' to be had. My German built car was only double the UK price :)  Just have to look carefully at the emissions, engine size and HP output brackets.

Go for big emissions, big cc and big HP and get shafted royally..

Edited by Pdaz

Despite the oft quoted 326% import tax on foreign built cars there are still some 'bargains' to be had. My German built car was only double the UK price :)  Just have to look carefully at the emissions, engine size and HP output brackets.
Go for big emissions, big cc and big HP and get shafted royally..

Yeah, so if you're happy with a dink engine in a sports car you only have to pay double the price.

What's the point of a nice car with a dink mill?

3 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Yeah, so if you're happy with a dink engine in a sports car you only have to pay double the price.

What's the point of a nice car with a dink mill?

How is a hand built 381hp turbo a "dink mill" ?

AMG.jpg.f046af0662e00f3f4aa216d5bf238d66.jpg

10 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Dink means small

Mill means engine

Ergo, dink-mill means small engine.

Reading is FUN-damental!

and i thought it was a english forum.

As stated this is Thailand you either buy the cars that are cheap, or you pay a lot more for something European, but whats the point of complaining, you are making that decision, no one is forcing you to buy an impractical open top car, or something with a 'german' badge.

second hand cars hold there price here, try buying any half decent second hand car for less than 100,000 baht, in the uk you can pick good older cars for 30,000 baht

Must admit I prefer a 6 or 8 cyl motor. But they all cross the CC, Emissions and HP tax barrier and thats when the 300% kicks in. Smallish powerful clean burning engines seem to solve the problem at the moment. Porsches new 2.0/2.5 litre turbo 4 is an example. Shame it doesn't sound like the a screaming flat 6 though :(

1 minute ago, Pdaz said:

Must admit I prefer a 6 or 8 cyl motor. But they all cross the CC, Emissions and HP tax barrier and thats when the 300% kicks in. Smallish powerful clean burning engines seem to solve the problem at the moment. Porsches new 2.0/2.5 litre turbo 4 is an example. Shame it doesn't sound like the a screaming flat 6 though :(

i have a flat four in my sunday drive.

1 minute ago, steve187 said:

As stated this is Thailand you either buy the cars that are cheap, or you pay a lot more for something European, but whats the point of complaining, you are making that decision, no one is forcing you to buy an impractical open top car, or something with a 'german' badge.

second hand cars hold there price here, try buying any half decent second hand car for less than 100,000 baht, in the uk you can pick good older cars for 30,000 baht

Yes, still reasonable residuals here for the right car.  I gave up worrying about the overseas price a long time ago.

Now I only worry about the affordability here.  I'd love a C63s coupe but just can't stretch to 9.9mil baht.

If in the UK I'd love a Mclaren but couldn't afford the 170 K GBP price tag either..

Did you mean to say An English forum"

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Same engine as the US? Likely much smaller.

It is more to do with excise tax. If the cost of the engine is $3,000, 30% import duty would only add something more that $1,000 to the price of the car, not $8,000.

They import the engines for econo-cars and those prices are more in line with US prices, yes?

Same engine but more horsepower in Thailand as the Thai models get the Japanese spec 2 liter engine with 165hp and in the US they get the North America version with 155hp. Some European countries get the 120hp detuned engine as import tax in some countries is based on horsepower.

Same engine but more horsepower in Thailand as the Thai models get the Japanese spec 2 liter engine with 165hp and in the US they get the North America version with 155hp. Some European countries get the 120hp detuned engine as import tax in some countries is based on horsepower.

Yeah, and you can buy a 400+ hp coupe in the US for about the same price as a top model Corella here.

I don't knock guys that want to spend the dough, it just takes all the fun out of it for me....

I have a buddy that just got a new rag-top Miata, it's a nice enough car, and does okay with the dink-mill...but with two old white guys in it, it feels a little too north Hollywood to me...