What was he thinking? Thai media pose question of driver who went the wrong way round a bend and killed a baby

webfact

What was he thinking? Thai media pose question of driver who went the wrong way round a bend and killed a baby

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GO23rk7Cml3T3bnUmD.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

SUPHANBURI: -- Thai Rath tried to get to the bottom of the horrific accident that saw a small baby die instantly and five others suffer severe injuries.

It emerges that the middle aged driver responsible for the carnage knew the area very well and had likely not been drinking.

But he had just had a massive row with his wife in front of relatives before driving off alone in a rage.

Earlier in the week a 20 second CCTV clip showed a grey pick-up going the wrong way round the Suan Taeng bend in Suphanburi. The pick-up - driven by 53 year old Wimon Phumkong - collided head on with a black vehicle carrying a mother and father, the six month old baby and a grandfather and grandmother.

Wimon remains in ICU and Muang Suphanburi police investigating are yet to talk to him.

But Wimon's wife Bamrung Phumkong, 49, spoke to Thai Rath Online reporters. She said that her husband lives in the area and knows it extremely well. He would not have been confused by the direction of the road.

He was also not suffering from any illness.

She said that shortly before the accident she had had a big argument with her husband in front of some relatives over buying some fish. Her husband had driven off in a furious rage.

She soon called him and when he didn't pick up she went to find him in another car. She then came upon the devastating scene at the accident site on the bend.

She said that her husband had given up drinking alcohol a long time ago. And he would not have had time in between their argument and the accident to have had a drink, she claimed.

Pratheuang Namdokmai of the Muang Suphanburi police said they were waiting until Wimon recovers sufficiently before proceeding with the case.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-08

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was he thinking? Hummm... what were all those who got drunk and

drive a car thinking? and all those those who drives recklessly and

with complete disregards to road and traffic laws were thinking?

i tell you what they were thinking, A. I'm OK i know how to drive,

B. Mi pen Rai, C. and if i get caught, i bribe the policeman...

so I'm good to go...

As most have suspected.

Not Drunk.

Not on Drugs.

Not a mistake turn in the wrong direction ( he knows the roads there well )

Just an angry, selfish Thai man.

Put him in jail for ever,  no if's or but's.

Give him a good kicking first,  you disgrace of a man. :bah:

Read to story carefully He was using his cell phone The wife had called him in the truck Having said that The child would most definitely be alive today had it been in a child seat strapped in 

From that standpoint the blame can also be put on the others shoulders as well as the angered man 

A death that could have been avoided 

48 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

Read to story carefully He was using his cell phone The wife had called him in the truck Having said that The child would most definitely be alive today had it been in a child seat strapped in 

From that standpoint the blame can also be put on the others shoulders as well as the angered man 

I read the story as you suggested only to find that the wife phoned him " and he didn't pick up" so not on the phone. Maybe post accident.

Please tell me if I have missed something.

In all fairness he was thinking about the fish argument and forgot that he was driving...

no car seat - parents possibly contributed to child's death...that should be included in any penalty phase...my guess it won't be b/c that is forward thinking in a reactionary lenient culture

53 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

Read to story carefully He was using his cell phone The wife had called him in the truck ......

"She soon called him and when he didn't pick up she went to find him in another car. She then came upon the devastating scene at the accident site on the bend."

Where does it say he was using his phone?

45 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

As you say the child would have survived the accident if it had been strapped in a child seat but that doesn't change anything the blame is always with the driver on the wrong carridgeway.

The accident could have beed avoided if the black pickup was not driving in the outside overtaking lane on an empty road the same as 99% of all Thai drivers do.

FACT:  Thailand is the most dangerous place to drive in the world, this means that Thai people are the worst and most dangerous drivers in the world.

The only way to change this is to get back to basics starting at childhood then all the rest and there is so much...

I can't be bothered what he was thinking, i'm more interested in what punishment he will get.

He's still lucky that only the baby died from his selfish action.

I'm also more interested what the police is thinking now, since it's their job to keep idiots like him off the road.

Edited by Thian

59 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

I see your point but it could have been avoided much easier if he had driven the correct way .

The blame deserves to be 100% on the idiot driving on the wrong side of the road.

He was thinking like many do here. I can drive on the wrong side of the road. I don't give a monkeys about other drivers as I don't signal, follow the rules and drive poorly. I can get away with breaking the law with a small fine. I have an attitude of me , me, me.

They are just some of things he was thinking as happens continually on the roads here. They are not improving and getting worse IMHO.

10 minutes ago, franklnooner said:

1000 baht reckless driving fine will Solve the problem.

The charge will be, "Reckless Driving Causing Death".  However, perhaps a Wai and a basket of tonic waters will be sufficient to get him off the hook.

Edited by Moti24

1 hour ago, realenglish1 said:

She called him and he didn't pick up. Ergo, he wasn't on his phone.