House Book Yellow Book Amphur Guidelines

I am having a nightmare getting the local Amphur to consider issuing a yellow book.

He just keeps saying I have to be married to the lady who's house I live in before i can get one.

I have no intention of marrying the lady as I already am married.

Are their any guidelines or process documents for Amphur that I can refer to, to try to move things forward.

What I've heard as being the usual requirement is:

- be the owner of a condo, or

- be the legal spouse of the Thai owner, or

- be the holder of a 30-year lease.

If the OP is basically a renter and has no official connection to the chanote, would any amphur issue him a yellow book?

Edited by mahjongguy

We moved in a few weeks ago to a house we own, well, own in the 'Thai fashion'.   On the off chance, while my wife was changing her blue book to the new place, I asked about a yellow book.  The answer I was given, was that I needed to be  living here, on a continuous basis, a bit longer than 3 months before they would consider it, a year was mentioned.  Clearly they make it up as they go along.  I will keep asking each 90 days until one of us gives up.  I suspect that it will be me!

22 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

We moved in a few weeks ago to a house we own, well, own in the 'Thai fashion'.   On the off chance, while my wife was changing her blue book to the new place, I asked about a yellow book.  The answer I was given, was that I needed to be  living here, on a continuous basis, a bit longer than 3 months before they would consider it, a year was mentioned.  Clearly they make it up as they go along.  I will keep asking each 90 days until one of us gives up.  I suspect that it will be me!

And lo and behold when (and if) they inform you that you are finally eligible for a yellow book, they will probably spring a further "nice" surprise on you by insisting on you first obtaining from your Embassy a formal proof of address which then needs to be translated into Thai and verified by the MFA. That's the procedure I duly followed several years ago at my amphur's request, only to fall at the final fence when some eagle-eyed official there spotted that the Thai transliteration of my surname in the translated address proof did not exactly match my wife's as stated in her ID card! At that point I simply gave up. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

one of my previous residences' amphoe just simply didnt want to go thru the trouble , amounts to laziness, they too made up requirements on the spot, letter from embassy i recall

• Like 1

Every Amphur appears to have their own rules about the yellow book.
Some issue it on producing a passport.
Some require translation of passport and birth certificate ( and then Decree nisi, in my case).
Others, all the above plus 2 witnesses.
Oh, and now some say you have to be married to the house owner !!

I'm sure some issue it with pleasure and others make it as difficult as possible.

It's " up to you " how much you really want it.

I would like one, and the pink ID card but gave up after the hurdles.
But, I can live without it, and don't give it any thought until someone starts a thread [emoji20]

• Like 1

As everyone says the rules seem to be different everywhere.

It was up to now pretty hassle free for myself. We just went to the Amphur Office - Phanat Nikhom and asked what they required. The lady wrote down what was required.

Copy of Passport translated to Thai.

Copy of parents names DOB and where they were born translated to Thai

Copy of marraige cert.

Copy of Passport page.

2 Passport Photos.

We went in with this paperwork and the lady made an appointment for the 20th. We just need the headman to come and confirm this info is correct. This saved a visit to the embsssy for confirmation of address.

If you know the headman it may be able to help as your not married.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

What I've heard as being the usual requirement is:

- be the owner of a condo, or

- be the legal spouse of the Thai owner, or

- be the holder of a 30-year lease.

If the OP is basically a renter and has no official connection to the chanote, would any amphur issue him a yellow book?

Yes he can with permision of the house master.

Heh, I was actually meeting some resistance to my application for said Yellow Book so stealthy slid an "envelope" across the desk to her. 

That action on my part was met with a steely frown. That gal must be one of the few incorruptible Karaticans left in LOS! 555 

There is only one rule book regarding the yellow tabien baan, set by the ministry of interior. Probably DOPA. (department of provincial administration) That many amphurs don't follow the rules is something else and comes in apart because people are afraid to question them.

Just be polite and call DOP/the government information centre (1111) or the office of the National Ombudsman if the local amphur plays hardball. They will explain the rules to them if need be.

Preacher is correct. The government legislation regarding yellow house books is very clear and if you reside here permanently you are entitled to recieve one. You do not need to be married. 

I have a yellow book, I'm not married.

I obtained mine in Lam Plait Mat. Requirements were:-

Certificate of Residence issued by local Immigration Office.

Copy of main passport page + visa pages.

Translation of passport main page.

4 X passport photos.

Parents full names.

Village Head Man and another villager in attendance as witnesses.

Patience.

if you continue to meet with resistance then politely refer them to the government legislation. 

I managed to get a yellow book, the house is in the wife's name.  What I didn't know at the time was that my wife had to give the officer 4,000 Baht to process it; the reason - otherwise the application would stay at the bottom of the pile until the cows come home.  Had I known at the time, I would have told them to shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

I really can't understand all these rants about the yellow book. If it presents a problem why bother. Why do you want one? In my opinion it's an utterly useless document. It only confirms where you live. There are plenty of other means to prove this. I retired to Thailand about 30 years ago and I can not think of a single occasion where it would have been the slightest use. I have many expat friends here, most own houses or condos and none of them have a yellow book in fact they all think the whole thing is a bit of a joke.

It seems that those who have one, think it's some kind of special document that gives them special rights. The fact is they have no more special rights than someone who does not have a yellow book.

2 minutes ago, gamini said:

I really can't understand all these rants about the yellow book. If it presents a problem why bother. Why do you want one? In my opinion it's an utterly useless document. It only confirms where you live. There are plenty of other means to prove this. I retired to Thailand about 30 years ago and I can not think of a single occasion where it would have been the slightest use. I have many expat friends here, most own houses or condos and none of them have a yellow book in fact they all think the whole thing is a bit of a joke.

It seems that those who have one, think it's some kind of special document that gives them special rights. The fact is they have no more special rights than someone who does not have a yellow book.

true but you do exaggerate  rather   i have this book  and card  the reason is that i can  as for thinking  it is a special document  or i feel special is total nonsense   thirty years eh?  bit tetchy in your latter years   

It's good for the local hospital, getting a driving license & buying a car or m/bike. I'm not saying that it's the only way of doing these things, it just makes them easier...

And in my Amphoe it was relatively easy to get as long as you gave the head honcho 1k Baht, otherwise he refused to sign it..... 

5 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

Heh, I was actually meeting some resistance to my application for said Yellow Book so stealthy slid an "envelope" across the desk to her. 

That action on my part was met with a steely frown. That gal must be one of the few incorruptible Karaticans left in LOS! 555 

guess no penalty for incompleted corruption

If you live close to an immigration office, then no problem. If you don't, like me, then it is a 2 hour drive for every petty little item of government request. License, rego, mods to car, every bloody thing. A pain in the clacker.

• Like 1

Tries three times at the local Kweng.

First time he said we had to be married...we got married (not just for a yellow book)

Second time he said we needed three witnesses, one of whom was a government employee...

Third time (a non-official approach) he said if we had children he would issue one...

Talk about moving the goalposts...

1 minute ago, rawhod said:

Tries three times at the local Kweng.

First time he said we had to be married...we got married (not just for a yellow book)

Second time he said we needed three witnesses, one of whom was a government employee...

Third time (a non-official approach) he said if we had children he would issue one...

Talk about moving the goalposts...

Try the envelope method.  It didn't work for me as noted above but for a different reason.

This guy you are dealing with appears to want some 'tea money'

1 minute ago, silverado1 said:

just a question about yellow book : for someone who is married to a thai, is it not the same to be registered in the blue book of the spouse (who is housemaster) ? what difference ?  

You cannot be registered in blue house book unless you are Thai or have permanent residency. You can only get a yellow house book and be registered in it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, silverado1 said:

just a question about yellow book : for someone who is married to a thai, is it not the same to be registered in the blue book of the spouse (who is housemaster) ? what difference ?  

The Yellow Book contains just your name and lists the house number.  It's for the Farang only.

And, as been mentioned previously, you don't need to be married to get one.

Advantages for having it include the Thai price in National Park admittance etc. 

• Like 1