X-Trail vs CRV - service/maintenance/parts issue for X-trail???

I'm planning to buy either a Honda CRV or a Nissan X-trail – no other choices, that's final.

I have just over £10,000 – up to say 440,000 Baht. Approx.

That can get me either a 2008 Honda or a 2011 Nissan.

A newer model is clearly preferable, and I always fancied the X-trail back in UK – (unaffordable!)

I've lined up a Honda CRV 2.4 (bigger engine) with LPG installed, 2008 and only 115,000 kms.

The Nissan choices have slightly higher mileage but are 3 years newer than the Honda.

Thai advice is unanimous – Honda. The X-trail never took off here.

The issues:

The 1st & 2nd generation X-trails were manufactured in Indonesia, seen as a disadvantage...

Because of this – and their relative rarity here - there is a huge question mark over maintenance and servicing costs, as well as availability of parts.

IT'S THESE DOUBTS I NEED SOME ANSWERS TO – and so far have been unable to get any answers. If you have first hand experience/knowledge, please offer it.

The last thing to say is this:

The Honda is undoubtedly beautiful, whereas the Nissan considered 'ugly', - too 'boxy'.

The Honda is less basic.

But the Nissan X-trail has been the best-selling SUV in Japan for the last 8 years – and that fact tells me everything I need to know. It's also come out top in professional off-road comparison tests with its rivals – so it has the ruggedness to withstand the absolutely terrible state of my local rural roads.

Constructive thoughts please.... but pointless to stray from these two choices.

Oh.... and though not vain, I do quite like the idea of having something that not too many people have, rather than something that's so ubiquitous that it's everywhere you look on any road....

I've had an X-Trail for five years. It has been - and is - used for school trips, shopping trips in BKK, holidays to Hua Hin and further, trips up country to see the family, a bit of work up country (in the fields of Petchabhun), and pretty much everything else.

Depends what you want your SUV for... but I wouldn't change our X-Trail for a CRV.

I will add here that the CRV is seen as a more beautiful car in BKK, especially for wives doing school trips. But, for me, while the X-Trail is more boxy and less sexy, it's a bloody good all-rounder while the CRV is seen more (at least my eyes and wife's) as more of a school-run kind of car that we wouldn't be so sure about regular trips up to Petchabhun and all the work we've done up there with our X-Trail... Hope all this helps...

Edited by cms22

I bought a new CRV in 2014 and I drive from Nakhon Phanom to Prachuap KhiriKhan a few times a year, and that's about 1,200 kms. The car is very solid, spacious, comfortable, and easy to drive. I am over 70, but I no longer have the back or shoulder pain that I used to experience after long drives in other cars. I am astonished to learn that cms22 thinks that a CRV is most suitable for school runs. Is he perhaps thinking of the HRV or the even smaller one?

My ex  has had both vehicles  whilst she has been in Australia . The servicing and parts on the Honda were incredibly expensive . As a SUV it was pleasant, nothing out of the ordinary but nothing bad. She then bought a X Trial ( the first model)  and now has upgraded three times since . She loves them. My son has one and is thinking of buying another one. The X Trial was far more able as a vehicle to take down bush tracks and into the wilder areas  as well as long interstate trips and city driving. It carries more payload and is roomier inside . The X Trial was also less thirsty for fuel and there are diesel versions available if you are lucky enough to find one second hand. I also judge the quality of a vehicle by how many of the earlier models are still being driven and there are not a lot of the older CRVs around but many of the X Trials particularly the first models with the speedo cluster in the middle of the dash..Incidentally they feel much more stable and comfortable than a Fortuner on the road if that is an appropriate comment.  Yes , i would endorse the X Trial .